Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
I have to say I enjoyed Afterlife SOOOOO MUCH MORE the second time around. On first viewing, it felt like a daze to take it all in which left me feeling underwhelmed, but the emotional weight really hit home stronger when I saw the movie again. I had to ferociously dry my eyes when the theater was dark so no one could see me crying. LOL.

My only remaining gripes are a lack of Gozer using its power, lack of the OGs and the heavy editing.

As far as the reason why there were multiple Gozerian temples: maybe Shandor and the modern-day worshippers are only a small piece of a complex Gozerian puzzle? Perhaps there are temples all over the planet and each represents a time when Gozer is prophesied to emerge?
K_Centric0001 wrote: November 25th, 2021, 10:36 am
GhostFaceX wrote: November 24th, 2021, 8:16 pm

Not trying to be mean, but honestly you are waaay off if you think that.
Possibly. But I'm just trying to be logical with it. They made a fuss out of Paul Rudd as if he was the next Bill Murray. I don't think they are done with him. And i could see them picking him more than Phoebe's character.

The kids in this will be late teens by the time they make the next movie. and lets be honest, if there is a sequel, Sony will jump on that ASAP. And the concept of Winston hiring teenagers works for Extreme Ghostbusters. But i dunno if i buy it happening in movies.
In general the idea of a 12 year old girl being a lead gb and operating a proton pack doesn’t sound like it would look epic on screen compared to grown men. But Phoebe totally owned the proton pack. Her tomboy, scientific and curious mind making her more curious than cautious totally worked and I found every scene of her firing the wand just as epic as any of the OG guys
jonogunn wrote: November 25th, 2021, 12:36 pm
K_Centric0001 wrote: November 25th, 2021, 10:36 am

Possibly. But I'm just trying to be logical with it. They made a fuss out of Paul Rudd as if he was the next Bill Murray. I don't think they are done with him. And i could see them picking him more than Phoebe's character.

The kids in this will be late teens by the time they make the next movie. and lets be honest, if there is a sequel, Sony will jump on that ASAP. And the concept of Winston hiring teenagers works for Extreme Ghostbusters. But i dunno if i buy it happening in movies.
In general the idea of a 12 year old girl being a lead gb and operating a proton pack doesn’t sound like it would look epic on screen compared to grown men. But Phoebe totally owned the proton pack. Her tomboy, scientific and curious mind making her more curious than cautious totally worked and I found every scene of her firing the wand just as epic as any of the OG guys
Well remember Reitman has never suggested Afterlife and its characters were THE restarting point. His argument has always been that this was about opening up the universe to different directions of various ghostbuster stories. Not so much that this was all a setup for these characters to grow up from the age of 12 in 2021 and be the new business ghostbusters.

And if they made another that followed up from the last one. yeah i could see a bunch of new characters with Paul Rudd filling a spot. Obviously, it would be in the same universe as Afterlife. And those characters would still be around. But then i imagine Sony would love to milk ghostbusters in several different movies if they could.
K_Centric0001 wrote: November 25th, 2021, 12:50 pm

Well remember Reitman has never suggested Afterlife and its characters were THE restarting point. His argument has always been that this was about opening up the universe to different directions of various ghostbuster stories. Not so much that this was all a setup for these characters to grow up from the age of 12 in 2021 and be the new business ghostbusters.

And if they made another that followed up from the last one. yeah i could see a bunch of new characters with Paul Rudd filling a spot. Obviously, it would be in the same universe as Afterlife. And those characters would still be around. But then i imagine Sony would love to milk ghostbusters in several different movies if they could.
I just don’t see how they wouldn’t bring Phoebe back. Her character was a stand out and easily fills the Egon/brains of the team role.
Alphagaia liked this
K_Centric0001 wrote: November 25th, 2021, 10:37 amGhostbusters: Afterlife – Jason Reitman Finally Addresses the Biggest Spoilers in the Movie

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/ghostb ... -spoilers/
It’s interesting that he does not want to address the specifics off that moment yet.

But check Twitter - Bob Gunton shared a brief post of his involvement. Also today Mckenna Grace shared on Twitter and Instagram pictures and video of her preparing for that scene. Interestingly Ivan Reitman is standing behind her in a Spengler suit. I am guessing to help explain to her how to stage the scene?? They are backstage, no green screen or sets.

