Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
mrmichaelt wrote: December 1st, 2021, 2:28 am Anyone figure out that sequence of numbers Phoebe stares out upon entering the house for the first time?
I don't know this for sure, but my "nerd sense" said they're maybe digits from the decimal value of pi (which being an irrational number, never ends). But I suppose that could have occurred to me because of a somewhat similar puzzle sequence in a recent episode of the anime Fire Force.

Maybe the Blu-Ray/DVD commentary track will help. :lol:
RichardLess wrote:
GhostbustersZorge wrote: November 30th, 2021, 1:18 pm He had one but left it behind in the crashed truck since carrying it would have slown him down too much at that moment. He was hurt and needed to get to the farm asap.
Slow him down? It would’ve saved his life. Is a proton pack shown in the truck? I don’t recall seeing one.
Well there is clearly a proton pack heard and a proton beam shot up into the sky before the truck drives away. Sure we don't see Egon taking the pack back into the truck, but i would guess he did.
Fritz wrote: December 1st, 2021, 6:28 am I don't know this for sure, but my "nerd sense" said they're maybe digits from the decimal value of pi (which being an irrational number, never ends). But I suppose that could have occurred to me because of a somewhat similar puzzle sequence in a recent episode of the anime Fire Force.

Maybe the Blu-Ray/DVD commentary track will help. :lol:
I jotted it down in the dark to the best of my ability. And granted I only got some of it "3811432150115961607178" - I plugged it into a pi sequence search and didn't get anything.

Yeah, it's got to be something famous. Or considering Shandor's triangle motif, some triangle related numerical sequence.
Did anyone like Netflix's He-man? Revelations? While i'm a huge Kevin Smith fan after that debacle are we safe to say we don't want him anywhere near Ghostbusters? The reason I bring this up is he's good friend's with Jason. Would anyone be keen on the idea of Kevin writing his own Ghostbusters series?
timeware wrote: December 1st, 2021, 7:46 am Did anyone like Netflix's He-man? Revelations? While i'm a huge Kevin Smith fan after that debacle are we safe to say we don't want him anywhere near Ghostbusters? The reason I bring this up is he's good friend's with Jason. Would anyone be keen on the idea of Kevin writing his own Ghostbusters series?
I’m a huge fan of Kevin Smith but no I don’t want him near any major projects.
timeware liked this
I get the feeling Egon had to act immediately. His souped up proton pack wasn't finished, he didn't test his modified grain silo capacitors and he lacked any back up plan.

Of course in a meta sense he was destined to fail, the story ends if he succeeded and his actor/creator is no longer with us
We don't really know what occurred in the mine at the start of the film. We have no idea how Egon managed to trap one of the terror dogs. Maybe the stream at the beginning wasn't from a traditional proton pack, but the array he set up. We also don't know if Egon knew a terror dog was going to emerge or not, or if a second terror dog was going to give chase or not. Was the original plan to lure both of the terror dogs to the farm and trap them, thereby preventing Gozer from ever coming back? Or was that a plan B in the event that the proton stream array failed? Lots of unknowns here.
Ecto24601 liked this
jimmyjokerz wrote: November 30th, 2021, 8:01 pm Even though I’m not a fan of the OGs just showing up at the end without a backstory, I can see why they did it - otherwise that surprise wouldn’t have been there. The more I watch it, it is a really cool surprise
I think it's important to keep this in mind. Of course we knew the OGs would be involved from the beginning and as fans we would have loved even just an extra scene or two with them coming together after the phone call - but it would've done this story a disservice and undercut the suspense heading into the third act. Phoebe's call with Ray ended with her thinking they were pretty much on their own with this - if it then cut to showing the guys getting together it would've been silly seeing the kids try to take on Gozer by themselves, as an audience you'd be thinking, hey just wait the Ghostbusters are on their way. Although I do think it would've been cool if Phoebe tried that number again when she got home, and you just see a ringing phone with no one there.
tylergfoster wrote: November 30th, 2021, 10:51 pm 1) The film should've developed the fractured relationship between Phoebe and Callie more as a reflection of Callie's relationship with Egon, with Phoebe's similarities to Egon being part of why Callie struggles so much.
Definitely. I think one of my favorite scenes is when she confronts her about her grandfather being a Ghostbuster and it really solidifies that Egon's personality and love of science really skipped a generation. I'm wondering if it would have been better if Phoebe was an only child and "Trevor" was instead another friend she makes along with Podcast (and maybe Lucky too). Or they're the cool older kids who get roped into it halfway through - either way you'd need someone to drive the car. I feel like the scenes of him at his job and the budding romance could have been replaced with more scenes with Phoebe, either at home or with Podcast or Grooberson, she could have been the one hanging out with them by the mine, etc..
tylergfoster liked this
Are the numbers in Egon’s house the same as in the mine? Meaning years counting down to the 2021. We do not get a good look of those in his house. They would be different numbers at a earlier point in the sequence. It could have been him trying to decipher what those meant.

