For news, reviews, videos and general topics about Ghostbusters: The Video Game, and the newer apps on Android and iOS.
So as I was talking to a friend over on facebook, we both said that Ghostbusters: The Video Game should be canon and classed as Ghostbusters III and I mentioned how Spirits Unleashed should be canon as well considering that it follows on from the end of Afterlife (Where the scene of Winston standing in the broken down firehouse (Even though Ray said it was now a coffee shop in Afterlife lol) where we see Ecto-1 come in.

So my question to you is, DO you consider the two games to be canon to the ghostbusters timeline seeing as how Jason Reitman/Ghost Corps has come out and emphatically stated that TVG is NO LONGER canon?
Kieron W wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 1:07 pm So as I was talking to a friend over on facebook, we both said that Ghostbusters: The Video Game should be canon and classed as Ghostbusters III and I mentioned how Spirits Unleashed should be canon as well considering that it follows on from the end of Afterlife (Where the scene of Winston standing in the broken down firehouse (Even though Ray said it was now a coffee shop in Afterlife lol) where we see Ecto-1 come in.

So my question to you is, DO you consider the two games to be canon to the ghostbusters timeline seeing as how Jason Reitman/Ghost Corps has come out and emphatically stated that TVG is NO LONGER canon?
the 2009 game WAS canon up to Afterlife. Now I toss it in with the IDW continuity

GB:SU never was canon as stated by the devs and everyone working on the game. It's canon adjacent. Is there a greater-than-zero chance that some elements of GBSU will make it into Firehouse? Sure, but those odds are somewhere between 0 and 1%.
Kieron W, deadderek liked this
Rookie99 wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 2:59 pm The Video Game is what got me into Ghostbusters way back in the day, so it's always going to have a special place in my heart. Because of that, I've thought up a few ways the game could still work.
For example: why did Gozer rip Shandor in half? Because of what happened in the game.
It was mainly due to the fact that Gozer was thrown away by Shandor in TVG and the whole quote of "Why try to bring back a god...when you CAN BE A GOD!".
Ouch!

This is gonna get some people arguing that's for sure!

Here is the situation:

GBTVG (Realistic version) was considered canon (due to comments by Dan Aykroyd that he really considered it the original GB3 and the fact that he and Ramis worked on the script).

Later, Afterlife showed some discrepancies with GBTVG (Realistic version) (with Gozer returning and the whole Shandor thing).

On face value GBTVG (Realistic version) and Afterlife seemed to be (somewhat) incompatible which led to some saying saying GBTVG (RV) was no longer canon. MANY fans here (especially those who don't really have an interest in gaming) went with that statement. It was an official statement afterall.

But for people (like me) who were and are deeply in love with GBTVG (RV) we have a hard time letting that go so easily.

The fact that it is an official release, having had script input from Aykroyd and Ramis (the original script writers of GB1), is the final release where all 4 Ghostbusters are in an adventure together, is a straight up sequel to GB2 set just 2 years later, is 60 hrs (at least) and has YOU experience it from within, interacting with the actual Ghostbusters, was just too good to be true. Especially being released 20 years after the last movie installment.

It released really out of the blue, featuring almost the entire GB1 cast of actual actors (Murray, Aykroyd, Ramis, Hudson, Potts and Atherton). That was a miracle.

What made it even more miraculous was the quality and fan service in the game. Every little part of it oozed the fact that it was made by real fans of the franchise and not a corporation. It is a benchmark on how to make a videogame out of a movie franchise.

That's the situation. Eventhough officially Sony has (I think still) decanonised it, for those of us that love it, we go by Aykroyds word.

And yeah you can kind of make it fit Afterlife with saying that Gozer was fooling Shandor all along and ripped him in half the moment she saw him because of what happened in the video game.

It’s uncharacteristic for Gozer to kill someone the moment he/she encounters them (i.e. when the GB’s met Gozer in GB1 or the Phoebe/ Gozer scene in Afterlife.) Yet Gozer ripped Shandor in half the moment it laid eyes on him. Also Shandor looks identical in Afterlife as he did in GBTVG.

The driver of the Ecto1 in the final scene of Afterlife, who drives it into the Firehouse also suspiciously has the Rookie's (Bryan Welsh) look. Winston saying he started his business with "1" employee felt like a hug.

Instead of arguing it those of us that love it really try to get as many people to play it and fall in love with it as we have.

