One time wrote: November 21st, 2021, 2:23 pm Actually the Afterline wand start up sequence could be explained.

So all lights on the wand are off although both the lower and upper toggles are activated (in up position). Then Phoebe flips up the activate switch and the lights come on.

Eventhough people admit this is contrary to the operation of the Hasbro and Matty wands, it could be like this:

-The pack had been on with both pack switch and the three wand switches on
-The pack switch was turned off, disabling all power to the wand, no matter its switches
-The wand -Activate- switch was turned off. (flipped to rear)

Now the pack switch was flipped to on

The wand now has power although the -activate- switch is in off position.

As soon as the -activate- switch on the wand is flipped and the cyclotron is started. it now displays the fact that the upper and lower switches were both in -on- position. I.e. bargraph and vent lights come on. Like in the Afterlife scene.
Except the upper and lower switches were not already in the on position. Phoebe flips them on after the “Activate” switch. A couple of less prominent lights blink to indicate power, but the bar graph and vent lights don’t come on till after that so there’s nothing to figure out here, other than if “activate” is like a gun safety, why doesn’t the sequence matter when other sources indicate sequence does matter?
One time wrote: November 21st, 2021, 2:23 pm It's the interaction of the staggering of the pack afterlife switch and the wand switches that needs to be worked out.

It looks like the pack switch is a master switch of some sort. The wand switches just pick up where they left off, as soon as they get power from the pack.

It makes sense. Equipment like that would not store the main power unit in something small like the wand. It would be in the pack.
I agree the pack switch which would be the master switch, putting the wand in an initialized state. I’m also not surprised that there were one or two lights blinking on the wand once the pack was turned on, because you would expect that there would be some sort of initial powered state (I actually proposed that the Hasbro pack should do something like this in one of my earlier comments). Such a ready state couldn’t be reflected on a standalone wand since there was no pack to power it up first (Unless Hasbro or Mattel had provided a hidden switch to simulate pack power, which maybe they should have).

As for just picking up where the switches were left once pack power is flipped on, that again would depend on whether you want the sequence to serve as a safety function. It kind of makes sense that the sequence would matter as a safely function to guys like Egon and Ray. They likely would have built that safety logic in so that if the pack were powered up and the switches were in disarray, you’d have to flip them all to off and the pack would have to recognize them going on in the right sequence again in order to enable the wand.
One time wrote: November 21st, 2021, 2:23 pm I'm almost thinking Jason changed the scene last minute from the Hasbro wand start up sequence to the theatrical release to pre-empt something Hasbro would do with this pack. Maybe that's why he filmed both sequences.
I can see that for the wand ready state, but it doesn’t explain the sudden disregard for wand switch sequencing, unless the wand switch sequence never mattered and Hasbro and Mattel (and others who have written on this and made videos) are wrong, which of course could be the case - though it actually makes more sense that the sequence should matter for safety.
Last edited by ZLevee on November 21st, 2021, 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bobafett321 wrote: November 21st, 2021, 5:56 pm To be honest, I think the only switch that needs to work in sequence would be the saftey switch. The other two just ensure that the wand is capable of throwing the stream.
The Afterlife movie implies that the safety “switch” is actually the barrel being extended. When Phoebe extends it and says: “Safety is off”.
One time wrote: November 21st, 2021, 6:12 pm
bobafett321 wrote: November 21st, 2021, 5:56 pm To be honest, I think the only switch that needs to work in sequence would be the saftey switch. The other two just ensure that the wand is capable of throwing the stream.
The Afterlife movie implies that the safety “switch” is actually the barrel being extended. When Phoebe extends it and says: “Safety is off”.
Not really, she's just saying the Safety is off and she's prepared to fire the stream. The safety always has been the activate switch. This is also proven in the movie as well as
This Post Contains Spoilers
ZLevee liked this
I think we'll break 15k. The last 48 hours tend to mirror the first 48.

As for other Plasma Series items, I'd like a trap, Ecto-Goggles, and a PKE Meter.

Afterlife features a traditional trap that could retail under $150 in addition to the new trap. You could make the pedal and cable detachable to represent the mobile trap.
Ecto_1X wrote: November 21st, 2021, 6:17 pm
One time wrote: November 21st, 2021, 6:12 pm

Not really, she's just saying the Safety is off and she's prepared to fire the stream. The safety always has been the activate switch. This is also proven in the movie as well as
This Post Contains Spoilers
On the Hasbro and Matty wands the -activate- switch activates the cyclotron. The safety on the Matty is the extending barrel. The Hasbro doesn’t have a safety.
I also don't think we should be using the toy props functionality as "canon."

Again, just being honest, between the differences in what we see on tested and in the film, and supposedly another scene, I still maintain that the lights are activated by a remote off screen and that the switches can be pushed in any order.
ZLevee, Ecto_1X liked this
bobafett321 wrote: November 21st, 2021, 6:55 pm I also don't think we should be using the toy props functionality as "canon."

Again, just being honest, between the differences in what we see on tested and in the film, and supposedly another scene, I still maintain that the lights are activated by a remote off screen and that the switches can be pushed in any order.
I have no idea what the basis for these videos are but they seem to have done some research, and both call out a wand switch sequence necessary for functionality (incidentally, they agree on the necessary order of the functions, but not which function is assigned to which switch):

Ghostbuster Network (see 2:57):

1st = top switch - oscillator
2nd = bottom switch - electromagnets
3rd = activate - safety

Channeling Spirits (see 15:25)

1st = bottom switch - oscillator
2nd = top switch - electromagnets
3rd = activate - safety
Last edited by ZLevee on November 27th, 2021, 10:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ecto_1X liked this
All I actually care about though (all this wand obsessing was never the point for me) is that Hasbro should have the pack and wand coordinate behaviors, as the two halves of a real device likely would. There are some major known/implied behaviors (i.e. pack on = wand on), and as a bonus they could throw in some logical ones that have never been seen as long as these don't violate canon. The pack simply eliminating the need for batteries in the wand is not much to celebrate in itself, if they behave like they’re not connected.

