Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By RichardLess
robbritton wrote: December 10th, 2021, 4:43 am Guys, I managed to mishear a line from GB2 for 32 years and thus miss an entire joke. I always thought Ray said, "You want the baby? Go ahead and knock up some willing hell hound!". Because of that mishearing, I somehow autocorrected "knock up" into "knock together" to mean "conjure up" - so in my head, the intent of that line has always been: "you're going to need to go and get a super terrifying monster if you want to get through us to Oscar".

It was only this morning it was pointed out to me that Ray is literally telling Vigo to go and have sex with a dog.

The more you know.
This is one of my favourite lines from Ray. It’s so badass.

I think Ray might be my favourite Ghostbusters. Infact…yes. Ray is my favourite. He never seems to get enough love.
Dr.D liked this
By gerard55
robbritton wrote: December 10th, 2021, 4:43 am Guys, I managed to mishear a line from GB2 for 32 years and thus miss an entire joke. I always thought Ray said, "You want the baby? Go ahead and knock up some willing hell hound!". Because of that mishearing, I somehow autocorrected "knock up" into "knock together" to mean "conjure up" - so in my head, the intent of that line has always been: "you're going to need to go and get a super terrifying monster if you want to get through us to Oscar".

It was only this morning it was pointed out to me that Ray is literally telling Vigo to go and have sex with a dog.

The more you know.
"Knock up" can also mean make something in a hurry\conjur something up. I doubt he meant it as saying go screw a dog.
By jonogunn
gerard55 wrote: December 20th, 2021, 2:05 pm

The more you know.
"Knock up" can also mean make something in a hurry\conjur something up. I doubt he meant it as saying go screw a dog.
He meant exactly that.
By gerard55
jonogunn wrote: December 21st, 2021, 3:23 pm
gerard55 wrote: December 20th, 2021, 2:05 pm

He meant exactly that.
His actual quote is "You want A baby? Go ahead and knock up some willing hell hound". Had it been "the baby" then it would have made more sense that he was telling him to conjure something up to get past them to get to Oscar. So yeah it seems he did mean go screw a dog. :shock:
Donkey8012, robbritton liked this
By JWils23
It’s funny, I always assumed a “hell hound” was just slang for a woman who was into the occult/witch craft/black magic etc. Just like how cops and firemen have “badge bunnies” and bull riders have “buckle bunnies”, Vigo could go find a willing participant in his evil. Granted those are bunnies and not hounds but it was meant in the same light.
Last edited by JWils23 on December 21st, 2021, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By gerard55
JWils23 wrote: December 21st, 2021, 3:51 pm It’s funny, I always assumed a “hell hound” was just slang for a woman who was into the occult/satan/black magic etc. Just like how cops and firemen have badge bunnies and bull riders have buckle bunnies. Granted those are bunnies and not hounds but it was meant in the same light.
I always considered it a reference to terror dogs for some reason.
By ghoulishfright
I saw this image (below) of Jesus Christ and couldn't help but notice the strong similarity to the Ghostbusters 2 logo. It's probably just a coincidence, but it also wouldn't surprise me if Mooglie's hand gesture is indeed intended to have some double meaning as both the number two (for the sequel) and a religious or occult gesture. My understanding is that it means "blessing" in typical Catholic iconography, and since Dan Aykroyd was raised a proper Catholic, it wouldn't surprise me if he was referencing such imagery. If that's the case, then it makes me feel better about the artistic choice of the gesture, since it would give additional meaning to it beyond the simple number two, to denote a sequel which would not exist inside the universe of the film. In this way, the gesture could also mean "blessing" or "peace" in addition to (Ghostbusters) "two" or, "Hey, we're back in business for the 'second' time." For that reason, I defend the Ghostbusters 2 logo as more than just a meta-image to market the film (although, of course it functions on that level). At the very least, it is plausible that it represents more than that.

