Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
Sav C wrote:It seems Richard Nixon did, but don't quote me on that.
Ding Ding!

"These problems will not stand still for politics or for partisanship. They demand to be met now. By meeting them now, we can make 1972 the best year ever for environmental progress. The time has come to make his peace with nature. Let us renew our commitment. Let us redouble our effort. The quality of our life on this good land is a cause to unite all Americans."--President Richard Nixon

Nixon opens Expo '74, the first environmentally themed world's fair.

In other words, not some celebrity liberal. ;)

Although, I'm mainly just distracted by how uncanny Aykroyd's SNL impression of him was :shock:https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... 8109?snl=1
Sav C liked this
featofstrength wrote:Makes sense...considering the time.
One of my favorite facebook pages is "Dirty old 70s New York."
https://www.facebook.com/pg/DirtyOld1970sNYC
::GASP:: OMG, I love that, thank you!
Is that supposed to be a shock to anyone?
Eh it probably would be to a certain 45th guy.
Sav C liked this
The nostalgia for old, dirty New York will probably always amuse me, as it often feels over romanticised. There were some better things about that era compared to now, but all things considered, I'll take cleaned-up Manhattan, where I felt safe, over dirty, almost bankrupt Manhattan.
JurorNo.2 liked this
Sav C wrote:At the risk of sounding ignorant, I think it's because the feeling to it is unique. I'm nostalgic for it, and I was never even there at that time.
Most of South Chicago is like stepping into the 70s.
Or maybe East St. Louis?
Book your vacations now!
Sav C, JurorNo.2 liked this
Kingpin wrote:The nostalgia for old, dirty New York will probably always amuse me, as it often feels over romanticised. There were some better things about that era compared to now, but all things considered, I'll take cleaned-up Manhattan, where I felt safe, over dirty, almost bankrupt Manhattan.
Lol, you're absolutely right, it's just that I'm like Patty, I've always loved learning anything about old New York.

Funny Ghostbusters related story, GBII was a big reason I was fascinated with NYC as a kid. One time in grammar school this mean girl was complaining that NYC was all dirty and polluted. I tried to defend NYC, and it basically ended up being a very bad paraphrasing of Ray's speech toward the end, lol. Later my Mom warned me that I was romanticizing too much, lol.
Sav C, Alphagaia liked this
HunterCC wrote:Yeah, Alph, you literally said that I had said "just" "the same thing" in the 4 posts. Which I proved was a falsehood on your part in a following post. I covered several topics total with you and other people in those posts, and for example the new info on disc sales. Now you just said something untrue about your own earlier post. Why do you keep denying stuff we can all see?
Look, I already tried to explain my reasoning and it seems you are calling me a liar and think you know better what I meant then myself. In the 4 posts and the ones before that you decided to call back to many other discussions we previously had about the interpretation of the reviews, the sales, numbers, medians etc. I pointed those out before and that's why I stated your 4 posts are reruns of older arguments and I am tired of those. You claim you have provided solid proof of your statements, I have done the same and we simply have a different point of view.
Should it be better to say your posts contain reruns? Sure, I'll grant you that. I could have used better wording. Does not make what I meant is not true and I'm just unwilling to rehash all those points once again when my opponent decides to block me when we enter a stalemate.
HunterCC wrote:You say you don't feel the need to respond to it, yet you keep making fallacious arguments about it. Alph, just a tip, saying or doing something, and then denying you did it, does not mean you didn't do it.

And the hostility is all yours, Alph. From your "downer" and "fanboy" insults, to literal falsehoods you have made about my posts and yours.
I'm not arguing the old points, I'm arguing why I do not want to adress them again. So you are giving the wrong tip.
There is subtle difference. I understand this will come as hostile to you, but let's face it: you aint exactly the calmest debater yourself when we lock horns.
Giving me a (imo) passive aggresive tip when you just said before the hostilty is all mine feels very contradictory. Especially when I point out we are moving in circles with people just bringing a thread down. I see others like Kingpin and Juror thinking the exact same thing: tired of the same discussions and the negativity. So it cannot be all me just attacking you.

You asked what my kid had to do with the 'WINS BIG' title, I explained I simply copy pasted an article as I only had one hand and my phone available when I made a new thread in my escitement for the news. You say I did this while knowing the award show is 'rigged', but this was pointed out to me in the thread, not beforehand. So that's really all it was. A post made quick and in excitement. And the name is true. 3 wins is big. Like it or not.

I do know consider the rigging a possibility, as said before, but as we simply do not know the exact procedings, I don't consider it a solid fact the kids votes did nothing to sway the vote either way.

