Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
groschopf wrote: October 25th, 2021, 5:44 am The costume is the same, but the backdrop is different. Could be from the same scene.
I'm betting both shots are set in the same "day", but at different points. The newer shot looks like Phoebe's indoors.

As for the intensity, didn't Ben Eadie mention they could alter the intensity of the lights o the props for the various scenes they were appearing in?

That being said of course, it looks like the prop in the new shot is a different Spengler/Phoebe Hero Pack... the scratches and scuffs don't appear to match... And the Clippard label is almost completely obscured.
timeware wrote: October 25th, 2021, 10:41 am Did I hear a little bit of run DMC in that trailer?
I don't believe you did... I think I know the bit you're referring to, but I think it's all the same music featured in the first international trailer, and that Halloween food short.
Someone asked if the new Haslab proton pack somehow takes away from the hard work and time put into making your own proton pack. Back in 2016 my Uncle helped me build my proton pack. I used aluminum parts and needed a lot of tools to get the job done, including a drill press. My Uncle is a retired GE engineer and had a whole workshop, including a drill press. We worked on it almost every weekend from early July through September. It was a great time and bonding experience. I learned a lot, too. Regardless of what the Haslab proton pack looks like/is capable of, the fun I had building my own pack isn't cheapened in any way.

Also, my Uncle called me yesterday to tell me he saw an advertisement for the new Ghostbusters. He goes, "Do you think dickless turned off the switch again?" He sounded just as excited about it as I am.
jonogunn, Sav C, starang11 liked this
To quote Janosz

“It’s happening. It’s really happening”

TV spots.

Wow.

I do wonder if Sony made a mistake of not making this a pre Halloween release.

I can’t even begin to guess what the opening weekend of this will be. If they continue to not show the OGB’s? I’d say a 50 million opening. But with the guys getting some ad time? I think 80 might be a ceiling.

The good thing about this though is that Ghostbusters will be on peoples mind from all the times the song or movies play on TV/Radio.

I just have no idea what we are looking at for box office. The pandemic, previous film and November release date are all massive variables. I can’t wait to read some tracking reports.
Sav C liked this
RichardLess wrote: October 25th, 2021, 11:43 amI can’t even begin to guess what the opening weekend of this will be. If they continue to not show the OGB’s? I’d say a 50 million opening. But with the guys getting some ad time? I think 80 might be a ceiling.
That feels pretty high to me. Dune and Shang-Chi opened in the $70-$75m range, and I really don't get the feeling that Ghostbusters: Afterlife is as exciting to the public as either of those movies, OGBs or no (and I would also be very surprised if the OGBs had any noticeable effect on the box office at all, much less a $20m difference).

I find it harder to judge how the movie is going to open now that it's been delayed a year, because on one hand, it threw the marketing campaign for a loop, and on the other hand, it feels like people are desperate for big movies, especially anything they were waiting for. I still think $50m would be satisfying to Sony, and seems within reason.
deadderek, robbritton liked this
tylergfoster wrote: October 25th, 2021, 5:43 pm
RichardLess wrote: October 25th, 2021, 11:43 amI can’t even begin to guess what the opening weekend of this will be. If they continue to not show the OGB’s? I’d say a 50 million opening. But with the guys getting some ad time? I think 80 might be a ceiling.
That feels pretty high to me. Dune and Shang-Chi opened in the $70-$75m range, and I really don't get the feeling that Ghostbusters: Afterlife is as exciting to the public as either of those movies, OGBs or no (and I would also be very surprised if the OGBs had any noticeable effect on the box office at all, much less a $20m difference).

I find it harder to judge how the movie is going to open now that it's been delayed a year, because on one hand, it threw the marketing campaign for a loop, and on the other hand, it feels like people are desperate for big movies, especially anything they were waiting for. I still think $50m would be satisfying to Sony, and seems within reason.
Yeah we’ve had that debate before re: original cast. Again, nostalgia is the name of the game. The original film is a beloved classic. Even the 2nd film seems to have a decent following(anecdotal but an NBA player named Brook Lopez commissioned a painting for the Bucks championship & based it off the final image of the Vigo painting when the GB’s appear angelic, and the Twitter post on the bucks page was just full of regular people quoting the movie. Deep cut quotes too. Really surprised me).

I’ve said this many times before but if a GB3 had been made before Harold passed away a 100 million plus opening would’ve been guaranteed. I saw it potentially doing similar numbers to Indy 4.

Ghostbusters is one of those properties that a lot of people aren’t fanatic about(present company excluded) but it’s almost universally loved. That sort of brand awareness is just huge. Add in the nostalgia factor which is extremely powerful. If a Ghostbuster sequel is opening at the theatre, it’s a must see for most regular movie goers. & It’s PG-13! Movies routinely open above 100 million now a days(well…not anymore but pre pandemic) so a 100 million opening isn’t as much of a leap as it might first seem.

