Talk about stuff that has nothing to do with Ghostbusters!
By Peter Geo
I think I’ve hit a snag and I was hoping sombody could give me some hints.

I verified that the solder is not bridging any adjacent pads and there is continuity at both ends of the wires.

With the wires soldered to the original board, but without the spengler link board connected, both wands function perfectly.

But when I connect the spengler link board, the wands react differently:

Wand 1
-Static Orange LED starts blinking immediately after plugging in the 8 pin connector to the link board.
-None of the toggle switches have any effect.
-If I hold down the wand ear button, the orange LED stops blinking and all the toggle switches all start working correctly. But when I release the wand ear button the orange LED blinks again and the wand stops working.

Wand 2
-Static Orange LED turns solid on immediately after plugging in the 8 pin connector to the link board. None of the toggle switches have any effect.
-If I hold down the wand ear button, the orange LED turns off and I can turn on the first power toggle switch and the wand works fine. I can release the wand ear switch and the wand remains on.
-I can toggle the vent switch and the lights turn on.
-I can toggle the activate switch and the vibrating motor turns on.
-Hitting the Intensify button shuts the wand off (with the sound effects). But if I hold down the wand ear button first and then hit the intensity button, it continues to work like normal. I can release the wand ear button and press it again to toggle between the various modes.

On both wands, the voltage measures 3.6V between pins 1 and 3 on DB1 of the link board. The voltage measures 4.1V between the red and black wires on the original board where I soldered it. The feedback LED on the link board has never turned on after installing both jumpers to the ON positions.

Do you have any suggestions what I should check next?
By Jrwill13lv
Not sure if this will help but....
I had strange things happening to one wand and it ended up being the black stereo connector cord was not seated all the way on the wand side of things. Might try that

R/S
Justin
By CaptainTripps
Well...I'm also having trouble with my Spengler Link. Everything seemed to be going smoothly until the final tests. (I've used the Ghostlabs Spirit Lights, Sound, and Spengler LInk).

I'm talking about the testing that starts on page 48 of the Link's instructions. For a baseline, my wand on its own works 100%. Fully functioning after soldering the original wand board to the modded cables. Here's how my tests go:
Test #1 (Jumper on both Selectors): LED lights up properly; can fire up wand and all proper functions
Test #2: No jumpers no lights as expected
Test #3 (Jumper on SEL 1): Wheels fall off; no LED lights. Troubleshooting in the instructions say Brown (now purple I believe) wire has poor connection on the original board on the wand. Ran through the remaining tests and failed where the conclusion was poor connection with the brown/purple wire. So, I re-soldered and cleaned it up. Then had a repeat of test results where I fail at test 3 again.

So....here we are. I'm stuck and it looks like Doug is on vacay....uh oh! Halloween in jeopardy!! I have zero background in this stuff, so I'm in trouble. Hopefully there're some experts in the community.
By Peter Geo
Yea, me two. I don’t know what to do for Halloween now. My final steps are just electronics and I can’t get it right. I also to have the ghostlab sound and light kit.
By Raymund
CaptainTripps wrote: October 25th, 2021, 6:26 pm Well...I'm also having trouble with my Spengler Link. Everything seemed to be going smoothly until the final tests. (I've used the Ghostlabs Spirit Lights, Sound, and Spengler LInk).

I'm talking about the testing that starts on page 48 of the Link's instructions. For a baseline, my wand on its own works 100%. Fully functioning after soldering the original wand board to the modded cables. Here's how my tests go:
Test #1 (Jumper on both Selectors): LED lights up properly; can fire up wand and all proper functions
Test #3 (Jumper on SEL 1): Wheels fall off; no LED lights. Troubleshooting in the instructions say Brown (now purple I believe) wire has poor connection on the original board on the wand. Ran through the remaining tests and failed where the conclusion was poor connection with the brown/purple wire. So, I re-soldered and cleaned it up. Then had a repeat of test results where I fail at test 3 again.

So....here we are. I'm stuck and it looks like Doug is on vacay....uh oh! Halloween in jeopardy!! I have zero background in this stuff, so I'm in trouble. Hopefully there're some experts in the community.
I experienced the same situation where test 3 won't give an LED response until I discovered that the series of tests should be done on the same "on" session (if that makes sense). Do you power down after each test? The tests all worked for me when I didn't power down.

Insert batteries (or supply power)
Test 1: both jumpers should already be on when power is supplied to the circuit
Test 2: remove both jumpers
Test 3: put back SEL1 jumper
Test 4: remove SEL1 jumper and transfer to SEL2
Test5: etc.
All these sequences should be done right after the other without interrupting power, otherwise, the tests go back to Test 1.

This is just from my own experience with my own connections (Spengler link, board, and Spirit pack lights running on 12V Talentcell batteries).

I'm sorry to the OP if I have no useful input for the OP's issue. I was just reading through random threads and saw CaptainTripps post and felt it appropriate to share my experience with a similar issue.
By CaptainTripps
Raymund wrote: October 25th, 2021, 7:10 pm
CaptainTripps wrote: October 25th, 2021, 6:26 pm Well...I'm also having trouble with my Spengler Link. Everything seemed to be going smoothly until the final tests. (I've used the Ghostlabs Spirit Lights, Sound, and Spengler LInk).

I experienced the same situation where test 3 won't give an LED response until I discovered that the series of tests should be done on the same "on" session (if that makes sense). Do you power down after each test? The tests all worked for me when I didn't power down.

All these sequences should be done right after the other without interrupting power, otherwise, the tests go back to Test 1.

This is just from my own experience with my own connections (Spengler link, board, and Spirit pack lights running on 12V Talentcell batteries).

I'm sorry to the OP if I have no useful input for the OP's issue. I was just reading through random threads and saw CaptainTripps post and felt it appropriate to share my experience with a similar issue.

IT WORKED! You are a life saver. GB community FTW again!! Thank you, Raymund. (Peter, thank you for starting this conversation. I bet there is someone else out there with the same scenario as you with a fix. Fingers crossed!)
Raymund liked this
By Peter Geo
Raymund wrote: October 25th, 2021, 7:10 pm

I get what your saying. But I don’t think i got past test 1. Feedback LED does nothing on startup on two different wands. I even swapped out link boards and tested batteries and 12 V battery connected to sound and light kit. Still nothing.

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]