Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
By tw1478
When I get a chance I'm going to finish a set of the ghost ghostbusters. It takes a lot of coats to make the green look like it glows. Plus I ordered a new top coat I'm gonna try that will make their heads and hands glow in the dark. I'll post them if I ever manage to get them finished.
By CaptCyan
It's always neat to see old figures given new life. :nicejobyoudid: Nice paint job you did. I happen to like the Glossy finish you put on them, makes them look like proper toys.

You say that you've made new molds. Of what in particular? It would be good to know what parts you made, what was used and what kind of paint?
By tw1478
They're actually not that shiny in real life, the finish is an acrylic automotive satin, but all my pictures turned out this way. I think I used too much lighting and too big of a flash on my camera. I might try to retake some more but it took me and my brother a few hours to set up and take the 200 the first time. If you go to photobucket there is a lot more. We shot each figure individually from multiple angles plus group photos and some figure sets not pictured here. But even if they photograph shiny they're super durable. LOL
By tw1478
CaptCyan wrote:It's always neat to see old figures given new life. :nicejobyoudid: Nice paint job you did. I happen to like the Glossy finish you put on them, makes them look like proper toys.

You say that you've made new molds. Of what in particular? It would be good to know what parts you made, what was used and what kind of paint?
All of the packs and wands are custom made, all these figures were in really bad shape, some had to have a new arm and leg here an,d there, some I was able to fix with a little sculpting, all of them had to be painted, I used all acrylic, a couple different brands, all my colors I mixed myself. Even the power pack and slimed heroes are painted. I tried to get the deigns right on them but if you look they're a little off. The first packs pictured are actually original ones that were badly broken, so I tried to rework them. I hated to just throw them out. I also molded some PKE meters, a movie version I'm still working on plus I'm working on some traps and maybe some goggles. The mold I use is alumilite, I get at my local Hobby Lobby. Anything else please feel free to ask.
CaptCyan liked this
By tw1478
Cap asked about some of the molds I made so here are some of my first prototypes for making the new packs. These were all experiments to see what would and wouldn't work. They're not all pretty, but I had to start somewhere. The yellow cords are actually 18 gauge electrical wire. I found they hold shape when posing better than a fabric material. The guns actually just snap onto a small peg mounted on the side. The gun tips are just neon acrylic rods. I found some actual plastic sheetrock screws that work great as new pegs, they actually snap on better than the original toys but they do need to be cut down to the right length, I just place them in the mold before I pour my resin. These were all just ideas I had, hopefully they'll be helpful to some of you. Feel free to suggest any ideas for future improvements. I'm still tinkering with several other projects.

some of the first PKE's I tried

some of the first packs I did

I began working on molding pegs into the packs themselves

work in progress
Glenn Frederick liked this
By redfive1973
Those rock!
By tw1478
CaptCyan wrote:Nice work on the Meters and Throwers. Do you have any progress pictures of how you sculpted them?
No cap, I didn't take any photos while I was making them. I never thought I would be posting any of these online so I didn't think to take photos of the different stages. Basically with the thrower I just kept molding pieces until I had what I wanted. Then I glued the pieces together to make a thrower and then made a mold to reproduce a solid one. The meters are made from a copy I made of the retro-ghostbusters line from a couple years ago. I just modified it to fit the kenner toys. I made the parts on the packs from using some old model car parts and putty that I cut and shaped to look right. I really didn't think anyone would be that interested in my old toys, otherwise I would have documented each project. I'm about to start a custom RGB ecto-1, so I'll try to take more photos of it, as I think I will need to cast some new parts for it.
By CaptCyan
tw1478 wrote: I really didn't think anyone would be that interested in my old toys, otherwise I would have documented each project.
Quite a few of the Fans on this site have collections of these old toys, including myself, and enjoy seeing them given a 2nd chance. Please, document away, there's always something new to be learned.
By tw1478
Here is the Ecto-1 I have been working on. I wanted to build it as close to the RGB cartoon as possible, this is where I started.

had to fix some minor problems

Started with the interior first

Began building new roof pieces

After building the top I started with some paint

I'll post more as I get further along
Heroic35 liked this
By tw1478
CaptCyan wrote:Interesting choice in painting the Glass. Was it too scratched up to begin with or are you staying true to the Cartoon?
The glass was in pretty bad shape. I tried everything to clean it up, but it was no good. I even looked at one of your old threads where you cleaned up a damaged windshield, but it was just to far gone. So I thought since you couldn't see through it anyway I would just try to paint it like the cartoon, at the very least it would cover all the scratches and dents in it. I thought about just making a new custom glass, but figured I'd try this first.
CaptCyan liked this
By tw1478
Heroic35 wrote:That's a mighty fine looking ECTO you're raising there....
Thanks. I really hope it turns out ok. I worked on the door panels today so I think I should have most of it put togeather soon.

