I'm going for a semi-idealized GB1 hero pack, with a mix of pack details. I'm not recreating a specific pack, but want it to look okay next to the others, like it were a fifth "Petzrick" pack. I want a lot of the imperfections from the screen-used packs, but I also want to finesse areas that bother my OCD.
I went back and forth to working on the shell. The GBFans shell doesn't really need much work. Mine had some clean-up areas, a small MB gap, and some minor warping. I also wanted to redo the power cell window and make some adjustments because of personal preference. And of course, I would need to fix my own mistakes.
I had seen a recommendation and a warning against doing this, and should've paid more attention to the latter. To try and fix the MB gap, I did some sanding on the bottom edges of the shell. This helped, but took off a little too much in some areas. I was able to fix those later on, but it was tricky.
I had doubts about this, but I used my heat gun and got better results. I'd get the fiberglass really, really heated up, hold it in the desired position, and repeat a bunch of times. For the thinner areas this worked without problem, but thicker areas tend to go back overtime. I've read that fiberglass cells have a long memory.
Here's fixing some slight warping on the gun mount. The heat took most of it out and I was able to fix what was left later on.
Getting the shell to lay flat was tricker. I got into a habit of re-heating the shell after I stopped working on it, and leaving it under clamps. This seems to have worked. It's been unclamped for months at a time and has stayed flat.
This was the second time I've mounted a shell to a MB, which helped. I did have an issue with my placement of the top left bracket, but fixed it later. I used steel rivets instead of aluminum, because some had gotten loose on my previous MB.*The GB2 side screws on the bumper are just there temporarily.