As for Spirits Unleased (while I love that game too) I have no data on that. The game doesn't have a detailed or long story, being a multiplayer action game. On face value it seems to be harder to reconcile it being canon with the upcoming Firehouse unless they reference all the characters (Eddie, Cat, etc) in the new movie, which looks unlikely. To be honest GBTVG deserves to be referenced in Firehouse so much more than SU does. Simply because of the artistic franchise merit.
Last edited by One time on February 13th, 2023, 11:30 am, edited 5 times in total.
Kieron W liked this
One time wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 3:37 pm Ouch!

Here is the situation:

GBTVG (Realistic version) was considered canon (due to comments by Dan Aykroyd that he really considered it the original GB3 and the fact that he and Ramis worked on the script).

Later, Afterlife showed some discrepancies with GBTVG (Realistic version) (with Gozer returning and the whole Shandor thing, I won't spoil anything).

On face value GBTVG (Realistic version) and Afterlife seemed to be (somewhat) incompatible which led to Sony exec Eric Reich saying GBTVG (RV) was no longer canon. MANY fans here (especially those who don't really have an interest in gaming) went with that statement. It was an official statement afterall.

But for people (like me) who were and are deeply in love with GBTVG (RV) we have a hard time letting that go so easily. The fact that it is an official release, having had script input from Aykroyd and Ramis (the original script writers of GB1), is the final release where all 4 Ghostbusters are in an adventure together, is a straight up sequel to GB2 set just 2 years later, is 60 hrs (at least) and has YOU experience it from within, interacting with the actual Ghostbusters, was just too good to be true. Especially being released 20 years after the last movie installment.

It released really out of the blue, as there was nothing Ghostbusters related going on in that time period (2009), featuring almost the entire GB1 cast of actual actors (Murray, Aykroyd, Ramis, Hudson, Potts and Atherton). That was a miracle.

What made it even more miraculous was the quality and fan service in the game. Every little part of it oozed the fact that it was made by real fans of the franchise and not a corporation. It is a benchmark on how to make a videogame out of a movie franchise.

That's the situation. Eventhough officially Sony has (I think still) decanonised it, for those of us that love it, we go by Aykroyds word. And yeah you can kind of make it fit Afterlife with saying that Gozer was fooling Shandor all along and ripped him in half the moment she saw him because of what happened in the video game, the driver of the Ecto1 in the final scene of Afterlife, who drives it into the Firehouse also suspiciously has the Rookie's (Bryan Welsh) look. But the statements from Sony are what they are.

Instead of arguing it those of us that love it really try to get as many people to play it and fall in love with it as we have.

As for Spirits Unleased (while I love that game too) I have no data on that. The game doesn't have a detailed or long story, being a multiplayer action game. On face value it seems to be harder to reconcile it being canon with the upcoming Firehouse unless they reference all the characters (Eddie, Cat, etc) in the new movie, which looks unlikely.
Agreed, it's gonna be one that starts an argument for sure, and apparently from what a friend said which does back up what you said, is that Sony/Reitman did NOT have any input from it at the time, it was mainly made by Atari with the help of Ramis/Aykroyd, which is possible why Sigourney wasn't available for the video game and they had to go with Ilysa being a Shandor.

With the Ecto 1 driving in GBA, it's a good theory that the rookie (Brian) is the one driving it since after the events, Ray gave the keys to Ecto 1B to Brian so he could continue his franchise in Chicago (where ironically he meets Jason Reitman lol)

But getting back to the arguments, I don't want anyone to argue over whether the game is canon or not, y'all are entitled to y'all opinions and to say the least, it's a heck of a game, I just rebought it on Switch Lite (I have it also on PS4 and will probably have it for Xbox One/Series Console soon!) and I love the fact that people are modding the game to make it look like a "TRG" version of the game as well!
One time liked this
Kieron W wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 4:23 pm
Agreed, it's gonna be one that starts an argument for sure, and apparently from what a friend said which does back up what you said, is that Sony/Reitman did NOT have any input from it at the time, it was mainly made by Atari with the help of Ramis/Aykroyd, which is possible why Sigourney wasn't available for the video game and they had to go with Ilysa being a Shandor.

With the Ecto 1 driving in GBA, it's a good theory that the rookie (Brian) is the one driving it since after the events, Ray gave the keys to Ecto 1B to Brian so he could continue his franchise in Chicago (where ironically he meets Jason Reitman lol)

But getting back to the arguments, I don't want anyone to argue over whether the game is canon or not, y'all are entitled to y'all opinions and to say the least, it's a heck of a game, I just rebought it on Switch Lite (I have it also on PS4 and will probably have it for Xbox One/Series Console soon!) and I love the fact that people are modding the game to make it look like a "TRG" version of the game as well!
There are interviews with Weaver actually regretting she said no to the game after she heard that all the main cast would be in it.

