As long as it's a LiPo charger that is rated for that voltage and doesn't exceed a 1C charge rate (that pack would
be 2.2Ah) then you should be fine.
The charger for the blue bricks don't have a balance plug to evenly charge each cell but for what we're using the batteries
for it shouldn't really matter, just don't drain it down too far, deep discharge on LiPo/Lion is really hard on them.
I have no idea what you just said but ok! Haha!

When I get more into the pack electronics and build a charging station I'll look at something different. Hopefully I can charge this battery enough to start building the e cig.

Having trouble finding 22 gage wire in Canada. 2 more places to try before I look online.
Carpeteria wrote:First off - this is a really amazing system and idea. Well done to all involved!

I was able to toss together a quick visual layout for the wiring, for those who aren't schematically inclined. This drawing is for use with the Mighty microcontroller, which is what I have in my pack. Your mileage may vary.

If you use this set up, you can get the SPDT relay here:

http://www.pololu.com/product/2480

and from the same site, you can get the servo cable here:

http://www.pololu.com/product/779
First and foremost, this diagram was VERY helpful for me but now I am stuck at a crossroads on a pair of issues lol
I, like others, want to use a GBFans kit running off that blue brick 12V battery.
I have the relay from Spongeface connected.

My question is do I simply pick up from the positive of the battery to the rest of this circuit or do I do something absolutely different.?
oh for the love of god! I have literally just finished my new pack (a loong build) and was really chuffed......... and now all I want to do it rip it apart and put in this whole new level of awesome! kudos to you good sirs from Scotland! I honestly dont think I can resist....my wife may hate me!! lol
Hoot wrote:
Carpeteria wrote:First off - this is a really amazing system and idea. Well done to all involved!

I was able to toss together a quick visual layout for the wiring, for those who aren't schematically inclined. This drawing is for use with the Mighty microcontroller, which is what I have in my pack. Your mileage may vary.

If you use this set up, you can get the SPDT relay here:

http://www.pololu.com/product/2480

and from the same site, you can get the servo cable here:

http://www.pololu.com/product/779
First and foremost, this diagram was VERY helpful for me but now I am stuck at a crossroads on a pair of issues lol
I, like others, want to use a GBFans kit running off that blue brick 12V battery.
I have the relay from Spongeface connected.

My question is do I simply pick up from the positive of the battery to the rest of this circuit or do I do something absolutely different.?
It's exactly like the diagram except the spongeface vent relay goes in its place.

In the kits I'm wiring up for gbfans boards, I am no longer using a separate battery, negating the need for the charging jack

I take the voltage from one of the three 12V terminal blocks on the sound board, they are all parallel
1. The com goes to the black wire feeding the ground of the smoke module
2. Run a wire from the pos terminal to either 1 of the relay terminals
3. Run a wire from the other relay terminal to the pos(red) input to the module
4. optional, if you want to test circuit without going through a vent sequence, simply jumper a switch across the 2 relay terminals for manual operation
5. optional, if you want to kill power to the circuit, splice a switch into either the ground side or pos side feeding the smoke module
pavenatt liked this
Magnus Tullock wrote:quick question is the UBEC more or less a 5v regulator? or does it serve a more significant purpose? I have a home made reg already and tempted to use that

cheers
I originally tried a scratch built transistor regulator circuit for bringing the 12V used by the strobe and fan down to the 5 or 6 volts needed for the pump and ecig. It would over heat and drop the voltage after a few seconds due to the current draw,
I put a fairly large heat sink on the transistor and it still got rather warm
The UBEC is a switching regulator and does the job much more effeciently and does not need a heatsink
At between 4.00 to 8.00 USD on ebay they are not much more than constructing a regulator from discreet parts
Got it working. Now to kinda tidy it up lol still needs some trouble shooting but so far its end user error :) you guys are amazing for sharing this and supporting your ideas!
i got some fog machine liquid from a friend and have been using the "pure glycerin" trying to figure out a mix for more visible smoke, and i get some decent stuff but even without a strobe light i cant seem to get the smoke as visable as in this video (also no strobe)
Sephiroth wrote: Video of internal mechanics and e-vent (without strobe)

to make more smoke: would it require more glycerin? or more fog machine liquid?
Makuta wrote:i got some fog machine liquid from a friend and have been using the "pure glycerin" trying to figure out a mix for more visible smoke, and i get some decent stuff but even without a strobe light i cant seem to get the smoke as visable as in this video (also no strobe)
Sephiroth wrote: Video of internal mechanics and e-vent (without strobe)

to make more smoke: would it require more glycerin? or more fog machine liquid?
This video was made with 50/50 mix
make sure tip is pointing downward after letting wick saturate for about 3 minutes tip end needs to be covered in flui.
may have to manually vent for a bit by jumpering the 2 relay terminals with a piece of wire or a toggle/pushbutton on 1st use or after ecig has not been in use for a long time
more glycerin usually produces denser smoke up to a point, the fluid has to be thin enough to travel up the wick
I have tested about 30 of these now with the 50/50 mix, so if you're not getting the same result, might want to check that the hole in the center pin of the ecig is not blocked with solder and make sure the wick is screwed in tight on the inside of the cartridge
good luck

jim
jimfin wrote: This video was made with 50/50 mix
make sure tip is pointing downward after letting wick saturate for about 3 minutes tip end needs to be covered in flui.
may have to manually vent for a bit by jumpering the 2 relay terminals with a piece of wire or a toggle/pushbutton on 1st use or after ecig has not been in use for a long time
more glycerin usually produces denser smoke up to a point, the fluid has to be thin enough to travel up the wick
I have tested about 30 of these now with the 50/50 mix, so if you're not getting the same result, might want to check that the hole in the center pin of the ecig is not blocked with solder and make sure the wick is screwed in tight on the inside of the cartridge
good luck

jim
thanks for the tips.

i had the UBEC set to the higher voltage (i guess) and last night the filament blew, i am going to order a pack of wicks and i switched the UBEC back to the inner 2 pins
So I walked by a guy at work using one of these and his smoke smelled like bubble gum. I was curious and asked about it... Any reason the 'flavors' couldn't be used with one of these setups?

