Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By Alphagaia
Hairy Biker wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:I hear that a lot. I personally never had a problem with them killing a ghost as the OGB Stay Puft by blowing him up as well.
Before that they think they killed Gozer by believing the streams caused a full protonic reversal, so it's not really something that's 'out of character'.
I agree catching it is what we have seen the OGB do the most ofcourse, unless you count the videogame, and I hope their next story focusses more on that aspect as well, as it seems the most reliable way of holding (and study) a ghost (as the comics explain destroying a ghost only temporarely disables it, except for Stay Puft probably.)
There is no next story, Feig said in Novemeber there will be no sequel with this team due to the low finacial returns. Ivan Reitman also confirmed this. There's not going to be a sequel to GB2016.
The comic is already a next story? Who says it will be the last?
Also, I missed Ivan and Feig confirming this or anyone flat out saying there won't be new stories (sequels, comics, cartoons whatever) ever. Do you have a link?
By Hairy Biker
Alphagaia wrote:
Hairy Biker wrote:
There is no next story, Feig said in Novemeber there will be no sequel with this team due to the low finacial returns. Ivan Reitman also confirmed this. There's not going to be a sequel to GB2016.
The comic is already a next story? Who says it will be the last?
Also, I missed Ivan and Feig confirming this or anyone flat out saying there won't be new stories (sequels, comics, cartoons whatever) ever. Do you have a link?
http://www.universityherald.com/article ... usters.htm

http://www.slashfilm.com/future-ghostbusters-movies/
pferreira1983 liked this
By Alphagaia
Hmm, I followed those links, but Paul Feig only said he had to think about and he would be surprised if they asked him back. Your link says it's because of money, but they quote Feig from Den of geek interview where he says something else.

Ivan says from your link, with the reporter thinking aloud:
There’s going to be many other Ghostbusters movies, they’re just in development right now.

Does that mean the possibility of a sequel to this year’s reboot could possibly still be in the cards? If it’s possible, you can expect a much lower budget for the sequel this time around, which could benefit the movie. Feig’s Ghostbusters felt like it was trying too hard to be a blockbuster tentpole in its third act, abandoning what worked fairly well in the first half of the movie.
So, while I don't think a sequel movie is very likely, it's not out of the question as you make it out to be. We could hear more from the ATCcrew, especially as they said it did well in America and not overseas thx to the information in your link.

The new comic already proofs they are not dismissing them entirely.
Sav C liked this
By pferreira1983
Astyanax wrote:This idea that you can point a gun and blast a ghost to ectoplasm turned what used to be a thoughtful consideration of the science of trapping, containment, environmental concerns, etc. into a shoot-em-up romp in the third act. Suddenly we have shotguns, miniguns, cannons, etc., because all you really need to win the day is a big enough gun. This is wrong on so many levels, completely brainless and stupid, and ruins the whole movie for me.
Yeah that's a problem I had with the movie. Kind of defeats the purpose of trapping ghosts if they're vaporising them with power gloves. While the original Ghostbusters I wouldn't argue is scientifically accurate it had some basis in science. The new movie just made up a ton of stuff regardless of whether it made sense.
By Alphagaia
But what about protonic reversals and the Stay Puft just blowing up?
By Hairy Biker
With a lower budget it'll rule out Fieg, McCarthy and Wiig.

Bottom line is there will never be a sequal to the remake. It burnt too many bridges. And I bet after the IDW one shot it'll be the last time we see them.
Ghost Corps will move in a different direction. Fieg won't be asked back. Reitman will gain more control and we'll likely see another film that links to the original films. The remake was a failure dispite if you like it or not (which is not the discussion here.) It lost money. That's all there is to it. Their story has been told.
By Alphagaia
I see you are really focusing on a movie sequel when I'm just looking for more stories.

If GhostCorps thought ATC is a lost cause they would not ask IDW to create an interconnecting story with them.

While I agree a direct sequel is unlikely, the links you provided do not flat out dismiss them and GC at least willing to add more stories via the new comic so your conclusion is not aligned with GC point of view at least.

