Hasbro is currently hyping up the Transformers 40th Anniversary with all kinds of new releases having been announced this month. We are a few months off the Ghostbusters 40th Anniversary so there would be no better time to sell more Plasma Series Proton Packs. (fingers crossed)

Due to Neutron Wands (both the Afterlife and '84) seeing a retail release of their Plasma Series line products. There's no doubt a lot of people like myself who currently only own the particle thrower from the line. I literally just missed being told about the Haslab project fund by a day. (But, I know there's many more who life, family, money, etc. made the previous release a matter of bad timing.)

For those hoping for Haslabs to release more Plasma Series Proton Packs, what are you most looking forward to or are hopeful for in terms of a new model:
  • Afterlife Proton Pack (more of the existing model)
  • '84 Inspired Proton Pack
  • Frozen Empire Inspired Proton Pack
  • '84 Inspired Proton Pack with optional Frozen Empire conversion kit
I personally am hoping for any of the above but the Afterlife. I like the idea of having a Proton Pack which feels newer. I am super curious what everyone else is hopeful for? It goes without saying whatever is most wanted or has been most requested of the Haslabs teams is most likely to become real.

Come the 40th Anniversary it will have been about a year and a half since Haslabs shipped the Afterlife Proton Packs.
oidoglr, edspengler liked this
They may just release a Frozen Empire wand. It would cheaper to build for them than another pack.

The 84 may have been a toe dip to see what interest is generated. A pack would be amazing but I doubt it would happen.
UncannyGirl wrote: March 25th, 2024, 4:20 pm For those hoping for Haslabs to release more Plasma Series Proton Packs, what are you most looking forward to or are hopeful for in terms of a new model:
  • Afterlife Proton Pack (more of the existing model)
  • '84 Inspired Proton Pack
  • Frozen Empire Inspired Proton Pack
  • '84 Inspired Proton Pack with optional Frozen Empire conversion kit
Pretty sure they lost a LOT of money with the Afterlife pack. Doubt they'll redo it.
It's unlikely that HasLab would announce a new ('84) or updated (Frozen Empire) proton pack.
The original one from 2 years ago was completely crowdfunded, and they clearly stated that they would not release any more proton packs.
That would completely undermine the entire point of crowdfunding.
hutto, deadderek liked this
gamera1968 wrote: March 26th, 2024, 7:45 am It's unlikely that HasLab would announce a new ('84) or updated (Frozen Empire) proton pack.
The original one from 2 years ago was completely crowdfunded, and they clearly stated that they would not release any more proton packs.
That would completely undermine the entire point of crowdfunding.
They said no more proton packs *at all*....or no more Afterlife style packs? I don't recall them saying the former....
@Specter Mitcher - Either way, any proton pack would be crowdfunded, and it's highly unlikely they will make any more proton packs, no matter which version.
Better yet, why don't you e-mail Hasbro and ask them? I'd like to see what they have to say. I know some fans do want another chance to own one, but I don't see it happening.
deadderek liked this
gamera1968 wrote: March 26th, 2024, 8:21 pmany proton pack would be crowdfunded
While there is no shortage of FOMO terminology that I can find using the Wayback Machine surrounding the Plasma Series Proton Pack, I cannot find one article, website post, or video where the Haslabs team stated there would never be another Proton Pack or another Funding Project for the product.

There's plenty of interviews including on Tested from Haslabs team members which made it clear there's a degree of hands on development which makes a product this large impossible to mass produce so Retail releases never happened (like with the Neutrona Wands.)

And as you mentioned, @gamera1968, there's people in your community area / personally know who need and/or want a Plasma Series Proton Pack. There's so many more because of the Retail release.

I agree that if the development requires the team to get their hands dirty on production that if all Plasma Series Proton Packs are limited to Haslabs Funding Projects, that is okay.

(Unfortunately, I am not some massive TV celebrity like Adam Savage. So, I doubt an email to Hasbro will be followed up with the full for internal eyes only marketing and project schedule for the Ghostbusters 40th Anniversary.)
gamera1968, oidoglr liked this
If you check the post below from reddit, one of the Habro employees did a QA thread and mentioned at the top of the post with FAQ's stating that they are not doing another run. This is the closest I could find an official statement regarding it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ghostbusters/c ... b_qa_post/
deadderek liked this
https://imgur.com/a/cMrW4kQ

There’s legal wiggle room for a different variant. I’d say the “84” wand most closely resembles the Zeddemore Afterlife pack that Trevor also uses trying to capture Slimer in Frozen Empire.