Not sure if anyone has wondered this - everyone assume the digitally altered the year from 2020 to 2021 when the release was delayed? It would be easy to do. Along with the dialogue being altered n post production.

Sometimes the dates in movies take place in near future before they actually are released.
Avilos wrote: December 1st, 2021, 11:10 am Not sure if anyone has wondered this - everyone assume the digitally altered the year from 2020 to 2021 when the release was delayed? It would be easy to do. Along with the dialogue being altered n post production.
Probably what happened. But they missed the part where someone says Shandor's been dead for "seventy-five years", which matches 1945-2020, instead of the "new" actual seventy-six (1945-2021). Might have figured "Eh, if anybody notices we'll say they were rounding off" :lol:
I like the idea of Trevor and Lucky being switched for the final Terror Dog possession. A lot. Is it possible that there has to be a male/female dynamic for Vinz and Zuul? Grooberson was still transformed as I remember. Trevor as a character was pretty ineffective, but I did like him more the second time around.
deadderek liked this
Avilos wrote: December 1st, 2021, 11:10 am Are the numbers in Egon’s house the same as in the mine? Meaning years counting down to the 2021. We do not get a good look of those in his house. They would be different numbers at a earlier point in the sequence. It could have been him trying to decipher what those meant.

Not sure if anyone has wondered this - everyone assume the digitally altered the year from 2020 to 2021 when the release was delayed? It would be easy to do. Along with the dialogue being altered n post production.

Sometimes the dates in movies take place in near future before they actually are released.
Funny how they always get numbers wrong like the Tunguska Blast of 1909 which was actually on 1908 or Revelations 7:12 that's actually 6:12 and now if the Covid 19 pandemic happens in the movie universe they'll have the years different lol.
TheManEatingToaster wrote: December 1st, 2021, 4:18 pm Funny how they always get numbers wrong like the Tunguska Blast of 1909 which was actually on 1908 or Revelations 7:12 that's actually 6:12 and now if the Covid 19 pandemic happens in the movie universe they'll have the years different lol.
Note that in both those cases it was Ray getting those numbers wrong. Common fan conjecture is that he's a slight bit dysnumeric (like dyslexia for numbers). I know I intentionally have him get a date or number wrong every once in a while in my fan fic.
RichardLess wrote: November 30th, 2021, 8:40 pm
mrmichaelt wrote: November 30th, 2021, 5:00 pm
It would have taken too much time, which was running out, to go under into the flipped over truck in his state and retrieve it. Zuul would have killed him then and there, crushed the trap to free Vinz, and apocalypse. He needed only the Trap holding Vinz as bait to lure Zuul to the Trap field. However, thanks to the capacitors not working as they should have, the Trap field was a no-go. He likely knew he couldn't get to his lab and finish the pack in time before Zuul arrived and get back to the front and fix the power issue with the Trap field like Trevor did.

EDIT: Jason posted more bts photos

-B&W version of Ivan suited up but Jason states Ivan was used for only 1 insert shot.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CWvtqagpy_C/

-Logan and Mckenna between takes in the Turner plant
https://www.instagram.com/p/CW3VRkopHat/

-Mckenna in the dry ice in the Farmhouse.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CW6vFvvPjMk/

-Audouy (I think) trying on a Terror Dog head
https://www.instagram.com/p/CWyQ29IpgIA/
But…he was in the flipped truck. He wouldn’t have to go back into the truck. But I don’t think we saw a proton pack did we? I’ll have to look out for that when I rewatch it. But if your being chased by something and you have a weapon in the car, and the car flips. I’m grabbing the weapon. But again…we aren’t even sure if he had a proton pack. If he did I imagine the cops wouldn’t have known what it is when they found the flipped truck and returned it.
The only thing shown in the truck with egon is the trap under a piece of cloth, the only real options i see for the opening are:

1: He had one and ditched it to be able to move faster to get to the truck to get back to the farm, though why the beam would be coming directly out of the top of the mountain when trapping a Terror Dog is another question with no answers. Maybe he was firing it at the second mutt and put into operation the above plan to ditch it and get back to the truck faster as mutt #2 was in invisible mode?