Though it might bebetter to continue this conversation in the sequel thread.
Sav C, JurorNo.2 liked this
By Sav C
Alphagaia wrote:Ivan says from your link, with the reporter thinking aloud:
If it’s possible, you can expect a much lower budget for the sequel this time around, which could benefit the movie.
I was thinking this the other day. With a smaller budget they would have to rely more on suspense and other film making techniques that use less money. Perhaps the film would be better made because of it. Not that it wasn't well made, it's just that I feel larger budgets in general have a tendency to encourage spectacle over craft.
Alphagaia, JurorNo.2 liked this
By JurorNo.2
Hairy Biker wrote:Reitman will gain more control and we'll likely see another film that links to the original films.
They really need to do that soon if they plan to do it at all. Force Awakens should have been done years ago for instance. And I don't want another Star Trek Beyond that goes completely against a 50 year legacy, and then tries to make it all better with a photo at the end.

And frankly I don't trust much of the GB fanbase to embrace a sequel at this point unless it's up to their "high" standards.
By pferreira1983
Alphagaia wrote:But what about protonic reversals and the Stay Puft just blowing up?
I can kind of except that since blowing him up was the result of a massive power build up directed back at him. Like I said the science in the first two movies wasn't perfect hence the fantasy element but it made more logical sense than the reboot.
JurorNo.2 wrote:They really need to do that soon if they plan to do it at all. Force Awakens should have been done years ago for instance.
I would have been okay had they not done that movie at all. :mrgreen:
By HunterCC
GB16: Lame dialogue, yes Kevin was incredibly stupid but not much stupider than the GB16 team. Nobody would talk the way they do or make such stupid decisions IRL. When everyone tries to be the funnyman, and still take themselves seriously, nobody is the funnyman. And the pixels movie special effects ruined what could have been dramatic and scary parts of the movie.

I see why the movie flopped. It's not as bad as say Battlefield Earth. Undecided about being as bad as Batman and Robin or Pixels. GB16 just isn't worth seeing.
By Astyanax
Alphagaia wrote:But what about protonic reversals and the Stay Puft just blowing up?
Yes, but those are supposed to be extreme cases, not "let's load up with guns and blast everyone to hell..."

But lemme take this on in context:

1. Protonic reversal is mentioned by Ray as a random thought, not as a fact that took place. In fact, he was wrong when he mentioned it, because Gozer was not destroyed. Therefore, total protonic reversal is still theory.

2. Stay-Puft is a construct, the embodiment of Gozer in its "Destructor" form. Perhaps coated in ectoplasm to the shape of a marshmallow man, but that is not Gozer's actual form. Gozer was sucked back into its universe when the streams were crossed, not destroyed by proton energy.
One time, HunterCC, SpaceBallz and 1 others liked this
By HunterCC
Astyanax wrote:
Yes, but those are supposed to be extreme cases, not "let's load up with guns and blast everyone to hell..."

1. Protonic reversal is mentioned by Ray as a random thought, not as a fact that took place. In fact, he was wrong when he mentioned it, because Gozer was not destroyed. Therefore, total protonic reversal is still theory.

2. Stay-Puft is a construct, the embodiment of Gozer in its "Destructor" form. Perhaps coated in ectoplasm to the shape of a marshmallow man, but that is not Gozer's actual form. Gozer was sucked back into its universe when the streams were crossed, not destroyed by proton energy.
Great points, Astyanax. It's also worth noting about Stay Puft, that being the embodiment of the destructor, he was powerful enough to fight off being restrained by the proton beams . Even while he was still burned by them as other objects were in the movie. And there was some other weird stuff going on, Gozer / stay puft throwing flames back up at the Ghostbusters when set on fire. (Obviously Gozer was too powerful for the Ghostbusters to take on directly).

And while Gozer was sucked back in the portal, the stay puft form was blasted by the explosion, which could've been a combination of normal blast , magical, and esoteric radiation from whatever crossing the streams did.