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. The process is hammered down, the scanned files are there for minimal re-configuration of the existing toy just like they changed the grips but kept everything else the same from the Spengler wand to the “84” wand. If anything an OG pack has fewer pieces than the Spengler Afterlife pack and reduces materials costs.
CaptainAssholay wrote: March 27th, 2024, 3:20 pm If you check the post below from reddit, one of the Habro employees did a QA thread and mentioned at the top of the post with FAQ's stating that they are not doing another run. This is the closest I could find an official statement regarding it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ghostbusters/c ... b_qa_post/
Yes they aren't doing another run of the Afterlife Spengler pack but doesn't mean they can't do an 84/FE pack.
oidoglr wrote: March 27th, 2024, 4:51 pmMake it that pack, sell it for $599.
(While I am in Canada and damn does our dollar SUCK!) If Hasbro felt the pre-release pricing for the Project did not actually make sense with the final product, I absolutely agree. Slap another hundred or two USD to compensate for any future releases.

With the Pack, Wands, PKE Meter, and Traps out there/in production, the HasLabs team is either done with Ghostbusters for several decades (which given the timing of the 40th Anniversary makes little sense) or they have something up their slevees.

[Immediately after I typed this... I remembered the Aerial Drone Trap. I won't lie, I will pass on a drone even if its part Trap.]

The fan response to Frozen Empire was mostly positive and the new 2024 revision to the Proton Pack has enough changes that it does merrit its own release. Plus, it might be the Haslabs team ONLY opportunity to get to work with the Frozen Empire props. (If you are working with the HasLabs team... would you really want to risk missing out on getting to play with the new props?)
oidoglr liked this
If it's a licensing issue, fair enough, but if so then they should probably release an official statement saying they can't do anymore packs. Until then I'm holding a glimmer of hope that they do announce another run in June when the next load of merch is revealed.

I missed out on the Haslab pack due to poor timing (and I've been bitterly tearing my hair out ever since) and I would absolutely leap at the chance for another crowdfund. Even if it was an extra couple of hundred, like you guys said, and even if it was a limited run only, I honestly believe people would still go nuts trying to get a piece. Especially if it was an '84 version. I managed to nab a Spirit pack and I would still trade it for a fresh Haslab one in a heartbeat.
oidoglr liked this
I think any variant of a proton pack other than Spengler Afterlife is fair game for a Haslab.

'84 is the evergreen money tree for all other merch, so why not a pack? If nothing else, resellers will flood the backing pool.
Personally, I hope they don't do an '84 pack. Reason being it'll drive some makers in the community out of business, and be worse for those of us that build packs. I know the AL Haslab packs already hit that sector of the community in terms of their sales, and an '84 pack would be the death knell for some of them.
alphabeta001 liked this
tobycj wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 5:15 am Personally, I hope they don't do an '84 pack. Reason being it'll drive some makers in the community out of business, and be worse for those of us that build packs. I know the AL Haslab packs already hit that sector of the community in terms of their sales, and an '84 pack would be the death knell for some of them.
I kind of see your point, and don't wish anyone to lose out on business when they make awesome shells/parts etc.

I would love a Hasbro pack, it just can't beat my fibreglass shell and real parts and alu wand. But that's just me.
Yeah, and I'm a pack builder myself, so I get that. I sourced parts from Etsy and GBFans and my local hardware store, which was a super fun experience, but Hasbro doesn't care at all about that and we can't expect them to.

They re-release figures that are highly evaluated in the secondary market all the time, stripping value from collectors hoping to profit from smart purchasing.

I thought I would instantly purchase a 1984 Wand because the wand was the hardest part of the build for me, (I modified a Proton Blaster MOD) but I still haven't. I wonder if I will. I might just 3D print a wand, than mess around trying to figure out how to connect Hasbro electronics to GBFans board I already have.
GhostFaceX wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 2:28 am I would LOVE a 1984 pack. As new condition. It would be a dream come true. But for me, it would really, really have to be painted black this time.
Yeah, same for me. I think the GBA Spengler pack is very cool, but for me it made no sense to me to get a highly specific variant when what I wanted was a GB1/2 pack.
gamera1968 wrote: March 26th, 2024, 7:45 am That would completely undermine the entire point of crowdfunding.
Gonna have to disagree with this. I believe the point of crowdfunding is to ensure a project has garnered enough interest and funds from backers to get it off the ground and make a bit of a profit doing so. Once it's off the ground and has had a solid initial sale, then it goes to mass market. That's how it works for video games, board games, shows, movies, even other toys. I've literally never experienced the level of gatekeeping when it comes to other crowdfunding projects than I have with people who backed the Proton Pack.

