Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By Sav C
It's like deja vu all over again... If the family's OK with it then I'm OK with it. I wonder how much screen time it would be, though. Would it be a full role or a cameo?
By Davideverona
If they go the Ghostbusters Alive Again route it can work. Ray and Egon were ethereal presences who interacted trough EVP, lifting things and Ray briefly possessing his son's body. I think they only showed at the very end after the big battle revealing that was them who helped the young busters.

It can work.

Keep Ray and Winston alive, make Peter and Egon ghosts, put Egon's son/daughter in the mix and you're done.
By robbritton
I still think the sensible thing to do is an animated bridging movie, so we can have all the guys in their prime again for one (whether it's a crossover with ATC or not) that then leads into future live action ones with Dan and Ernie as mentors. Saves on the distracting nature of CGI characters and also allows them to do something huge without the usual budget worries.

(also, having them young(ish) again removes the horribly clunky thing where their children are now Ghostbusters. It's always such a weird plot thread. I'm not an Agricultural Lecturer just because my Dad was, y'know?!)

And I've said it before, but if it means you can get Maurice La Marche and somewhat less disruptive than Bill (just thinking back on skankerzero's video game comments about him) doing voices, then all the better!
Sav C liked this
By Lee FW
Davideverona wrote:Violet Ramis weighed in on the possibility of putting a cgi Egon in what the media already started calling Ghostbusters 3 (so, yes, it's officially Ghostbusters 3 all over again).

She said that would be bizarre but her father would have liked it if done in a smart way and that sits ok with her.

I think that if the late actors relatives gives their blessing they can proceed.
It would be weird for sure, not quite certain I could accept a "living" representation of Mr Ramis but I could certainly take a ghost with Egon like qualities, especially if voiced by mr LaMarche. I was so into The Real Ghostbusters that his take on Egon is just as important to me. I guess it would be an evolution on the idea of Slimer being the ghost of John Belushi only I imagine a little more obvious and hopefully tasteful.

A ghost Egon would also tie into his comments about always liking the idea of a ghost being a Ghostbuster.
By JurorNo.2
robbritton wrote:
(also, having them young(ish) again removes the horribly clunky thing where their children are now Ghostbusters. It's always such a weird plot thread. I'm not an Agricultural Lecturer just because my Dad was, y'know?!)
Yes thank you! I did always think that was weird when fans brought it up (and their fan rage about it only made it seem more hilarious frankly). Would the Ghostbusters really all have kids who wanted to be scientists, never mind paranormal exterminators? Never mind I really have trouble picturing Venkman or Egon settling down with a family. Winston I could definitely see it. Ray, maybe, but then again I think he'd be just as content doing science with Egon forever, lol.
robbritton, Lee FW, Sav C liked this
By Davideverona
Well, if my dad was a ghostbuster I would have killed to have his job! :)

It would work with Oscar being Venkman's stepchild, or having Egon's niece.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By JurorNo.2
Davideverona wrote:Well, if my dad was a ghostbuster I would have killed to have his job! :)
Oh sure, some kids would! I just don't think they all would.
It would work with Oscar being Venkman's stepchild, or having Egon's niece.
There you go, that's how you do it, have the kid being like one step removed from the authority figure. Like in Dragnet (1987), it would have been too cartoony to have '80s Joe Friday be the son and literal clone of '60s Joe Friday. But you could understand a nephew idolizing an uncle from afar.
robbritton liked this
By robbritton
Davideverona wrote:Ecto Force on hold despite having gained interest from various networks in favour of the animated movie linked to the original universe. Reitman revealed this on the Empire Movie Podcast.

Here's the link

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/news ... cott-buck/
Also saying he doesn't want a multiverse, but to retool things so ATC is a direct sequel to the originals, which is ridiculous. Every fan idea for that has been pants. Come on Ivan, keep it multi dimensional and move on, man!
By JurorNo.2
Well with that end credits scene, it really wouldn't take much to make ATC a direct sequel. The Star Trek reboots (flawed as they are) did manage to work that out pretty easily with the time line plot device. And it's clear this is what Reitman and Aykroyd wanted to do from the beginning, just get ATC out so they're able to make a more traditional movie. And if they're going to, they really need to do it now when it's still practical. Maybe that's why they don't want to delay it with an animated project.
Sav C liked this
By Davideverona
robbritton wrote:
Davideverona wrote:Ecto Force on hold despite having gained interest from various networks in favour of the animated movie linked to the original universe. Reitman revealed this on the Empire Movie Podcast.

