Prime 1986 wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 6:01 am Anybody notice that there's a button on the powercell?
think it's there to turn the pack on?
I know that button wasn't in GB I or II and I don't remember it in Afterlife either
The power switch is that red thing that’s kind of obscured behind the yellow tube in the photo you posted. You can see it used in that same afterlife clip we keep discussing that’s been on YouTube for a few weeks now, with Phoebe’s pack test.
This bugged me in the video game too so maybe someone can clarify. On the left and right of the bumper it looks like there's rivets that fasten it to the sides of the cyclotron. In the game these areas simply move forward as if they weren't bolted to the pack at all. Similarly in Afterlife they don't seem to be what keeps the bumper in place. Were they never bolts meant to be what fastens it there or did the game and Afterlife goof?
ZLevee wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 9:30 pm
Prime 1986 wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 6:01 am Anybody notice that there's a button on the powercell?
I know that button wasn't in GB I or II and I don't remember it in Afterlife either
The power switch is that red thing that’s kind of obscured behind the yellow tube in the photo you posted. You can see it used in that same afterlife clip we keep discussing that’s been on YouTube for a few weeks now, with Phoebe’s pack test.
If I'm not mistaken isn't that the release button for the compartment that's tucked within the power cell area? 14 minute mark in the Adam Savage preview video. https://youtu.be/Uc2jXrxI1SU?t=831
VenomSymbiote wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 11:07 pm This bugged me in the video game too so maybe someone can clarify. On the left and right of the bumper it looks like there's rivets that fasten it to the sides of the cyclotron. In the game these areas simply move forward as if they weren't bolted to the pack at all. Similarly in Afterlife they don't seem to be what keeps the bumper in place. Were they never bolts meant to be what fastens it there or did the game and Afterlife goof?
Game goofed, yes. In the movie, the bumper is already detached, so it likely is still supposed to be bolted on, in-universe. My guess is on the prop it's just cosmetic, however.
The Hasbro pack omits this and it just slides off once the shock mount is unscrewed.
GhostFaceX wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 11:58 pm So I'm pretty sure those Tested videos with the Plasma series products were filmed like a year ago right? I'm sure they had all this planned until covid delayed things.
I'm sure the tested video which premiered today was filmed recently.
VenomSymbiote liked this
You have to take what Adam says with a little pinch of salt because he's a presenter. The video of him going over the neutrona wand may have been filmed some time ago but it was only released 4 weeks ago on his channel. The pack video may have been filmed a lot more recently. The magic of production :)
ZLevee liked this
When I wrote that I completely forgot about the red switch! I was kinda right about it being a button though
ZLevee liked this
Prime 1986 wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 5:29 am
When I wrote that I completely forgot about the red switch! I was kinda right about it being a button though
You were lol. I thought it was funny reading your message about it then shortly after seeing the texted video. It’s like you got some sixth sense about these things.
jonogunn wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 6:58 am
Prime 1986 wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 5:29 am
You were lol. I thought it was funny reading your message about it then shortly after seeing the texted video. It’s like you got some sixth sense about these things.
Lol! yeah I watched the Tested vid like 10 mins after posting that. It was a bit tall to look like a normal screw head. Especially because they scanned the original prop it's like something was up with it
Mercifull wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 5:25 am You have to take what Adam says with a little pinch of salt because he's a presenter. The video of him going over the neutrona wand may have been filmed some time ago but it was only released 4 weeks ago on his channel. The pack video may have been filmed a lot more recently. The magic of production :)
I cringe every time Adam brings up the dixie cup v hook.. I'm pretty sure, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that is just what some fans used as an affordable and somewhat easy to find alternative to the screen accurate pieces... but the movies did not use a dixie cup holder..
When Adam started talking about modding the pack and noticed the "wires" were on a separate piece that looked like it could be removed, the look on the guys face screamed "we're not supposed to talk about that" and he was quick to say "This is an Afterlife pack." It almost made me think the developers are trying to sneak the ways to mod it to an 84 pack past corporate, as they're only allowed to make an Afterlife pack? Like "we can't tell you how to mod your pack, but coincidentally, all the parts that make it an Afterlife pack can be removed, wink wink nudge nudge."

