By 69428scj
Here's the thing about the Ecto, there's three different versions of the car; the movie, the the back lot and restored. There are many issues with any car being being truly "screen accurate". There are labels that we don't know what they said, a black box on the back of the rack that nobody is sure exactly what it is, the true dimensions of the front light bar brackets and its placement among other issues like rack equipment location inside of it. My car is an amalgamation of all three with sprinkling of discreet personal touches. Will I change some of the features eventually to get as close to what we see in the movies? Yes, but for right now I'm content with the appearance of my car.
69428scj wrote:Martin, the car show was in Cincinnati 11-13 January. The tv show Batmobile in the picture wasn't the original, that car was the Barrett-Jackson auction that weekend so I had to settle for a replica. So here's a question for everyone, I'm thinking about adding a little 1A flavor to the car...what does everyone think?

Don't you dare! Ecto-1 is classy and cool. Ecto-1A is a cobbled up piece of crap from a subpar movie that has a septic tank on top.
Im sure whatever route you decide to go the end result will be true to the film. I will weep a little on the inside myself because ecto 1 is my favorite but seeing a conversion thread made by someone with the time and money to do it right will still be killer.

I dont know if its possible or not but would it be feasible for you to recreate the ecto 1A roof rack so that if you wanted too they could be traded out? That way you could have whatever version ecto you felt like literally on a whim.. i imagine something like that would be expensive as hell. Not to mention the effort of actually changing racks out....i dont know how much that thing weighs but im sure it isnt light
By lrdsatyr8
69428scj wrote:Here's the thing about the Ecto, there's three different versions of the car; the movie, the the back lot and restored. There are many issues with any car being being truly "screen accurate". There are labels that we don't know what they said, a black box on the back of the rack that nobody is sure exactly what it is, the true dimensions of the front light bar brackets and its placement among other issues like rack equipment location inside of it. My car is an amalgamation of all three with sprinkling of discreet personal touches. Will I change some of the features eventually to get as close to what we see in the movies? Yes, but for right now I'm content with the appearance of my car.
I'm so sorry... I didn't mean to offend or cause any kind of disruption. When I'm building my models I try to make them as movie accurate as possible. I think your Ecto is completely awesome. I can't imagine the work that went into it. And I totally understand the problem with some details like the labels. You can never really read any of them in the movie so you could put anything on those labels and as long as they are the same general shape and size they work! However, when you're talking about something that can be seen rather clearly in the movie it kidna stands out. Now I don't know what you mean about the 3 different versions... Isn't the backlot Ecto the same one that was used in the movie? Sure it's been sitting there for a long time and has been sun bleached and paint faded etc, but even the backlot version you can see was painted because the paint is peeling off the support rods and the motor....

And in the screen caps from the movie itself you can clearly see that the motor and its mounts are white/gray...

So I know I'm not imagining things... But I also know how when you get into a project and see the finish line, you can miss things that might just make or break an accurate piece. I'm sure you are happy with the way it looks and I know with my OCD it would be eating away at me in the back of my head until I finally did something about it. I truly didn't mean to offend or belittle your Ecto in anyway... just the opposite... I think your version is probably the best I've seen and can't wait to see how you're going to address the back if you haven't already. I'm currently working on my model and have a good idea of the back so far from what I've gathered from the movie and the backlot pics.
Ecto-1 fan, Vincenzo330 liked this
By 69428scj
The true reason why my motor support is black and not white is because the directions I gave to have it painted white were forgotten. The movie car was given a "freshening" around 2005 when it was displayed on the backlot tour where many of the original details were changed or lost. This freshening set the course for how Cinema Vehicle Services would restore the car in 07/08. I knew you weren't trying to insult or belittle me or my car. It's clear though that your OCD has caused you to nitpick my car, which while I don't take offense to, isn't the best way to start off on the right foot with me.
Fifthrider liked this
By lrdsatyr8
69428scj wrote:The true reason why my motor support is black and not white is because the directions I gave to have it painted white were forgotten. The movie car was given a "freshening" around 2005 when it was displayed on the backlot tour where many of the original details were changed or lost. This freshening set the course for how Cinema Vehicle Services would restore the car in 07/08. I knew you weren't trying to insult or belittle me or my car. It's clear though that your OCD has caused you to nitpick my car, which while I don't take offense to, isn't the best way to start off on the right foot with me.
I completely understand and truly didn't mean to nitpick. Please accept my apologies!
Vincenzo330 liked this
Yeah, that car is beautiful and just perfect. Leave it juuuuuuuuuuuuuust the way it is.