Here's the link

Also saying he doesn't want a multiverse, but to retool things so ATC is a direct sequel to the originals, which is ridiculous. Every fan idea for that has been pants. Come on Ivan, keep it multi dimensional and move on, man!
WHAAAATTT???

I'm a little "deaf" when it comes to spoken English...can you elaborate a little more? :) transcribe what he said??
By robbritton
Yeah, but just the implication that he somehow wants to do the "everyone forgot the originals" idea that some fans had been touting leaves me cold. I'd much rather a team up. A team up allows them to be equals, the other line makes the new team inferior, like "on now we remember the REAL team". It's super lazy.

It's about the one property where existing in different dimensions could be a story boon. Can't understand why he'd not want to exploit that, is all.

EDIT: Oh he contradicts himself by saying they're leading with the animated movie later on. Oh god, I'm complaining about the film before it even exists! I'M ONE OF THEM! I have now checked myself and promise not to do it again. Sheesh, Rob!
Last edited by robbritton on July 25th, 2017, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee FW liked this
By robbritton
Davideverona wrote:
robbritton wrote:
WHAAAATTT???

I'm a little "deaf" when it comes to spoken English...can you elaborate a little more? :) transcribe what he said??
I'll try!

Transcript of the relevant bit here:
This Post Contains Spoilers
Apologies for the double post, just wanted to answer directly.
By Davideverona
so, Ivan wants to retcon ATC by making it a GB2.5 (if the next live action movie sees the original team coming back...THAT would be the Real GB3).

Interesting. so far I thought they were pulling the "two separate universes" string. The GB 101 story shows that....APPARENTLY.

WHAT IF....

In GB 101 the ATC team comes simply from the future and the overlapping is happening not between two dimensions but between the past and the future?

So, the hurdle is: why no one remembers the old GBs? The government put everything under the rug. A powerful demon made evryone (Ghostbusters included) forget about everything but, thanks God, there were a team of girls smart enough to reinvent the wheel.
Sav C, pferreira1983 liked this
By JurorNo.2
robbritton wrote:Yeah, but just the implication that he somehow wants to do the "everyone forgot the originals" idea that some fans had been touting leaves me cold.
Well he didn't seem to be saying that specifically.
robbritton liked this
By JurorNo.2
Davideverona wrote:so, Ivan wants to retcon ATC by making it a GB2.5
Well again, it pretty much already was with that end credits scene, at least that's how my audience took it (this was the Madam Tussaud screening so only hard core fans in the audience).
So, the hurdle is: why no one remembers the old GBs?
It's obvious, people are ungrateful little yuppie larvae. They had a whole movie about this! :D
The government put everything under the rug.
And ATC hinted at that, thus helping the idea that a new movie would be a sequel.
Sav C liked this
By Alphagaia
Davideverona wrote:This is Reitman's way of putting two fingers in the Feig's eyes who wanted absolutely no connection with the old movies, right?
He wanted ATC to be able to stand on it's own, but I believe he is ok with a connection in a sequel or otherwise, hence him being ok with GB101 (and even buying a copy himself).
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
Well at least the ATC 'busters invented their own tech, that way even though I'd be prefer to see them using the old packs and stuff, at least it's not like they're incapables who are just handed equipment. OK, that is a harsh statement, but you get my idea--it's nice that they (the ATC team) too had the know-how to build their own equipment. Honestly the new team should carry on using their new packs, and the old team should continue using theirs.