But yeah, realistically, a 50 million opening is most likely. I agree Sony would be fine with that. It’s just a shame that the pandemic had to happen so that this movie(and franchise) couldnt have an unimpeded box office run that would show the true health of the franchise. But it also gives the film more leeway if it underperforms. Sony could easily point to the pandemic as the reason VS the movie itself. We’ve also been lead to believe the budget is much smaller. So it doesn’t have to make 300-400 million to turn a profit.
Sav C liked this
tylergfoster wrote: October 25th, 2021, 5:43 pm That feels pretty high to me. Dune and Shang-Chi opened in the $70-$75m range, and I really don't get the feeling that Ghostbusters: Afterlife is as exciting to the public as either of those movies, OGBs or no (and I would also be very surprised if the OGBs had any noticeable effect on the box office at all, much less a $20m difference).
I gotta disagree there. There's no way something like Dune has the fun family appeal that Ghostbusters has, and how many casual Marvel fans (let alone general moviegoers and families) knew what Shang-Chi was before the movie came out? It did well because of the Marvel brand but also because enough people were ready for a fun time at the movies, despite renewed fears over the Delta variant cropping up. If anything, I think Venom is a closer comparison - I didn't get the feeling people were that excited for it and yet it blew away expectations with $90 million, a sign that even more people were comfortable hitting the theaters again.

I think timing is a factor and Sony was right to position this as a Thanksgiving/family release, away from a very busy October where it might've gotten buried, not just by competing movies but the Halloween season in general. And looking at the calendar, the next serious competition isn't until Spider-Man in mid-December, which gives Afterlife several weeks of potential business. Although holding back the OGs from the marketing so far was definitely a choice (and you might be right about their overall box office appeal) I think they're effectively showcasing Rudd, the action and just a touch of humor, really I've been pleasantly surprised at how good these TV spots look. Honestly, short of another spike in COVID fear in the next three weeks (fingers crossed, knock on wood) I think this is going to do insanely well.
Sav C liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: October 25th, 2021, 7:21 pm Another diy video (with score and part of Proton Pack testing scene released before).
A minor clarification, as noted by Jason at Ghostbusters News, the version of the theme featured in the trailers isn't part of Rob Simonsen's score for the film. It's likely something that was scored and recorded by one of the trailer music companies.
mrmichaelt, RichRyan1507, RedSpecial and 3 others liked this
Kingpin wrote: October 26th, 2021, 3:03 am
mrmichaelt wrote: October 25th, 2021, 7:21 pm Another diy video (with score and part of Proton Pack testing scene released before).
A minor clarification, as noted by Jason at Ghostbusters News, the version of the theme featured in the trailers isn't part of Rob Simonsen's score for the film. It's likely something that was scored and recorded by one of the trailer music companies.
This actually makes me feel better. I thought the theme song sounded a bit trite as an orchestral piece. Glad it's not actually going to be in the film like that.
Walking around in Walmart just now and “on our own” comes blasting through the loudspeaker as I’m looking at Ghostbusters toys, while wearing my Venkman hoodie. What a fun time lol
groschopf, starang11, Sav C and 1 others liked this
Kingpin wrote: October 26th, 2021, 3:03 am A minor clarification, as noted by Jason at Ghostbusters News, the version of the theme featured in the trailers isn't part of Rob Simonsen's score for the film. It's likely something that was scored and recorded by one of the trailer music companies.
Reminds me of seeing Looper and realizing that the music from the trailer had nothing to do with the film.

I don't want yuck anyone else's yum, but I'm fine with this. The piece is fine on it's own, but I didn't think it meshed with everything else we've heard. Hearing a triumphant return of the theme song now would have lessened the impact of whatever the film will actually use if we heard it this far out from the film release.
groschopf wrote: October 26th, 2021, 7:30 am
Kingpin wrote: October 26th, 2021, 3:03 am A minor clarification, as noted by Jason at Ghostbusters News, the version of the theme featured in the trailers isn't part of Rob Simonsen's score for the film. It's likely something that was scored and recorded by one of the trailer music companies.
Reminds me of seeing Looper and realizing that the music from the trailer had nothing to do with the film.

I don't want yuck anyone else's yum, but I'm fine with this. The piece is fine on it's own, but I didn't think it meshed with everything else we've heard. Hearing a triumphant return of the theme song now would have lessened the impact of whatever the film will actually use if we heard it this far out from the film release.
I'm still soured on covers of the song from extreme Ghostbusters and 2016. I hope the 60s style cover is better.
mrmichaelt liked this
Coca Cola decides to produce a new Ghostbusters flavor that is only available to a select few Zaxby's. I'm trying to wrap my head around the thought process here of going with this new flavor instead of giving us Ecto Cooler without a mass marketing campaign for either drink.

I mean 20 0z bottles with the mini pufts on them? Come on, that's a no brainer. Cans with the mini pufts? Nothing?

If your going to come up with a new drink for a movie don't do it half assed. Baja Blast worked for Taco Bell and Zaxbys isn't a major fast food chain!
deadderek liked this

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]