2: The proton blast seen coming out of the mountain had something to do with the 4 wand setup.

Since we don't see it in the truck i don't really see it being anything else.
Jason posted a photo of the script given to Bill Murray to read. Draft was dated 7/4/19.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CW8lvSxvOkf/

Movie ticket in Japan and a Puft merch, not sure what it is.
https://twitter.com/Ghostbusters_JP/sta ... 3925434368

Blitzway is doing a 1/6 scale Wrecto.
https://ghostbustersnews.com/2021/12/01 ... fe-ecto-1/

YHS posted a 43 min. interview with Logan Kim.
Wafflerobot liked this
timeware wrote: December 1st, 2021, 7:46 am Did anyone like Netflix's He-man? Revelations? While i'm a huge Kevin Smith fan after that debacle are we safe to say we don't want him anywhere near Ghostbusters? The reason I bring this up is he's good friend's with Jason. Would anyone be keen on the idea of Kevin writing his own Ghostbusters series?
No.

I feel like the only person out there who might be about to nail Ghostbuster is…

Dan Harmon & his team.

But I could see..
Maybe Phil Lord & Chris Miller.
Or
Taika Waititi has that really dry sense of humour.

Greg Daniels & Michael Schur would be my choice for a TV series. They are comedy geniuses. Just look up their resume.

I feel like a Ghostbusters TV series could work if you totally revamp what a Ghostbusters story is. It would be radically different from the movie. I’d like something more akin to a workplace comedy ala The Office/Parks & Rec/Brooklyn 99. Maybe like. Faux documentary feel where we follow Gb’s around like in The Office.

Has anyone seen “What we Do in the Shadows”?? Imagine that but ghostbusters.
mrmichaelt liked this
Maybe they could pick up the phone and give J. Michael Straczynski his due?

Get Aykroyd, Straczynski, Kenan and Reitman and your lead comedic actor/director in a room with a bottle of Crystal Head vodka and let them all rattle out a universe bible and multi-movie arc.

Also Ben Schwartz would be perfect casting for a Ghostbusters movie.
I think Josh Heald, Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg, the guys behind Cobra Kai would also be a good fit. Maybe even the people behind Ash Vs. Evil Dead or a combination of them working together would create a good Ghostbusters Tv series. A good blend between family show and horror. Both teams are capable of bringing the funny and unexpected.

Five years ago i'd have been on board with Kevin Smith, but he's become the version of George Lucas Dante is grilling at this trial. Revelations was Kevin's Episode One.

timeware wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 1:46 am I think Josh Heald, Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg, the guys behind Cobra Kai would also be a good fit. Maybe even the people behind Ash Vs. Evil Dead or a combination of them working together would create a good Ghostbusters Tv series. A good blend between family show and horror. Both teams are capable of bringing the funny and unexpected.

Five years ago i'd have been on board with Kevin Smith, but he's become the version of George Lucas Dante is grilling at this trial. Revelations was Kevin's Episode One.

I guess you mean it was his “episode one” in a bad way? I love Episode 1 & I enjoyed his He Man animated series. But I’ve never really been a fan of his. The closest thing he’s done in Ghostbusters style is Dogma and…yeah. That was literally the last movie he made that had any sort of quality to it. Kevin Smith relies too much on pop culture references in his work and those jokes tend not to age well. Plus he works only in the R rating realm.

But an R Rated Ghostbusters is something I want to see. I think it would shake the formula up a bit. Make it scarier and more adult.
I liked Episode one but I wasn't a fan of the new he-man.

While Hamil did a good job with Skeletor I wish he would have pitched up his voice instead of sticking to straight up Joker. The animation was just...I don't know I didn't think it was a good fit for the series. If they called it Tee-La that would have made more sense.

But yeah a new team with an R rated series I would totally be for. If they could get Sam Rami to direct it that would be a good fit.
Aaaand back to the good old days of picking writers, directors and actors for the next Ghostbusters project 😁 it feels good, really. I was afraid of a large void after the release of Afterlife, it feels great to be still here nitpicking the next project.

