Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
jaypakavelya wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 5:55 pm - the absence of the ivo shandor gozer cult involving the town citizen thing was a missed opportunity to make the story more interesting
- the fire house starbuck/post credits scene contradiction is just dumb
- Ray Stanz is not written right, I don't recognize him, Dan drinks too much vodka..
- Bill Murray is not emotionaly involved like the others OGs in this Movie
- lack of ghosts in a movie about ghosts ..
- Ivo Shandor 2 secs screen time , I mean come on ..
- Olivia Wilde as Gozer ... meh
- movie feels rushed and the editing is weird, like we are missing alot of meaninful scenes, bluray better be good
- not enough Paul Rudd
- Trevor and Lucky poorly written
- Gozer and Terrordogs all over again boring, should have made Ivo Shandor fusing with Gozer the vilain
- Almost evering interesting scenes are in the trailers, clips but shame on me for watching them
- Mini Puft should have come from stay pufts marshmallow man residues Egon collected and kept in his lab after they defeated him
-Egon took everything but the OGs arrives full equipped ... ?
- No Louis Tully
- No slimer ( should have shown him haunting Ray's occult book shop ...)
- No big baddy for the final battle

positive:

Liked Muncher's chase
Liked Egon's ghost interaction
Liked Phoebe and podcast
Liked Winston scenes
Liked every scene Paul Rudd is in

Jason may have the heart but lacks the skills of his father
I'd have to watch it again but to counter some of your complaints...

Firehouse: a) are we sure its the same firehouse? Hook & Ladder 8 really could be a Starbucks. b) was this a comment made in jest? Theres a running joke in the UK that all our old bank branches are now Starbucks even though they aren't.

Ghosts: Lack of ghosts is an interesting argument, how many ghosts are in GB1? Theres Library ghost, Slimer, "Dream" ghost, Taxi driver and Subway ghost. Vinz and Zuul are more like demons than ghosts and Gozer/Stay Puft... well not really sure what to define those as. We see a sort of mass of ghosts after Peck turns off the ECU but we cant really make out what they are. I don't think we actually see that many in GB1. We see more in GB2 even if you don't count all the Titanic passengers. I think there's more in Afterlife but for the sake of spoilers I won't list all the ones I saw.

Egons theft: I believe it was only really the Ecto1 and "all the traps" that Egon was specifically stated as stealing. If Ecto 1A exists then surely theres a full set of packs in the back of that too? *can of worms regarding Ecto1 and 1A well and truly opened*

haha
l3w1sb159 wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 8:42 am Might be a bit too much fan fiction-y but I think that kind of entrance would have delivered a more impactful return for the original characters?
:blush:
Absolutely. Alternatively, I thought wouldn't it be cool if, right when Gozer is overpowering Lucky's proton stream and hope seems lost, suddenly you see lights cutting through from a distance, except not primarily blue lights. Then the 1A comes crashing in (maybe literally crashing as if it was on its last legs anyway). Sure it opens up another logistical nightmare (how did they drive that thing to Oklahoma in seemingly record time) but it would still be a triumphant entrance as well as give people that "holy crap it was always two cars" moment.

Two things intriguing me the most at this point: Jason's cryptic interview comments about a possible future storyline involving the Ecto(s), and the Vanity Fair article's confirmation that there are multiple other takes of Murray (and possibly Aykroyd) ad-libbing that didn't make the final cut. I hope we get to see both of those down the road.
pizzarat liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 5:46 pm A Vanity Fair article about Bill, Dan, and Winston's filming in the climax: the first part they shot was they 're launched into the side of Ecto-1, Bill riffing on Peter's stalling, Olivia Wilde breaking character, Wilde eating lunch with Hudson while she's in the Gozer suit, Jason encouraging Dan to join in on insulting Gozer, Bill teasing Ernie about the hidden mat under the dirt he's laying on, Bill's injury, and confirming Bob Gunton did the motion capture for Egon's ghost.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... ife-ending
Its interesting to hear Murray took a little while to get back into character. Seems like when you let Murray be Murray is when he really becomes Peter Venkman.

I don't think Murray was checked out of the film. I think its just an older Murray is gonna be abit less energized than he was.
Last edited by K_Centric0001 on November 23rd, 2021, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
While I agree that the logistics of the GBs arrival to the farm is in question, I vehemently maintain that their entrance was done pretty much perfectly.

Regarding those who wanted some kind of slow lead in, like with closeups or slow motion, etc. These are the "save the day at the last second" heroes. That abrupt intrusion into the scene is the big "hurrah!!!" moment. Like walking into a darkened room and having the lights fly on and all your loved ones jump up to yell "SURPRISE!" when you were all but sure no one remembered your birthday.

