Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
So just had a good read though with the Journal we get via Haslab proton pack and interestingly enough, it does explain a lot of things.

1) After the events of the '84 Manhattan Crossrip, Peck launched a one man smear campaign against The Ghostbusters in order to turn New York against them with saying things like they (the Ghostbusters) are con artists and they used a bunch of helicopters to throw down 4 tons of marshmallow goo onto the streets. This eventually would lead to the lawsuits and suing of the Ghostbusters forcing them to go out of business in which Spengler mentions there was a parade followed by tons of litigations and lawsuits in the book.

2) After the Vigo incident, ghost sightings and calls died down with Janine eventually leaving to go do other work, Ray still working with his Occult book store, Venkman went back to do "World of the Psychic" until it was cancelled after five seasons due to declining viewership and Zeddemore opening his own firm as well as Louis Tully opening his own accounting firm "Tully & Tully brothers". This is where it gets extremely interesting as it foregoes the entire timeline of the video game (which y'all have said it did), and that by the end of 1991, around 1992 (not sure when since it's not documented, so guessing mortgage and eventually the firehouse does get sold to a coffee company who as compensation give the team one year of coffee (but they go the ghostbusters route of "three cups per week") and after Spengler and Stantz have an argument about Gozer coming back, Spengler has had enough, packs up everything inside the Ecto-1 as he can carry, steals the petty cash that's left but leaves all of the flightsuits that belong to Stantz, Venkman and Zeddemore as well as their packs and heads out to Summerville.

3) Spengler spends several months setting up the house as a fort whilst going up to the mining location and finds out that Shandor built in a failsafe in case anything happened in 1984 so Gozer could come back with Shandor inside the glass casket. This is around the time that the residents of Summerville start calling Spengler the "Dirt Farmer" which he embraces as he employs a "creepy old cook who believes in conspiracy stuff" gimmick, whilst hiding his stuff from the firehouse inside the location we end up seeing him direct Phoebe to as well as hiding the Ecto-1 in the garage. Spengler also notes that he was planning to make more inventions for the pack itself like an interchangeable wand that used the pink mood slime but add it to the pack itself (Sorta in a way referencing TVG's slime addon) but never got to start it due to Zuul killing him setting the events of Afterlife off.
Bison256 wrote: January 11th, 2023, 11:47 am It's neat. But the journal isn canon anymore than the video game is.
I’d like to see a source for that. As far as I know it was written by Ghost Corps. It’s unlikely they would release brand new info on an official product and it not be canon. When you read it there is an intentional vagueness that smells of it being made intentionally compatible with all canon at least. I’d actually say this is canon unless proven otherwise by some statement.
Kieron W liked this
One time wrote: January 11th, 2023, 2:09 pm
Bison256 wrote: January 11th, 2023, 11:47 am It's neat. But the journal isn canon anymore than the video game is.
I’d like to see a source for that. As far as I know it was written by Ghost Corps. It’s unlikely they would release brand new info on an official product and it not be canon. When you read it there is an intentional vagueness that smells of it being made intentionally compatible with all canon at least. I’d actually say this is canon unless proven otherwise by some statement.
In Haslab's 10/27/22 video, they talked with a Hasbro employee named Sam who wrote this journal. She mentioned she got some copies of Ramis's writing samples from Ghost Corps to help her get into an Egon mindset. I don't recall any mention of the journal being canon to the movies.
https://youtu.be/1-tJqD8UECc?t=2003

And Devi's advocate, you can argue why would a canon tie-in material not be a wide release to all? Instead it's an add-on to a crowd funded product that only a select number of people will own. If it was canon to the movies, wouldn't Hasbro and Sony be selling it to the general public?
One time wrote: January 12th, 2023, 7:29 am Still not convinced. This is an official Sony product on an official Sony Ghostbusters movie. I genuinely see no reason why it wouldn’t be. There is also nothing in there that contradicts anything.
It's promotional fluff. It's akin to stories/comics that come on the back action figure packaging. The video game, IDW comics and that weird early 2000s novel were official too. Where are they now?

With most franchises the only thing that is truely "canon" are the tv shows and movies. Sometimes not even that, see Halloween and Knight Rider as examples constant sequels and ignoring past sequels.
Considering I'm not getting that pack, I love the insight into what the journal says.

While I love the VG & IDW Verse (and will always hold everything else GB to it as it kept the torch going for longer than anything else) I understand the canonical concerns.

But I'm always happy to see new GB stuff in general.
Looking forward to firehouse.
Not looking forward to Dark Horse unless Erik B is writing it. He's the Claremont of GB comics at this point.
I think the discussion of what is supposed to be canon and what is not canon often comes down to this:

People who have seen some media and like it, tend to just accept it as part of the story. They really don't care whether it is officially "canon" or not. To them it is an actual existing (physical) creative work, that "fits" their belief or enjoyment of the story.

People who have not seen a certain media tend to more the kind of folks that deem things to "not be canon" and proclaim that.

I think there are more people who say "X isn't canon" than there are people saying "X is canon". Or the latter group tend not to care as much. If it's real, it works, and is entertaining, then that's enough for them. I've never heard of someone like something and then when hearing "that isn't canon" to then say oh well, guess I have to throw this away now and try to forget I ever saw or read it.

