By dhenley
I'm updating the ion arm on my haslab pack, and I know that most builders, and haslab, make their ion arm out of 1/4" brass bar. However, this doesn't seem accurate to me.

In these screen used packs the arm appears more bronze than brass:

The more brown color could be due to age and weather, but notice the color difference between the brass fitting and the tube:

The haslab pack shipped with a brass ion arm

However the prototype haslab pack appeared to have a bronze arm:

Anybody else have any thoughts on this?
By UEF
Were the originals ever a real-world item? And was it a long rod with a kink in the middle per Haslab, or two separate and unconnected bits?
By dhenley
UEF wrote: February 1st, 2023, 2:34 pm Were the originals ever a real-world item? And was it a long rod with a kink in the middle per Haslab, or two separate and unconnected bits?
The single rod with the kink is surely a manufacturing shortcut haslab made. When making it out of aluminum is much quicker/easier just to drill two holes and use two bits of rod.
By Kingpin
Regarding the original question, I believe they were brass.
As for the one you've pictured present on that screen-used GBII Pack, I believe that too would've been brass-coloured originally... But that it ended up darkened down during the construction/detailing process for the props in the second film.

Here's how they looked in 1988:

By dhenley
What stands out to me is just how different they look than the brass air fittings on the pack

One thing to note is that if they were copper or bronze I would expect to see some green oxidation on the old screen-used packs, but that isn't present, of course these packs probably had a lot of matte clear sprayed on which would explain the lack of oxidation.

I think I'll go with copper.
By Kingpin
dhenley wrote: February 1st, 2023, 6:10 pm One thing to note is that if they were copper or bronze I would expect to see some green oxidation on the old screen-used packs, but that isn't present, of course these packs probably had a lot of matte clear sprayed on which would explain the lack of oxidation.
Weren't most of the Pack props on the evidence table fibreglass Semi-Heroes? Ones that were built specifically for the second movie?
By tobycj
Kingpin wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 4:34 pm
dhenley wrote: February 1st, 2023, 6:10 pm One thing to note is that if they were copper or bronze I would expect to see some green oxidation on the old screen-used packs, but that isn't present, of course these packs probably had a lot of matte clear sprayed on which would explain the lack of oxidation.
Weren't most of the Pack props on the evidence table fibreglass Semi-Heroes? Ones that were built specifically for the second movie?
Pretty sure the two that are mainly in that screenshot are semi heroes. Both have the hex clippard elbow on the ion arm, and I don't believe either is the Venkman hero (or the super hero), so they must be semi heroes in that case.
By Kingpin
The solid-looking N-Filter holes, and the seemingly-chipped looking bumper bellows would also suggest they're Semi-Heroes.

-Which would explain the absence of oxidation if the rods are copper, they've not been in existence long enough to get a patina.
tobycj, RedSpecial liked this
By RedSpecial
Yeah the only packs shown on those tables were Semi-Hero's and Stunt packs.
As for the patina, we generally associate copper patina as the blue-green discolouration such as seen on the statue of liberty.
But in reality there are myriad variations in patina exhibited in copper and other metals.
It all just depends on the conditions surrounding the metal and the presence of any chemical treatments.

The blue-green is normally a result of exposure to the elements, acidity and moisture, above all else.
As copper ages in a sheltered environment it tends to just darken.
This process can be sped up by exposing the metal to sulphur which nicely replicates the colour copper becomes with age.

There are also purpose made solutions commercially available which have various differing affects and well as other household items which similarly, will have various affects.
Such as vinegar, salt, baking soda and water, ammonia, plant fertiliser, etc.
My favourite trick for darkening copper it to seal the metal in a container over night with the crushed yolk of an over boiled egg which releases sulphur and gives a really nice aged look.
tobycj, gamera1968, Kingpin liked this

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]