Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
K_Centric0001 wrote: October 20th, 2021, 8:26 am
MagicPrime wrote: October 20th, 2021, 7:21 am In fairness. Finn Wolfhard is 18, and Mckenna Grace is 15.
In the film they are probably meant to be at least 2 years younger than that. And even if they timed jumped. The most you could say is that they are 18-21. Although time jumping kids into adults in movies is very rare. They usually want to keep them as kids. Which is why they cast teenagers as kids, so they look young the longest, and not adults as teenagers because those looks fade fairly quick.

I have seen The Extreme Ghostbusters cartoon, but even then i don't buy the idea that these kids/teens will be the new working ghostbusters at the firehouse.
18 and 21?

Hmm, almost sounds like the perfect ages for Trevor to start working as a GB full time, and Phoebe's freshman year at Columbia University...
If they are associated with the Ghostbusters I would imagine that Columbia University wouldn't touch them with a ten meter cattle prod. Try thinking more along the lines of a small local college that's in desprate need of publicity, and funding.

If there's a college in summerville that's where I bet they'll end up. I just hope the next Ghostbusters doesn't turn into a Van Wilder or Revenge Of the Nerds.

(Not dogging on those movies, they are my favorite films. I just don't feel that level of raunchy fits the Ghostbusters franchise.)
timeware wrote:If they are associated with the Ghostbusters I would imagine that Columbia University wouldn't touch them with a ten meter cattle prod. Try thinking more along the lines of a small local college that's in desprate need of publicity, and funding.

If there's a college in summerville that's where I bet they'll end up. I just hope the next Ghostbusters doesn't turn into a Van Wilder or Revenge Of the Nerds.

(Not dogging on those movies, they are my favorite films. I just don't feel that level of raunchy fits the Ghostbusters franchise.)
This Post Contains Spoilers
This Post Contains Spoilers

I know I have said this before, but if there is no direct sequel to Afterlife I will be completely satisfied. Like one of the critics that saw the early screening at cinemacon said, "It wraps things up to where you don't need a sequel, but leaves the door open."

I would say that is as ideal an ending as the ending to the original movie. :)

Who knows maybe Afterlife will be just as iconic to the new generation as the Original is to those of us who grew up watching it. LOL! I guess in the end that may have been the point all along. Wouldn't that be something. :):):)
zackangel wrote: October 20th, 2021, 1:57 pm Question,
if egon is on movie you dont think is strange.
It doesn't feel strange to me.

Harold Ramis's death helped to crystalise the idea that had been kicking about in Jason's head. The loss of Harold and Egon can serve as the crucible for a new story in the Ghostbusters world, so it makes sense that he'd appear in it.

It's possible Ray isn't aware of what happened to Egon, assuming there was some sort of falling out between the Ghostbusters. What little we do know is that Callie and Egon are estranged, it seems to be the case that he sacrificed his relationship with her in order to make sure Shandor's leftovers in Summerville didn't finish what was started in New York.

The full details we'll find out in less less than 30 days...
Kingpin wrote: October 20th, 2021, 5:09 pm
zackangel wrote: October 20th, 2021, 1:57 pm Question,
if egon is on movie you dont think is strange.

Harold Ramis's death helped to crystalise the idea that had been kicking about in Jason's head. The loss of Harold and Egon can serve as the crucible for a new story in the Ghostbusters world, so it makes sense that he'd appear in it.

It's possible Ray isn't aware of what happened to Egon, assuming there was some sort of falling out between the Ghostbusters. What little we do know is that Callie and Egon are estranged, it seems to be the case that he sacrificed his relationship with her in order to make sure Shandor's leftovers in Summerville didn't finish what was started in New York.

The reviews and press releases all say Callie never knew Egon. Just like creed it bothers me that Egon would abandon a child of his. But it's necessary for this story to happen so what are you going to do?
Disappointing that there will be no soundtrack, but it’s probably likely there won’t be enough non-score tracks to fill an entire album.

If that is indeed the cover of the score album, I like it! It has some continuity with the previous releases. Color would’ve been preferable, but B&W is definitely bold.
deadderek liked this
So it's just speculation but it seems Los Angeles will be doing something..sadly and frustratingly only for California residents. A bit on a night show is AJ's speculation.

Bison256 wrote: October 20th, 2021, 5:35 pm
Kingpin wrote: October 20th, 2021, 5:09 pm

The reviews and press releases all say Callie never knew Egon. Just like creed it bothers me that Egon would abandon a child of his. But it's necessary for this story to happen so what are you going to do?
Hey, to be fair Egon did say the science chicks were more interested in his epididymis ...
Corey91 liked this
I just viewed the sign-up sheet for promo items at work and signed up for an Afterlife poster. There was also a column for cardboard standee, but it's unknown if there will be one or not yet. Of course I signed up for it, though! I live in a pretty small apartment, but I'll find a way to display the pieces from it.

