By ganthorion
Well it looks like we are settled on the colour, so the question is shall we all pitch in for a new uniform for the new badge? Both me and Sorak need Khaki, and it would be neat if all the uniforms matched in colour, tone and style :D
By Charlie Richter
Right now I'm not looking to buy another suit. But If the patch is ready for Nova, and if everyone wants to wear it, I will just rip the no ghost on my truspec, or just sew the WA one over the top, then can just pick it off again and not have to re sew the no ghost.
By ganthorion
Well hopefully I'll get a quote tomorrow from an embroidery shop that is local to me, the main downside is that I believe there is a minimum order of 10 and it's hard to say exactly what their quality would be like without getting one done.
By sorak
Cool, let us know what the pricing will cost. I need to start saving for a lot of things now it seems. :)
Also another quick question: leg hoses? Should we get them, or just not bother? And by we, I mean me. :P
By ganthorion
I decided to rejig the logo design (not by much, just working on cleaning up the lines, pluggin some holes, and fixing some of the compression glitches on the No-Ghost) ready for shopping for embroidery places (just found out there are three in the same area, joy!) and I decided to do a size comparison chart. I based my sizes off the badge I got off of Katarra, in which the diameter of the circle is 8.5 cm. Taking that size into account I made one to roughly the same no-ghost size, one with max width of 8.5cm, and one with max height of 8.5 cm (so roughly the same sizes at the regular badge).

So just grab a badge or your sleeve and see what you think .. I'm personally in favour of the bigger badge, but input is always great. Keep in mind this is really just a size demonstration with options if we need to tweak the size.

(NOTE: due to computer screens, resolutions, blah blah blah, sizes on screen will not be accurate, so do use it in reference to a irl badge to see the difference and don't badger me about size accuracy ;) )

(NOTE AGAIN!: I've put the badge on a 50% grey to make it easier to see the black and white outlines on the badge properly)
By sorak
What about if we made it the same height as the gb2 logo? As in, foot to finger height? Considering the WA coast is a pretty long...?
Also can you do a side by side compare to the original style gb1 & gb2 patch?
By ganthorion
sorak wrote:What about if we made it the same height as the gb2 logo? As in, foot to finger height? Considering the WA coast is a pretty long...?
This is the only clean GB1 logo I've got, which I don't think looks quite right, but it'll do for a size comparison.

sorak wrote:Also can you do a side by side compare to the original style gb1 & gb2 patch?
Don't have a GB2 logo on the computer atm, so maybe in the future when I can be bothered :P
By ganthorion
Oh, btw I did go to about four embroidery shops today, still waiting on a response from one of shops :D

More details tomorrow.. or Saturday when I have 5 minutes to spare!
By ganthorion
It's 1am, so it's technically tomorrow...

Here is the run down from the shops in my area...

First shop - The Thread Shed
It'll cost $65 to digitize the logo ready to embroider, but after that it'll be approx $10 per badge, and they do loads of other items as. Interesting note, they are selling off orange fluro jackets that remind me very much of the same one that Venkman wears in the fountain scene with Dana (took me years to realise that he was wearing it over his overalls). I know they have L, XL and 2XL but I only had a quick look and didn't note the price, but they are clearence items.

Second shop - Excalibur Printing.
Wouldn't give a price, says they need a 30 min run.

Third shop - EmbroidMe
Wouldn't give a price, but is emailing me tomorrow, Suggested that a small run would cost a lot more then a big run, but no specifics.

Last shop - Totally WorkWear.
I think the lady quoted $76 for digitization, roughly $10 per badge, min order 10.

Just as a note, and I'm tired so please bare with, with the digitize costs it's a once only thing. Once it's done then we can make as many as we want, and on other items. Talking to the lady at The Thread Shop, she said it's possible to get most (if not all) of the detail in the outline of WA onto the badge, so that sounds good too.