Which is why I extended a hand and call for peace to just let the old discussions be: we just see thing different, we tried convincing each other for months and failed, and don't think it will change. If you think you can bring something new to the table, I'm open for it though!
By Sav C
JurorNo.2 wrote:Funny Ghostbusters related story, GBII was a big reason I was fascinated with NYC as a kid. One time in grammar school this mean girl was complaining that NYC was all dirty and polluted. I tried to defend NYC, and it basically ended up being a very bad paraphrasing of Ray's speech toward the end, lol. Later my Mom warned me that I was romanticizing too much, lol.
It's that sort of love for the city that's helped to make it such a nice place again (although not great again, it's always been great).

By the way, what does Ray mean when he says "burned-out berg"? And by that I mean, what's a berg?
JurorNo.2 liked this
Sav C wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:Funny Ghostbusters related story, GBII was a big reason I was fascinated with NYC as a kid. One time in grammar school this mean girl was complaining that NYC was all dirty and polluted. I tried to defend NYC, and it basically ended up being a very bad paraphrasing of Ray's speech toward the end, lol. Later my Mom warned me that I was romanticizing too much, lol.
It's that sort of love for the city that's helped to make it such a nice place again (although not great again, it's always been great).
Aw, yeah I think that's very true.
By the way, what does Ray mean when he says "burned-out berg"? And by that I mean, what's a berg?
Ohhh well berg is sometimes used as slang for a city.
Sav C liked this
Feel how you will about the new president, Bow Wow made some uncalled for comments about the first lady. A few days old story however i've noticed something very interesting.

The cast, director, and crew are nowhere to be seen condemning the comments that Bow Wow wanted to pimp out Melania Trump. The tweet since then has been deleted. I believe Bow Wow's twitter is still active .

Since the movie was announced this community has and rightly so stepped up to condemn such attacks against the cast of ATC and derogatory statements about women in general. I think it would be nice to see the cast of ATC set aside their political belief's and defend the first lady. With Paul complaining about the president every five minutes on twitter i'm not holding my breath.
timeware wrote:Since the movie was announced this community has and rightly so stepped up to condemn such attacks against the cast of ATC and derogatory statements about women in general.
You did timeware and I appreciate that. By community you mean just this board? Hmm. Yeah in general people condemned the hacking, but you still saw a lot of comments blaming Jones, unfortunately. And I can't say I saw any great campaign from the fanbase in general to say "We may have problems with the movie but we support the cast!" It was more like "It's a crappy movie but I don't blame the cast." Not the same thing. And then still so many bizarre rants about feminism taking over the world. Stepping up isn't the phrase I would use. And I'm not singling out men, btw. Even a couple women I know complained about "women being shoved down their throats." Pretty sure they watch Hannity a lot, lol.
I think it would be nice to see the cast of ATC set aside their political belief's and defend the first lady. With Paul complaining about the president every five minutes on twitter i'm not holding my breath.
Here's out it works: A conservative first lady gets attacked, liberals turn a blind eye. A liberal first lady gets attacked, conservatives turn a blind eye. It would be nice for anyone to set aside their political beliefs of course, but neither side is very good at that. About the only thing they have in common, lol.
timeware wrote:Personally I liked Nemesis. I do however agree with you on Godzilla being a steaming pile of shit. The robot chicken version was a thousand times better.
Nemesis was terrible. The 1998 Godzilla film was fun if a little moronic like Roland Emmerich's other movies.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Nemesis helped to kill a franchise, it's a big reason we have the reboots now. I will not stand by while Nemesis is defended over ATC, lol.
Both films are of the same quality.
SpaceBallz wrote:I'm still in shock that juror hasn't watching Stranger Things yet...wtf
I haven't watched it. I'm wary of shows trying to cash in on nostalgia of a decade. Super 8 did nothing for me.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Geeks need to realize they aren't the only generation that matters, in regards to both the past and the future.
It might have something to do with the fact that earlier decades are raided of ideas. Personally I'm sure people who grew up in the 70s and 60s are vocal about films from their era being remade.
featofstrength wrote:At least until they remake Groundhog Day, right? With Kristen Wiig and Jon Hamm?
I mean, the original wasn't all that great anyway, so... :P
Knowing Hollywood today they'd probably gender swap the roles. You can quote me one day if they do this. :lol:
ghostJAR wrote:They even made it into a video game.
But was it a remake called 'Groundhog Day'? No? Then it wasn't remade was it. :wink:
Alphagaia wrote:Also, while I loved the remake of Little Shop of Horrors, I would not mind watching a different take on it in this day and age!
I'm sorry to say this Alpha but it's people like you that are making Hollywood do countless remakes and not enough original films.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Oi, honey, not everything is exclusively about the GBoot. Modern day geeks in general have always had this blind spot and it has always bugged the hell out of me. The '80s are the ultimate sacred decade, how dare anyone touch it. They have no idea movies existed before they were born, nevermind remakes. No idea that previous generations didn't always appreciate their movies being remade in the 80s. And by and large, modern day geeks don't care to learn.
Let's be honest Juror, they haven't been very many remakes that have been better than the originals have there? It's nothing about the decade you were born, it's about the competency of modern Hollywood to make a decent remake. I remember Gene Siskel reviewing Return to Oz and seeing it like a remake of the 1930s original. Unlike Gene I like the sequel but his argument with remakes is sound. Why would you remake a good film? Remake the bad ones. It's good advice Hollywood doesn't pay attention to.
JurorNo.2 wrote:I said from the beginning, this is what the detractors were truly worried about -- that the new generation would enjoy this movie. Well guys, the franchises survived fans embracing GBII (myself included), it will survive fans embracing ATC. :)
Kids love the Michael Bay Transformers movies so that makes them okay right? :-|
JurorNo.2 wrote:I didn't miss out on the 80s experience, and I liked Good Burger. Heck, even my Dad liked Good Burger, lol. :)
JurorNo.2 wrote:One of the more popular sketches was about a burger joint (called Good Burger, naturally!), and it was later made into a full length movie. It's a harmless silly comedy (just the type jaded fanboys love to attack, naturally).
There's no accounting for taste (no pun intended). The film was totally unfunny but I'm not surprised you enjoyed it as the humour of ATC is on the same level of quality. I suppose there's an audience for Good Burger, ATC and Paris Hilton comedies...
ghostJAR wrote:You are just a bundle of joy, ain't ya?
And we wouldn't have him any other way. :mrgreen:
JurorNo.2 wrote:Same reason they hate ATC. They think the environment is some evil agenda being forced down their throats. ;)
Well yeah I thought that was obvious considering the people behind the movie, a no brainer really.
HunterCC wrote:The attention it brought GB is great, but the movie itself stunk.
Hey, it could have been worse...I guess. :oops:
pferreira1983 wrote:I'm sorry to say this Alpha but it's people like you that are making Hollywood do countless remakes and not enough original films.
No, that would be Star Wars fans. And Batman fans. And X-Men fans. And Spiderman fans. And now Power Rangers fans. Etc. Etc. Etc. Thankfully Trekkies are finally saying "Enough!" Lol.