As for there being nothing between Phoebe and Ray's phone call up to their appearance - again, it's pretty obvious Ray called the other two right after that. And we know Winston is rich and...look, I'm not gonna spell it out again. Nothing about their appearance on the farm (except for lack of a transport vehicle being present) seems like it would take more than a few seconds of thought to figure out. Jumping back and forth to the GBs and the kids would not only add unnecessary run time, but it would also interrupt the main story. A lot of you have criticized their abrupt arrival as it is for disrupting the tension in the final showdown. So why would some clunky exposition about Ray talking to the other two and arranging a trip to Summerville be any different? It just takes away from the slow build up of tension as the story progresses further and further into darkness.
The crossing the streams bit did bug me, they did it in the first film to ignite a nuclear blast in HOPING it would close the interdimensional gates. Here they do it to Gozer just because? Gozer is supernatural, you can't kill it. Which brings up another crossing the streams moment: the mine. I guess crossing the streams prevents a well of souls from escaping?

I hope they don't use that in future films, the OGBs did it on a whim and were pretty sure they were gonna die in the explosion. Now it's a fix-all trope.
Sav C, tylergfoster liked this
Ryusui wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 11:12 am While I agree that the logistics of the GBs arrival to the farm is in question, I vehemently maintain that their entrance was done pretty much perfectly.

Regarding those who wanted some kind of slow lead in, like with closeups or slow motion, etc. These are the "save the day at the last second" heroes. That abrupt intrusion into the scene is the big "hurrah!!!" moment. Like walking into a darkened room and having the lights fly on and all your loved ones jump up to yell "SURPRISE!" when you were all but sure no one remembered your birthday.

As for there being nothing between Phoebe and Ray's phone call up to their appearance - again, it's pretty obvious Ray called the other two right after that. And we know Winston is rich and...look, I'm not gonna spell it out again. Nothing about their appearance on the farm (except for lack of a transport vehicle being present) seems like it would take more than a few seconds of thought to figure out. Jumping back and forth to the GBs and the kids would not only add unnecessary run time, but it would also interrupt the main story. A lot of you have criticized their abrupt arrival as it is for disrupting the tension in the final showdown. So why would some clunky exposition about Ray talking to the other two and arranging a trip to Summerville be any different? It just takes away from the slow build up of tension as the story progresses further and further into darkness.
I agree with all of your logic conclusions, but I think the point is, people were questioning these things because there were too many logic conclusions to make throughout the film, which pulled people out of the story.

Again, Ivan said the only reason Stay Puft worked was because we were able to suspend people's disbelief by that point in the film. I suppose the idea is the fans' disbelief is already suspended because we're used to this universe and its characters, but some parts of the film just didn't work that way. I did enjoy the film; but the logic jumps are a tough one.
Alphagaia, Wafflerobot liked this
My take on Ray’s comment about the Firehouse being a Starbucks. Most likely it was just a joke about how there are Starbucks everywhere.

Other possibilities - all we see is the inside garage area. It’s unlikely that would be used for anything other than a garage even in a Starbucks. It’s been decades since Ray has been there. It could be an closed and abandoned Starbucks now. It would explain how Winston got it so quickly.
Mercifull wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 8:46 am I'd have to watch it again but to counter some of your complaints...

Firehouse: a) are we sure its the same firehouse? Hook & Ladder 8 really could be a Starbucks. b) was this a comment made in jest? Theres a running joke in the UK that all our old bank branches are now Starbucks even though they aren't.
It's obviously supposed to be as the containment unit is there. I took it that Ray knew they lost the firehouse and merely heard it was being turned into a Starbucks and never went to see it. A simple explanation for a 4th film would be Winston bought it out and just kept it empty for years.
Mercifull liked this
I think the whole Starbucks line is something that is really nothing. Ray said that in jest because Starbucks are on every corner. That line got a laugh out of the crowd in the theatre when I saw the movie because everyone knows it’s a thing. Hell, where I live there is a Starbucks in the grocery store and across the parking lot, in the same shopping center, is an actual brick and mortar Starbucks. I think it was just a social commentary type line that would get a laugh.

But since we are GB fans and we love to dive deep, I do like the idea that he told Phoebe that as a way to keep a possible ghostbuster groupie away from the firehouse and containment unit. Especially given that as soon as she asks if he’s Ray Stantz the Ghostbuster he tells her he’s hanging up. Seems clear he’s tired of being questioned and/or hassled about that part of his life.

