Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
While I disagree about the current talent staying away, I would love to have a second Ghostbusters comic to read every month.

That being said, if it is going to happen, they should wait for the sequel to come out so that universe is fleshed out a bit more and gives the comic authors a bit more lore to work with and allow them to stay as canon as possible without accidentally contradicting things established in the sequel or telling a similar story.
*NormalGamer* liked this
zeta otaku wrote:While I disagree about the current talent staying away, I would love to have a second Ghostbusters comic to read every month.
Same here. Would be nice to see their own comic series chronicling this team. ^_^
zeta otaku wrote:That being said, if it is going to happen, they should wait for the sequel to come out so that universe is fleshed out a bit more and gives the comic authors a bit more lore to work with and allow them to stay as canon as possible without accidentally contradicting things established in the sequel or telling a similar story.
Agreed. This 'is' an alternate GB universe, after all, set apart from the original GB canon universe or IDW GB canon universe.
Not a terrible idea, but I enjoyed the movie for what it is. I would be cool with keeping the current IDW comic going with the original crew going on more adventures and keep making the original world bigger adding fresh new characters every now and then. I don't think the ATC characters need a comic since they will more than likely be dominating the future films. Still will be a fun ride to come. :):):)
*NormalGamer* liked this
GBPaulRivera wrote:
Ivo Shandor wrote:Please keep the creators of the current IDW monthly far away from it, though. New blood sorely needed.
Do you not like the IDW team anymore or something?

And yes, I too am behind a special or cross over.
My opinions on this are well known, I think the current team guiding the comic books are workmanlike, consistent, and are a steady hand guiding the tiller on the GB comic universe.

On the other hand, I think the plots and ideas have been pretty pedestrian and disappointing. I realize most on this forum don't agree with me, but I just feel like so much more could be done with the GB universe.

I have expressed my views directly to the creators themselves, on Twitter and on this forum. The writer responded with hostility, which is fine - that's his right.
Ivo Shandor wrote:
GBPaulRivera wrote:
Do you not like the IDW team anymore or something?

And yes, I too am behind a special or cross over.
My opinions on this are well known, I think the current team guiding the comic books are workmanlike, consistent, and are a steady hand guiding the tiller on the GB comic universe.

On the other hand, I think the plots and ideas have been pretty pedestrian and disappointing. I realize most on this forum don't agree with me, but I just feel like so much more could be done with the GB universe.

I have expressed my views directly to the creators themselves, on Twitter and on this forum. The writer responded with hostility, which is fine - that's his right.

Oh, well I'm new here, so I didn't know about your thoughts. Well I'd have to disagree to an extent, and I say to an extent because I enjoy what is done by the IDW team on many levels. I will admit that some plot lines aren't so great and some stuff has been left without resolution, but then again I imagine the same can be said for most things Ghostbusters. I enjoyed the first run more than the second run because it was fresh and while some ideas weren't exactly new, they went about them very nicely such as the Ghostsmashers plot taken from the Robobuster episode, but that idea is cool to explore in different ways. The Man In The Mirror, Magical Place on Earth, Haunted America, Who Ya Gonna Call? were fine with me and they do explore a lot of the established cannon in my opinion. Personally The New Ghostbusters wasn't that enjoyable for me, but it still did its part and some bits for Series 2 was good. GB International to me is doing great and I'm just getting a kick of them exploring the world's myths and legends and ghosts, although it has been difficult for me personally to get a hand on the latest issues.

I am curious, what is it you think they haven't explored? I might be forcing you to retread some ideas you've probably shared, but I am a curious person who respects most perspectives on many things.
GBPaulRivera wrote: I am curious, what is it you think they haven't explored? I might be forcing you to retread some ideas you've probably shared, but I am a curious person who respects most perspectives on many things.
Well, as a comic-book fan whose favorite writers are Grant Morrison and Alan Moore...I'm looking for someone who really opens up and explores the GB universe in ways we haven't seen before.

Don't try to imitate the style of Aykroyd & Ramis, come out with your own ideas and your own voice. Expand the horizons of what is shown in the films and the RGB animated series. Maybe some cool stuff on other dimensions, maybe with the advent of ATC some alternate realities. Don't limit yourself to what we have seen before. I think this would really benefit the whole GBU (Ghostbusters universe, if I can use such a term). When I was a kid I used to read Simon Furman's Transformer comics. They didn't just imitate the cartoon or the 1986 Transformers animated movie. They expanded the universe so much and those creators really enriched the whole idea of Transformers. We need that in the Ghostbusters universe, in my opinion.
One constraint will be how much Sony is willing to sign off on. The IDW team might not be able to push the boat out as far as they'd like because the powers that be who control the franchise might not be keen on the more original ideas the team's been pitching.
GBPaulRivera liked this
Ivo Shandor wrote:
GBPaulRivera wrote: I am curious, what is it you think they haven't explored? I might be forcing you to retread some ideas you've probably shared, but I am a curious person who respects most perspectives on many things.
Well, as a comic-book fan whose favorite writers are Grant Morrison and Alan Moore...I'm looking for someone who really opens up and explores the GB universe in ways we haven't seen before.