Interestingly enough all of them couldn't fathom why I wanted it as a badge, and some still couldn't even after I explained it was supposed to go on the arm of a flightsuit.

Let me know what you think :D
By ganthorion
Charlie Richter wrote:Some people have no imagination.
You've got that right, although I'm kinda used to people looking at me like I've suddenly grown two heads.

I'd personally go with the Thread Shop, the lady there was really cool and once I explained it she seemed to understand what I was on about, plus she likes Ghostbusters :D I also think having it digitized is a good idea just in case we need to make more patches in the future.

Still not heard back from EmbroidMe, so their loss.

I think what we need to do is make a big, high quality, version of the logo in vector which we can shrink down to the right size for the badge. Why a big one? .. T-Shirts :D
By sorak
ganthorion wrote: I'd personally go with the Thread Shop, the lady there was really cool and once I explained it she seemed to understand what I was on about, plus she likes Ghostbusters :D I also think having it digitized is a good idea just in case we need to make more patches in the future.

I think what we need to do is make a big, high quality, version of the logo in vector which we can shrink down to the right size for the badge. Why a big one? .. T-Shirts :D
Small steps Ganthorion. We dont need t-shirts just yet. ;)

I reckon Thread Shed is the better of the options, however I am not too certain about the digitizing. I mean yes they need to convert it for printing. But once they have it on record, are other people going to be able to go to them and ask for their own on impulse?

As for the flight suit orders and colours, I reckon Khaki is the good way to go for now. Personally I would love to have a standard coloured gb style flight suit, in my costume set. I have been rocking the green for about 8 years now, and I think its about time I got the standardized khaki.

Also I remember someone commenting that the green is too close to looking like the Australian military standard, and having the same colour as them might blur the line of soldier/scientist.
So even though I love the green, I have to agree with davros and richter on this and say khaki is the way for now.
By ganthorion
sorak wrote:Small steps Ganthorion. We dont need t-shirts just yet. ;)
NO! WE NEED TO THINK BIGGER!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
sorak wrote:I reckon Thread Shed is the better of the options, however I am not too certain about the digitizing. I mean yes they need to convert it for printing. But once they have it on record, are other people going to be able to go to them and ask for their own on impulse?
It never occurred to me to ask about this, as I assumed I'd be getting the file off of them anyway. Seeing as how the copyright on this is dodgy to say the least, I normally wouldn't be as bothered in trying to protect it, but that being said I wouldn't want anyone nicking all the work we've done either.
sorak wrote:As for the flight suit orders and colours, I reckon Khaki is the good way to go for now. Personally I would love to have a standard coloured gb style flight suit, in my costume set. I have been rocking the green for about 8 years now, and I think its about time I got the standardized khaki.
Yeah, I still want a GBII charcoal, but Khaki is still a must.
sorak wrote:Also I remember someone commenting that the green is too close to looking like the Australian military standard, and having the same colour as them might blur the line of soldier/scientist.
So even though I love the green, I have to agree with davros and richter on this and say khaki is the way for now.
Well I did discuss that with you the other week about my concern with it being associated with army, but I'm pretty much of the mind now that I don't particularly care what other people might think because I think it looks great :P

Anyway, still got 3 months before we can start panicking ;)
By Davros
hey guys, just check'n in.

good for the khaki, as I think it is the colour most people would associate with GB, although I reckon Sorak's green one looks cool.

