This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
By Photon Guy
Does anybody know what the device Peter Venkman was using when he was investigating Dana Barret's apartment is called and exactly what its purpose is? The device that consisted of a stick connected to a box, Venkman would use the stick to point at stuff while continuously squeezing some sort of rubber bulb, also connected to the box.

Venkman said that its technical and one of their little toys but Im wondering if the device was ever given an official name and what its exact purpose is.
In real life, the Sniffer is used to detect gas emissions. In the universe of Ghostbusters, it might be a device used to detect the presence of ectoplasmic residue... Like a very basic version of the P.K.E.
By Alex Newborn
Holydohnut wrote: November 27th, 2021, 2:31 am In the novelization it was referred to as an "Ecto Wand"
Just to clarify, that's from the UK novelisation by Larry Milne.

The US novelization by Richard Mueller usually simply calls it an 'analyzer', and in the first description says it's "a device that looked like an electronic watering can with a squeeze-bulb arrangement."

Alex
Last edited by Alex Newborn on November 27th, 2021, 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Alex Newborn
Kingpin wrote: May 24th, 2021, 3:45 am In real life, the Sniffer is used to detect gas emissions. In the universe of Ghostbusters, it might be a device used to detect the presence of ectoplasmic residue... Like a very basic version of the P.K.E.
From the 1999 DVD commentary track, here's a quick explanation for why the device is included among ghost-detecting equipment:

IVAN REITMAN: I asked the prop department to come up with various real objects that are used to detect various gas leaks and things like that. And Bill went up to this sort of prop table and chose his sort of favorite, most comedy inducing prop.

HAROLD RAMIS: It's a sniffer.

IVAN: It's a sniffer. It's what it's really called.

HAROLD: We had actually had a consultant come up from, I think, Caltech or someplace. And we posed the question to him, "if ghosts really existed, what scientific methods would there be for detecting their presence?" And he talked about changes in electromagnetic fields, possible odors, kinetic disturbances of all kinds. So, there's some logic behind what we're doing here. Not that Bill understood or cared. [laughs]

IVAN: But that was the character he was playing.

HAROLD: That's right. I love when she says, "Are you sure you're using that thing right?" He says, "Well, I don't know. I think so." [all laugh]

Alex
By Holydohnut
Alex Newborn wrote: November 27th, 2021, 5:13 am
Just to clarify, that's from the UK novelisation by Larry Milne.
I didn't know there was an alternate novelization! Excuse me while I scour ebay!

I really like the idea "in my head" that he's literally just checking for a gas leak. In case Dana really did just imagine it! They gave her a lie detector test after all!
By Alex Newborn
Many things that I initially assumed Mueller 'changed' for the book actually turned out to be from earlier script drafts.

I haven't ever read any reviews of it, as I've owned it since it came out, but I don't know what they're talking about with 'less' of certain characters. He didn't delete any of the film scenes and in several cases he included original script stuff that wasn't in the final film. Plus I really like the back stories he added for most of the main characters.

There's a PDF version available on Spook Central, read a few chapters for yourself and see if you like it.

I can't link directly to it, but it's the fourth file on this page:
https://www.theraffon.net/spookcentral/gb1_book.htm

Alex
By Alex Newborn
By the way, compare this 1999 commentary track quote by Harold Ramis...

HAROLD: We had actually had a consultant come up from, I think, Caltech or someplace. And we posed the question to him, "if ghosts really existed, what scientific methods would there be for detecting their presence?" And he talked about changes in electromagnetic fields, possible odors, kinetic disturbances of all kinds. So, there's some logic behind what we're doing here.

... with the 'abstract' pages that are visible with Harold's flightsuit and other memorabilia at the National Comedy Museum.

I attempted to transcribe the text some years ago. Much of the names/numbers of equipment is guesswork.

Alex

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]