Meanwhile in GB16, proton beams go from restraining ghosts, to tearing them apart, to whatever needs to be done at the moment. Who needs consistency, even in the same fight scene at the end? LOL. That really ruined Holtzman's scene. Different devices and effects like the ghost chipper made sense, but it was clear of the characters the actors and writers had no clue what they were talking about during the fight scene , from the randomness of proton beams , to Melissa McCarthy calling a shovel-shot a slap-shot. ( that should've offended every hockey fan) The whole fight scene was a big basket of stupid.
Astyanax, Astyanax, One time and 2 others liked this
By JurorNo.2
HunterCC wrote:Meanwhile in GB16, proton beams go from restraining ghosts, to tearing them apart, to whatever needs to be done at the moment. Who needs consistency, even in the same fight scene at the end? LOL. That really ruined Holtzman's scene.
Depends on the type of fan you are. If you're into the gadgetry I can see where it would bother you. Other fans just like her general attitude and badassery and the soundtrack in that moment. Both types are fine, just want different things in their movie.
By Alphagaia
Astyanax wrote:

Hmm. How you describe Stay Puft is exactly how Abby and Erin describe how most ghosts manifest their shape according to their book. The GB are basically removing the ectoplasm with their secondary weapons and thus rendering the ghost harmless untill it can reform, just like how IDW handles it with the equipment of the Ghost Smashers and GB84.
HunterCC wrote: And while Gozer was sucked back in the portal, the stay puft form was blasted by the explosion, which could've been a combination of normal blast , magical, and esoteric radiation from whatever crossing the streams did.
Bottomline, a ghost can be blasted apart and removed from his ectoplasm form. It's details of details, and the new movie gives those details in the book. You could argue it should have been in the movie, but GB does not adress this as well. You don't even see Gozer being sucked into the portal.
All what is explained is: the door swings both ways, we could reverse the particle stream through the gate. By crossing the streams. Never is it said this sucks back Gozer and destroys his form, only what is hinted at that it will close the gate.
HunterCC wrote: Meanwhile in GB16, proton beams go from restraining ghosts, to tearing them apart, to whatever needs to be done at the moment.
This is not true. Any ripping of ghosts is done with their secondaries, not with the proton wands.
Last edited by Alphagaia on February 8th, 2017, 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
By HunterCC
JurorNo.2 wrote:
HunterCC wrote:Meanwhile in GB16, proton beams go from restraining ghosts, to tearing them apart, to whatever needs to be done at the moment. Who needs consistency, even in the same fight scene at the end? LOL. That really ruined Holtzman's scene.
Depends on the type of fan you are. If you're into the gadgetry I can see where it would bother you. Other fans just like her general attitude and badassery and the soundtrack in that moment. Both types are fine, just want different things in their movie.
Agreed. :cool:
JurorNo.2 liked this
By Alphagaia
I don't remember that one! Do you happen to know the name of the episode?
By MagicPrime
It was one of the still decent episodes after the Slimer! change-over.

Basically all the PKE from the 'destroyed' ghosts was collecting in the atmosphere and coalesced into a massive entity.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By JurorNo.2
HunterCC wrote:When everyone tries to be the funnyman
Hmm, I can think of a lot of fondly remembered 80s comedies where that was the case. I do think ATC harkens back to that more than fans are realizing; they're just seeing it out of context because it's not a movie they grew up with. That's why I do think ATC was meant for the newer fans who are currently growing up with it, without all the nostalgia baggage behind them.
By SpaceBallz
Alphagaia wrote: Hmm. How you describe Stay Puft is exactly how Abby and Erin describe how most ghosts manifest their shape according to their book. The GB are basically removing the ectoplasm with their secondary weapons and thus rendering the ghost harmless untill it can reform, just like how IDW handles it with the equipment of the Ghost Smashers and GB84.
I didn't see any "ghost reforming" happening, I seen bodies of dead ghosts (...) laying on the pavement. The ghost in the subway got splattered by a train but still kept its form.
pferreira1983 liked this
By Alphagaia
SpaceBallz wrote:
Alphagaia wrote: Hmm. How you describe Stay Puft is exactly how Abby and Erin describe how most ghosts manifest their shape according to their book. The GB are basically removing the ectoplasm with their secondary weapons and thus rendering the ghost harmless untill it can reform, just like how IDW handles it with the equipment of the Ghost Smashers and GB84.
I didn't see any "ghost reforming" happening, I seen bodies of dead ghosts (...) laying on the pavement. The ghost in the subway got splattered by a train but still kept its form.
Just like we did not see Gozer getting sucked back into the temple or Stay Puft having an ectoplasm body. It's a theory, but one that's at least explained in the book, and we have seen other examples of it in the other media, like the comic and cartoon.