I have no doubt we will see more of Mckenna as Phoebe in the future. That is the one sure thing. She is loved doing this.
I viewed it a second yesterday and will see it again tomorrow. I enjoyed it even more the second time. All that tension and build-up was gone. I stand by my first impression. The movie is awesome. Fantastic. It's so entertaining, this is why I love to go to the cinema. It's a rollercoaster of emotions, what a ride from start to finish. It might become my favorite ghostbusters movie. The acting is so natural, it's amazing. And Jason is a great storyteller. I still have some bits but others I am more forgiving.

Saw the giga meter (yeah!) but I could not catch the slinky. But I caught Brownstone Boy #2's very first cameo! Blink and you'll miss it. The earliest date at the "Callie's photo wall" I could spot was 1983, but it didn't say birth or something like that. Safe to say she was born earlier.

Phoebe's call with Ray. In all my excitement of seeing Ray Stantz again, and the shock of him turning on Egon I had not noticed on first viewing that he was totally cut short when he said "I wanted to believe him...". So there's more to it than just Ray hating Egon. We just don't know. It's not perfect but it works in the context of the movie. It grew on me.

The OG busters in the finale are great. They have great chemistry, Venkman is actually funny and Murray (at least in the German dubbing) has great lines and sounds like Venkman again. Guess I was too overwhelmed when I first said it's a bit lackluster.

Ivo Shandor looks exactly as he did in the video game. The exact age and hair style. Consider the game canon or not, this is a nod to it and I love it.

Phoebe pulling the wand on the sheriff is a total callback to Egon going against "You mother!!" Peck. They share that same Spengler-rage!

I WISH they had kept the scene after she repairs the proton pack. I highly guess it's Egon's ghost who demonstrated her how she has to operate the pack. And I just want to see her popping corn!

Ghost-Egon looks so freakin perfect. I can't get over HOW GOOD he's been done. Bravo.

Trevor repairing Ecto felt out of sequence this time. Also I wish there had been a moment of him saying "What the heck is this car?" and trying out all the knobs and switches. Dude, you just found one of the strangest cars you've ever seen! Highly dislike the "what a shitbox" line.

Podcast wears the Ecto goggles but for no apparent reason other than them being a cool polaroid camera. As we don't get his POV wearing them at any point in the movie we can only speculate but I have one theory about it. The goggles are linked to the RTV. That's why he's able to steer it so expertly. Now I will need to see tomorrow if he wears them all the time when he steers the RTV at least in the chase sequences. But it would make sense.

Speaking of sense. Egon's farm trap kinda doesn't make sense? If he built it to trap Gozer he clearly tries to pull it on one of the terror dogs in the prologue. But he was able to catch one of them with one single trap already. So, why? What's the intention. What's his plan? And why is the gateway active and only kept at bay by Egon's fail-safe if there's no active keymaster and gatekeeper?

Looking forward to catch more details tomorrow. And check out this Jason Reitman interview by Collider. Interviewer asks all the right questions:

Last edited by Ecto24601 on November 25th, 2021, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am seeing it a 4th time today. Something that increases with each viewing is I “see” Egon in all the scenes were he is an invisible ghost. Not literally. But I feel and imagine his character like he is in the room.

Another thing is that intentional or not there seems to be an influence of Harold Ramis’ work outside of Ghostbusters. GB did not have these types of emotional scenes before this. But look to Groundhog Day which he directed. Which often is a comedy but goes into deep issues about life and death and morality.
This movie is a fitting tribute to the many facets of his career.
A cast and crew photo taken when the final battle was filmed.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CWtMKfVv47A/

The Mckenna Grace tweet with the video of her and Ivan.
https://twitter.com/MckennaGraceful/sta ... 7588700160

Photo of Ivan standing in as Egon in that scene
https://ghostbustersnews.com/2021/11/25 ... afterlife/
Styrofoam_Guy wrote: November 25th, 2021, 3:13 pm Does anyone know if there will be a novelization of the movie?

I remember the one for Star Wars Rogue one and it added so much to the movie. I hope one for Afterlife will fill in a lot of the blanks.
A couple weeks ago, Eric Reich responded the only book will be The Art and Making of The Movie and there won't be novelizations (weird but I guess they wanted to avoid spoilers leaking early/covid caused logisitic issues, idk).
GhostFaceX wrote: November 25th, 2021, 5:30 pm Ohhh that was Ivan??? Who did Oliver cooper play?
Cooper isn't in the end credits. I guess he was Egon in the cold open? Not sure his role was revealed yet. So like Gozer, looks like 3 people helped portray Egon.