Seriously, I will steal that car from you and hide it if you even consider putting Ecto-1a mess on it.
By 69428scj
In Ohio it is legal to have any color lightbar mounted, I'm just not allowed to run reds or blues. Whenever I'm out on the highway I run my strobes, in fact I passed a state trooper the other night with them on and they didn't do anything. He was already chewing gum, so no I didn't offer him any.
By 69428scj
FYI for everyone...I will not be updating this thread anymore. Any future updates will be done on the facebook page. Thanks for all the views and comments over past two years!
By 69428scj
Just a bump, for anyone interested....I'm holding a contest that ends at 5pm May 10th. The person who gets the most of their friends (they have to like the page also) get's to ride in the car with 3 of their friends! Hustle on over to the page and share it to get your friends to like the page!
By DefenderDarko
I would suck this car's tailpipe.
By Donkey8012
I want to post a witty response to that, but I have a feeling Boomer can come up with something better...
By DefenderDarko
Is the 1a really that elusive? I thought the roof rack was mostly the same, but raised up about 5 inches higher to stand level with the signboards?

Either way, your car is awesome. The 1a is neat, but that horrible Gb2 logo ruins the whole car for me.
By 69428scj
Yes, it is that elusive. I just returned from LA yesterday after 4 days of searching the Sony lot and trying to get a hold of people at the studio. Everyone I've talked to has been tight-lipped about the status of the car. With them being secret squirrel about it, that causes me to wonder why, when the 1 just sits on the lot and rusts away again...
By DefenderDarko
There's a good possibility that they could be prepping it for Ghostbusters 3. With them not holding onto Murray, they can just move forward. There's a chance they're cleaning it up just in case.

So what's on that car that you haven't identified? You own all the lights, the roof rack barely changed..
By Chace
So by now the PCS HAVE to know about the car....have they disowned you? What WAS their reaction?

Also just know as long as I'm a voting/founding member of the National Hearse and Ambulance Association there's always a room for you....After all, I'm ALL ABOUT voting out that douche Atti.
69428scj liked this
By 69428scj
I've been very successful at keeping the car away from the PCS. They still don't know, and speaking of voting, if you could give me some positive votes for my thread called "story time everyone!" in the tomb I would appreciate it. Atti decided to give me some serious negative votes in those posts
sonicblaster59 liked this
By sonicblaster59
Hope you liked the interview, Loren! haha. I know it was a last minute thing...at night...as you were closing up shop...and no lapel mic or whatnot...

...But I was great to talk with you about the car and your experiences working on it!

I still have about another hour of unused footage of the interview where you give a complete walk around with the car and point out props and notes related to filming.

Maybe in the special features of the PAPERCUT 2 DVD there will be an UNEDITED version of the entire Ecto 1 interview. I was doing my best to keep the interviews down to 5-10mins, but still have the extra footage. And I can, in the future, complete your interivew 100% with the car and include your walkaround with car and more Ecto-1A talk.

Thanks again man, it was a real pleasure!

If you know of some venue locations with large seating and projectors near your area...I'd love to come up and screen the PAPERCUT 2 movie in Ohio! And show off the short, CHUCK's New Job.

Anywho...awesome car with awesome stories!!
By Fifthrider
Great article, well done Loren! That's a nicely done article and completely well deserved, Honestly, you deserve a lot more coverage for that Ecto and the work you put into it.

See you next Saturday assuming you're going to be where I think you're going to be.

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]