Either way, that video made me 10x more hyped for this pack. I'll admit that I ordered 2 with the intent of selling one, but after Tested's video, I'm considering keeping both.
Spidon wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 9:47 am When Adam started talking about modding the pack and noticed the "wires" were on a separate piece that looked like it could be removed, the look on the guys face screamed "we're not supposed to talk about that" and he was quick to say "This is an Afterlife pack." It almost made me think the developers are trying to sneak the ways to mod it to an 84 pack past corporate, as they're only allowed to make an Afterlife pack? Like "we can't tell you how to mod your pack, but coincidentally, all the parts that make it an Afterlife pack can be removed, wink wink nudge nudge."

Either way, that video made me 10x more hyped for this pack. I'll admit that I ordered 2 with the intent of selling one, but after Tested's video, I'm considering keeping both.
I was reading an interview someone shared on one of the Facebook groups I'm in, the Hasbro guy they were interviewing said that the pack was going to be convertible to the 84 pack. Supposedly everything "Afterlife" will be easily removable according to him. I'll try and find the interview and share it here, I haven't seen where anyone else has shared it.
Dragonfire82877 wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 10:44 am I was reading an interview someone shared on one of the Facebook groups I'm in, the Hasbro guy they were interviewing said that the pack was going to be convertible to the 84 pack. Supposedly everything "Afterlife" will be easily removable according to him. I'll try and find the interview and share it here, I haven't seen where anyone else has shared it.
Here you go.
mrmichaelt wrote: November 1st, 2021, 2:08 am Summarizing Bill Rawley's replies on Sunday's post at the HasLab Proton Pack Modders Facebook page. (using the "m" instead of "www" for the mobile address version let's you see all comments without logging in)
https://m.facebook.com/groups/haslabpro ... 289363867/

1. Class One stretch goal's hose has its own connector that places the battery box in the Plasma Series Spengler's Neutrona Wand. The pack will power the wand.
-Quote "The hose that will included with the Class 1 unlock at 9k backers WILL have its own connector to replace the battery box in the existing Plasma Series Spengler wand. The power from the pack WILL now power your wand! "

2. The team is working on synching the lights and sounds but it is very difficult so far.
-Quote "we are trying to make that happen but it is very difficult. It's on our wish list though"

3. Rawley and his engineer are currently trying to figure out making easy mounting for people who wish to add an Alice frame and it might end up being a clamp system.
-Quote "my engineer and I are literally figuring that out this week. We are trying to avoid any heavy modifications for not-so-handy folks. It may end up being a clamp system"

4. The green goo ectoplasm attachment will be flexible and will have a pin and lock into hole system that allows it to be wrapped wherever on the pack people want. In the preview photo, only the ectoplasm attachment was photoshopped.
-Quote "the models are actually wearing the packs in the photos. The only photoshopping that was done was on the slime pieces. Their model shop printed the pieces out from the team's CAD sculpts in a hard material that does not flex. The real slime will be flexible and has a pin and lock into hole system to wrap around tubes on the pack to let the fans place the slime where they want"

5. For ethical reasons, the Alice frame was not included. Certain manufacturers were not up to Hasbro's standards and the decision was not to work with them. It had nothing to do with cost reductions or a decision that it wasn't needed. In it's place, the pack will have a strap system that can be later removed should an Alice frame be added.
-Quote "the team was not ethically able to provide an Alice frame with our proton pack. Believe me, we tried. It was not a cost reduction or anyone on the team deciding we didn't need it. We were just not able to include one for a number of reasons. The team has this strap system to make the pack wearable Out of box but then it IS removable. You can order an Alice frame or use one you already have to attach it to our final pack"
-Quote "let's just say, some manufacturer's of certain items may not be up to Hasbro standards and so we can not work with those factories"

6. No modding will have to done to make the Plasma Series Spengler's Neutrona Wand work with the Spengler's Proton Pack. It will be plug and play
-Quote "there is no cracking open or modding needed to have the hose work with the wand. Plug and play!"