Some of this can be done even if we don't fully understand/agree on what all the switches and lights mean. A start would be that flipping on pack power gets the wand to "powered" (but not primed for firing).

Again, my totally non-canon (but not against canon) ideas were:
(1) having the pack motor generate more of a rumble at times when the thrower is being used,
(2) having the pack’s lights go from the usual pattern to something else indicating use, like faster cyclotron LED activity, and/or perhaps a drop in the power cell LED level to indicate a momentary power drain.
(3) perhaps adjusting the intensity dial on the thrower could alter the pitch or intensity of pack sounds, and/or alter the degree of dip the pack power cell LEDs make when in use, and/or affect the cyclotron LED speed.
(4) power flipped on the pack could activate a powered but safe state on the thrower (in addition to the multiple states the thrower already has - oscillator on, electromagnets on, safety off, “intensify” trigger button).
(5) the thrower’s “overheating” behavior, already incorporated from the video game, could have some form of corresponding pack behavior.
Last edited by ZLevee on November 21st, 2021, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ProtonPack83 liked this
I agree - I just want to see the wand's ability to talk to the pack and control certain functions or lights. They should be a synergy between the two, not just "the pack powers the wand". While that's great and all, it's not very exciting. This is why it's so important that Hasbro has forward compatibility and engineering in mind for the hose since it could be used on a future wand (hopefully at 84' version). We already got the Spengler one - that's gone and done with. But now that Hasbro KNOWS how the hose will be put into a wand, they should be able to design the next one with a lot more ability towards any pack backers.

It would be crazy of them not to - they already have people who bought the Spengler wand and will feel pretty cool that the wand is powered by the pack. But then they release a new 84' wand that can actually control functions on the pack - I would venture that any pack owner will buy it in addition to a Spengler. Anyone who doesn't have a pack gets a solid 84 style wand for way less than the Matty aftermarket. Hasbro wins!
ZLevee liked this
ProtonPack83 wrote: November 21st, 2021, 7:53 pm I agree - I just want to see the wand's ability to talk to the pack and control certain functions or lights. They should be a synergy between the two, not just "the pack powers the wand".
I appreciate the desire for greater functionality, but in looking at all three films now, the thrower being in use appears to have little effect on how the lights look on the Pack itself.

I know it's a different case with the game and the venting action, and yes, it's neat the different modes were included with the Hasbro thrower, but I feel it was just intended as a neat little Easter egg, and won't be something they'll be falling over themselves to include in the final Pack.

What I'm building up to is, for years our own light kits for the Cyclotron/Power Cell and the thrower were run independently from each other, try not to get your hopes up too high in case Hasbro aren't able to get a successful link between the Pack and Thrower.
Kingpin wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 3:49 am
ProtonPack83 wrote: November 21st, 2021, 7:53 pm I agree - I just want to see the wand's ability to talk to the pack and control certain functions or lights. They should be a synergy between the two, not just "the pack powers the wand".
I appreciate the desire for greater functionality, but in looking at all three films now, the thrower being in use appears to have little effect on how the lights look on the Pack itself.

I know it's a different case with the game and the venting action, and yes, it's neat the different modes were included with the Hasbro thrower, but I feel it was just intended as a neat little Easter egg, and won't be something they'll be falling over themselves to include in the final Pack.

What I'm building up to is, for years our own light kits for the Cyclotron/Power Cell and the thrower were run independently from each other, try not to get your hopes up too high in case Hasbro aren't able to get a successful link between the Pack and Thrower.
I agree, it is already a small miracle they intend to do this backwards compatibility, let alone show that the pack might be able to power the wand itself. That's a big quality of life improvement on it's own. We can all dream of course, but hype is a force to be reckoned with, especially with nostalgia-fueled stuff like this. I for one, am happy I haven't modded my Spirit wand to match the Spirit Pack though!
It kiiinda is? But smaller. Check out picture 70 here:

https://www.tested.com/culture/ghostbus ... toId=24623

Also there will be separate switches so that's not a switch/button.
Prime 1986 liked this
oidoglr wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 7:31 am I'm preparing myself to expect that functionally, I'd switch the pack on prior to putting it on my back, and the remaining functions will emanate from the wand. Anything more it does is gravy, but even that is plenty cool for me.
Don't forget you can also ask a friend to turn you on from behind. Disregarding the adult implications, it'd be a nice gag to set up if they turn you on and then slowly back away.
oidoglr liked this
GhostFaceX wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 6:47 am It kiiinda is? But smaller. Check out picture 70 here:

https://www.tested.com/culture/ghostbus ... toId=24623

Also there will be separate switches so that's not a switch/button.
Ah I see it now in another pic yeah it's supposed to be that screw there
I posted the full video 22 minutes ago, LOL.

viewtopic.php?f=108&t=48705
mwilkinson, jonogunn liked this
Kingpin wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 3:49 am

I should have clarified a bit - I definitely just think it would be cool if the wand sounds came through the pack as well as the wand. I know it makes sense with physics and such that the wand sounds would only come from the wand, but it would be awesome to feel it blasting from behind your head too and really impress people.
I still feel like they haven't really talked about how to convert this or take off parts to make it an 84' pack unless I totally missed something. It's just weird being that supposedly some parts like the wires are designed to come off and obviously with the 84' pack clean sticker sheet. I know they are all about touting the new movie, but it's not like talking about making it an 84' pack takes away from the greatness or marketability of the movie. Anything Ghostbusters at this point is selling, I'm sure.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]