By Ecto24601
As I was watching the GB2 deleted scenes I noticed for the first time that the scene of Peter dancing, used in the end credits, actually precedes the alternate scene of the sewer invitation. It's kinda funny they used cut footage of Ernie, Bill and Slimer for the end credits.
By Winston1986
Ecto24601 wrote: February 12th, 2022, 1:58 pm As I was watching the GB2 deleted scenes I noticed for the first time that the scene of Peter dancing, used in the end credits, actually precedes the alternate scene of the sewer invitation. It's kinda funny they used cut footage of Ernie, Bill and Slimer for the end credits.
That reminds me that I wish they could have had more scenes of them in the black uniforms. They look so cool.
By ghoulishfright
Finally got around to watching Dragonslayer (1981), and I realized that Peter MacNicol's character in that film is very similar in a way to Janosz is Ghostbusters 2, in that he is the apprentice of a powerful sorcerer who bestows upon him supernatural powers and communicates with him from beyond the grave. Of course, in Dragonslayer he is the protagonist, and in Ghostbusters 2 he is the antagonist, but I'd be willing to bet the farm that Ivan Reitman or someone from the Ghostbusters 2 production saw MacNicol in Dragonslayer and thereby considered him for the role of Janosz; the parallels are just too strong. Likewise, I'm willing to bet that Mel Brooks saw MacNicol in Ghostbusters 2 and thereby cast him as Renfield in Dracula: Dead and Loving It, since Janosz is also so similar to Renfield (and Vigo to Vlad/Dracula).
By Donkey8012
gerard55 wrote: December 21st, 2021, 3:27 pm
jonogunn wrote: December 21st, 2021, 3:23 pm

He meant exactly that.
His actual quote is "You want A baby? Go ahead and knock up some willing hell hound". Had it been "the baby" then it would have made more sense that he was telling him to conjure something up to get past them to get to Oscar. So yeah it seems he did mean go screw a dog. :shock:
I'm dumbfounded that anyone could interpret what Ray says here as anything other than "If you want a baby, you should go conceive one with a female that wishes to do so." Maybe this is just sarcasm flying over my head.

He's not telling Vigo to be intimate with a canine. Seriously, guys.
By DocLathropBrown
Donkey8012 wrote: February 17th, 2022, 10:16 am I'm dumbfounded that anyone could interpret what Ray says here as anything other than "If you want a baby, you should go conceive one with a female that wishes to do so." Maybe this is just sarcasm flying over my head.

I don't see why Ray can't possibly be talking about a Hellhound, considering he says it. Is it hard to believe that a supernatural comedy would be making jokes about supernatural creatures? There's no reason to do mental backflips to avoid realizing that's the point of his joke--it's meant to insult and belittle Vigo, since he is their enemy. Case closed.
robbritton liked this
By robbritton
DocLathropBrown wrote: February 21st, 2022, 11:43 am
Donkey8012 wrote: February 17th, 2022, 10:16 am I'm dumbfounded that anyone could interpret what Ray says here as anything other than "If you want a baby, you should go conceive one with a female that wishes to do so." Maybe this is just sarcasm flying over my head.