I also thought maybe it’s something he tells himself for closure, a reason not to go back to the firehouse because “it’s a Starbucks now.” It’s an easy thing to say when someone asks what happened that keeps you from reliving the pain associated with it. Being the heart of the ghostbusters I imagine having Egon “freak him out”, take the car, his pack and all the traps leaving the business to suffer and close would cut Ray pretty deep. So maybe that’s how Ray copes with it, and stays away. Who knows…
l3w1sb159 wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 8:42 am Just not entirely sure what they think will happen by crossing the streams directly at gozer? They know last time it resulted in a massive explosion that they barely survived so why lead with that. Especially when they are mere feet away from people they are trying to save?

Well 30 years has passed since then, for all we know crossing the streams has been refined into a more powerful but more controllable wrangler for more powerful ghosts. Vigo managed to repel 2 beams so maybe after that some research was done into the subject of a more powerful blast without blowing things up, after all the cyclotron has also visibly changed, and the only time we see the crossed streams having an explosive effect was with 4 wands, so maybe 3 is just enough to be a more powerful wrangler at this point without the risk of an explosion? :?:
Even though I know about the Starbucks joke I took Ray as literal. I thought it was meant to be a funny thing for us audience but it seemed like he was being literal on the film. I’ll have to wait for a rewatch. That said I’m good with Ray saying it in jest.

I think I heard the joke the first time in The Simpsons. And was shocked when I first saw 2 Starbucks in downtown Vancouver on adjacent corners of the same intersection
Today I was thinking about the circumstances of Egon's death, I started think about when janine said "Listen, I'm usually very psychic, and I have a terrible feeling that something awful is going to happen to you. I'm afraid you're going to die."

If she was getting that feeling from the presence of the terror dog in Louis she wasn't that far off.🥺
So many things to say, but honestly this movie's just come out and we've got all of eternity to pick it apart. I unabashedly loved it. Have already seen it more than once. Whatever faults it has, which sure it does every movie does, it wasn't enough to detract me from the story and the experience.

And as for the Egon/Ray fallout...human beings are complex characters and I have in real life had fallings out with close friends that I never thought I'd lose...it's just how life goes sometimes. Egon Spengler was an eccentric and I can imagine at a certain point Ray was more worried about the here and now, and maybe Egon was teetering on the edge of obsessive behavior towards Gozer. Remember...it's not like in GB2 Ray and Egon went into some joint venture together...we've literally already seen them go their separate ways once before. I think Egon's logical mind had him focused on the threat of Gozer so much that he dispensed with etiquette after a certain point and did what he had to do.

Maybe Ray wanted Egon to ask him to help, but maybe Egon got lost in his work. Maybe Egon leaving for Summerville was truly the final straw and acting out of pain, Ray turned his back.
Hmm, I thought the general rules about crossing the streams was never to do it in a normal bust like Slimer in the ballroom. In that case, crossing the streams would result in their deaths - total protonic reversal and probably a couple city blocks would be vaporized. But when you have something like the open interdimensional gateway atop 550 Central Park or the well of souls opening, crossing the streams gets a skewed result. The Temple of Gozer on 550 exploded (and took a few floors sure) and its flow reversed and shut but the Ghostbusters, Dana, and Louis survived. Crossing the streams in the array Egon set up above the well didn't result in the same kind of explosion because the array isn't shooting directly into it and instead turns it into a broken cuckoo clock until possessed Grooberson attacked the array of packs. And so with the OGBs crossing on Gozer, there's still the tremendous collection of ambient P.K.E. (the souls in the well and whatever ghosts attracted to the temple formed into the giant menacing cloud thing above the Farmhouse that gets trapped along with Gozer, Vinz, and Zuul) that also likely skewed the results and allowed for everyone to survive and not turn the farm into a giant crater.
Some interviews.

Logan Kim confirms Podcast's real name was in the script but it was decided never to reveal it.
https://www.avclub.com/ghostbusters-aft ... 1848104717

Mckenna wrote Haunted House in March, not for Ghostbusters at all, and sent it to Jason in hopes he would direct the music video but then he asked to use it for the Afterlife end credits.
https://ktla.com/entertainment/mckenna- ... new-music/

Adam Savage interviews Jason and tours Ghost Corps.

Also, Zaxby's promotion ends December 26.
https://www.fb101.com/zaxbys-teams-up-w ... afterlife/
Alphagaia, deadderek, Wafflerobot and 2 others liked this
I just watched a second viewing of Afterlife, and I liked it even more:

-I think the moment when Callie mentions that Phoebe found popcorn is personally significant, because we remember all the snacking that Egon did in the first film. Louis/Vinz sniffs and rolls the popcorn jar around his face.