It's like saying this make believe part of this made up story that I like is less make believe than the make believe part you like.
DancingToaster liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: January 12th, 2023, 4:57 pm
joezlo wrote: January 12th, 2023, 7:54 am Not looking forward to Dark Horse unless Erik B is writing it. He's the Claremont of GB comics at this point.
Even if Reitman and Kenan are writing the comic?
I'm not a fan of that type of tie in comics. I'm sure he can do better than JJ Abrams (Star Trek countdown) but I don't have high hopes.
One time wrote: January 12th, 2023, 4:58 pm I think the discussion of what is supposed to be canon and what is not canon often comes down to this:

People who have seen some media and like it, tend to just accept it as part of the story. They really don't care whether it is officially "canon" or not. To them it is an actual existing (physical) creative work, that "fits" their belief or enjoyment of the story.

People who have not seen a certain media tend to more the kind of folks that deem things to "not be canon" and proclaim that.

I think there are more people who say "X isn't canon" than there are people saying "X is canon". Or the latter group tend not to care as much. If it's real, it works, and is entertaining, then that's enough for them. I've never heard of someone like something and then when hearing "that isn't canon" to then say oh well, guess I have to throw this away now and try to forget I ever saw or read it.

It's like saying this make believe part of this made up story that I like is less make believe than the make believe part you like.
You can have opinions on what is canon but it doesn't make it fact.

Canon is accepted as mass wide spread media.

Example: Boba Fett surviving the Sarlacc pit wasn't canon until Book of Boba Fett.
Just because it happened in a book doesn't make it canon because how many people read the book or know that fact from it.

Unless these elements from the Journal are explained in the next movie in someway fact is we cannot hold it as canon.
Its fun, its interesting and it certainly is great fan service, but at the end of the day its a story in a book that only a few thousand people will read.
I'm not saying you can't use it as your own mind canon, but as official canon, sadly, no.
mrmichaelt, WhoaFoogles liked this
If anyone's interested in the journal but doesn't want to/can't bid for it or buy a pack, Darren McQuade, "The Magic Ghostbuster," posted a YT video where I believe he shows photos of all 32 pages in sections (if anyone with the journal can confirm that is all 32 pages and I guess the photograph of them doing the handstack is in the inside back cover?).

It begins at the 2:07 mark.
https://youtu.be/BVLjNkESdio?t=127
gamera1968 liked this
The main group on Facebook (HasLab Proton Pack Modders) has a member who was kind enough to upload the entire journal itself for those who missed out.

The group itself: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1043282106485152

The link to the PDF:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... __W72tfcls
mrmichaelt, gamera1968 liked this
deadderek wrote: February 4th, 2023, 3:31 am The main group on Facebook (HasLab Proton Pack Modders) has a member who was kind enough to upload the entire journal itself for those who missed out.

The link to the PDF:
SO very glad that showed up before I bid on the journal and stickers on ebay.

I read about halfway so far. That was a great simple explanation that all the paranormal energy was diverting to the temple in Summerville, accounting for the decrease in activity in NY and the world.

EDIT: Oh! And 1 TVG nod!
deadderek, robbritton liked this
These add ons for many fandoms are nothing new. There's always the rule for most that if it didn't happen in a show or film that it isn't canon but things get ret coned so often now even from film to film and show to show that's not even a great ideology right now. I'm not even gonna get into Strange New Worlds from Sar Trek but I like the show.

Canon changes from studio choice to studio choice. The video game was canon when there was no GB3 and not likely to be, now its not so far as Sony cares. Is Spirits Unleashed? Is the Journal? All yes and no. They are at all times able to cut and slash what the studio considers official but we live in a world now where fans can tell a studio to stick it and make their own canon, Hell that's how most new stories for film and tv happen.

I liked the journal going into Egon's thoughts that they were capturing spirits but not all spirits were malicious. Ways to identify a malicious versus benevolent. Those were neat ideas. If anything official happens with them will be interesting. Everyone has their own canon. Is TRGB the actual group with Dan and Ernie playing roles like the cartoon says?, are there different dimensions with the 2016 group and the IDW group?

Doesn't matter, Sony sold something, you liked it, bought it and count it as official until there really is no way to do so inside your head anymore. That's ok. Sony doesn't care if you bought it because you wanted it to be official or not...just that you bought it ;)
RealGhostbusterJay wrote: February 24th, 2023, 3:57 am we live in a world now where fans can tell a studio to stick it and make their own canon
That's....always been a thing.
RealGhostbusterJay wrote: February 27th, 2023, 10:03 am Yes. Doing it TO a studios face has not I would argue. Social Media have helped changed that in terms of interactions between studios and fans.
"I dIsAGrEE wItH uR cAnOn."
"Ok?"
"I'Ll mAkE mY owN."
"O...kay."

😆
Hairy Biker wrote:I actually enjoyed reading it. Its great for head canon.
I liked the subtle humour in it.
I had a great laugh at the Sedgwick not allowing Venkman and Dana to have the wedding there.

It'd be great if they could work some elements of it into the films but I don't see that happening.
Seconded! While I doubt that it's supposed to be treated as complete movie canon, there's nothing in it that seems to contradict what happened in the movie. In some cases, it explains things further and adds more dimension to GBA's version of Egon. It's also quite funny (and a bit poignant in spots).

For a limited release promotional booklet, it appears to have had a lot of thought put into it, including discussion of benign vs malevolent ghosts and the idea of containing them separately or helping them cross. This was addressed more in RGB but not as much in the movies.
Hairy Biker liked this
deadderek wrote: February 4th, 2023, 3:31 am The main group on Facebook (HasLab Proton Pack Modders) has a member who was kind enough to upload the entire journal itself for those who missed out.

The link to the PDF:

I can't believe how awesome the Egon Spengler's journal is. It's so in line with the vibe of GB1-GB2. It's so nuanced it even references Filmation's Ghostbusters in an almost imperceptible way. It's almost perfect.

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]