I don't see why Ray can't possibly be talking about a Hellhound, considering he says it. Is it hard to believe that a supernatural comedy would be making jokes about supernatural creatures? There's no reason to do mental backflips to avoid realizing that's the point of his joke--it's meant to insult and belittle Vigo, since he is their enemy. Case closed.
Yep, that is 100% the implication and the gag. It's a gag I'd missed for years, but there was no denying it once I'd noticed it!
Sorry if this has been mentioned but a few years ago, I decided to keep an eye out for Christmassy things when watching this. They are rather blink and you'll miss it moments.
1. At the very beginning next to Dana's apartment, there's a garden full of Christmas trees with tan lights on them.
2. There's a Christmas Tree in Egon's lab when Dana is visiting.
3. There's a Christmas wreath in the offices of the TV station Peter works in.
4. Ray has a small Christmas tree decoration in his book store.
5. Dana has a snow globe and a wreath in her apartment.
6. When Ray and Egon first scan the street there is a Christmas Tree sale going on behind them.
7. In the montage along with the Ghostbusters wearing Santa hats there is a store with Christmas decorations in 2 display windows.
8. There's a man dressed as Santa Claus collecting money at the musem and a wreath on the wall behind the Security Guard's desk when Peter walks in to see Dana.
9. There is a Santa Claus decoration next to the exit door in Peter's apartment along with a Silver Christmas tree.
10. A Christmas Tree is next to the enterance of the building Peter is standing in front of when the other Ghostbusters drive up to tell him about the river of slime in the Vigo picture.
That is all I will put for now.
pizzarat liked this
By Kingpin
Winston1986 wrote: July 29th, 2023, 6:44 pm Sorry if this has been mentioned but a few years ago, I decided to keep an eye out for Christmassy things when watching this. They are rather blink and you'll miss it moments.
1. At the very beginning next to Dana's apartment, there's a garden full of Christmas trees with tan lights on them.
6. When Ray and Egon first scan the street there is a Christmas Tree sale going on behind them.
7. In the montage along with the Ghostbusters wearing Santa hats there is a store with Christmas decorations in 2 display windows.
8. There's a man dressed as Santa Claus collecting money at the musem and a wreath on the wall behind the Security Guard's desk when Peter walks in to see Dana.
9. There is a Santa Claus decoration next to the exit door in Peter's apartment along with a Silver Christmas tree.
10. A Christmas Tree is next to the enterance of the building Peter is standing in front of when the other Ghostbusters drive up to tell him about the river of slime in the Vigo picture.
A couple more:
11. At the start of the film, just after the carriage has rolled through the slime on the sidewalk, there's a guy carrying a Christmas Tree walking past Dana.
12. There's also planters of Poinsettias outside of Dana's appartment, which are often associated with Christmas.
13. There are Christmas lights visible on the railing of the apartment building across the street from Dana's building.
14. When Dana starts chasing the carriage, there's Christmas lights visible beyond the awning of 335 East 77th Street.
15. In the reverse-shot of Dana racing after the carriage, there appears to be a place selling Christmas trees on the far side of 77th Street, which also has a light-up Santa and reindeer fastened to its fire escape.
16. After the carriage has swerved into the street, Dana races past a apartment with a light up Santa in the window, and a wreath with fairy lights on its door.
17. When the guy honks his car horn at the carriage, you can see the another mini Christmas Tree lot on the corner of the street (this is one of the ones we see a little later on when the guys investigate 1st Avenue).
18. Dana rushes past a guy carrying a Christmas Tree over his shoulder.
19. As the carriage races past the dogs towards 1st Avenue, a few shop windows have been trimmed with Christmas lights and tinsel.
20. As the carriage enters the intersection, a cardboard Santa face is visible in a store window, this is visible again (along with some fairy lights) when Dana pulls Oscar out of the carriage.
21. Christmas lights are visible in the windows of the Hotel St. Moritz as Ecto-1 drives past, and tinsel is visible on the buggy harnessed to the grazing horse.
22. A wreath adorns the door of a apartment building as Ecto-1 pulls up in front of the brownstone hosting the birthday party.
23. There's a wreath on the door of the brownstone where the birthday party's being held, as well as on other apartment buildings across the street.
Kingpin wrote: July 29th, 2023, 8:23 pm
Winston1986 wrote: July 29th, 2023, 6:44 pm Sorry if this has been mentioned but a few years ago, I decided to keep an eye out for Christmassy things when watching this. They are rather blink and you'll miss it moments.
A couple more:
11. At the start of the film, just after the carriage has rolled through the slime on the sidewalk, there's a guy carrying a Christmas Tree walking past Dana.
12. There's also planters of Poinsettias outside of Dana's appartment, which are often associated with Christmas.
13. There are Christmas lights visible on the railing of the apartment building across the street from Dana's building.
14. When Dana starts chasing the carriage, there's Christmas lights visible beyond the awning of 335 East 77th Street.
15. In the reverse-shot of Dana racing after the carriage, there appears to be a place selling Christmas trees on the far side of 77th Street, which also has a light-up Santa and reindeer fastened to its fire escape.
16. After the carriage has swerved into the street, Dana races past a apartment with a light up Santa in the window, and a wreath with fairy lights on its door.
17. When the guy honks his car horn at the carriage, you can see the another mini Christmas Tree lot on the corner of the street (this is one of the ones we see a little later on when the guys investigate 1st Avenue).
18. Dana rushes past a guy carrying a Christmas Tree over his shoulder.
19. As the carriage races past the dogs towards 1st Avenue, a few shop windows have been trimmed with Christmas lights and tinsel.
20. As the carriage enters the intersection, a cardboard Santa face is visible in a store window, this is visible again (along with some fairy lights) when Dana pulls Oscar out of the carriage.
21. Christmas lights are visible in the windows of the Hotel St. Moritz as Ecto-1 drives past, and tinsel is visible on the buggy harnessed to the grazing horse.
22. A wreath adorns the door of a apartment building as Ecto-1 pulls up in front of the brownstone hosting the birthday party.
23. There's a wreath on the door of the brownstone where the birthday party's being held, as well as on other apartment buildings across the street.
I'll have to keep my eye out for those next time I watch. In a way it is a shame we don't get to see the Ghostbusters or Dana celebrate Christmas in the movie. But I know they have time constraints.
By ghoulishfright
It recently occurred to me that the word "hose" is a slang term for (among other things) when you jizz on (or in) someone. So, in Ghostbusters 2, when Peter tells Ray and Winston to "hose" Janosz, there is a double entendre at play. And when you think about it, the slime-blower gun is extremely phallic in nature, with its long thick shaft and tapered head. And even the positively charged mood slime which it "ejaculates" is of a cum-like consistency, and a whiter shade of pink than the rest of the mood slime seen in the film. The term "slime-blower" itself even sounds like slang for an erect penis.