SPOILER:
This is what caused TR to recast Alyssa Milano as Dr. Ilyssa Selwyn.
The part was initially meant to be Dana Barrett and would explain why she had been at the centre of GB1 and GB2 = she was a Shandor descendant
/SPOILER

This is what some of us love about GBTVG. It ties in elements of GB1 and GB2 together. It explains and links together both movies. And to have Venkman, Stantz, Spengler and Zeddemore (in carefully thought out groups) talk to you regarding things that you do is just nirvana for a fan.

PS: "Ray gave the keys to Ecto 1B to Brian" I'd completely forgotten about that part!! That gives even more credence to Welsh driving the Ecto1 into the firehouse at the end of Afterlife. And Winston saying "I started this business with ONE employee" was like a hug to those of us that love GBTVG.

But yeah, everything could be argued both ways. In essence we are lucky that this franchise isn't like Terminator where canonicity is a crapshoot.
Kieron W liked this

Here is the situation:

Later, Afterlife showed some discrepancies with GBTVG (Realistic version) (with Gozer returning and the whole Shandor thing, I won't spoil anything).

On face value GBTVG (Realistic version) and Afterlife seemed to be (somewhat) incompatible which led to Sony exec Eric Reich saying GBTVG (RV) was no longer canon. MANY fans here (especially those who don't really have an interest in gaming) went with that statement. It was an official statement afterall.

But for people (like me) who were and are deeply in love with GBTVG (RV) we have a hard time letting that go so easily. The fact that it is an official release, having had script input from Aykroyd and Ramis (the original script writers of GB1), is the final release where all 4 Ghostbusters are in an adventure together, is a straight up sequel to GB2 set just 2 years later, is 60 hrs (at least) and has YOU experience it from within, interacting with the actual Ghostbusters, was just too good to be true. Especially being released 20 years after the last movie installment.

It released really out of the blue, as there was nothing Ghostbusters related going on in that time period (2009), featuring almost the entire GB1 cast of actual actors (Murray, Aykroyd, Ramis, Hudson, Potts and Atherton). That was a miracle.

That's the situation. Eventhough officially Sony has (I think still) decanonised it, for those of us that love it, we go by Aykroyds word. And yeah you can kind of make it fit Afterlife with saying that Gozer was fooling Shandor all along and ripped him in half the moment she saw him because of what happened in the video game, the driver of the Ecto1 in the final scene of Afterlife, who drives it into the Firehouse also suspiciously has the Rookie's (Bryan Welsh) look. But the statements from Sony are what they are.

As for Spirits Unleased (while I love that game too) I have no data on that. The game doesn't have a detailed or long story, being a multiplayer action game. On face value it seems to be harder to reconcile it being canon with the upcoming Firehouse unless they reference all the characters (Eddie, Cat, etc) in the new movie, which looks unlikely.

The only reason Aykroyd said the game was canon was because at the time there was no chance we would get a third movie.
But with a third movie it decanonised the game.
The mental gymnastics to get the 2009 game to work in with the canon of the movie is baffling.
Clearly the Rookie never took the Ecto to Chicago since it went to Summerville.
And when Winston said he started his company "with one employee" my mind never even thought of the Rookie and you cannot even see whose driving the Ecto into the firehouse at the end of Afterlife. My first thought was its just the transport driver who trucked Ecto from Summerville.

The way I understand it there's a few canons now.

Film: GB, GBII & GBA
Cartoon: RGB & EGB
Game 1: GBTVG
Game 2: GBSU
And multiple comics. IDW being the main one.

While GBSU has elements carried on from GBA its its own timeline. And offshoot of the main GB Tree.
Its no more canon to the films than the cartoon is.
So GBSU will have no more affect on GB4 than GBTVG had on GBA. They're all seperate timelines and we've had several comments from Ghost Corps to back that up.
What Aykroyd said in '09 can no longer be held as gospel as there has been a third film to continue the official story.
The 2009 fits afterlife just fine. If you think that's mentally gymnastics you should marvel or DC comic cannon.

The odd thing about spirits unleashed is while it obviously won't have an effect on the new movie, there is a high likelihood that the movie will effect the game. I'd bet that a new ghosts from it will be featured in a dlc. Maybe some cosmetics too.
One time liked this
The Video Game isn't canon anymore. Ghost Corps said so. Time to move on folks.
The Slo Blow attachment to Egon's pack, as the video game add on's to the Spengler rifle show that Jason or Hasbro took inspiration from the video game. So canon or not it's still being acknowledged in some capacity. One thing I do hope we get out of the new film is an 84 rifle for the Hasbro pack or a newer rifle all together.
One time liked this
timeware wrote: March 26th, 2023, 1:13 pm So canon or not it's still being acknowledged in some capacity.
Yeah it's a nice little Easter egg, had nothing to do with canon.
timeware wrote: March 26th, 2023, 1:13 pm The Slo Blow attachment to Egon's pack, as the video game add on's to the Spengler rifle show that Jason or Hasbro took inspiration from the video game.
What Slo Blo attachment?

