Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
I'm really excited for no more Moffat is my main thing! I got so I couldn't handle it anymore and haven't watched much of the last few seasons. It was just so grating to me.

From interviews I think Jodie gets what's behind the series and the role so I actually think she will be alright. But Eccleston is my favourite so my opinions kinda diverge from majority opinions. I've been spoiled [indulged meaning] by Big Finish, so I know how great a female forefront protagonist can be in 'Who, not just as a companion.

So my opinion is: I will wait & see! It will be hard to get me to regularly watch the new stuff as it is, but I'm optimistic. I can understand some of the opposite opinions outside of just that she's a woman, and have seen a lot of drama over it on both sides [my Twitter feed has A LOT of Whovians].
Something I AM angry about though is the statements that during the Christmas special the First Doctor & Twelfth Doctor will have a conflict over the differences in 1960's versus 2017's opinions of women. The Doctor isn't from the 60's era, he's an alien. It sounds more like Moffat's wanting to rewrite or stomp on things from Classic 'Who he doesn't like. I.E. Make the First Doctor a chauvinistic pig :angryvigo:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/01 ... st-doctor/
JurorNo.2 liked this
Noremon wrote:The Doctor isn't from the 60's era, he's an alien.
That is a good point, but sometimes the attitudes of the time do bleed into a TV show, even if it's set in the future. The original Star Trek had some now antiquated ideas of women.

That said, I get what you mean. People have a tendency to underestimate the past. The thing is, I do think we encounter the same issues decade after decade. It's just that you have new generations who think it's always brand new, and never do their history homework.
Lefty Throckmorton liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Noremon wrote:The Doctor isn't from the 60's era, he's an alien.
That is a good point, but sometimes the attitudes of the time do bleed into a TV show, even if it's set in the future. The original Star Trek had some now antiquated ideas of women.

That said, I get what you mean. People have a tendency to underestimate the past. The thing is, I do think we encounter the same issues decade after decade. It's just that you have new generations who think it's always brand new, and never do their history homework.
I guess a lot of my issue is just where the idea to have the conflicting ideas is coming from. Moffat has a big tendency to rewrite past characters or scenarios of the show to try to be all "my season & characters are better!" [Last I watched he resurrected all the past companions that had died on Earth to torture and kill them off in the way he wanted]. It seems out of character for The Doctor to be expecting a young girl companion to be cleaning because she's female. I also have issue because the writer has written and treated female characters so badly. I agree there's a lens of the past with any media, and there is with aspects of early "Doctor Who". I just don't like that the show runner who thought it was hilarious to have The Doctor grab and forcibly kiss a married lesbian thinks his Doctor is above the original.
Noremon wrote:Moffat has a big tendency to rewrite past characters or scenarios of the show to try to be all "my season & characters are better!"
Ahhh, I see. So it's like that Turtles Forever movie. I understand and you have my sympathies, lol.
Noremon liked this
Noremon wrote:Last I watched he resurrected all the past companions that had died on Earth to torture and kill them off in the way he wanted
I don't remember that story at all. :whatever: ...unless you're talking about the two-parter season finale with Missy.

While I haven't seen much of Hartnell's era, I never got the feeling from what others had said of it that he was particularly sexist, he may have been grumpy and harsh in his dialogue at times, but it was directed equally to his male and female companions, with there possibly being a softer edge when talking to his granddaughter, Susan. I hope Bleeding Cool's impression is just a mistake on their part, but I wouldn't put it past Moffat to screw something else up.
Kingpin wrote:
Noremon wrote:Last I watched he resurrected all the past companions that had died on Earth to torture and kill them off in the way he wanted
I don't remember that story at all. :whatever: ...unless you're talking about the two-parter season finale with Missy.

While I haven't seen much of Hartnell's era, I never got the feeling from what others had said of it that he was particularly sexist, he may have been grumpy and harsh in his dialogue at times, but it was directed equally to his male and female companions, with there possibly being a softer edge when talking to his granddaughter, Susan. I hope Bleeding Cool's impression is just a mistake on their part, but I wouldn't put it past Moffat to screw something else up.
*Shrug* I just remember it was very convoluted with Cybermen & Missy.

Yeah, early on The Doctor greatly disliked humans. But the early companions really helped shape him into valuing life & being heroic. Shaking off the instilled Time Lord superiority. I guess I really liked that despite his grumpiness and such he still decided to steal a TARDIS and bring his granddaughter along.

Chibnall seems good at keeping the plot from what I've seen. I didn't like the ending of the Silurians two-parter because it was a letdown from the exciting first episode. I don't remember much of "Torchwood" or his other episodes. I used to binge watch "Life On Mars" so I don't have specific memories of his episodes there. I haven't watched "Broadchurch" but I remember reading how he made detailed charts for each character. So hopefully he will do well.

