Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Might as well start a thread on the Afterlife PKE looks and functionality (as opposed to GB1 & GB2 PKE).

So new features on the PKE:

1. It has a "dormant" mode. Or a mode where it shows a graph that we've not seen before. In previous installments (GB1, GB2, Matty PKE) the PKE has had 2 modes where it showed a graph. The left slider mode (Yellow LED) graph moving upper right to lower left and the right slider mode (Green LED) graph moving upper left to lower right. Note that both of these graphs move diagonally from the top of the screen to the bottom.

The Red LED in the middle used to show no graph in GB1, GB2 and Matty. It used to be the "Off mode" when switched on.

Afterlife shows us that this middle Red LED mode is actually a dormant mode. A mode that is always active even if the user does not select a (left or right) orange or green LED mode.

The Red (middle) mode contrary to GB1, GB2 and Matty, appears to detect things and throw up a new graph in Afterlife. It looks like a "dormant" mode. Where it detects something and throws up a graph or extends the wings even when no one is touching the PKE.

Interesting is that the RED mode (when detecting activity) has a graph that goes from lower left of the screen to upper right. It is the first graph in the PKE we've seen so far to go from bottom to top (also in an arc as opposed to the Orange and Green linear graphs).

You can see that the Red (LED) mode, or dormant mode gets activated when the PKE is not handled for a few seconds. When Phoebe is solving the wooden puzzle on the floor, she had selected the Green (LED) mode on the PKE,... but after she puts the PKE down it goes into the new dormant Red (LED) mode after a few seconds.

2. The PKE has a taser function. In a later scene this mode is activated automatically (when Trevor is looking at posessed Callie, he is surprised and shouts "Whoa" as the PKE goes into Taser mode), This looks like the taser mode automatically activates.

But when it activates during Egon's scene at the start of the film it looks like he activates it. Although his hand movements are vague, it could be argued that the PKE auto activates taser mode.

3. Big red trigger on the bottom. What do we think this is, from the scenes? The taser mode activator? Or the trigger that enables sound output? Because some scenes we don't hear any PKE sounds until we see a character press the red trigger.
What do you think? Logically for me it must be something new (the trigger did not exist in GB1/GB2).. So taser mode?

4. Finger grip only on left side of the PKE handle. Didn't expect this.

(5.) not a feature but did anyone else see the PKE look really terrible when Callie used it and even worse in the subsequent scenes? Like it was scratched up beyond recognition?
Last edited by One time on January 21st, 2022, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One time wrote: January 21st, 2022, 9:55 am 3. Big red trigger on the bottom. What do we think this is, from the scenes? The taser mode activator?
It's for the taser mode. Here's a shot from the end credits:

If the text is tricky to read:
Updated switch and switch guard for activating upgrades
One time wrote: January 21st, 2022, 9:55 am(5.) not a feature but did anyone else see the PKE look really terrible when Callie used it and even worse in the subsequent scenes? Like it was scratched up beyond recognition?
I think at some point the PKE was intended to get badly damaged, and Phoebe would end up repairing it - in this trailer at the 0:08 mark we see her soldering the PKE in her room in the farm house:

One time liked this
Kingpin wrote: January 21st, 2022, 11:56 am
I think at some point the PKE was intended to get badly damaged, and Phoebe would end up repairing it - in this trailer at the 0:08 mark we see her soldering the PKE in her room in the farm house:
My theory is there is a deleted bit when Phoebe and Callie are arguing. Callie takes the P.K.E. Meter away and throws it, damaging it then after the shot of Trevor listening upstairs is this scene of Phoebe repairing it in her room. Hence when Callie is looking for Phoebe the next day and sees the P.K.E. Meter in her room, she sighs.
Kingpin liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: January 21st, 2022, 4:37 pm
Kingpin wrote: January 21st, 2022, 11:56 am
My theory is there is a deleted bit when Phoebe and Callie are arguing. Callie takes the P.K.E. Meter away and throws it, damaging it then after the shot of Trevor listening upstairs is this scene of Phoebe repairing it in her room. Hence when Callie is looking for Phoebe the next day and sees the P.K.E. Meter in her room, she sighs.
That makes total sense. Very impressive deduction skills.

I agree that that sounds incredibly plausible. Although in the scenes with the PKE from Callie holding it onwards there is a whole lot of scratch damage on the PKE with peeling paint. Almost like it was burned or dropped from a car.

But thinking logically that sounds more like the prop department "overdoing" the damage seen on the PKE from simply throwing it against a wall, for the movie going audience.
mrmichaelt liked this
One time wrote: January 21st, 2022, 9:55 am 2. The PKE has a taser function. In a later scene this mode is activated automatically (when Trevor is looking at posessed Callie, he is surprised and shouts "Whoa" as the PKE goes into Taser mode), This looks like the taser mode automatically activates.
I don't think it activated automatically. Trevor picked it up because the PKE turned on. Every time it starts up in the farm house ot indicates Egons presence. I think Egon entered the room which started the PKE, Trevor picked it up and seeing the danger Egon activated the taser function to protect his grandkids.
Kingpin liked this

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]