Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By Photon Guy
In ghostlore it is common knowledge that solid objects will pass right through ghosts without any apparent effect on them. You see this when Slimer goes through the wall, right after Ray zaps at Slimer, Slimer flies right through the wall. Im not sure if this is accurate but what I've heard about as to why this is the case is because ghosts don't exist entirely within our reality. I don't know if this is the reason why objects pass through ghosts in the Ghostbusters universe or in general ghostlore or in both but that's what I've heard as an explanation as to why solid objects pass through ghosts.

That is not to say that ghosts don't effect the objects that pass through them, at least not in the Ghostbusters universe. In the Ghostbusters universe, contact with a ghost by any solid object will cause the object to be coated with ectoplasmic residue or "slime," we see this when Slimer goes through the wall, if you watch the scene you will see slime on the wall after Slimer goes through it. Also when Peter gets slimed, its because Slimer went through Peter. We also see it in the library with the "mucus" that Egon had Peter collect for him.

That being the case, about solid objects going right through ghosts without effecting them, that is why you can't catch a ghost with a net. If you were to try the net would just go right through the ghost without catching it. An ion stream fired from a proton pack on the other hand will catch a ghost. That is because the ion stream will somehow force the ghost into our reality and the ghost will get lassoed in the stream. That is how you're able to catch a ghost with an ion stream.

Anyway Im checking with Ghostbusters fans and with anybody who has a good background in ghostlore if what Im saying is accurate.
By Threadender
I've heard of a similar explanation before somewhere (probably from deviantart or one of the books based on Ghostbusters lore). The proton streams bond with the negative ions of the spirit, weaken their ability to phase through objects in this reality. Of course, this would predominately work on ghosts that can do those things -- then again, I think they have the ability to interact with everything depending on their strength. So, Slimer for instance can either choose to phase through objects or try to plow right through them.

Entities with a more solid hold in this reality would, I believe, receive physical damage from the streams.

Don't quote me though. It has been a long time since I put much thought into this topic.
TheBluesmobile liked this
By One time
I thought proton streams were just to wrangle the ghost over the ghost trap to catch it.

That they serve no other purpose apart from
creating a physical connection to the effervescent material of a ghost.

The jogger scene in GB2 shows them capturing a ghost with just the trap.
TheBluesmobile liked this

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

Patch 1.8.0/DLC 5 added two more -Bitter Cold: […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]