Again; I'm really hoping this will be a nice fresh start to the past few seasons. I'm indifferent that the Doctor will be a woman just as long as she keeps the spirit of the character. All we can really do is wait and see how it goes when her episodes start airing! I think they probably know what they're looking for in casting now. Like I remember many didn't like Eccleston especially the look of leather jacket & buzzed hair. But he ended-up being my favourite.

Actually posting on this thread has made me more likely to watch next season when it airs and I'm more excited.
Lefty Throckmorton liked this
Coover5 wrote: July 17th, 2017, 10:40 am
featofstrength wrote: Doctor Who really stopped for me when they introduced Romana II, so they can do as they please as far as I am concerned.
That's how I feel. What happened to Doctor Who is now happening to DC shows on CW and Fox. They are being turned into teen dramas with unnecessary romance stories. It all started after Harry Potter got so big. They all want to fight for that tween audience.
Like it or not, the younger viewers of most of these media franchises are the ones that will carry them into the future and keep them from dying. That's something people like you should be glad about.
The first full series (minus the special on New Year's Day) has now wrapped up, and responses have been generally favourable. Jodie is a good Doctor, and although it wasn't a stand-out series, there were a number of good stories in the run... With even the poorest ones still proving generally a better standard than some of the episodes from 2011-2017.

As for the insight the character development has given... I'm happy to say some people who were initially opposed to the character development have been won around by Jodie's personification.

Sadly, some fans remain resolutely opposed, with a grotesque level of misogyny revealing itself as the basis of the opposition from some fans.
I'll watch a few episodes.
The show just hasn't held my interest since David Tennant left the series. Do I need to watch the seasons after the 10th doctor in order to understand what's going on with Jodie's character?

The nice thing about the Dr. Who series is there will be eventually a doctor that everyone can relate to down the road. Not everyone is going to like every season. I just don't get the reason for the misogynistic back lash. I can perfectly understand not liking the new doctor because your favorite is no longer there.
Matt's final series explains why the Doctor is still alive beyond his/her original cycle of 13 lives, but beyond that there isn't anything vital you'd miss by not watching them - though it's worth watching the 50th anniversary story The Day of the Doctor for John Hurt, and the great banter between him, Tennant and Matt Smith.
Yeah, I'd say that was the movie's weakest link. He shouts in his stand ups, too, which gets to be too much. I did, however, like his line where he asked "Strength as my weakness? Explain to me this--how can strength be my weakness?" That line was amusing.

I just watched it in late December--I always see movies once they hit home distribution. I think I may go see the new Creed when it gets to theaters, though. I did see the second Jurassic World at the theater, which I liked.
Noremon liked this
Sav C wrote: January 4th, 2019, 1:20 pm Oh. Yeah, I just saw her in the new Jumanji movie, and heard that she was in Doctor Who, so I was just curious. The new Jumanji movie was really good, I thought. It was fresh, and funny. The chemistry between the four leads was really good. Has anyone seen it yet?
Yes. I liked it. Favourite part was cake weakness pay off the first time.
Sav C, Noremon liked this
Sav C wrote: January 4th, 2019, 1:20 pm Oh. Yeah, I just saw her in the new Jumanji movie, and heard that she was in Doctor Who, so I was just curious. The new Jumanji movie was really good, I thought. It was fresh, and funny. The chemistry between the four leads was really good. Has anyone seen it yet?
I loved the reboot of Jumanji. I was worried it wouldn't live up to the hype some of my peeps were giving it, but it was very satisfactory. I watched it when I was away on a Museums Studies course, staying at a dingy AirBnB (I'll never stay there again!). I'd brought it with my laptop hoping I'd have plenty of free time to watch (I arrived a day early and left a day after the course). I ended-up being far too sick to watch or do much but did hunker down and watch it. I'm so glad I brought it!
Sav C, Kingpin liked this
Kingpin wrote: December 27th, 2018, 11:52 am The first full series (minus the special on New Year's Day) has now wrapped up, and responses have been generally favourable. Jodie is a good Doctor, and although it wasn't a stand-out series, there were a number of good stories in the run... With even the poorest ones still proving generally a better standard than some of the episodes from 2011-2017.

As for the insight the character development has given... I'm happy to say some people who were initially opposed to the character development have been won around by Jodie's personification.