J.K. Simmons got to watch the animatronic of himself being ripped in half.

29:32-30:33
That's actually an animatronic puppet so when he gets ripped in half, yeah, I remember we had a conversation with the visual effects team and they're like, "All right, we've budgeted a lot for this human body getting ripped in half," and I was like, "Oh, no, no, no, we're doing that practically." "What?" Yeah and I remember like being "Yeah, it's really simple you know it's just going to be like you know we'll draw-we'll draw like a it'll be like it's like a it will make like a head with a body and you'll see her face like in between it and yeah and like and then I talked to Aryan who's the brilliant you know creature creator who brought the Terror Dogs back to life and he was totally into it and we created this like switchblading mechanism that was a body into and we just filled it with goo and then you just rip it right apart and that was a delight.

30:40-30:46
Well, he got to watch himself get ripped apart which I think was kind of fun, too, you know he actually like got to see his own body rip into which yeah don't we all--
TheManEatingToaster wrote: November 26th, 2021, 12:05 am Did anybody see the toaster from GB2 in the movie? It was on Adam Savage's tour video but I never saw it on the actual movie.
No, I'm fairly sure the kitchen wasn't shown. As some have speculated, there was likely a kitchen scene when Callie gave Gary a tour of the house and that's when the toaster cameo would have been.
Hairy Biker wrote: November 25th, 2021, 9:02 pm I was under the impression Bob Gunton was Egon in the opening.
Hm, now you got me thinking. I was under the impression Gunton was doing the spectral Egon (replacing the head in post production) and Cooper doing the opening sequence, as the car chase briefly showed some face characteristics. Could be the other way around, though.
mrmichaelt wrote: November 26th, 2021, 1:03 am
TheManEatingToaster wrote: November 26th, 2021, 12:05 am Did anybody see the toaster from GB2 in the movie? It was on Adam Savage's tour video but I never saw it on the actual movie.
No, I'm fairly sure the kitchen wasn't shown. As some have speculated, there was likely a kitchen scene when Callie gave Gary a tour of the house and that's when the toaster cameo would have been.
Phoebe does say she had toast for breakfast when Podcast is interviewing her for his podcast, so I presumed there was a deleted breakfast scene that was set in the kitchen.

Alex
By the time production would start on the next movie Mckenna will be 16 or 17.
Bison256 wrote: November 26th, 2021, 9:23 am
By the time production would start on the next movie Mckenna will be 16 or 17.
At which point she could still play a role of 13-15. Even then, I could imagine the next movie taking place anywhere from 2-3 years after the last, if they did do it as a continuation from Afterlife. So it wouldn't be a stretch as far as how she looks.
For anyone that has seen the movie a few times, did anyone notice an odd sound effect the first time Phoebe uses the thrower against Muncher? I swear they dubbed in Venkman when he’s going “alright alright alright oh oh” to Spengler in the ballroom scene when he’s firing at slimer behind the bar with the proton stream sfx. It’s the one and only time you ever hear it when anyone is firing and the only time you hear it when being fired at muncher specifically. My first viewing I thought maybe I was hearing things but seeing it again and really trying to listen I swear it’s there. If it’s true that’s a pretty awesome little Easter egg for the first time each Spengler really goes after a ghost.
Avilos wrote: November 25th, 2021, 2:59 pm But check Twitter - Bob Gunton shared a brief post of his involvement.
Have you got a link for that? I tried to locate it but didn't spot it.

I did however get reminded that the title of his memoirs is a line he speaks in the film Shawshank Redemption, "Or am I being obtuse?" and that hits differently now that we've seen Afterlife, LOL.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/7cd21583-5 ... 742e46ed93

Alex
Alex Newborn wrote: November 26th, 2021, 8:53 am
mrmichaelt wrote: November 26th, 2021, 1:03 am
Phoebe does say she had toast for breakfast when Podcast is interviewing her for his podcast, so I presumed there was a deleted breakfast scene that was set in the kitchen.

Alex
I wish they kept in those scenes, the entire house had so many hidden details, in Adam Savage's video there were Cheez-Its boxes, old Crunch bars and even the Toastmaster box.

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]