ATC did something original. That is why it got attacked. Period.
Let's be honest Juror, they haven't been very many remakes that have been better than the originals have there?
Some have been better, some have not. And they're not made to be "better." This idea of competition only exists in fandom's minds, not the studios.
It's nothing about the decade you were born, it's about the competency of modern Hollywood to make a decent remake.
Wait a minute, first you make a sweeping statement that remakes are generally not better. Then suddenly your beef is about modern Hollywood. Which is it, are remakes in general bad or are current remakes bad?
I remember Gene Siskel reviewing Return to Oz and seeing it like a remake of the 1930s original. Unlike Gene I like the sequel but his argument with remakes is sound.
Wizard of Oz (1939) was a remake from an earlier silent film. Heck, it made radical changes to a classic book! Making it all a dream, that's not in the book (though I actually prefer the dream bit to the book). Adding a lot of modern Vaudeville humor. If you were around in the 30s, you'd be complaining about that. And then it was remade as The Wiz, which a lot of people love. It's really not that big a deal.
Why would you remake a good film?
In order to get a new generation interested. Which they already did, btw, with RGB and GBII. Amazing what short and selective memories fandoms have.
Remake the bad ones. It's good advice Hollywood doesn't pay attention to.
They would do that if they thought it was profitable. But if the brand is already known for being bad, it's hard to turn that around for general audiences.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Kids love the Michael Bay Transformers movies
And the franchise has weathered that too.
There's no accounting for taste (no pun intended). The film was totally unfunny but I'm not surprised you enjoyed it as the humour of ATC is on the same level of quality. I suppose there's an audience for Good Burger, ATC and Paris Hilton comedies...
You just said far more about yourself than me. None of it flattering. ;)
And we wouldn't have him any other way. :mrgreen:
At the rate this board is going, "we" may end up being just you and him, lol. I hope you're very happy together.
By Sav C
pferreira1983 wrote:Super 8 did nothing for me.
I remember thinking that it was pretty good.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Wizard of Oz (1939) was a remake from an earlier silent film. Heck, it made radical changes to a classic book! Making it all a dream, that's not in the book (though I actually prefer the dream bit to the book).
Learn something new everyday!
By Kingpin
pferreira1983 wrote:The 1998 Godzilla film was fun if a little moronic like Roland Emmerich's other movies.
pferreira1983 wrote:]I'm sorry to say this Alpha but it's people like you that are making Hollywood do countless remakes and not enough original films.
It's not Alpha, it's the studios being less willing to take a punt on something that's unknown.