I like this idea, because it's sort of a callback to the corresponding scene in the first film, when Peter tells the others to "Make 'em hard," and they extend their wands. It's another subtle dick joke. I guess you could say the yellowish proton streams are like piss, and the mood slime is like jizz. Kinda makes the final scene a lot kinkier, with four guys squirting their juice all over Vigo's dripping wet face until his head explodes.
By Kingpin
:sigh:

That's... That's a theory that maybe could've been run past someone before it got posted publicly here... :o

I think it's a little bit of a stretch... I might've been more inclined to believe the idea if Ghostbusters II had been written with the same level of adult humour as the first... But given how toned down the content was in the second movie, I'm not personally convinced on the symbolism you've proposed for the Slime Blowers... And definitely not about the Proton Streams.

Do you have anything indicating if that slang term was around/in use in the '80s? Because my first thought is that it might've been coined much more recently than when Ghostbusters II was being written.
deadderek liked this
By kahuna900
ghoulishfright wrote: September 13th, 2023, 1:12 pm It recently occurred to me that the word "hose" is a slang term for (among other things) when you jizz on (or in) someone. So, in Ghostbusters 2, when Peter tells Ray and Winston to "hose" Janosz, there is a double entendre at play. And when you think about it, the slime-blower gun is extremely phallic in nature, with its long thick shaft and tapered head. And even the positively charged mood slime which it "ejaculates" is of a cum-like consistency, and a whiter shade of pink than the rest of the mood slime seen in the film. The term "slime-blower" itself even sounds like slang for an erect penis.

I like this idea, because it's sort of a callback to the corresponding scene in the first film, when Peter tells the others to "Make 'em hard," and they extend their wands. It's another subtle dick joke. I guess you could say the yellowish proton streams are like piss, and the mood slime is like jizz. Kinda makes the final scene a lot kinkier, with four guys squirting their juice all over Vigo's dripping wet face until his head explodes.
Yikes!
Kingpin liked this
By RichardLess
ghoulishfright wrote: September 13th, 2023, 1:12 pm It recently occurred to me that the word "hose" is a slang term for (among other things) when you jizz on (or in) someone. So, in Ghostbusters 2, when Peter tells Ray and Winston to "hose" Janosz, there is a double entendre at play. And when you think about it, the slime-blower gun is extremely phallic in nature, with its long thick shaft and tapered head. And even the positively charged mood slime which it "ejaculates" is of a cum-like consistency, and a whiter shade of pink than the rest of the mood slime seen in the film. The term "slime-blower" itself even sounds like slang for an erect penis.

Today was a bad day to let my 8 year old nephew browse the GB fan forums. Also…the “make ‘em hard” is not a subtle Dick joke. It’s a Dick joke. Just not a subtle one.