By CaptCyan
Good work on the Interior of the Ecto. The Back Seat came out nice and I like the Bits N' Bobs you've attached to the Headliner. Have you been using any Screen Caps as reference or doing this on the fly?
By tw1478
CaptCyan wrote:Good work on the Interior of the Ecto. The Back Seat came out nice and I like the Bits N' Bobs you've attached to the Headliner. Have you been using any Screen Caps as reference or doing this on the fly?
A little bit of both. I went though the first season dvd's to find some reference images, the exterior was pretty helpful but the interior changes a lot in each episode depending on the need for that particular story, i.e. having the ecto-2 in the back or having more than the main guys riding in it. I wanted to try the back seat, but I think if I build another one I'm going to cast the front seat and shave it down to fit so it will look more factory. It's funny, when I was a kid I wanted all my toys to look just like the movie, but now as an adult I want them to look just like the cartoon. Guess I'm never satisfied LOL
By AlTheRelic
tw1478 wrote:
CaptCyan wrote:Good work on the Interior of the Ecto. The Back Seat came out nice and I like the Bits N' Bobs you've attached to the Headliner. Have you been using any Screen Caps as reference or doing this on the fly?
A little bit of both. I went though the first season dvd's to find some reference images, the exterior was pretty helpful but the interior changes a lot in each episode depending on the need for that particular story, i.e. having the ecto-2 in the back or having more than the main guys riding in it. I wanted to try the back seat, but I think if I build another one I'm going to cast the front seat and shave it down to fit so it will look more factory. It's funny, when I was a kid I wanted all my toys to look just like the movie, but now as an adult I want them to look just like the cartoon. Guess I'm never satisfied LOL
I'm gonna probably get lashing out on this reply but as much as I love the Ghostbusters films to me The Real Ghostbusters were more charming, in fact I also adore the Extreme Ghostbusters.
By tw1478
I'm gonna probably get lashing out on this reply but as much as I love the Ghostbusters films to me The Real Ghostbusters were more charming, in fact I also adore the Extreme Ghostbusters.[/quote]

Hey no lashing from me. I love the movies but I also love the original 78 episodes, before all the changes. You're right there was a certain charm to those, well written with humor and adventure with a little horror thrown in. Some people hated the suit color changes, but I loved 'em. To me it just went with the theme of expanding and exploring each character. I love the fact that Winston became a a prominent character like the rest instead of just a supporting one like in the movies. Ernie Hudson was great, and I always thought he deserved more screen time with the rest of them. But I loved all of their cartoon personalities, Peter was apathetic with delusions of grandeur, Winston was hesitant and played the straight man, Ray was childlike and easily excitable, and Egon was logical and deadpan. Man, now I'm gonna have to get the dvd's out and start watching them again. LOL
By AlTheRelic
tw1478 wrote:I'm gonna probably get lashing out on this reply but as much as I love the Ghostbusters films to me The Real Ghostbusters were more charming, in fact I also adore the Extreme Ghostbusters.
Hey no lashing from me. I love the movies but I also love the original 78 episodes, before all the changes. You're right there was a certain charm to those, well written with humor and adventure with a little horror thrown in. Some people hated the suit color changes, but I loved 'em. To me it just went with the theme of expanding and exploring each character. I love the fact that Winston became a a prominent character like the rest instead of just a supporting one like in the movies. Ernie Hudson was great, and I always thought he deserved more screen time with the rest of them. But I loved all of their cartoon personalities, Peter was apathetic with delusions of grandeur, Winston was hesitant and played the straight man, Ray was childlike and easily excitable, and Egon was logical and deadpan. Man, now I'm gonna have to get the dvd's out and start watching them again. LOL[/quote]

tw1478, Winston rocked in the cartoons because he was actually one of the Fab Four, I think the reason Earnie Hudson didn't quite get more movie lines was the fact that he wasn't really a big name in cinema like Rick, Sigourney, Harold, Dan and Bill, I am not the biggest GB2 fan but I did prefer Ernie in the second film as opposed to the first because he felt more like a Fab Four Member instead of a sidekick to the Core Three
By tw1478
AlTheRelic wrote:
tw1478 wrote:Itw1478, Winston rocked in the cartoons because he was actually one of the Fab Four, I think the reason Earnie Hudson didn't quite get more movie lines was the fact that he wasn't really a big name in cinema like Rick, Sigourney, Harold, Dan and Bill, I am not the biggest GB2 fan but I did prefer Ernie in the second film as opposed to the first because he felt more like a Fab Four Member instead of a sidekick to the Core Three
I don't know if you ever played the Ghostbusters game that came out a couple years ago, but they let Ernie do a lot more in it. It wasn't made so much like a game as it was a movie. Actually I think a lot of people consider it to basically be a third movie, it is better than GB2 in story and has an overall feel more like the first movie.
By AlTheRelic
I beat that game and I'm no video game buff, Ghostbusters the video game was a master piece, it was created using the script for what would have been GB3

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]