The Ecto-1 popcorn containers will be available on November 11th, so I will gladly take some pictures of them and any other advertising as they arrive.
mrmichaelt wrote: October 21st, 2021, 5:32 pm Rudd will be on the Graham Norton Show on November 5 to promote Afterlife.
https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a38025493 ... margolyes/
So is he just gonna pull a Mac and Me masked as an exclusive clip? It wouldn't surprise me if he kept the joke alive even if it's not on Conan anymore.
RichardLess wrote: October 19th, 2021, 3:49 amImage
Not a huge deal, since Struzan's style was still his style later in his career, but this is from 2003.
K_Centric0001 wrote: October 19th, 2021, 12:56 pm I could see a sequel to Afterlife being basically like "IT". kids dealing with ghosts in their town with ghostbusting gadgets Egon hid away. They are just kids after all. And unless they have a growth spurt in a few years then they will just be teenagers.

I think the reason why this film is the way it is, is because they want to change up the formula so Ghostbusters doesn't just have to stand for a business venture. Even Reitman himself said he could see multiple types of directions the franchise could go
Yeah, I mean...I have pretty mixed feelings about the business operating as the premise for a movie. It's good for a TV show, which is why "RGB" works, but I think even the filmmakers have sort of struggled with how to turn "successful business" into a single story with a localized conflict, which is why literally every Ghostbusters movie ever made has refused to center itself around that. Probably because if there's a Ghostbusters business in every city in America, it makes the characters we're following seem less special, somehow (even if they wouldn't be to us).
DocLathropBrown wrote: October 19th, 2021, 7:31 pmSure, these folks aren't specific GB nuts like us, but anyone who uses the internet outside of Facebook or Instagram is still too niche of a group to speak for the general audience. Regular folks who walk the street aren't posting in a movies subreddit. The internet isn't an accurate barometer for anything related to the public at large, no matter the group. FB has a wide enough, pedestrian base that I might give it some thought. But beyond that, anywhere else is still a narrow group of people.

Don't overthink it. I don't think GB has enough mainstream attention to guarantee some kind of billion dollar hit, but the property is certainly known, thanks in large part to the theme song continuing to permeate pop culture.

I work at Starbucks and a fair amount of my co-workers (everyday folks in their early to mid 20s) still didn't know GB:A was coming. THAT's more reflective of the general populace. If the movie's good, word of mouth is going to be what makes it money--average people don't know enough about GB to have much of an opinion on it either way. Trust me.
I think you underestimate the value of the internet as a barometer for normal people (I mean, how many people's parents use facebook? I know mine both have one, and my aunt, and plenty of other people I knew from high school who seem completely detached from pop culture), but I still mostly agree with this. The one catch is that average people not having an existing pop culture investment in Ghostbusters to have some sort of pre-existing opinion or to be broadly aware the movie is coming is more of a handicap than an asset. Does good word-of-mouth have to then overcome the possibility that the kids in question haven't seen the first two movies, and this is a sequel?
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: October 19th, 2021, 10:24 pmAlso the Mini Puft idea dates back to the original 80’s comic run, and anyone who uses either Groot or Yoda as a reference are filling their nappies with too many contemporary Disney movies. Clearly, Gremlins-inspired if anything (even Minions given the slapstick).

The other other lazy complaint is Stranger Things Busters which only works if you reduce the original movie down to one facet: irreverent comedy - and ignore the other genres mashed up in there eg. the horror is played straight. And also the cartoon which regularly veered into other moods and sentimentality.
The Baby Yoda thing is funny because the movie wrapped in October 2019, and "The Mandalorian" started airing in November. But I think "Stranger Things" has at least a little merit -- even if Jason wasn't going for it, surely the studio is leaning into that with the marketing, and/or it factored into their decision to greenlight the movie.
tylergfoster wrote: October 21st, 2021, 8:33 pm I think you underestimate the value of the internet as a barometer for normal people (I mean, how many people's parents use facebook? I know mine both have one, and my aunt, and plenty of other people I knew from high school who seem completely detached from pop culture), but I still mostly agree with this.
It’s interesting to think about. Facebook has enough people that it should be able to be representative, but any one account is going to have a fairly siloed news feed, so it ends up being unrepresentative. If you looked at my Facebook news feed, you’d think we were living in a liberal utopia. I’m not friends with a single Trump supporter, and while I have a few people who are sceptical of vaccines, I hid their posts a long time ago. I realize that just because my newsfeed isn’t representative doesn’t mean everyone else is in the same boat, but I have a feeling that it’s too easy to select a certain social niche to fill your Facebook feed that it’s unlikely to reflect society accurately.

I think that Reddit, being much more of a public forum, lends itself well to being representative of the public, except for the fact that there aren’t many people on Reddit. Without that many people on Reddit (compared to Facebook), it becomes pretty one sided. Reddit’s still my favourite social media site, though.

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]