For users in: Arizona, California, Colorado, Kansas, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, & Utah.
By Chronos31385s
Hi, I live in Cleveland just south of Houston. I was wondering if anyone else in the area would be interested in forming a Houston Branch of Ghostbusters. I think it'd be fun to meet other Ghost heads and hang out. Doesn't have to be anything major just a group that meets up for local conventions and such. I know one other member here is interested what do the rest of you think?
By EctoDeath
Well, my wife and I used to live in Dallas, but had to move to Cypress about 45 minutes from downtown Houston. If we end up staying in the area we would be interested in joining up, especially since I have no idea what conventions and events go on in the area, lol.
By Gbass242
Hey, welcome aboard!

Anyone know of any cool events to go to in the next few months? I'll check and see if the River Oaks theatre will be showing GB anytime soon.

I have a bit of sad news. In an attempt to get my pack done this Halloween, I did something that seriously messed up my pack shell, and I had to scrap the project. So, I have a Nutrona wand and a bunch of lights and sound equipment with no home to be carried in. :walterpeck:

I guess this year I'll be the "off duty" GB. :sigh: (Lame, I know). That or a Mafioso. :whatever:
By Gbass242
Long time, no talk, HGBs. Any ideas floating around?

I will be starting a Facebook group for us. In the next few days, look for something along the lines of "Houston Area Ghostbusters" or "Houston Ghostbusters Alliance", just something like that.

Besides that, all is quiet on this front. Too bad we missed out on the midnight screening of GB and GBII a few months back. I'll keep an eye out for things to do.
By moviemaker29
I live down in the Clear Lake area...

Unfortunately though, I don't have a pack, uniform, etc yet so I guess I can't consider myself a full blown Ghosthead...

But I obviously love the films and have some other cool memorabilia...
By moviemaker29
Gbass,

Yeah I do plan on putting together a uniform, but I may have to opt for just purchasing a pack as I really don't have the skills, tools, nor time to put one together right now. I'm kind of split, though...I want a pack that I can wear every so often but I also want a very realistic/accurate display pack made out of the best parts. Same goes for a trap...

I really appreciate your offer to help and will definitely get in touch with you if I get to a point where I can dedicate the time & money to this project.

I'm really glad to hear you know where to get a good flightsuit!
By Gbass242
moviemaker29,

I would be more than happy to help. I'm making some packs for some friends of mine in hopes of attending a con this coming year. If you wish, we can do business. Let me tell you now, if you want quality, it ain't cheap. BUT, it all depends on how realistic you want it. A pack alone with no lights or sounds can be as much as $200. With lights, increase it to $350-400. Sound is another $100. So, your pack alone, depending on what you want, will be probably your most expensive endeavor. However, I have seen packs done that are less than $100, but they are generally foam and other things that are *like* they are in the movies.

I stated this in another thread, it depends on philosophy. You can either follow the Hollywood prop crowd, or have the mindset of the GBs in the movies. They started up a business that no one has done before, so they sought out items that were cheap, but worked (suits, walkie-talkies, car, and other things). The packs were of items that they invented basically themselves, and thought not to streamline it (Hence all the wires sticking out).

Now, with this in mind (God, I'm a nerd...), take your pick. IMO, I take both sides. I want/have the items that scream "Hey, a Ghostbuster!", yet I have it as well where it has my own touch. I do plan on making more prop items that go along with the suit and pack, but they may not be "screen accurate".
By moviemaker29
Thanks for the insight, Gbass.

I have been lurking around the GB communities for a few years now and fully understand that it can quickly become an expensive and time-consuming hobby.

When I do get around to buying or building a pack, I will be totally prepared to pay the few thousand dollars it will cost to get a screen-accurate and high quality pack, but I may have to wait a year or two for that. Especially if I can commission someone for the job. The couple of screen-used props I have from Ghostbusters cost a great deal more than the highest quality packs out there.