You don't see them reforming because it takes an X amount of time.

Sparky lost a lot of ectoplasm, but so did Lady Eldridge when puking all over Erin, or when Mayhem flew through the ceiling. I think they can lose a lot before it takes a toll on their form. Both Eldridge and Sparky left after losing that much though, probably to regenerate.
By timeware
Astyanax wrote:S04E05: "Robo-Buster"

Technically on Slimer! and the Real Ghostbusters
This would have been a better plotline then Rowan. not robo buster but having two companies dealing with Ghost capture/extermination in two different ways leading up to one big mess in the end. After credit scene could have involved Walter Peck opening up the peacock building.
pferreira1983 liked this
By SpaceBallz
Alphagaia wrote: You don't see them reforming because it takes an X amount of time.
Oh, did this happen in the extended cut?
philmorgan81, Alphagaia liked this
By philmorgan81
SpaceBallz wrote:
Alphagaia wrote: You don't see them reforming because it takes an X amount of time.
Oh, did this happen in the extended cut?
No this was covered in the IDW comics. The big one that comes to mind is The TMNT Crossover when Peter blasts the Ghost with the Ghost Bazooka and he disapates into the atmosphere, but eventually reforms and attacks the firehouse. This is assuming that the rules are the same in THIS universe as the classic universe. It could very well be and for those that are giving Ghostbusters 101 a chance, we may get some answers to what happened to the Ghosts from the climax. I am speculating that the Proton Beams weakened the ionization on the ghosts so they couldn't hold their form. However there may be more to it. If you look at one of the panals here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomWaltz/sta ... 5051859969

It looks like Hotzman is still blowing Ghosts up with her equipment. It looks like she blows up that Ghost that got eaten by the Boogyman in the In The Box short story. I don't know if they are just having fun with their existing designs or if maybe Holtzman could be blowing these ghosts into another reality. So maybe we will get some answers or maybe it will just raise more questions. :):):)
Alphagaia liked this
By SpaceBallz
Sooooo if nobody had read the comic or the viral digital book then nobody would have known?
By Alphagaia
I think it's at least safe to say all the ghosts, regenerated or not, in the vicinity got sucked back into the portal, which is explained in the movie.
By philmorgan81
SpaceBallz wrote:Sooooo if nobody had read the comic or the viral digital book then nobody would have known?

Yeah if one wasn't' familiar with some of the lore established from the cartoon and comic they could get confused as to what is going on. :):):)
Alphagaia wrote:I think it's at least safe to say all the ghosts, regenerated or not, in the vicinity got sucked back into the portal, which is explained in the movie.
Yeah I am pretty sure even if they were not fully reformed their essence got sucked back into the portal. :):):)
By pferreira1983
HunterCC wrote:I see why the movie flopped. It's not as bad as say Battlefield Earth. Undecided about being as bad as Batman and Robin or Pixels. GB16 just isn't worth seeing.
I'd happily watch Batman and Robin again over Answer The Call.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Hmm, I can think of a lot of fondly remembered 80s comedies where that was the case. I do think ATC harkens back to that more than fans are realizing; they're just seeing it out of context because it's not a movie they grew up with. That's why I do think ATC was meant for the newer fans who are currently growing up with it, without all the nostalgia baggage behind them.
I don't remember jokes in 80s comedies dragging constantly.
SpaceBallz wrote:Sooooo if nobody had read the comic or the viral digital book then nobody would have known?
The point is if the filmmakers can't be bothered to explain the science properly in the movie why should we think it makes sense? I mean I'm seeing ghosts get shredded and chopped in half. What the hell?!
SpaceBallz liked this

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Good morning everyone! I have a local toy collect[…]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]