-Jason Reitman mentioned studying the kind of scenes that make a GB film what it is: the interrupted date had to be an indirect reference to GBII.

-Callie is obviously pained when she refers to Egon as an "asshole", but this totally fits in when the Brownstone kid says that "you guys are full of crap" in GBII. Egon shining the light on the childhood photos of Callie is my favorite part of the entire film.
What's up Ghostheads! Been a while since I last posted. This past weekend I saw the new movie of course! My 8 year old son came with and got to enjoy it with me! He said he loved it! We talked about it all the way home! I loved it as well! It brought me back to my childhood! It definitely feels like the groundwork to future Ghostbuster projects. Just like everybody else, I have the same, and usual questions about the movie. Some other cool easter eggs I would have been satisfied to see would have been a TVG pack or a slime blower down in Egon's lab. Another thing I said, was about the Dana/Peter scene. It would have been cool to have Oscar maybe walking in from another room. I know... it's really reaching, but just so we got a little more nostalgia from Ghostbusters 2. On the other hand the more I think about it, I like the idea of leaving things a mystery. Either for later stories, or for our imagination. Jason is a very smart guy! His dream came true making this movie, and all of ours' did watching it! Cant wait for what's next!
I thought it was very well done. If you'd have told me before hand that the Ghostbusters would only be in it for a few minutes at the end I'd have been disappointed, but I thought the story was told so well that it was the perfect cameo. I think with child actors it is very easy to be annoyed by them so I give 100% credit to the cast, especially Mckenna Grace who I thought did an incredible job as Phoebe. There were a few plot holes and bits and pieces that weren't great, but it tugged on the emotions so much that they're easy to overlook. When you're a huge fan of a franchise and you wait so long for it I think it's very easy to go into a film like this with hopes set too high and with a critical eye ready to pounce on things you don't like, but it just gripped me, I became so invested in the characters so quickly, I wasn't just waiting for the GBs. I'm not ashamed to admit I was very choked up at the final scene.

There are a lot of things from my childhood I have remained passionate about throughout my life, Transformers and TMNT being two big ones. I have hated the recent films of those franchises. I'm not one to get too frustrated about it, the old stuff that I love is still there and there are still great new comics etc. being produced to satiate me, so for Ghostbusters: Afterlife to have been so enjoyable is a massive plus in my book. I saw the film on Friday and it still has me in a good mood as I type this in the wee hours of Wednesday morning. Oh, and my kids who are of the YouTube short attention span generation loved it and were gripped by every minute.
Mckenna Grace posted an old photo from principal. I think this was from the Turner Valley shoot.
https://twitter.com/MckennaGraceful/sta ... 9658513410

There is a straightened Slinky on Phoebe's night stand in her apartment bedroom in Chicago, a callback to Egon's line in Ghostbusters II about straightening part of one in his childhood.

The A.V. Club YouTube "Ghostbusters Afterlife interview: Jason and Ivan Reitman on Easter eggs" 00:41-00:48 11/19/2021]
Jason Reitman says: "And we had a straightened slinky on Phoebe's night table in Chicago at the beginning of the movie."

The barley field grown by the crew by the Farmhouse was harvested and sold after principal photography wrapped.

JTFPod YouTube "Ivan Reitman & Jason Reitman - Full Interview" 20:23-20:35 11/12/2021
Jason Reitman says: "By the way, by the way. When we wrapped shooting, we harvested the barley. We made it hulled. That's the one thing so far the Ghostbusters: Afterlife has made money on. We made money on our crop."

Paul Rudd and Carrie Coon improvised their characters' flirtation after Gary and Callie first meet in the Farmhouse.
JTFPod YouTube "Ivan Reitman & Jason Reitman - Full Interview" 23:10-23:35 11/12/2021
Jason Reitman says: "He and Carrie have a lovely moment where it's this-this flirtation in the Farmhouse after they first meet and they and they just came up with that-those beats whole cloth right in front of me and it was absolutely wonderful and they made Gil and I look like better writers and of course there's Bill Murray."