I've got a feeling the the movie will be connected by crossing through alternate dimensions, much like the proposed Hellbent script. Perhaps that would explain why the ghosts look different. The only thing I have against the alternate dimensions theory is that even though they've had alternate dimensions in the first film (where Gozer came from), I feel like the Ghostbusters actually crossing through into an alternate dimension may be pushing what they can successfully get away with in a Ghostbusters movie, as it might be too science fiction-y. In my mind, there is only one person sarcastic enough, deadpan enough, to successfully portray learning about the possibility of crossing dimensions through science, and it is Peter Venkman. Like the dancing toaster scene, if he muses enough he'll be able to distract from the impracticality of the idea. But his dialogue would have to be bang on--it would have to be portrayed as comedically as possible (in a subtle way, doy), instead of in a science fiction technobabble sense. Great technobabble is great, but the idea of crossing dimensions into another dimension so similar to ours requires dry humour to keep the audience from walking out.

Honestly I can imagine Ghostbusting, like firefighting or policing or fishing or whatnot, would be a job where the kids would have a high likelihood of following in their parent's footsteps.
By philmorgan81
Davideverona wrote:so, Ivan wants to retcon ATC by making it a GB2.5 (if the next live action movie sees the original team coming back...THAT would be the Real GB3).

Interesting. so far I thought they were pulling the "two separate universes" string. The GB 101 story shows that....APPARENTLY.

WHAT IF....

In GB 101 the ATC team comes simply from the future and the overlapping is happening not between two dimensions but between the past and the future?

So, the hurdle is: why no one remembers the old GBs? The government put everything under the rug. A powerful demon made evryone (Ghostbusters included) forget about everything but, thanks God, there were a team of girls smart enough to reinvent the wheel.
Well Ivan said before that he was testing the waters so to speak with the GB 101 storyline and he said that for the most part it was getting positive feedback. Now if he wants to move forward putting the cinematic world in one universe they could pull it off without acknowledging what happened in the comic. I believe the question that everyone is asking is if The Original Ghostbusters are teaming up with the ATC crew because the ATC crew are from another dimension how can they both exist in ONE reality. I do love your theory about the 101 story being a Time Overlapping and not Dimension overlapping, but they could go a different route. I mean The Real Ghostbusters existed in it's own world seperate from the films. None of the events in The Real Ghostbusters carried any weight in Ghostbusters 2. The comic just created a multiverse or as IDW puts it a multifaceted world where these worlds could actually co exist all bight different dimensions. Even the current comic has it's own continuity. It is a world that is heavily influenced by the films and includes everything that fans have come to love from all aspects of the franchise with The Inclusions of Dan's Easter Eggs. Like someone said here before, they acknowledge events of the video game, but certain events from the game played out a little differently in this world.

So I suppose that if the cinematic world is seperate from all that, it could exist in one single reality. It just takes some clever writing. Looking back on ATC the thing that makes it a bit difficult are the original actors cameos. Difficult, but not impossible. Even though Paul Feig wanted to do a film where no one had ever seen a ghost it doesn't exactly play out that way. Throughout the movie and even during the climax the people don't seem very scared of the ghosts. I think someone here said that in The Novelization of ATC the army was equipped with a Proton Cannon of some kind. Kind of a strange thing for the army to have if this world has never encountered anything supernatural. The Mayor's agents made a statement that "The cat has been out of the bag before", but then go on to describe an incident that is not related to the original films. Waisted Opportunity. The ATC crew are referred to as Ghostbusters before they have even successfully caught a Ghost. That Graffiti Artist just happens to pull the GB Logo out of his ass. (PLEASE.). When the ATC members capture Mayham the only thing that has the Ghostbusters Logo on it is their car and yet Rowan is in an eatery drawing his evil version of the logo. I am pretty sure that I am nit picking here but wouldn't it have made more sense for him to be doing that after they decided to splash that logo on the car and their uniforms?