As noted by Derek, the video game sounds/lights were more an easter egg than anything else... if they'd actually appeared in Afterlife things would be different, but they didn't.
deadderek liked this
I don't consider them canon. Not even in a head canon way. Spirits Unleashed takes a lot of cues from Afterlife in a way that RGB took a lot of cues from GB1 and even GB2 but existed as it's own separate continuity and a successful one at that, imo. Or IDW with GB1, GB2, and TVG then well, everything but the kitchen sink once it addressed the multiverse, lol. Once it became apparent they were their own separate continuities, I was fine with it and made the edit in my head. But sure I was disappointed with the former since TVG was Ramis's last GB project and elements of it could have helped further cement Egon's obsession with the end of the world and Gozer like when he marvels with the orrery system on Shandor Island and Winston tells him to stay in the light.

Kingpin wrote: March 27th, 2023, 4:09 am
timeware wrote: March 26th, 2023, 1:13 pm The Slo Blow attachment to Egon's pack, as the video game add on's to the Spengler rifle show that Jason or Hasbro took inspiration from the video game.
What Slo Blo attachment?

As noted by Derek, the video game sounds/lights were more an easter egg than anything else... if they'd actually appeared in Afterlife things would be different, but they didn't.
I was wondering the same. Maybe he meant how the Hasbro Pulse Spengler's Neutrona Wand has Slime Blower, Stasis Stream, and Meson Collider modes from The Video Game as a bonus feature.
Kingpin liked this
Kieron W wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 1:07 pm So as I was talking to a friend over on facebook, we both said that Ghostbusters: The Video Game should be canon and classed as Ghostbusters III and I mentioned how Spirits Unleashed should be canon as well considering that it follows on from the end of Afterlife (Where the scene of Winston standing in the broken down firehouse (Even though Ray said it was now a coffee shop in Afterlife lol) where we see Ecto-1 come in.

Ray said that it was a coffee shop in SU as well.

Here is the situation:

Later, Afterlife showed some discrepancies with GBTVG (Realistic version) (with Gozer returning and the whole Shandor thing).

On face value GBTVG (Realistic version) and Afterlife seemed to be (somewhat) incompatible which led to some saying saying GBTVG (RV) was no longer canon. MANY fans here (especially those who don't really have an interest in gaming) went with that statement. It was an official statement afterall.

But for people (like me) who were and are deeply in love with GBTVG (RV) we have a hard time letting that go so easily.

The fact that it is an official release, having had script input from Aykroyd and Ramis (the original script writers of GB1), is the final release where all 4 Ghostbusters are in an adventure together, is a straight up sequel to GB2 set just 2 years later, is 60 hrs (at least) and has YOU experience it from within, interacting with the actual Ghostbusters, was just too good to be true. Especially being released 20 years after the last movie installment.

It released really out of the blue, featuring almost the entire GB1 cast of actual actors (Murray, Aykroyd, Ramis, Hudson, Potts and Atherton). That was a miracle.

That's the situation. Eventhough officially Sony has (I think still) decanonised it, for those of us that love it, we go by Aykroyds word.

And yeah you can kind of make it fit Afterlife with saying that Gozer was fooling Shandor all along and ripped him in half the moment she saw him because of what happened in the video game.

It’s uncharacteristic for Gozer to kill someone the moment he/she encounters them (i.e. when the GB’s met Gozer in GB1 or the Phoebe/ Gozer scene in Afterlife.) Yet Gozer ripped Shandor in half the moment it laid eyes on him. Also Shandor looks identical in Afterlife as he did in GBTVG.

The driver of the Ecto1 in the final scene of Afterlife, who drives it into the Firehouse also suspiciously has the Rookie's (Bryan Welsh) look. Winston saying he started his business with "1" employee felt like a hug.

As for Spirits Unleased (while I love that game too) I have no data on that. The game doesn't have a detailed or long story, being a multiplayer action game. On face value it seems to be harder to reconcile it being canon with the upcoming Firehouse unless they reference all the characters (Eddie, Cat, etc) in the new movie, which looks unlikely. To be honest GBTVG deserves to be referenced in Firehouse so much more than SU does. Simply because of the artistic franchise merit.
"60 Hours -At least-"
I completed the game in less than 12.
Last edited by Kingpin on March 27th, 2023, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Posts combined
What Slo Blo attachment?