Don't try to imitate the style of Aykroyd & Ramis, come out with your own ideas and your own voice. Expand the horizons of what is shown in the films and the RGB animated series. Maybe some cool stuff on other dimensions, maybe with the advent of ATC some alternate realities. Don't limit yourself to what we have seen before. I think this would really benefit the whole GBU (Ghostbusters universe, if I can use such a term). When I was a kid I used to read Simon Furman's Transformer comics. They didn't just imitate the cartoon or the 1986 Transformers animated movie. They expanded the universe so much and those creators really enriched the whole idea of Transformers. We need that in the Ghostbusters universe, in my opinion.
Well you have a good point about exploring the universe, but I think the issue is

1. They're focusing on the Ghostbusters that were written by Dan and Harold, and they have to go the path of The Real Ghostbusters where we have these characters and we explore their universe and its lore through their eyes and not very much from others because its about Peter, Ray, Egon, Winston, Janine, some of the new people, and Walter Peck ... so to go away from that is possible, but you can't go so far, especially with a franchise that is owned by a company like Sony/Columbia that will have somebody with IDW who'll look over their ideas and plans and say, no we can't let this or this or this happened, but you can do this.

2. Transformers isn't as limited as Ghostbusters. I mean as much as the new film has opened up to more realities and visiting other dimensions is a cool aspect allowed in the lore of Ghostbusters ... its still a story that is grounded to a reality very similar to ours. I mean in the videogame, the best media to do what you suggest ... story wise the dimensional hopping happened 3 times and the rest of the time it was either New York City setting invaded by ghosts, ghouls, and other creatures in their rogues gallery, or the two universes merging to a degree. Also, Transformers is heavily science fiction, and as much as I'd like to say Ghostbusters is science-fiction, its far more into science-fantasy with terms and ideas that may be science to them, but they bend it to fit their reality's fantasy edge like Doctor Who, but unlike Doctor Who where it can go anywhere (and anytime) as it chooses, Ghostbusters can't because we're dealing with human beings as normal as anybody with their own eccentricities who by accident or chance or fate or whatever, have jobs like Orkinmen when it comes to the paranormal.

3. I respect your views and maybe that's why I loved the new film because an alternate Ghostbusters reality was placed on the biggest media out there, film, but did it really go and do more than the original films and cartoons? No, not on a grander scale. They followed the plot of the original with their own spin on it, but to a degree any further growth will be like how we see with original as done in RGB, IDW, and the videogame, follow what is done, and stem a bit.

4. I personally believe the IDW team has done with Gozer's new minion, his sister Tiamet who practically brought them to an end, traveling the nation/world to bust ghosts, sent to another dimension (brief, but nice), a new GB team, revamping RGB ideas that were cool, exploring old and new relationships, creating new characters, new gadgets, cross overs (TMNT and RGB!), offering different ghost types instead of fully relying on classic RGB monsters, case files on ghosts, and so on.

Well those are my counter points, and believe me, I understand your view and respect it and agree to it to a degree and I'm not saying we shouldn't explore the lore, and we have explored many possibilities through many mediums, but unless you can share your IDEAS that stem farther than what is done now, I don't think we can explore that much with a premise of people catching ghosts. Sure a special cross over with the ATC GB's is nice or a 4-5 issue mini-series would be cool, but again we're gonna reach a point where we'll say well that's as far as it goes.
Kingpin liked this
You can do both :D

But, it's good you're watching The REAL Ghostbusters since... well... reasons. You're in luck that a majority of the new IDW comic run are in collections/trades now. Obviously start with Total Containment then Mass Hysteria following by Ghostbusters/TMNT and finally Ghostbusters Get Real. The current on-going is Ghostbusters international which is on issue 8. Depending on your local comic shop, they might still have the back issues or you could just wait until that's put into it's own collection. There are a few comics that take place before Total Containment, but aside from one or two one shots, they were... meh (The Other Side was a 4 issue mini-series and was just awful). They don't really affect the comics listed above one way or the other, so they're an easy pass.

In mine and many other's opinion, the current IDW books are a fantastic continuation of the original continuity (Ghostbusters 1/2 and the events of the 2009 video game, though not 100% exact how they transpired in the game) and a lot of fun. I also recommend picking up Tobin's Spirit Guide. It's a neat little read.
zeta otaku wrote:There are a few comics that take place before Total Containment, but aside from one or two one shots, they were... meh (The Other Side was a 4 issue mini-series and was just awful). They don't really affect the comics listed above one way or the other, so they're an easy pass.
In fuller disclosure on that:

"Haunted Holidays" contains the first stories illustrated by Dan Schoening, as well as the debut of a character who appears throughout Vol.1 and 2 (The "What The Sam Hain Just Happened?" and "Tainted Love" one shots, respectively)

"Ghostbusters: Infestation" is the first GB story by Erik Burnham, who writes the ongoing series.

A character from "Displaced Aggression" is mentioned in one of the PCOC back-ups in Vol.1, but doesn't actually appear in the story.

But if you just stick with the stuff Zeta Otaku mentions, you'll be fine, too.
OH MAN! I forgot "that character" was introduced in Tainted Love >_< Yeah, that one is kinda important.

Oh, last thing about the comics: once Dan starts illustrating, he had a specific look to the equipment... don't get hung up on that as it's explained in-universe... and also goes back to the movie style... also explained in-universe... actually, in the same bit of dialogue for both >_>
MonaLS, GBPaulRivera liked this
zeta otaku wrote:OH MAN! I forgot "that character" was introduced in Tainted Love >_< Yeah, that one is kinda important.

Oh, last thing about the comics: once Dan starts illustrating, he had a specific look to the equipment... don't get hung up on that as it's explained in-universe... and also goes back to the movie style... also explained in-universe... actually, in the same bit of dialogue for both >_>
You know, it's cool that Dan took it up a notch to go for the movie universe style because if you notice as he's gone along, the characters did look less cartoon-y, especially Peter and Ray. To be honest, I did like that style more with the first few issues because I loved how he designed it like his earlier GB work on deviantART.
zeta otaku liked this

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]