Talk about stuff that has nothing to do with Ghostbusters!
Yesterday was the closing night of the Seattle International Film Festival 2022, and my final film was a fun Dutch movie called The Ghastly Brothers, which is about a young girl who gets sent to a boarding school while her mom flies to New Zealand to research a rare bird, and she discovers it's haunted. To help with the ghost problem, she invites two local paranormal investigators called the Schimm Brothers to the school's job fair.

This movie feels very much like it exists somewhere between Ghostbusters and "The Real Ghostbusters" with its punny, cartoony ghosts. It's very funny and has a sweet core story, which actually is strikingly similar to Afterlife in some ways (it focuses on a mother-daughter relationship, complete with missing father figure). The movie is a little lighter than the actual Ghostbusters movies so it's fully family-friendly, but not necessarily just for kids either.

Here's a trailer:

This movie also reminded me of another Ghostbusters-adjacent comedy, this one more for adults. Hailing from Ireland, Extra Ordinary is another fun supernatural comedy about a woman who has the power to speak to the dead, but hasn't used it since her father died while doing a ritual with her. She's pulled back into it when a man asks for help saving his daughter, who is being lured into a ritual by a has-been rock star played by Will Forte. The movie is actually going to be remade as a television show with Maya Rudolph producing. We'll see how that goes.

As you can guess (and even see in the latter trailer), both of these have some tips of the hat to our favorite franchise. Anyone have any other movies they think of when they think of Ghostbusters? I will throw out the most obvious other example, I think, which is Peter Jackson's The Frighteners. There's also Men in Black, which is modeled on Ghostbusters in conceptually adjacent way, but I have always said I thought Galaxy Quest was a better echo of the same comedy dynamic.

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]