I'm thinking 'Toasted Marshmallow' would be a nice choice but I wanted to check with the experts before even considering adding it to my mix. I'm using one of jimfin's excellent kits.

http://www.zeusejuice.com/succulent-swe ... uid-flavor
travisccook wrote:So I walked by a guy at work using one of these and his smoke smelled like bubble gum. I was curious and asked about it... Any reason the 'flavors' couldn't be used with one of these setups?

I'm thinking 'Toasted Marshmallow' would be a nice choice but I wanted to check with the experts before even considering adding it to my mix. I'm using one of jimfin's excellent kits.

Try it and let us know, the only thing I read is that some flavors like cinnamon and a few others tend to deteriorate the plastic on the cartridge, it might clog up the wick assembly over time, but its 's simple enough to blow out the wick or replace, so I say go for it, sounds like fun

Jim
travisccook wrote:So I walked by a guy at work using one of these and his smoke smelled like bubble gum. I was curious and asked about it... Any reason the 'flavors' couldn't be used with one of these setups?

From what I have been reading on Vaping different flavors can clog up the coil faster than others, although for how
little use them on our props it probably isn't a big deal.
I found flavored Vodka works pretty good, I made a 80%/20% mix of Glycerin and Blueberry Vodka for just a slight smell.
For something stronger I would say a max of 60/40.
Question for all you battery nerds!
I'm not very familiar with electricity and amps, but I can solder and I am going to make a vape setup for a trap.
I've got a 6v pump and one of those e cig atomizer/tanks.

If I'm not going to use a computer fan, only the e cig and the 6volt pump, could I use a 6v 4 AA battery box or will that not have enough amps?

If I do add the 12v fan can I use 8 AA batteries plus the ubec step down thing?

If anyone could help id be very grateful, thanks!
Lowberg wrote:Question for all you battery nerds!
I'm not very familiar with electricity and amps, but I can solder and I am going to make a vape setup for a trap.
I've got a 6v pump and one of those e cig atomizer/tanks.

If I'm not going to use a computer fan, only the e cig and the 6volt pump, could I use a 6v 4 AA battery box or will that not have enough amps?

If I do add the 12v fan can I use 8 AA batteries plus the ubec step down thing?

If anyone could help id be very grateful, thanks!
I have tested the setup with both of the AA setups you mention. AA batteries are rated at 2000mAh, so they work well and give quite a few bursts before draining, I tested well over 100 2 to3 sec cycles and still had power left, One day I might keep pushing the button till it stops, in theory 2000mAh would be 2 amps available for 1 hour or 3600 seconds.
2 second bursts would mean 1800 available, this is an ideal but still a lot and a viable option

Just remember to situate the tip of the ecig downward a bit in the trap to get full smoke effect like in our trap build and you will probably find a fan will be needed to evacuate the smoke out of the trap, you can run the computer fan at 6V also, just a slower speed. we turned the fake grills into functioning intake and exhaust, but a fan mounted on the inside of the trap behind the intake grill works pretty well by itself if you have some space under the doors
We also used 1 of the knobs on the front of the trap as a switch for the smoke and another for a speed control for the fan

look forward to seeing your completed trap

jimfin
Thanks for the help! I appreciate it. Our local GB group does a lot of events and stuff and I want to make a trap specifically so people can get their picture taken with us and they can be holding the smoking trap. Trying to throw something together in the next few weeks for a comic con type deal
Question for one of those "in the know"

Has anyone seen an online tutorial for something using this tech with just a manual hand trigger? I'm considering using it for a different costume, and a hand triggerable push button smoke effect would be great.
Gareee wrote:Question for one of those "in the know"

Has anyone seen an online tutorial for something using this tech with just a manual hand trigger? I'm considering using it for a different costume, and a hand triggerable push button smoke effect would be great.
Just put the push button in place of the relay, after all the relay is just a switch doing the same thing

I just put 1 together for someone using option 2 in the ecig vent sale thread PM me if you have more questions
Alan Hawkins liked this
Will do. I'm working on a dragon armor costume for dragoncon, and if I have the spare time, I'd like to add a smoking snout effect on it. If I run out of time, I can always do it later as an upgrade.
Thanks for the help!

GREAT SUCCESS

I just wired up an experimentation circuit. 2 circuits, one for the air pump and one for the E cig, both running off their own 6v AA battery box.

Could I wire them to one 6v battery box on the same circuit and still have it work as well?
Gareee liked this
Lowberg wrote:Thanks for the help!

GREAT SUCCESS

I just wired up an experimentation circuit. 2 circuits, one for the air pump and one for the E cig, both running off their own 6v AA battery box.

Could I wire them to one 6v battery box on the same circuit and still have it work as well?
Yes the pumps current draw is negligible to the ecigs draw, I have run your setup with 4 AA's and tested for well over 100 - 2 to 3 second bursts. 1 battery box will not last quite as long as with 2 but will certainly be adequate

jim
Excellent. Space is super limited in the ghost trap cartridge so that will be perfect

Edit: I tried it with one 6v 4-aa battery box and while it worked, both the pump and e-cig ran at about 50% performance producing very little smoke compared to 2 separate dedicated 6v boxes

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]