The green cable and the slo-blo sticker? I'm assuming at one point the rifle had the capability to shoot slime. I'm guessing Egon removed the slime blower attatchments.
timeware wrote: March 27th, 2023, 9:58 am

What Slo Blo attachment?

The green cable and the slo-blo sticker? I'm assuming at one point the rifle had the capability to shoot slime. I'm guessing Egon removed the slime blower attatchments.
The slo-blo sticker was on the original wands. It has no correlation or involvement with the Slime Blower 2.0/Plasm Distribution System. Also, what green cable? The green hose that has been on the wand since the literal original movie? And it's a wand, not a rifle.
Kingpin, zeta otaku, Hairy Biker and 1 others liked this
It's been said before, but... yeah, the 2008 game is not canon with Afterlife and the dev team have stated that SU is it's own little thing, an alternate follow up to Afterlife. We definitely won't be getting any direct nods to Spirits Unleashed in the Afterlife sequel beyond MAYBE an easter egg.
deadderek, Kingpin liked this
Are the games canon? No. Does that mean you can't prefer they are and make your own "head canon" storyline where those games do fit in with the official canon from Sony? No. By all means. I do. I actually think Spirits Unleashed will probably fit in better with Firehouse then most think it will. Sure "your" character may not be in the film but there will be a new team and who knows what the timeline span is from Afterlife so Kat or Eddie may not be there anymore but maybe references will be.
Arch27 liked this

Spirits Unleashed - Ray mentions that the firehouse was turned into a coffee shop, but then that closed and Winston purchased it. Ray also mentions Phoebe by name as Egon's granddaughter.

And yeah I don't care what Ghost Corps says - GB:TVG can still be canon. It's not like it established much of anything that wouldn't have completely changed in 30 years. Afterlife shows that at least Egon was experimenting with the gear to adapt to new situations. The story elements weren't revolutionary in TVG to the point that they retconned anything crazy. I get that people are going batty about the appearance of Shandor as opposed to his TVG appearance - but there could be an explanation somewhere if they wanted there to be.

Frankly I think Afterlife would have been perfectly fine WITHOUT including Shandor in any way other than in name/historically associated with Summerville. As cool as JK Simmons is, it was the most pointless of cameos, and the lore of GB would have been OK without seeing Ivo Shandor there.
One time liked this
It's officially not. Some fans will keep it as their head canon. Not really a big deal.
Arch27 liked this
The only thing keeping Ghostbusters: The Video Game from being truly canon to Afterlife in my eyes, is 2 things. 1) Once again it implies Dana and Peter aren't together again since he's once again flirting with women, Alyssa in particular. Afterlife clearly implies they got married. 2) Shandor can't be alive and well in his body if he's already well and truly destroyed in the video game. He's not some demi-god like Gozer, he was just a regular ghost that got to form into a destructor.
Seth Rex wrote: April 28th, 2023, 9:09 pm 2) Shandor can't be alive and well in his body if he's already well and truly destroyed in the video game. He's not some demi-god like Gozer, he was just a regular ghost that got to form into a destructor.
1:Shandor wasn't alive, he was a reanimated corpse full of slime. This is pretty clear in Afterlife, I don't understand why people think he was some how alive.

2: Ghost are a form of energy. Energy can't be destroyed. Shandor lost the extra power he got from the ECU and was banished back to the "ghost world" at the end of the game. In Afterlife his weakened soul came back to his prepared body when the "well of souls" reached the chamber in the mine.
One time liked this
Bison256 wrote: April 29th, 2023, 3:16 am
Seth Rex wrote: April 28th, 2023, 9:09 pm 2) Shandor can't be alive and well in his body if he's already well and truly destroyed in the video game. He's not some demi-god like Gozer, he was just a regular ghost that got to form into a destructor.
1:Shandor wasn't alive, he was a reanimated corpse full of slime. This is pretty clear in Afterlife, I don't understand why people think he was some how alive.

2: Ghost are a form of energy. Energy can't be destroyed. Shandor lost the extra power he got from the ECU and was banished back to the "ghost world" at the end of the game. In Afterlife his weakened soul came back to his prepared body when the "well of souls" reached the chamber in the mine.
His skull was found by the Rookie in Central Park, and it's description made it clear his physical body had rotted away by 1992.

Plus, I'm pretty sure what you interpret as "slime" was just meant to be some of his internal juices... If Afterlife had been rater higher than 12/PG-13, it would've had a much gorier moment than what was filmed.

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]