A lot of "collectors" have this weird belief that FOMO is part of the experience, that the goal of collecting is to grab a thing, hoard it while watching its monetary value go up and its supply go down, then flip it. I completely disagree with this line of thinking and I believe collecting should be about the personal and sentimental value an item has for you, not monetary gain. But that's just me, I'm just some schmo on the internet, what do I know. :P

But as for the topic at hand, I too am in the same boat as everyone else here desperate for a new pack. For every stream, panel, whatever Hasbro announced over the past 3 months, I basically held my breath and waited, one tab open on the Pulse page and refreshing it like a madman several times a day in the hopes that something would pop up. With the major disappointment from the latest Wondercon panel, I couldn't deal with it anymore; I saw an acceptable deal for an Afterlife Proton Pack, still sealed, on Facebook Marketplace and bit the bullet. I paid a bit less than double its crowdfunding price, which is amazing considering it's going for over $1K on the grey market, but I feel a lot more comfortable owning one now. I'm in a much better position now, financially, than when it was announced, so if they *do* go ahead with a new pack, I'd probably grab that too, given the opportunity. I do want an '84 pack to go with my wand and I'd be happy to see Frozen Empire gear as well.

Lotta people are also saying "they won't do another Haslab so soon" but like, who said they have to be Haslab projects? They could just sell them, like the wands. There's been enough interest to fund two crowdfunding projects and there are clearly still people out there clamouring for gear they couldn't get at the time, so it's not so crazy to assume they'd just put them on store shelves. Business would be good for modders too, as they'd have ready made packs to futz around with and tinker to their preferences. People could use store bough packs as a base and create and design wholly unique gear if they want.

I'd also love to see them release official Ecto Goggles. If the PKE meter is an actual functional EM detector, they could totally have goggles with real night vision or infrared applications. :D
oidoglr, deadderek, Nadrarak liked this
Psycho Werekitsune wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 12:11 pm
gamera1968 wrote: March 26th, 2024, 7:45 am That would completely undermine the entire point of crowdfunding.
Gonna have to disagree with this. I believe the point of crowdfunding is to ensure a project has garnered enough interest and funds from backers to get it off the ground and make a bit of a profit doing so. Once it's off the ground and has had a solid initial sale, then it goes to mass market. That's how it works for video games, board games, shows, movies, even other toys. I've literally never experienced the level of gatekeeping when it comes to other crowdfunding projects than I have with people who backed the Proton Pack.
Yeah. What Haslab does isn't really "crowdfunding" as it's normally defined--the normal definition is exactly like you said. Haslab is really more "made to order"--they offer the product, and if enough people order it in the time allotted, they take your money, make the item, and send it to you about a year later. They basically make only the amount ordered but not any more than that, and never will (and so far haven't). (Other than a small number extra made purely so customer service has a few replacements for damaged/malfunctioning product; last year on Black Friday Haslab had a surprise flash sale on Proton Packs, which were theorized to be the customer service overrun being released after the replacement period ended.)
Obviously no one wants to see back builders and/or parts suppliers lose business but even if Hasbro DO release more packs there will always be a market for people wanting higher quality builds/parts that are available from passionate fans on here and elsewhere. Hasbro are never going to be able to make enough packs to satisfy everyone either way, but they will (and have) open the market up for more potential modders.
Fritz wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 1:24 pm
Psycho Werekitsune wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 12:11 pm
Yeah. What Haslab does isn't really "crowdfunding" as it's normally defined--the normal definition is exactly like you said. Haslab is really more "made to order"--they offer the product, and if enough people order it in the time allotted, they take your money, make the item, and send it to you about a year later. They basically make only the amount ordered but not any more than that, and never will (and so far haven't). (Other than a small number extra made purely so customer service has a few replacements for damaged/malfunctioning product; last year on Black Friday Haslab had a surprise flash sale on Proton Packs, which were theorized to be the customer service overrun being released after the replacement period ended.)
But even made to order stuff is usually open to the general public, though I can understand the logistics for this might be a bit more difficult since so much manufacturing is required. I dunno, I still think they can probably do well by just selling them, but that's just me.
ShandorMiningCo wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 2:52 pm Obviously no one wants to see back builders and/or parts suppliers lose business but even if Hasbro DO release more packs there will always be a market for people wanting higher quality builds/parts that are available from passionate fans on here and elsewhere. Hasbro are never going to be able to make enough packs to satisfy everyone either way, but they will (and have) open the market up for more potential modders.
Yeah, that's how I see it. Hasbro has simply upped the game for what's available on the mass market, where Spirit Halloween or whatever preceded it aren't the gold standard for store bought gear. The pack builders and modders still have a place within the community and whether it's improving currently existing stuff or building from scratch, I feel like there'll always be a place for them.
ShandorMiningCo wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 2:52 pm Obviously no one wants to see back builders and/or parts suppliers lose business but even if Hasbro DO release more packs there will always be a market for people wanting higher quality builds/parts that are available from passionate fans on here and elsewhere. Hasbro are never going to be able to make enough packs to satisfy everyone either way, but they will (and have) open the market up for more potential modders.
I tend to agree with this take. I think if anything Hasbro just brought people into the space who otherwise wouldn't be here.