7. The ribbon cable has been a big discussion point within the development team and they are working on trying to match colors as best as they can.
-Quote "the ribbon cable is a BIG conversation within the dev team. We are working on options to match the actual Afterlife prop as best as we can. There's a lot of color on that cable and color (paint) plus the washes (paint washes) all cost money. I can promise that I will be trying. To match colors as best as I can for our initial models and then following up as they are produced to make sure the production pieces match our initial models. It's basically going to be what I do for a lot of 2022"

8. The holes seen on the back of the pack are not final.
-Quote "those holes are not final. We are still working through the connection and hole placementz"

9. The team has pushed for the Spengler's Proton Pack for over a year and the 2023 ship date was chosen to account for all the current unknowns about shipping.
-Quote "the team has been pushing for this for over a year. The 2023 date is because of all the unknowns about shipping. The production team is scrambling to get everything prepped for production so that the fans do nat have to wait any longer than they have to"

10. The Proton Pack is 1:1 to the Afterlife pack prop. The team scanned the prop.
-Quote "this pack is exactly the size of the Afterlife prop. We scanned it and it is one to one. This is the "correct" size. It's the same size as the one in the trailer (not the pack on the Ecto-1). The models we had wear this pack are different heights and sizes. It's 1:1"

11. The light and sounds between 1984 and 2021 mode will be change but flicking a metal internal switch in the cyclotron. The red light pattern and sound effects will be different in each mode.
-Quote "With a simple flick of a metal internal switch (in the cyclotron) you can change the electronics from 84 to Afterlife. The red light pattern and sound effects are different in each mode"

12. Pieces on the pack will be removable for those that want to mod it to look like the original pack.
-Quote "those golden wire pieces are a separate piece and should be able to be removed"
-Quote "I think this group will be able to easily convert this pack to an 84 pack"

13. The team is looking into using three D batteries to power the pack.
-Quote "sorry, we are looking at 3 D batteries at the moment

14. The crank generator will be a volume control if a person wanted to do lights only and/or save power.
-Quote "I'm giving away more of the "details" I was speaking of, but I made the crank generator on the top into a volume control. So you can turn that all the way down for lights only and to save some juice. There's more though

15. The speaker is on top of the pack near the back of the person's head when they wear it.
-Quote "I put the speaker in the top of the packs so the wearer (you guys) gets the bulk of the sound playing Right behind your heads as you wear it!
Dragonfire82877 liked this
Spidon wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 9:47 am When Adam started talking about modding the pack and noticed the "wires" were on a separate piece that looked like it could be removed, the look on the guys face screamed "we're not supposed to talk about that" and he was quick to say "This is an Afterlife pack." It almost made me think the developers are trying to sneak the ways to mod it to an 84 pack past corporate, as they're only allowed to make an Afterlife pack? Like "we can't tell you how to mod your pack, but coincidentally, all the parts that make it an Afterlife pack can be removed, wink wink nudge nudge."

Which is really so silly - the ENTIRE movie is relying on 1984 as a reference point, yet corporate Hasbro can't call this pack anything but Afterlife? It's not even like it would overshadow the movie in some way, it actually makes the pack MORE marketable to have it be convertible to both! Honestly, what are they thinking with this crap? They give us an 84' sticker sheet, a switch to make it 84' sounds and specific lights, and it states it is "modular" yet nobody in any of the videos has ever mentioned or told HOW this pack can convert to an 84'. It's baffling to me.

I think this whole HasLab would have been better suited had they just called it a Ghostbusters PROTON PACK - then the tier 1 would be Afterlife with all Spengler's mods (weathered ribbon cable, copper wires, yellow fabric wire, worn decals, hose, gray paint wear pen), then the rest of the tiers could easily remain the same as they are. This way, anyone could mod this pack to be whatever they heck they wanted it to be.

I hate that the designers have to be this anal about it - and it's all because of Sony and Hasbro I'm sure, they'd LOVE to tell us that it can be converted.
ProtonPack83 wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 7:34 pm

Which is really so silly - the ENTIRE movie is relying on 1984 as a reference point, yet corporate Hasbro can't call this pack anything but Afterlife? It's not even like it would overshadow the movie in some way, it actually makes the pack MORE marketable to have it be convertible to both! Honestly, what are they thinking with this crap? They give us an 84' sticker sheet, a switch to make it 84' sounds and specific lights, and it states it is "modular" yet nobody in any of the videos has ever mentioned or told HOW this pack can convert to an 84'. It's baffling to me.

