Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
MarnelKelis wrote:Hi!

Just as the title says, im looking to grab a few Ghostbusters trades and Im unsure where to start. Am I best to pick up the collection "Total Containment"? Or is there not really an overall story arc to the various trades?
Fritz put it best in a similar thread, see here:
viewtopic.php?p=4852948#p4852948

Start at either the

a) Optional: Displaced Aggression trade paperback (content comes up a few times in the IDW run)

b) Optional: Haunted Holidays trade paperback (content comes up in the IDW run)
OR
Buy Ghostbusters Omnibus Volume 1 which includes a) and b)

c) Definitely get Ghostbusters Infestation #1 and 2. They set up the Total Containment and on. Just two issues, or it is collected in IDW's Infestation Omnibus or Infestation Volume 2 trade paperback.
Kingpin liked this
I'd definitely recommend starting with Displaced Aggression, whilst the ongoing/monthly series also serves as an excellent starting point, there are a few elements from Displaced Aggression which show up later in the ongoing series. :)

The comics I'd advise you avoid are:

The Other Side
X-Files: Conspiracy: Ghostbusters

The former was a bit phoned in on the art, and a less than thrilling story that jumped the shark by the end. The latter didn't feature Mulder and Scully, instead it featured the Lone Gunmen, and featured plagiarized artwork.
I just started from the first issue. Seems like the best place to start?

Also does anyone have any interviews with the writer/artist on why they decided to change the look of the proton pack to be more accurate with the movie? The first 4 issues had their own interpretation before they unexplainably changed the look. It was a welcome change to be sure but I’m just curious to hear from the creative team.

Also why 2 HGA’s?
jonogunn wrote: July 10th, 2021, 9:55 am I just started from the first issue. Seems like the best place to start?

Also does anyone have any interviews with the writer/artist on why they decided to change the look of the proton pack to be more accurate with the movie? The first 4 issues had their own interpretation before they unexplainably changed the look. It was a welcome change to be sure but I’m just curious to hear from the creative team.

Also why 2 HGA’s?
The double HGAs are likely just artist's preference or could be seen as a gradual upgrade to the proton packs... or just a way to annoy the readers with an eye for detail and want the packs to never change... which is why the packs changed from how they looked in the Halloween special and the first few issues of the comics. If I remember correctly (and I could be wrong), there was quite a lot of poo-pooing the redesign and that got back to the artist, hence the flip back to the more traditional looking proton packs.
jonogunn wrote:Also does anyone have any interviews with the writer/artist on why they decided to change the look of the proton pack to be more accurate with the movie? The first 4 issues had their own interpretation before they unexplainably changed the look. It was a welcome change to be sure but I’m just curious to hear from the creative team.
Yes, zeta remembers correctly. On forums and social media, Dan took some heat for his original design of the packs from What in Samhain Just Happened and the first 4 issues of the ongoing so he changed it up. Then Erik in that issue wrote Egon removed the cooling covers from the Proton Packs because it was something of a cancer risk but according to Peter, it felt like the pack got lighter. I'm not sure if he intended that joke from the start or if he added it in after he found out Dan changed the look of the pack to be more screen accurate.
jonogunn wrote:Also why 2 HGA’s?
Dan commented on it back on June 4, 2012 in the now defunct IDW Forums but thanks to Internet Archive, here's exactly what he posted on the subject, "Glad to hear everyone is diggin the ish! Rookie, I added an extra HGA just to make it look a bit different from the movie packs" (Rookie was the name of a user asking about the HGAs)
https://web.archive.org/web/20130217184 ... 4&start=30
jonogunn liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: July 10th, 2021, 5:45 pm
jonogunn wrote:Also does anyone have any interviews with the writer/artist on why they decided to change the look of the proton pack to be more accurate with the movie? The first 4 issues had their own interpretation before they unexplainably changed the look. It was a welcome change to be sure but I’m just curious to hear from the creative team.
Yes, zeta remembers correctly. On forums and social media, Dan took some heat for his original design of the packs from What in Samhain Just Happened and the first 4 issues of the ongoing so he changed it up. Then Erik in that issue wrote Egon removed the cooling covers from the Proton Packs because it was something of a cancer risk but according to Peter, it felt like the pack got lighter. I'm not sure if he intended that joke from the start or if he added it in after he found out Dan changed the look of the pack to be more screen accurate.
Dan commented on it back on June 4, 2012 in the now defunct IDW Forums but thanks to Internet Archive, here's exactly what he posted on the subject, "Glad to hear everyone is diggin the ish! Rookie, I added an extra HGA just to make it look a bit different from the movie packs" (Rookie was the name of a user asking about the HGAs)
Wow thank you! Exactly what I was looking for and had so much trouble finding
mrmichaelt liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: July 10th, 2021, 5:45 pm
The IDW packs and wands are generally flatter/slimmer than their movie counterparts too - they're actually the ideal candidates for Spirit Pack mods, although I've yet to see one!
mrmichaelt liked this

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]