When Spirit made their pack in 2017 I THOUGHT I found a simpler, more affordable way to finally make a GB cosplay, but here we are many fan merchant dollars later and I am still considering just 3D printing a whole set up from scratch for which I would source from GBFans and etsy.

I was pretty sure I would back the two in the box because the trap to me is more daunting than a pack but I still hesitated (and eventually did back it). It's not a given I would actually back an 84 or 89 pack despite me "wanting" them to make one.
As someone who has purchased both sizes of Spirit packs and 2 Haslab packs and has literally more than $2k in mod parts invested in upgrades across them, I agree with @RiverofSlime. If Mack's Factory and GBFans exist out there at the same time as Chris Bosh, Tom Morris and ProtonProps, another Hasbro pack isn't going to dissuade the hardcore collector from the ultra premium options out there.
I have no data, but I assume that Afterlife reactivated some dormant fans who hadn't thought about GB in a long time and those people now with adult money decided to jump in on Haslab.
RiverofSlime wrote: April 4th, 2024, 7:56 pm I have no data, but I assume that Afterlife reactivated some dormant fans who hadn't thought about GB in a long time and those people now with adult money decided to jump in on Haslab.
Can confirm, I'm one of those fans. Between how long it took for any sort of new media to follow the second movie to show up, to how sequels kept getting shot down because a certain actor wouldn't play ball, to how the 2016 film did absolutely nothing for me, I just got burned out and truly believed the franchise needed to die in peace because it was suffering (the only legitimately good thing between all that was the game). Afterlife brought it back from the dead for me (pun fully intended) and reinvigorated my interest in the franchise like I was 4 years old again.
oidoglr, One time, RiverofSlime and 1 others liked this
Psycho Werekitsune wrote: April 4th, 2024, 11:32 pm
RiverofSlime wrote: April 4th, 2024, 7:56 pm I have no data, but I assume that Afterlife reactivated some dormant fans who hadn't thought about GB in a long time and those people now with adult money decided to jump in on Haslab.
Can confirm, I'm one of those fans. Between how long it took for any sort of new media to follow the second movie to show up, to how sequels kept getting shot down because a certain actor wouldn't play ball, to how the 2016 film did absolutely nothing for me, I just got burned out and truly believed the franchise needed to die in peace because it was suffering (the only legitimately good thing between all that was the game). Afterlife brought it back from the dead for me (pun fully intended) and reinvigorated my interest in the franchise like I was 4 years old again.
The game really came out of nowhere. It was a GB wasteland in 2009. Nothing. All we had was the Neca figures of some ghosts released a decade earlier and Neca Dancing Slimer (which IMO is the best Slimer sculpt in "toy" form to this day). Then we got the game in 2009 thanks to Zootfly's GB demo which got an overwhelming response, causing Sony / Atari / Vivendi to bankroll the game. Terminal Reality even got Bill Murray involved (after swapping out David Margulies' mayor role for Murray's own brother, to persuade Murray) to reprise Venkman. All the original Ghostbusters reprised their roles.

That incredible 2009 game (insane fan service) started everything, the Matty props which followed, the PKE, Trap, Thrower and Ecto Goggles. Which then got the ball rolling on ATC, Afterlife and now FE.

I think we have it all to thank to the awesome 2009 game and John Melchior specifically.

It really proves that GB interest is almost eternal. The Haslab Two in the box recently proved that. 25,000 backers. Even more than the Haslab proton pack from a few years earlier.

Whatever large scale thing you make in GB will sell.
Psycho Werekitsune liked this

https://www.gbfans.com/images/news/mondo-real-gho[…]

Hey guys, its been over a month without updates an[…]

Nice work! I have considered trying a 3D print pac[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Appreciate the input. Yeah I'm sure someone has. I[…]