So I guess when Ray & Winston slime the inside of the Statue of Liberty the movie is really making a metaphor for non consensual American Imperialism?

Honestly dude. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Or in this case, a Slime Blower is just a weaponized pressurized release system for the positively charged viscous psychomagnatheric slime.
By ghoulishfright
Kingpin wrote: September 13th, 2023, 4:16 pmI think it's a little bit of a stretch... I might've been more inclined to believe the idea if Ghostbusters II had been written with the same level of adult humour as the first... But given how toned down the content was in the second movie, I'm not personally convinced on the symbolism you've proposed for the Slime Blowers... And definitely not about the Proton Streams.

Do you have anything indicating if that slang term was around/in use in the '80s? Because my first thought is that it might've been coined much more recently than when Ghostbusters II was being written.
Actually, I'd never heard the word "hose" used as slang that often, until I read the short story "A Life in the Cinema" by Mick Garris, in which he repeatedly talks about "hosing" his Hollywood agent, a much older woman, in the sense of banging her. The story was first published in a 1988 anthology, so it was written at least as early as that year. My guess is that the word "hose" was probably used a lot more in that context during the 1980s, and at some point since then it fell out of popular usage.

And I don't think the joke would've been too risqué for GB2, in spite of its more kid friendly tone, considering (one) its subtlety and (two) that this is the same movie where we see Louis and Janine getting hot and heavy on Dana's couch.

And considering how GB2 is famous for copying the first film almost beat by beat, it would make sense for them to "slip in" another dick joke at around the same point in the movie as the "Make 'em hard" bit in the first film.

Admittedly, I could just be reading into things, but the circumstantial evidence does seem to point toward it being an intentional joke. I mean, the word "hose" seems fairly specific when Peter could've easily used any number of other verbs to express the same thing: shoot, slime, squirt, soak, spray, blast, et cetera. And he just so happens to use a word which also means "to jizz" in late '80s slang?

RichardLess wrote: September 14th, 2023, 3:47 amAlso…the “make ‘em hard” is not a subtle Dick joke. It’s a Dick joke. Just not a subtle one.
Well, to me it was a subtle joke, considering it completely flew over my head until a year or so ago. (But maybe I'm just slow.)

RichardLess wrote: September 14th, 2023, 3:47 amSo I guess when Ray & Winston slime the inside of the Statue of Liberty the movie is really making a metaphor for non consensual American Imperialism?
I never thought of that scene in the context of them "hosing" Lady Liberty's "inner walls," but now that you mention it, it is rather sexual… ("She's French, you know that.")
By Kingpin
Personally I feel the line "would you hose him please?" is more an allusion to when cops would use water hoses or cannons to dispell/discourage people... Like the infamous use in Birmingham, Alabama in 1963, or the Purple Rain protest in Cape Town in 1989 (among other examples).
By ghoulishfright
Kingpin wrote: September 14th, 2023, 3:18 pm Personally I feel the line "would you hose him please?" is more an allusion to when cops would use water hoses or cannons to dispell/discourage people... Like the infamous use in Birmingham, Alabama in 1963, or the Purple Rain protest in Cape Town in 1989 (among other examples).

Well, all I can say is that I think that interpretation would make more sense if they were supposed to be bad guys soaking him with negatively charged mood slime instead of good guys squirting him with happy-goo.

I admit I can't prove this is the meaning the filmmakers had in mind, but hey, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then…

I mean, they're sure as heck not above that kinda crude humor. This is the same film franchise where Ray gets a blowjob from a ghost. And we all know what "gate"-keeper and "key"-master really mean. It would also be typical of Dan Aykroyd's sophomoric humor (like when he uses condoms as chewing gum in Coneheads).

All I know is that for me finding an extra layer of comedy makes the movie more entertaining, so I'll stick (no pun intended) with my interpretation for now. ;)
By RichardLess
And to think I once had a comment deleted from this site that was about 1/10th as sexual as this conversation because it wasn’t in the realm of the PG-13 family friendly atmosphere.

Glad to see the site embrace a more liberal view of ghostbusters and….bodily fluids.
deadderek liked this

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

Patch 1.8.0/DLC 5 added two more -Bitter Cold: […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]