Have a guide or tutorial? Post it up!
By Chace
You guys are still overthinking it...

One of our members, John Ficker, came up with the simplest most elegant solution...

JELLO SHOT.

Now you can have realistic slime AND get hammered AT THE SAME TIME!!!!

FunkPunkTwang liked this
By The Rookie
I guess it's time I throw myself into the slime gauntlet...

So, back in May at the Alabama Phoenix Festival I was in charge of doing a "Slime Lab" for the kids and decided that borax slime was the best way to go, so naturally I made plenty of test batches to make sure I didn't look like a total jackass when it came time to wow the childrens. Of course, given that these slime samples could be considered props, I kept them stored away for safe keeping (i.e. In sandwich bags wedged somewhere in my closet). When APF was over with, I figured that I could use the samples made previously and the ones that I had to make during the demonstration could be used as interactive table decor, so the kids could have some slime to play with at our table. What emerged from my closet was even more glorious. From what I gather, the bonds in the slime had broken down, and it has become the slime proper. It oozes and flows, and it even develops wispy strings when you flick it off your fingers (a la Venkman during the "Someone blows their nose..." scene in the library) but is still thick enough to stay put on a surface if need be. I... I love it. I'm proud of it. It's the best slime I've ever had.

(P.S. To any parents who might be reading this, allow me to apologize if the slime your children made at APF became this wonderful sticky mess. Then again, you can't be too surprised. Slime + Childrens = Mess. Every time.)
By redfive1973
Remember reading back in some old Fango's that I think they used ky and milk to make slime for some horror flick. Don't remember what the movie even was just remember a bunch of good looking girls covered in the goop.
By Heroic35
redfive1973 wrote:Remember reading back in some old Fango's that I think they used ky and milk to make slime for some horror flick. Don't remember what the movie even was just remember a bunch of good looking girls covered in the goop.
I would imagine that the "slime" took on the color of "milk" and then it was poured on "good looking girls."

You said horror movie, right? :vinzclortho:

I started to read up on this cellulose stuff and kinda neat:

http://www.modernistpantry.com/methylce ... Mgodq1YAgQ
Low Viscosity Methylcellulose E461, or methyl cellulose is a thickener and emulsifier. Methylcellulose is a compound derived from cellulose. This white hydrophilic powder dissolves ONLY in cold liquid to form a clear viscous solution or gel. A solution of methylcellulose will turn solid when heated and since it is completely thermo-reversible will turn back to liquid when cooled. It is also used as a stabilizer in ice cream to help prevent the formation of ice crystals during freezing or re-freezing after a thaw. Like cellulose this component is non toxic, and not allergenic.

Methylcellulose LV is Low Viscosity (approximately 450 cps. in 2% solution). Cold water soluble, Methylcellulose LV will gel when heated to temperatures from 118F to 132F. Our LV and HV methylcellulose can be mixed together at different ratios to achieve desired effects.
So it dries in high temps and then returns to liquid in cold temperatures? Cool.

I was thinking of just getting some of this to see how Bill felt in that scene.
By kurisu7885
redfive1973 wrote:Remember reading back in some old Fango's that I think they used ky and milk to make slime for some horror flick. Don't remember what the movie even was just remember a bunch of good looking girls covered in the goop.

........... i want to say something, but it's too easy a joke and i might break a few rules
By EctoPrimer
I've been considering using KY with washable paint mix as a slime.
I need it for 3 properties:
-washable, I don't want to stain my true spec suit
-shows up on camera
-non flammable. I don't want any actors hurt during the Venkman Inc videos

Based on other people's experiences, does this sound like a good mix?
By Eightcell
For something you can make quickly without a mess and is safe for kids check out the tutorial on our site: http://nycghostbusters.com/more/slime-lab/

We've had a lot of success at events like library visits where we set up a Slime Lab and the kids get to make their own batch and take it home.

It has a consistency that is more or less similar to Nickelodeon Gak, but you can play with the amounts in the recipe to make it runnier. Obviously you can also change the color by adding more or less dye, and the amount of transparency will differ if you use white or clear elmer's glue.
By methos2523
for slime on uniforms, i'm wondering if anyone has tried hot glue gun sticks?

It's an idea the missus came up with, and i was curious if anyone had tried it yet... basically boiling down a handfull of hot glue gun sticks in a saucepan, adding some green highlighter ink or similar, then dribbling / dropping the glue onto the suit in areas where you want slime to be...

The glue would be flexible over the uniform, but still look wet, sickly, and slimey when it dried, giving a slight 3D curve to the slime rather than the flat drenched in look that's normally used.

Anyone tried this sort of thing before?
By EctoPrimer
You can't take it off, and you can't interact with it in a fan film. Though it would be nice for cons
By methos2523
yeah, it'd be a permanent fixture on the suit... i thought it was a good idea as i'm often carry camera around with me in kit around cons, doing shoots for people and keeping busy... i wanted the weathered / slimed style suit, but not something that could rub off on expensive equipment or soak through camera straps and bits...

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]