Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
In the scenes with Muncher in the mill, when he's in the capture stream of the Spengler pack, he starts to disappear or neutralize but is able to break free. This doesn't happen during the chase scene with the gunner seat pack. I'm assuming it's a standard pack which seems to have better capture/holding strength than the Spengler pack. When Gozer is in her incomplete form and is hit with the Spengler pack by Lucky, she pulls her down and breaks the stream. No neutralizing. Obviously Gozer is strong as she breaks free from 3 crossed stream standard packs. But when the OGbusters put 3 streams on Gozer and Phoebe fires again, Gozer starts to neutralize. I'm assuming it's the upgrades to the pack. Anyone have an idea if the upgraded pack could disperse a ghost completely? Is that a cannon possibility?
In one of the bonuses Dan Aykroyd mentions making an upgraded proton pack that can also trap a ghost. I know that idea has been around but it’s cool he likes and thinks about evolving the equipment.

Ernie Hudson and Bill Murray just looked at each other and smiled like they thought it was dumb. The whole feature they do that...like “Oh you”. Mostly about his prequel idea (I agree would not work as a movie but could be flashbacks in something).

Not sure why they’d be opposed to equipment changes. Because the trap is iconic? Sure but things should be allowed to change or update. It’s a good idea. It makes sense. It’d be cool if the streams could pull the ghost into a containment feature. It could be the size of trap with a window to see their face. It’d make a cool visual.
By Dr.D
I think changing the equipment like that goes against the fundamental principle that ghostbusting is a difficult, clunky, dangerous job. Redesigining the equipment is all well and good, but to change the way in which ghosts are trapped takes something away from the comedy aspect of Ghostbusters.

They're not supposed to be a high tech, well-oiled machine of an operation. They use goofy clunky backpacks and traps and that is integral to the blue-collar exterminator feel of the Ghostbusters.
The idea that proton streams need to "make a ghost tired" before it can be trapped I think is not right.

The jogger ghost in GB2 shows that a ghost can be simply caught using just a muon trap without any beams at all.

In the canon it's like the proton streams are just used to steer a ghost into a trap. Not to "wear it out" in any sense.
LeoCor Replicas liked this
I think the jogger ghost being unaware of the trap is why it did not require a proton pack. It was taken by surprise but I don’t think they need to be worn out just wrangled in.

I don’t think giving the proton packs a trap feature would make it too high tech. It would just help the process and make for a neat upgrade. The Video Game combined a bunch of features. That was a bit too much but I understand it was in the context of a video game.
One time wrote: February 24th, 2022, 6:35 pm The idea that proton streams need to "make a ghost tired" before it can be trapped I think is not right.

The jogger ghost in GB2 shows that a ghost can be simply caught using just a muon trap without any beams at all.

In the canon it's like the proton streams are just used to steer a ghost into a trap. Not to "wear it out" in any sense.
The Real Ghostbusters was the same way. They used the traps alone all the time.
WCat2000 wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 11:04 pm In one of the bonuses Dan Aykroyd mentions making an upgraded proton pack that can also trap a ghost. I know that idea has been around but it’s cool he likes and thinks about evolving the equipment.

Ernie Hudson and Bill Murray just looked at each other and smiled like they thought it was dumb. The whole feature they do that...like “Oh you”. Mostly about his prequel idea (I agree would not work as a movie but could be flashbacks in something).

Not sure why they’d be opposed to equipment changes. Because the trap is iconic? Sure but things should be allowed to change or update. It’s a good idea. It makes sense. It’d be cool if the streams could pull the ghost into a containment feature. It could be the size of trap with a window to see their face. It’d make a cool visual.
I would have the trap feature be like another barrel along side of the front thrower grip. It emits a vortex like trap effect after the ghost's ecto presence is worn down pulling the ghost into it. There could be a sort of trap cartridge like the standard traps have and when it's loaded it can be ejected like an ammo magazine and another trap cartridge is inserted. There could also be a drum cartridge like the ammo drum for the Thompson sub machine gun. It would have individual containment cells that advance to the next empty one as they are filled by ghosts. I would have a display screen on the gunbox near the vent light that would give pack status along with trap control settings and a built in targeting PKE Meter.
I didn’t respond to this at the time because I myself had never played a Luigi’s Mansion game but I finally played part 3 (never had the original but I do have a GameCube, no 3DS) and it’s totally an unofficial GB game. There’s so many similarities besides his “proton pack”.

I am curious if Dan is aware of these games but I think the idea of a built in trap feature has been around.

The cartridge idea could work especially if there’s a situation where they have to capture multiple ghosts.
WCat2000 wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 11:04 pm In one of the bonuses Dan Aykroyd mentions making an upgraded proton pack that can also trap a ghost. I know that idea has been around but it’s cool he likes and thinks about evolving the equipment.

My issue with a trap on the wand is that is basically just a ghost vacuum, which is what pretty much every other comedic ghost hunting property does. Luigi's Mansion and Filmation's Ghost Busters are clear examples. The flailing laser lassos are kind of what makes Ghostbusters stand out amongst the rest.

Personally, I think the better option would be a Containment Unit pack that can empty trap cartridges in the field and hold extras.
Welsh Pirate wrote: May 16th, 2022, 10:53 pm

My issue with a trap on the wand is that is basically just a ghost vacuum, which is what pretty much every other comedic ghost hunting property does. Luigi's Mansion and Filmation's Ghost Busters are clear examples. The flailing laser lassos are kind of what makes Ghostbusters stand out amongst the rest.

Personally, I think the better option would be a Containment Unit pack that can empty trap cartridges in the field and hold extras.
That’s a good point but I never meant to get rid of the proton streams.

I know I said the streams should pull them in but I like idea of a second barrel that opens the vortex mentioned above better. Still need to lasso them...then trigger the trap feature once it’s close enough. Same difference but without needing to roll out the trap as a separate piece of equipment.

Or if the trap must be a separate thing keep it wireless like in Afterlife. Not necessarily as an RC car. Maybe like a Roomba that automatically positions under ghosts by detecting it’s energy.

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]