A remake with a different slant isn't immediately an evil thing that needs to be shunned. I love Jumanji but I also enjoy Zathura. The same basic premise, but with a different spin (also see Battle Beyond the Stars/Magnificent Seven/Seven Samurai can sometimes be enjoyable and be able to stand on its own feet.
By HunterCC
Alphagaia wrote:
HunterCC wrote:Yeah, Alph, you literally said that I had said "just" "the same thing" in the 4 posts. Which I proved was a falsehood on your part in a following post. I covered several topics total with you and other people in those posts, and for example the new info on disc sales. Now you just said something untrue about your own earlier post. Why do you keep denying stuff we can all see?
Look, I already tried to explain my reasoning and it seems you are calling me a liar and think you know better what I meant then myself. In the 4 posts and the ones before that you decided to call back to many other discussions we previously had about the interpretation of the reviews, the sales, numbers, medians etc. I pointed those out before and that's why I stated your 4 posts are reruns of older arguments and I am tired of those. You claim you have provided solid proof of your statements, I have done the same and we simply have a different point of view.
Should it be better to say your posts contain reruns? Sure, I'll grant you that. I could have used better wording. Does not make what I meant is not true and I'm just unwilling to rehash all those points once again when my opponent decides to block me when we enter a stalemate.
Alph, your "reasoning" is to try dismissing my posts by mischaracterizing them to the point of lying. I talked to Commander Jim, Juror, and you about new topics, and you tried dismissing it as "4 posts to just repeat the same thing all over again" Call it dishonest debating, or straw-manning, or other tactics. But you straight up lied then, to try dismissing the points I was making. It is what it is, I'm just pointing that out.

And now you're calling those posts in question "reruns", lol. Again, the first post with Commander Jim about said awards wasn't a "rerun" of an old argument. Neither were the other posts.

But as long as you want to talk about that old movie back in 2016, then the box office numbers, the low audience ratings, the controversy (which Sony created), all the divisiveness and negativity from the movie, and now the lack of merch numbers for GB16, and the disc sales, are fair game, aren't they? :). For example: As long as we discuss GB16s popularity, and lack thereof, this avalanche of evidence invalidates "awards" like Nickelodeon's producers gave out.

Wait a minute, you say you provided "solid proof" of your statements (regarding reviews, the sales, numbers, medians) When? Quotes please. I've provided numbers in dollars, votes, and made pretty good logical arguments based on the above. What solid proof have you put forward?
Alphagaia wrote:
HunterCC wrote:You say you don't feel the need to respond to it, yet you keep making fallacious arguments about it. Alph, just a tip, saying or doing something, and then denying you did it, does not mean you didn't do it.

And the hostility is all yours, Alph. From your "downer" and "fanboy" insults, to literal falsehoods you have made about my posts and yours.
I'm not arguing the old points, I'm arguing why I do not want to adress them again. So you are giving the wrong tip.
There is subtle difference. I understand this will come as hostile to you, but let's face it: you aint exactly the calmest debater yourself when we lock horns.
Giving me a (imo) passive aggresive tip when you just said before the hostilty is all mine feels very contradictory. Especially when I point out we are moving in circles with people just bringing a thread down. I see others like Kingpin and Juror thinking the exact same thing: tired of the same discussions and the negativity. So it cannot be all me just attacking you.

You asked what my kid had to do with the 'WINS BIG' title, I explained I simply copy pasted an article as I only had one hand and my phone available when I made a new thread in my escitement for the news. You say I did this while knowing the award show is 'rigged', but this was pointed out to me in the thread, not beforehand. So that's really all it was. A post made quick and in excitement. And the name is true. 3 wins is big. Like it or not.

I do know consider the rigging a possibility, as said before, but as we simply do not know the exact procedings, I don't consider it a solid fact the kids votes did nothing to sway the vote either way.

Which is why I extended a hand and call for peace to just let the old discussions be: we just see thing different, we tried convincing each other for months and failed, and don't think it will change. If you think you can bring something new to the table, I'm open for it though!
Alph, you know my tip was about your lying about my posts, then denying it. (see above). Not your continued intransigence about the public reception to GB16.