Sadly, some fans remain resolutely opposed, with a grotesque level of misogyny revealing itself as the basis of the opposition from some fans.
My biggest issue with the new series has been the story for every episode. They've been disappointing. The Ultimate assassins turn out to be no longer assassins. There's a blind girl in the woods and she's frightened by a monster. By the end of it the Doctor is talking to a frog. There's these new Robots and are attacking people, and it turns out to be a disgruntled post office worker with explosive bubble wrap. And so on and so on. Granted the previous seasons had episodes that stank but not the whole season. Now it looks like it's going to be 2020 before we see the new season.
https://www.vulture.com/2019/03/captain ... klash.html

"Captain Marvel is a movie you want to say nice things about because the worst people on the internet are against it, but that also feels slightly false because it’s just okay. As Thrillist’s Emma Stefansky put it, “we got ghostbustered y’all.”

"Though they’re coming at the controversy from opposite ends, the trolls and Disney’s marketing department are both united in pushing the message that Captain Marvel is feminism incarnate. We don’t need to do that work for them."
Reading back through this thread and all I can think is 'Thank God the sexists lost and Series 11 was a huge success'. Because those Facebook comments posted at the very beginning were disgusting, and it means that those kind of people have no comeback on social media anymore when they try to use their own agendas to deny the Series 11 success story.
SSJmole liked this
There were a good few enjoyable episodes, but I'm not fully sure I'd say it was the kind of success Tennant's first series was. Unfortunately the Christmas Special "Resolution" was absolutely terrible, which saddened me greatly given it was Jodie's first encounter with the Daleks.
Kingpin wrote: June 11th, 2019, 6:53 pm There were a good few enjoyable episodes, but I'm not fully sure I'd say it was the kind of success Tennant's first series was. Unfortunately the Christmas Special "Resolution" was absolutely terrible, which saddened me greatly given it was Jodie's first encounter with the Daleks.
Are you kidding? Resolution was one of the greatest Dalek stories of all time. It's up there with 2005's 'Dalek' for me.
Slimered wrote: June 12th, 2019, 4:25 pmAre you kidding? Resolution was one of the greatest Dalek stories of all time. It's up there with 2005's 'Dalek' for me.
I'm dead serious. A Dalek cut into three bits not being dead and having the ability to teleport and put itself back together from three different parts of the globe? Able to construct a shell with weapons from the contents of a scrap yard? And use that DIY shell to completely wipe the floor with the army, but is sufficiently damaged by a fancy microwave?

The greatest Dalek stories will always be:
Remembrance of the Daleks
Genesis of the Daleks
and Dalek.

Resolution is the poorest written and executed Dalek story I believe I've ever seen. I hate to say this, but the Peter Cushing "Dr. Who" movies were better Dalek stories compared to it.
Kingpin wrote: June 13th, 2019, 1:52 am
Slimered wrote: June 12th, 2019, 4:25 pmAre you kidding? Resolution was one of the greatest Dalek stories of all time. It's up there with 2005's 'Dalek' for me.
I'm dead serious. A Dalek cut into three bits not being dead and having the ability to teleport and put itself back together from three different parts of the globe? Able to construct a shell with weapons from the contents of a scrap yard? And use that DIY shell to completely wipe the floor with the army, but is sufficiently damaged by a fancy microwave?

The greatest Dalek stories will always be:
Remembrance of the Daleks
Genesis of the Daleks
and Dalek.

Resolution is the poorest written and executed Dalek story I believe I've ever seen. I hate to say this, but the Peter Cushing "Dr. Who" movies were better Dalek stories compared to it.
I'm never going to say it's better than the three Dalek stories you listed, but I absolutely believe it's on par with 2005's Dalek. It did a very similar thing in showing how one Dalek on its own is dangerous and doesn't need a whole army to become a major threat.

The stuff with the Kaled mutant possessing Lin, and later Aaron Sinclair, was very creepy, and that car chase was one of the best action sequences in the new series.

As for your flaws, I don't see them that way. Point one, it's a Dalek. One of the most advanced species in the Whoniverse and a species who previously fought a Time War with the Doctor's own race. For a species who waged war in time, it makes perfect sense that through the archaeologists reactivating one of the pieces they found it would be able to piece itself back together in that way.

The second point - well, the Doctor managed to make a Sonic Screwdriver using only Sheffield steel. The Dalek just made itself a shell and used weapons that were already at the location. If we can accept the former, then we can also the latter.

The third point: it was only The Dalek travel machine that was destroyed by the microwave. They made a point of showing the Kaled mutant itself survived, and it took a whole supernova (nearly claiming Ryan's Dad in the process) for it to finally be defeated.

Chibnall went to great lengths to show that one Dalek is virtually unstoppable, and I don't see what more anybody could have possibly expected of him.

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]