I think this whole HasLab would have been better suited had they just called it a Ghostbusters PROTON PACK - then the tier 1 would be Afterlife with all Spengler's mods (weathered ribbon cable, copper wires, yellow fabric wire, worn decals, hose, gray paint wear pen), then the rest of the tiers could easily remain the same as they are. This way, anyone could mod this pack to be whatever they heck they wanted it to be.

I hate that the designers have to be this anal about it - and it's all because of Sony and Hasbro I'm sure, they'd LOVE to tell us that it can be converted.
I'm pretty sure it's because a different company has the licensing to do the '84 packs, and for Sony/Ghost Corps. to allow Hasbro to market this as such would lead to a lawsuit
Kingpin liked this
ProtonPack83 wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 7:34 pm Which is really so silly - the ENTIRE movie is relying on 1984 as a reference point, yet corporate Hasbro can't call this pack anything but Afterlife? It's not even like it would overshadow the movie in some way, it actually makes the pack MORE marketable to have it be convertible to both! Honestly, what are they thinking with this crap? They give us an 84' sticker sheet, a switch to make it 84' sounds and specific lights, and it states it is "modular" yet nobody in any of the videos has ever mentioned or told HOW this pack can convert to an 84'. It's baffling to me.

Its all about how the brand was licensed to Hasbro. Their license may extend to original '84 action figures, but not for prop replicas. Its very expensive to license IP and they will go after what they feel will make them the most money and return on that investment.

Yes its all based on the 84 stuff, but a new major tentpole movie is where all of the marketing and dollars are focused. So all of that means they can offer up prop replicas based on Afterlife keeping the focus there, but also knowing the obvious is that it COULD be converted to a stock 84 pack or prop.

Think about this too: they offered up Plasma Series figures based on the 84 movie, but didn't do an Ecto-1 from 84, only a smaller scale one based on the new film. That isn't them withholding things (because they know it would sell!) that is a perfect example of what may be a limitation of their agreement coupled with they want to promote the new film as much as possible.

Back to the proton pack: this is not Hasbro trying to be coy or lame it could be simply they are not permitted under their licensing agreement to refer to the pack or prop as an 84 prop. If you watch what they say and how they say it, they are very careful with their words and phrasing so they do not legally violate their license agreement.

I highly recommend looking into how these things work if you are interested. It really is a fascinating world and explains so much when it comes to some of the "why" we get some items and not others.

Hope this helps!
Chairman Kaga, bobafett321, Spidon and 1 others liked this
I’m in two minds about the “storage compartment”. For sure it would help people at cons and builders who want to tinker. But I’d rather it have been something internal.

The way it looks now is like Egon designed a portable miniature particle accelerator with extra luggage space. That’s a retcon that I’m unsure about.
One time wrote: November 24th, 2021, 3:34 am I’m in two minds about the “storage compartment”. For sure it would help people at cons and builders who want to tinker. But I’d rather it have been something internal.

The way it looks now is like Egon designed a portable miniature particle accelerator with extra luggage space. That’s a retcon that I’m unsure about.
Look how much stuff we have on our belts now... This actually makes sense!
Also... Twinkies!
hawkbatsquadron wrote: November 24th, 2021, 6:11 am
One time wrote: November 24th, 2021, 3:34 am I’m in two minds about the “storage compartment”. For sure it would help people at cons and builders who want to tinker. But I’d rather it have been something internal.

Look how much stuff we have on our belts now... This actually makes sense!
Also... Twinkies!
For me I don't mind. There'd never be a point I'd ever normally need to open up the power cell. Hell outside of flipping to the '84 pack I'll likely never open the Cyclotron again either. I look at it as they had room right there after doing everything they set out to do with the pack and decided let's just add space there for people to do with whatever they want. You can do as Adam suggested he would and use it for more extensive lighting, use it to store mini pufts, or use it for nothing. The only thing I personally would like is if they could hide the doors hinge better. As of now it just kinda sticks out once you know it's there and while extremely minor and basically a nonissue the further recesses of my mind would be happy if it wasn't very noticeable.
One time, ZLevee liked this

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]