By ghostbobster
My son and I are huge ghostbusters fans. I ordered him the Hasbro Pulse Spengler Wand and backed the Spengler Proton pack.
He said "you know what would be cool? if you built a trap, pke meter and pair of ecto goggles in the afterlife style to go with the pack and wand!". I loved the idea and decided to tackle the Goggles first. I will be documenting my build here and listing the parts I use. My frame should be here in the next couple of days and I can really get busy on them.
In the mean time, I wanted to share what I found. I don't know if I'm late to the party or if this has already been discovered but I found the right make and model camera used in the movie prop. its a FUJIFILM Instax Mini 9 Instant Film Camera.
Sorry some of the pics are a little blurry. Of course there are some parts that need to be cut off but it's the one! I was so happy to make this discovery! Hope this helps others who want to build their own set. I will start cutting this weekend and will of course show you what I did.
Last edited by ghostbobster on December 15th, 2021, 8:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Petzrick, WhoaFoogles, METATRON and 1 others liked this
By ghostbobster
Other parts I have are the red small Momentary 12mm push button Switch, the Momentary Push Button Micro Switch, and the VCC (VISUAL COMMUNICATIONS) LED Lens, Transparent, Round, PC (Polycarbonate). The led lenses will be here tomorrow. I ordered a couple different sizes to find the correct one. Once I get them I'll post the size.
Hope this is helpful.
Kingpin, tobycj, darthbuster liked this
By Mathew_impact1
Any progress? That's a fantastic find. I've purchased a non working mini9 on eBay and hope to follow your trail.

Do you have more photos of the movie prop? Or did I miss them in another thread.

I plan to start with a heavily modified "Disguise" ecto goggles. As this is a polycarb body.
By ghostbobster
Thanks! I do have some updates. The LED lenses came in and I'm convinced it is the VCC9Visual Communications) 8.64mm
Here is what I bought from https://www.newark.com (they are probably available other places too)
I also got my Google frame and lenses. I chose theGoon's 3d version and had shapeways print it. The parts came out better than expected!
of course I will have to alter the lenses and fill some holes on the frame but there wont be as much sanding as I thought there would be. I figured it was easier to get the printed lenses and alter them than building from scratch.
I ordered the DOT snaps and some leather to make the Head Strap Harness. I ordered the nos Head Strap Harness off eBay then realized the one in afterlife has leather straps. I also found a blue vinyl/leather paint that matches what was used on the straps of the film prop.
I also stopped by the local hobby store tonight and got some plastic to start on the flash mechanism and new rings for the lenses. I also picked up the paint for the goggle frame. I will post which paint i bought after I test it and make sure its right. I want to make sure its right before I post what it is so no one buys the wrong color.
I will make a list of the parts I use and where I got them and also post progress pics.
oh yeah, After studying screen grabs and other pics, I'm pretty positive that the left lens lens has an O-ring and a thin flat ring in front of it. I'm convinced there is a pilot light cover inside behind the lens. some times you can see it, other times not. maybe behind a acrylic cabochon or something.
like this pilot light cover:
it also looks like this part of the camera may be inside the left lens as well.
since I'm making this set for my son, he wants to be able to see out of them but I'm still determined to figure out how they did the left lens!
Last edited by ghostbobster on December 15th, 2021, 8:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By ghostbobster
I will start cutting the frame in the next couple of days and take pics as I go since there are parts of the camera frame that are moved and used in different spots.
I also plan to use other parts and pieces from the camera (and other greeblies) to help detail the inside of the goggle frame.
By METATRON
Hi, very nice build. I´m working on a 3D Model for some accurate goggles at the moment for scaling it down for my daughters costumes and for having an accurate AN/PVS-5 Frame model
TheGoon´s 3d version is very nice. The work he did´t with the Head Strab is WoW, but the details aren´t right on the frame. Especially the little ears on top:

And if the the details aren´t right are the diaments of TheGoon´s Frame right?

I think it´s possible for you to sand this area down on your printed frame. Very nice printed knobs also!

Does someone have a real AN/PVS-5 night-vision goggle frame or a replica to give me the right measurements?
My work on it so far. Are my Dimensions correct?

When I put in TheGoon´s Lens Plate it doesn´t fit anymore:
Gilmortar, darthbuster liked this
By ghostbobster
a little update. DOT snaps arrived. for the padding snaps I ordered the baby DOT black posts since they are a little smaller than the regular posts and have the DOT imprint on the back so they definitely look the part.
I made the front plate out of Sintra board or sheet PVC. I then painted it with the paint i bought and I think the color is correct. I used Tamiya TS 28 Olive Drab 2. I put the Allen screws and clear LED lens cover in to see how it looks. I'm pretty happy with the results.
I cut the camera frame up to the size i needed to fit in the goggles.
i also drilled the holes for the 2 momentary switches on the right side and test fit them.
And bought a capacitor at a local surplus store. its not the exact one but will work if I can't find the exact one.
oh, and painted the switch and battery cover.
I also started working on the Flash. I'm hoping to find better reference pics with the flash up for this part.
I'm thinking about drawing up the lens rings and flash mech so they can be 3d printed. seems like it would be the easiest way to make and share them.
I'm hoping to have the goggle frame painted in the next day or 2. I'll post more pics then.
By ghostbobster
My son and I went to see Afterlife again yesterday. Man I wish I could have paused the movie on that big screen! I kept trying to see the on/ off and battery stickers. I cant tell if they are or aren't on the goggle. Maybe they are and they have been weathered enough to where they are hard to see. I don't know.
By ghostbobster
I've been working on the lower lens pieces. Like I said before the lenses I have are for 84 goggles so they need altering. One of the big issues is the bases of the lower lenses. the 84's have 2 rounded over rings and the afterlife has a knurled base.
after thinking about it for a while, I decided to try something. I found a lid around the same diameter as the base that has a knurled edge.
I bought 2 and drilled a hole in the top of the lid the same diameter as the upper part of the lower lens. I then used my dremel and a sanded the outer ring off the base. I also sanded off the threads inside the cap. I then slid it on to see how it looked and I like the look. so I glued it on, filled the seam around the lens, trimmed it and painted it.
By ghostbobster
Small update. Made the black switch on the right side of the goggles that is supposed to flip the flash up. Used styrene .060” sheet and .060” square rod. Not done smoothing out the goggles but threw some olive drab 2 on them so I could see how the switches look together along with a couple snaps. I’m still searching for the actual black ribbed switch but this will work if I can’t find it.
Real goggles:
Mine:
tobycj, darthbuster liked this
By ghostbobster
My brother 3d rendered the lens rings for me and I sent the files off to shapeways to have printed. I received them today and man am I excited! they look perfect! I had to screw the thumb screws on and take some pics. going to sand, prime and base paint them today so they will be ready to airbrush with alclad paint in a couple of days.
rendering the flash unit now.
By Kingpin
It looks like you may've accidentally added an extra rib to the black side switch... It appears there should be six raised sections, including the two curved pieces at either end.

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]