And then you say I "aint exactly the calmest debater yourself when we lock horns." What evidence do you have to say that, Alph? And calling my tip "passive aggressive", thought I was being pretty darn direct there, lol. But comments like yours are what bring down threads.

In reference to talking about your kid during this discussion, if you're saying that your OP was made in too much haste, before you got relevant info, because you were busy, then fine. But no, the title isn't true. Winning an award called "kids choice" when kids don't ultimately decide the winner, isn't "big" in a positive sense.

Alph, you say the rigging is a "possibility"? Please look back at Commander Jim's post, as to who ultimately chose the awards. Just so you know what you are talking about in that case. Here's another good link. http://kca.nick.tv/info/info-promo-voting-rules/s1ws9a. In answer to your questioning the kid voters did nothing to sway the vote, here's a relevant quote: "Nickelodeon International reserves the right to select the winners at its discretion and may take into consideration the number of votes received by a nominee up until the time of the interruption or cancelation of the voting process." Not much sway there, is it?

Alph, you haven't extended any "hand of peace". That phrase would include admitting your bad behavior or at least stop doing it. Either way, I consider that matter settled.

LOL, I did introduce new things to the table, stuff that you and I hadn't talked about before. The merch sales for Disney in billions, while continued silence on GB16 merch. You glossed that over as "comparing big numbers to big numbers", which is funny since my point is that it's actually a case of big numbers vs. no numbers. And the link to disc sales, which you've had no substantive response to. You just said you are open to new stuff, so prove it and address those points. :)
Kingpin wrote:Guys, take it to the PM system if you want to continue this, the topic's off course enough already.
This is probably best. The biggest problem at the moment seems we interpret each other words in the worst possible way as if constructed to inflict the most character assisnation. Let's see if we can find some common ground, especially regarding the old arguments, as so far it's anything but clearing the air.
Kingpin wrote:
pferreira1983 wrote:The 1998 Godzilla film was fun if a little moronic like Roland Emmerich's other movies.
pferreira1983 wrote:]I'm sorry to say this Alpha but it's people like you that are making Hollywood do countless remakes and not enough original films.
It's not Alpha, it's the studios being less willing to take a punt on something that's unknown.

A remake with a different slant isn't immediately an evil thing that needs to be shunned. I love Jumanji but I also enjoy Zathura. The same basic premise, but with a different spin (also see Battle Beyond the Stars/Magnificent Seven/Seven Samurai can sometimes be enjoyable and be able to stand on its own feet.
Also, did you not like remakes like Little Shop, The Thing, Let me in, True Grit, the Departed or Casino Royale? I personally loved those, and I know I'm not alone in this.
Just because it's a new spin on a known story does not mean it cannot suprise, reinvent and/or just be amusing. Looking at them movies I mentioned above, even In this day and age a remake can add something new or be very enjoyable, but it's not for everyone if you are not open to it.
A lot of people watch their favorite movies multiple times, remakes can be fun adventures in 'the familiar yet different' experience for those people. It's not for everyone ofcourse, but no one is saying you can't just keep watching the original. Or just enjoy both!

And as long as original movies like LaLa Land and Arrival (I also have a soft spot for Interstellar) keep happening, I'm not having any problems with remakes.
By Sav C
If we want to stop debating the controversy over and over again, we have to do our best to refrain from engaging in it. I think it's safe to say we all know where each other stands on the reboot, so there's no need to continue repeating the same arguments. Neither of us are going to change each other's minds, not at this point. Let's just talk about the aspects of the reboot that we want to, and ignore the rest.

No offence to anybody of course.
Kingpin wrote:the topic's off course enough already.
And in case anyone forgot the topic: Ghostbusters (2016) won three Kids Choice Awards, including Favorite Movie. :mrgreen:
Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
If it gets some more kids and parents to watch the movie then win-win.

I do make an effort to watch all the movies that get nominate for The Oscars. Most of them I would not have seen if they were not nominated.
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Kingpin wrote:the topic's off course enough already.
And in case anyone forgot the topic: Ghostbusters (2016) won three Kids Choice Awards, including Favorite Movie. :mrgreen:
JurorNo.2, Alphagaia liked this
We actually should let kids write more movies:

This is hilarious.

Edit: Also, I need more sleep...
Using spoiler tags instead of YouTube tags... Fixed!

Edit 2: the cold custard comes very close to home. During her youth, my wife always thought Ray Parker Jr. sang Koos Buster. (Koos is a very generic Dutch surname]
JurorNo.2 liked this
Styrofoam_Guy wrote:If it gets some more kids and parents to watch the movie then win-win.

I do make an effort to watch all the movies that get nominate for The Oscars. Most of them I would not have seen if they were not nominated.
How was "Moonlight?"

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]