I dont really mind if we match or not, perhaps different shades of suits for different grades of GB (like a black belt in karate!)
who knows

Going to the US in May, gonna go to planet hollywoods etc (New York, Washington) and see the actual stuff from the reference section! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

BTW Sorak, I dont have a leg hose (Pee tube), and am not fussed to put one on....although now that I think a bout it I might??...are you?
By sorak
ganthorion wrote:Well I did discuss that with you the other week about my concern with it being associated with army, but I'm pretty much of the mind now that I don't particularly care what other people might think because I think it looks great :P
hehe, true man. :)
Davros wrote:BTW Sorak, I dont have a leg hose (Pee tube), and am not fussed to put one on....although now that I think a bout it I might??...are you?
I decided ages ago (years in fact) that I would get all the small details of the costume sorted before I went nuts building a new proton pack - 'one of each, then rebuild.' And after meeting and talking with Ganthorion and Ritcher I realized I had better hurry up. Thankfully the leg hose and ecto goggles are the only things I don't have now (thank you mattey collector pke), and since I am not interested in the goggles, its all down the hose.
I have bought myself a leg hose for my costume, but after getting it and seeing the flaws in its design I am out trying to buy a new one already.... man it was horrid. :sigh:
By ganthorion
Davros wrote:I dont really mind if we match or not, perhaps different shades of suits for different grades of GB (like a black belt in karate!) who knows
My only concern is that when you see a group of busters (especially if they are supposed to be a team) and the colour and shades are all over the shop it just looks a bit, I suppose, unprofessional. I know we are only doing this for fun and all, but I think that's my main concern is just looking a little naff when together... and yes this is coming from the guy in the completely inaccurate suit last year (that might be why I'm paraniod) :P
Davros wrote:Going to the US in May, gonna go to planet hollywoods etc (New York, Washington) and see the actual stuff from the reference section! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Remember to take as many shoots as humanly possible of all the locations in NYC... or as many that won't get you killed by your lovely wife ;)
By RickH
Davros wrote: Going to the US in May, gonna go to planet hollywoods etc (New York, Washington) and see the actual stuff from the reference section! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
You might need to check before you go because I don't think those restaurants are there any more. Most of the Planet Hollywoods closed down a few years ago. But I think there may a proton pack on display at Sony HQ in New York.
By Davros
Hmm, looks like Washington one may have closed down :(

but I think NY is still going, cnr of broadway & 45th (cant believe I missed it last year!! didnt even cross my mind when we were there!)
there is also one in Ontario Canada, Niagra Falls, 450m from our hotel!!! not sure what is there though? (will investigate first, have emailed them)

Thanks for the tipoff though Rick! at the very least I will get a decent burger!
By sorak
hehe
nice touch with the logo.
But we have to agree that Dr.Miller's ride is the go. :)

In other news, I am going to be doing an order for some tru spec flight suits this weekend (khaki), if you would like to chip in and get one at the same time and save on shipping, please get hold of me before Saturday.
By sorak
Ok, I know we are all getting ready (down in WA) for Supa Nova. Rebuilding and streamlining and such. But I cant help but stop and keep looking at what Richter is doing and thinking that I am just crawling. Seriously, his ass must be a surplus store for the amount of crap he keeps pulling out. He's still got months to go before the con, and he is almost completely finished on his build.
grumble, he's making it look too easy... he keeps finding exactly what he needs.:-P

I mean, check out the latest pics of his new slime blower he's building. Epic!!

Richter, I salute you. :crunch:

Now its time I got some of my crap together....
By Davros
Hehe...the slight grin on Richter's face makes him look a little unhinged!!!

Mind you I would be smiling if that thing was mine!!

Great build mate
By Nassik
This thread went a bit quiet. Did anything ever come of the WA patch idea?

Supanova is coming in a little over a week and I hope that everyone who's going is ready.
By sorak
Things are going good in planning. Something has come about in development, it's just more in person discussions and hands on.
My new uniform is in near completion, final pics will be posted after then convention to prevent spoilers. ;)
By sorak
Haha. No spoilers here mate. ;)
One thing I can say is that we are all aiming on having a uniformed style. Me and ganthorion have both sourced ourselves some new flight suits - khaki - which we are currently in the process of putting everything together.
You can see my progress from the pics on my profile.
By Nassik
Yes, I read about the WA folks opting for khaki flight suits. Fortunately, that was the color I intend to use. I like the olive drab look but khaki does capture the GB1 look.

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]