Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Bison256
So I was rewatching the first movie and I had a thought. The kids caught Zuul with the RV trap while it was possessing Callie freeing her from possession. In 1984 could Egon have exercised Vinz Clortho by simply placing a trap under Louis and activating it? Or do the terror dogs need to manifest around the host for that to work? The Video Game would imply the later, but it's schrodinger's canon.
In '84, they didn't know the full effects of the gear as they were kind of just doing things by the seat of their pants (and also the movie needed to happen)

In '21, they didn't know the full effects of the gear and made a gamble that it would work (and also the movie needed to happen)
So far, the rule seems to be, they can only be trapped post-transformation into a Terror Dog after they've possessed someone. Emphasis on "seems to be."

Funnily enough, Burnham did this years ago on the Mass Hysteria arc when Tiamat's servitor the Terror Birds transformed and chased Egon and Kylie in the Firehouse. They used standard traps while Kylie monitored them with a P.K.E. Meter to make sure the Bird's frequency was no longer present in Dana and Louis.
mrmichaelt wrote: December 5th, 2021, 4:49 pm So far, the rule seems to be, they can only be trapped post-transformation into a Terror Dog after they've possessed someone. Emphasis on "seems to be."

Funnily enough, Burnham did this years ago on the Mass Hysteria arc when Tiamat's servitor the Terror Birds transformed and chased Egon and Kylie in the Firehouse. They used standard traps while Kylie monitored them with a P.K.E. Meter to make sure the Bird's frequency was no longer present in Dana and Louis.
I'd forgotten that. We know the at least some people who worked on afterlife were fans of the game. I wonder how many read the IDW comics?
mrmichaelt wrote: December 5th, 2021, 4:49 pm So far, the rule seems to be, they can only be trapped post-transformation into a Terror Dog after they've possessed someone. Emphasis on "seems to be."

? Terror dogs were trapped both in pre possession and post. Vinz Clortho at the start of the film, Zuul at the end. One was pre and one was post. Also I would concur that in 84 they had never encountered these beings before and in between 1984 and 2021 Egon had decades to research the potential effects the Muon trap could have on the Terror Dogs with a host and with out.
RealGhostbusterJay wrote: December 6th, 2021, 1:55 am ? Terror dogs were trapped both in pre possession and post. Vinz Clortho at the start of the film, Zuul at the end. One was pre and one was post. Also I would concur that in 84 they had never encountered these beings before and in between 1984 and 2021 Egon had decades to research the potential effects the Muon trap could have on the Terror Dogs with a host and with out.
Good point. But I contend they didn't show us how he trapped Vinz.
I think they mostly exercised them by getting them to chase the RC trap.
mrmichaelt, gerard55, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
robbritton wrote: December 6th, 2021, 4:02 am I think they mostly exercised them by getting them to chase the RC trap.
Slow clap.

I saw this topic and couldn't figure out how to point out the typo without sounding like a stuffy old codger, so I opted not to comment.

Wish I'd thought of this approach.

Alex
robbritton liked this

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]