After three visions I came to a conclusion of why I feel so positively, strangely awkward towards this movie.

We waited so long for a Ghostbusters 3. We waited for a movie where our heroes would come epically back, save the world and train a new team. We all dreamed of a scene where the Guys would suit up on the notes of an epic score, after starting the movie disbanded and forgotten.

What we had.... Was good. Not Oscar worthy but good. It served its purpose: reintroducing the old fans in that universe and enticing the new generations in discovering what Ghostbusters was and still is; it was a Ghostbusters 2.5.
I have the feeling that the next movie will be Ghostbusters 3. Back in New York, the Firehouse in dire condition, the ECU on the verge of exploding.
When you need the technical competence to fix a run down paranormal extermination business, when New York is in danger, when there is no one to turn on to..... Who Ya Gonna Call?
Honestly, I thought that the red flashing light on the containment unit was not a sign that the ECU was faulty. That light indicates there is a loaded trap still sitting in the ECU. It isn't the big red emergency light. So to me, there is a possibility that Slimer was put in the trap for safe-keeping or there is another baddie in there that will wreck havoc on New York when Winston or someone else opens it.

One thing I mentioned in this thread viewtopic.php?p=4962402#p4962402 is that I actually would prefer something different than another movie. What if they could do a live-action version of The Real/Extreme Ghostbusters? One-Hour episodes, done on streaming services so that they don't need to fit standard television commercial breaks and things. I think there are a lot of ways that could work to build new characters and to also ensure that we have some variety in terms of the ghosts.
Corey91, THawke liked this
What we had.... Was good. Not Oscar worthy but good. It served its purpose: reintroducing the old fans in that universe and enticing the new generations in discovering what Ghostbusters was and still is; it was a Ghostbusters 2.5.
Of course Afterlife wasn't Oscar worthy they forgot all about him! Lol.
Corey91, Davideverona, deadderek and 2 others liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 1:35 am Maybe they could pick up the phone and give J. Michael Straczynski his due?

Get Aykroyd, Straczynski, Kenan and Reitman and your lead comedic actor/director in a room with a bottle of Crystal Head vodka and let them all rattle out a universe bible and multi-movie arc.

Also Ben Schwartz would be perfect casting for a Ghostbusters movie.
It seems like the obvious move, doesn't it? I'd love to know if JMS has seen Ghostbusters: Afterlife, and if so, what he thought of it. I'd also like to know how he'd "fan fix" some of the issues we've identified, as he was tasked with fixing Janine's drastic change in RGB.
JMS is perhaps seen as an obscure pick by the studio. Correct me if I'm wrong but we haven't seen any evidence he was contacted or involved with fan fests , new promo etc - potentially because he was considered a hired gun or exercised too much creative control over the cartoon, idk and can only speculate. He may have been contacted and isn't interested in working with the IP, but his tweets suggested he would be open to more RGB.

He is patently a strong writer with a proven record handling this IP, so why not get him on board given his history with the franchise? It seems like it would be a bankable decision.
Timo liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote:JMS is perhaps seen as an obscure pick by the studio. Correct me if I'm wrong but we haven't seen any evidence he was contacted or involved with fan fests , new promo etc - potentially because he was considered a hired gun or exercised too much creative control over the cartoon, idk and can only speculate. He may have been contacted and isn't interested in working with the IP, but his tweets suggested he would be open to more RGB.

He is patently a strong writer with a proven record handling this IP, so why not get him on board given his history with the franchise? It seems like it would be a bankable decision.
100%. He understands the IP as well as anybody. I feel like if you put him and Aykroyd in room, you'd end up with something special. That's not to say Reitman and Kenan shouldn't be involved, but in terms of technobabble, lore, etc., Aykroyd and JMS are the way to go.
Timo liked this
If anyone missed out, AMC put the popcorn holder back up but it's backordered until next month.
https://www.amctheatresmoviemerchandise ... tainer.htm

Jason posted a photo of when Logan tried on the Ecto Goggles for the first time.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CW_MOOyJVue/

Jason also posted an instagram story with a photo of the Shandor truck
https://www.instagram.com/stories/jason ... 573211153/

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

Patch 1.8.0/DLC 5 added two more -Bitter Cold: […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]