For the time being though, I think I am definitely going to start looking into putting a uniform together and such.

Do the places you know of here in Houston have the Nomex suits? I want the best quality/most screen-accurate suit I can get.
By moviemaker29
Awesome! Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to look up that surplus store and see if there are any down here near Clear Lake.

I'm trying to do as much research on these Nomex suits as I can beforehand.

Thanks again!
By BSjohnson
Alvin here. I've been lazy about propping lately, but I'd love to meet up with some locals!

There is a small (read VERY small) sci-fi convention at University of Houston Clear Lake at the end of the month! We should all go as a group in uniform! It's the con's second year so we're likely to be one of the bigger attractions!

http://conjour.net/
By Don D' Ablo
Copperfield in the hizouse!!!

I collect and build replica movie props and built a pack, trap, etc. I'm also planning to build a containment unit and slime blower by Halloween.

Anywayz, would love to be part of the Houston Area Ghostbusters!!!
By Gbass242
BSjohnson, keep us informed about the con.

Don, Welcome aboard! The Houston Area Ghostbusters have a group on Facebook (if you have one, please join up!) that will have info and events posted on it.

Welcome aboard, all! I can't to meet y'all.
By Don D' Ablo
Gbass242 wrote:BSjohnson, keep us informed about the con.

Don, Welcome aboard! The Houston Area Ghostbusters have a group on Facebook (if you have one, please join up!) that will have info and events posted on it.

Welcome aboard, all! I can't to meet y'all.
Thanx, went ahead and joined the FB group. Looking forward to some kind of meetup in the near future,
By BSjohnson
There's not much to inform about ConJour, other than it's next weekend. Let's see the Houston Area Ghostbusters in full force!
By Gbass242
If I can somehow throw together a PKE and goggles, I'd be fine. My pack is NO WHERE near done. I haven't gotten my gun kit in yet from MMM (though it should be in this week.

Oh yeah, and get my name tag on my suit. I'll probably do that tonight after I get some class work done.

I'll notify the FB peeps later on.
By Gbass242
Greetings, Ghostheads! One of our members has brought to my attention "Con-jour". It is a small con at UH Clear Lake, and it is this Friday through Sunday. Therefore, I'm calling an "ALL HANDS" venture to the con. I'm only asking for a Saturday appearance. There are several panels/stops we can make ourselves known (i.e. Fan Based Organizations 5p Saturday).

I know a few of us don't have anything GB uniform related, but we'll forgive this first round. If you can "con-jour" up something GB related, to full out uniform, that would be good. I'm thinking kind of the scene in GBII when they investigate the museum. They don't have packs, but still have uniforms, and some equipment, and Peter is in street clothes.

What time, where do we want to meet, any ideas on how to approach this? I have some GB decals I can put on my truck, and probably come up with business cards or something.

DISCUSS!!
By BSjohnson
Man, you KNOW I'll be there! It's all I've been posting on facebook for the past week! LoL.

Seriously though, I'll be there Friday after 4pm and most (if not all) of Saturday after 11am.
By Gbass242
HAGBs, Con-Jour was a success! Myself and BSjohnson met up with two other GBs who might join the franchise, and also spoke on a panel on Fan based Organizations. There are requests already for us to appear at 2-3 other cons happening this year, so let's get to work!

If y'all still need help on packs, let us know, we'll work together!
By chaobell
Two things:

1. I do not do the Facebook, but I have more web space and bandwidth than any normal human being could possibly need and would have no problem sticking a forum or something on it if that is a thing anyone might find useful.

2. Bayou City Classic 10K, March 13. It's a very walker-friendly 10K. There are costume awards, including one for best movie-inspired costume.

You know what you doing.

...okay, well, there's no way in Hell I'm going to run 6.2 miles in a standard flight suit and combat boots with or without a pack, so I'll paint/dye/otherwise make a pair of Tyvek coveralls not look crappy. It would be awesome if other folks did likewise.

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]