By torsoboy
Hey all, I started on a game-style PKE meter for our Huntsville group. It's still lacking arms, but those will come later. I'm to the point on this body portion that it's ready to be molded.

I'll be casting hollow copies so that 1) they'll be light, and 2) electronics can be installed if we want to go that far. Plus, at a later time if I make them available to buy, the buyer can go all out on it if he or she wants to.

So far, the build has used MDF and sintra, and not much more than that. All the buttons and details are all sintra. The game style grip was accomplished by wrapping the handle in black mosquito netting and running it into a groove on the bottom of the handle (just like how you would install it on a screen door), and then the ends were wrapped in thinly-cut electrical tape to clean it up. The tape isn't "accurate" but it sure does give it a very clean appearance.
By torsoboy
CPU64 wrote:I'm seriously wanting to build the RGB model PKE seen in the basement. I always liked it better than the iona version ^_^
Not quite sure how this applies to my thread at all. This thread is about a game version PKE meter, not a RGB or iona version. You don't have to post a reply if all you're gonna say is that you don't like it. :-/
Did I hear Interest list?
Nope. And I don't want to jump the gun should I end up deciding not to produce these for sale. If I decide to, you'll know. ;-)
By CPU64
I didn't post to say I don't like it. I'm really sorry if it sounded like that.
True, the one you're building is the game version, but my reply kinda applies to your thread if you consider that the RGB PKE is also IN the Ghostbusters game. Just not usable.
I like your build, in fact, I think it looks even better than the real ionas because of the grip detail.
By Kingpin
Absolutely beautiful work... obviously uses the older version of the game PKE, which is visible on the Basement work bench, but prior to the "full-screen" model. Wonderful work.

If it came down to a interest thread being posted, I would be another interested party... but that depends on how you feel on the matter once you've done some hollow casts.

Regardless, I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing this finished and painted. :)
By torsoboy
My apologies, then, CPU64. I have not played the game, so I thought you were talking about the RGB cartoon and thought that the "basement" thing was part of one of the movies that escaped my memory.

I'll be starting on the arms tonight. I'm still unsure how to approach them from a resin casting perspective. I'll be making one arm to cast two, so I could either make the arm as a single piece and make the mold relatively complex, or I can make the arm as two pieces and make really simple block molds. The latter would allow me to cast clear resin for the top piece (for which you would just paint everything but the lights), so I think I might do that.

My interest in making this available hinges on the difficulty of casting these things. If it ends up being pretty easy, I'll throw up an interest thread. We'll see!

And thanks for all the comments guys! I'm an experienced prop builder, but this is my first GB prop so I'm excited that it's turning out so well and that you all are liking it so much!
By Not404Error
Looks great man. I couldn't even fathom building it from scratch like that.
By torsoboy
Built the arm today. Mostly made out of sintra, but it has small plastic tubes in place of the LEDs. This thing is ready to be molded up!

And in relative position:

By ProtonCharger
that thing isnt beautiful. its not even that great.

its absofuckinlutelygorgeous.

if you make a run, this would probably be the only ghostbusters prop id buy.
By JimPhelps
Forgive my stupid question, but how did you sculpt the body for the meter? Just had a block of that MDF and used a laithe (Never could spell it)? THe body looks fantastic.
By Makuta
awesome, i like the pke meter in the game better than the original model in the movie.
seeing as i dont own a pke meter yet i would totally get this version over a iona shoe polisher version.
i just hope that the lights/display would resemble the game too.
By TheRockman
Nice! I'd like to see the finished product because it is really looking great thus far. I'm with some of the others in that I like this one better than the original GB1 PKE. Keep up the good work!
By Ryusui
I wonder what the chances are of actually incorporating a touch screen device into it and having an interactive Tobin's like in the game.

Hey, we're allowed to dream, right? And if you're gonna dream, might as well dream big.
By Martog
Ryusui wrote:I wonder what the chances are of actually incorporating a touch screen device into it and having an interactive Tobin's like in the game.

Hey, we're allowed to dream, right? And if you're gonna dream, might as well dream big.
At that point you'd be gutting a PDA to use for the inards of the PKE meter for that kind of functionality, would be really neat though to see!

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]