Now they could do the Government cover up thing, but like you said that could be lazy and tired. The only cameo that I think has a chance of bringing the worlds together might be Dan Aykroyd's. I know in Feigworld it is just a one off "Fun Nod" that has no bearing on the rest of the movie, but why does a New York Cabbie know about Class 5 Floating Vapors. That might be an interesting thing to explore moving forward. :):):)

I am excited to see if they can pull off putting it in one world. Or just scrap the ATC crew in future films. I am fine with either one as long as the original Ghostbusters are put back on the board somehow. :):):)
Sav C liked this
By philmorgan81

Here's the link

Now this was a pretty insightful interview. I am very glad that there are quite a few networks that want to pick up Ecto Force so maybe I can catch it on TV and not have to get a Netflix subscription. YAY! The other thing I enjoyed hearing was that Ivan wants the new animated film that has more of a feel of the classic films to be the new kick off point. I am thinking that he may want to do that because Ecto Force has the feel of the original instead of the reboot. Thats just an assumption, but if I am in the ball park DOUBLE YAY!!! :):):)
By Davideverona
What I'm excited about is all the talk about the new live action movie to MAYBE be A Ghostbusters 3. It's starting to feel like the good old 2008 again :)
philmorgan81 liked this
By philmorgan81
Davideverona wrote:What I'm excited about is all the talk about the new live action movie to MAYBE be A Ghostbusters 3. It's starting to feel like the good old 2008 again :)

LOL! Same here. I know many enjoyed or even loved ATC. I was disappointed in it, but I am starting to feel that it needed to be made in order for a traditional sequel to be truly appreciated. I mean they could have just made Ghostbusters 3 26 years late and people probably would have just rolled their eyes at it for just banking on Nostalgia. I am not saying that ATC didn't try, but it felt way different than a Ghostbusters movie to me. In those ways the movie did succeed in being it's own thing. I am looking forward to seeing something that looks familiar and feels like Ghostbusters. Hopefully capturing a bit of that nostalgia the RIGHT way. :):):)
JurorNo.2, deadderek liked this
By JurorNo.2
philmorgan81 wrote:LOL! Same here. I know many enjoyed or even loved ATC. I was disappointed in it, but I am starting to feel that it needed to be made in order for a traditional sequel to be truly appreciated. I mean they could have just made Ghostbusters 3 26 years late and people probably would have just rolled their eyes at it for just banking on Nostalgia. I am not saying that ATC didn't try, but it felt way different than a Ghostbusters movie to me. In those ways the movie did succeed in being it's own thing. I am looking forward to seeing something that looks familiar and feels like Ghostbusters. Hopefully capturing a bit of that nostalgia the RIGHT way. :):):)
Exactly, and I do get the rough impression that's what Reitman and Aykroyd felt as well, that if they couldn't get a GB3, ATC could be tolerated as a needed jolt to the franchise. I doubt they or anyone else could have predicted the "women aren't funny" nonsense that ensued. That was a bizarre distraction.
philmorgan81 liked this
By Alphagaia
Davideverona wrote:In February 2015 Aykroyd stated : "Let's get this one made then we can move on to a more traditional sequel like was planned". So maybe you're not that far from the truth.
Darn. That quote could have calmed a lot of people who where convinced/raging how ATC was going to replace the originals.
Sav C liked this
By JurorNo.2
Alphagaia wrote:
Davideverona wrote:In February 2015 Aykroyd stated : "Let's get this one made then we can move on to a more traditional sequel like was planned". So maybe you're not that far from the truth.
Darn. That quote could have calmed a lot of people who where convinced/raging how ATC was going to replace the originals.
Lol, well that quote wasn't kept secret or anything, it was around. And I did try to explain this to detractors over and over again, that if they didn't support ATC, it might make a sequel even less likely to happen.

EDIT: But no sour grapes, maybe the success of the comics, plus things like that VR exhibition, have made Sony more interested. We shall see!
By Seth Rex
I'm eagerly awaiting any news that pops up in the future months. Tell me, in your opinions, are we getting the Animated movie or the Live-Action first? It doesn't matter to me, I'm just wonering which one I should anticipate first :D:cool:
JurorNo.2 liked this
By philmorgan81
Seth Rex wrote:I'm eagerly awaiting any news that pops up in the future months. Tell me, in your opinions, are we getting the Animated movie or the Live-Action first? It doesn't matter to me, I'm just wonering which one I should anticipate first :D:cool:

I believe we will be seeing the animated movie first, then we will see the release of Ecto Force, then we will see the next live action movie. We don't know which one will hit the 35th anniversary, but that is their goal. :):):)

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]