The "Gozerian clouds" were scanned from the original 65 millimeter cloud tank footage and the deleted takes of Mrs. Reitman, Catherine Reitman, and Jason Reitman's cameo fleeing from 550 Central Park West from the first Ghostbusters movie stored in salt mines in Kansas by the movie studio.
JTFPod YouTube "Ivan Reitman & Jason Reitman - Full Interview" 24:53-25:53 11/12/2021
Jason Reitman says: "And the truth is we asked for them, they were able to locate them almost immediately. We zeroed in on the scenes we wanted and we got everything from original dailies to 65 millimeter cloud tank footage that we used for those you know Gozerian clouds and we even found a piece of footage that truly, personally, was lost to history and those were the two takes that I originally was supposed to appear in Ghostbusters '84. I was cut out for reasons that one could possibly never understand and however, I, we scanned them and put them into Ghostbusters: Afterlife thus restoring my six-year-old performance back to where it belongs."

Also in that Tested interview, at the 20:25 mark, that was pretty funny Phoebe explaining to Trevor what a capacitor is was inspired a similar convo between Adam Savage and Jason Reitman. heh heh.
jonogunn wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 7:31 pm Not sure if you guys saw the other thread with an interview with Jason Reitman but Reitman doesn’t seem to have plans for an extended cut. He says the theatrical cut is his cut.

Yes, here's what Jason said if anyone missed it.
"I've always felt like the-the-the-the cut I release is my cut I've ever done a director's cut on one of my movies I'm proud of the way that we finish the films and it's hard for me to imagine when I look back at my other films, all I want to do is make them shorter. Not longer."
Corey91 liked this
Although he’s in the theatrical release promotion cycle, so may want to play down any alt cut talk… and an extended cut isn’t necessarily a director’s cut… and maybe they’re withholding such a thing until a later date…. But…

Honestly no extended cut really hurts. This movie needs connective tissue. Certain characters need rounding out. Some have plot points which were obviously cut, some aspects needed more of a setup.

Jason obviously cares a lot about the franchise and this project, and he has made some tremendous films, but I don’t know what happened here with Callie, Trevor & Lucky, foreshadowing shots, Sheriff Domingo, the abrupt arrival of the OG’s, mini pufts on the proton pack etc. (Are we genuinely relying on a Lego set to explain a plot point?)

I’ll give it time before a second watch - probably home release - to see if I have the same reaction Zorge did when viewing it without 30 years of expectation, but I’m a little bummed - pleased that everyone else is happy and it’s doing well at the box office but I can’t get past my film critic brain. Like… when Jason talks about feeling the magic in getting the right take.. I don’t get how the Callie & family eviction scene, or the Ray’s Occult phone call passed the magic test.

Again, having said all that. Huge respect and praise for Jason and the team - I’m glad they made the film they and most fans wanted. I’m still buying all the merch. At the least I hope they’re generous with deleted scenes so we can get a decent fan edit like with ATC.

Plus, y’know have a drinking game whenever Callie mentions hating science or her father.
One time, robbritton liked this
https://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/ghostbus ... 25905.html

Just read this glowing review. While again the movie isn't perfect, and was not made to cater to the whims of critics I wouldn't call it a limp lifeless disaster. While on the subject of a script, at least Afterlife had one. While this has been one of the tamer reviews iv'e read they do make some interesting points, although toungue in cheek.

If we do get a sequel green lit Jason needs to do a few things to keep Ghostbusters fresh:

Do not out right copy Ghostbusters II.

If Winston is going to be reviving the business do not suit him up again. Give him a mentor role. All the OG's do not need to return. I would like to see Ray with a smaller, but longer role. If we can get Janine back maybe she get's to keep an eye on the kids before they get in over their heads.

Either keep the summer school theme, or keep the kids occupied with regular school. Maybe start off the film with a ghost scaring kids at the school.

Develop the characters you already have, add one or very few new characters

There doesn't need to be a huge time jump. Maybe a year later we find that Grooberson is now married to Callie, or they are a couple now.

clean up the Ecto 1, restore it to Ecto 1-A. Lets have Winston use it as a "we're hiring" promotional tool rather then for Ghostbusting.

Add new Ghostbusting vehicles. Show the Jr's working on something between Ghostbusting and School stuff. Reveal their project at the end of the film.

If keeping the summer school theme have Callie taking over Rudds teaching duties as he's working with Winston to set up the new team.

Introduce the new hires, do a montage of busting ghosts set up the big bad but don't make it end of the world again.

Have the mini pufts back, but have them a little tame and maybe Pheobe or Podcast has one as a pet. Maybe at this point Lucky and Trevor are building up a headquarters away from the farm. Kind of like a Ghostbusters Jr. base. I don't think they need to continue using Egon's lab.

Build up to the big bad reveal, have the kids working with the new team for the ending. Keep Rudd's team wearing the regular uniform's and maybe have the Jr's. wearing different colors similar to RGB and their own name tags.Phoebe still wears the Spengler tag. Maybe use this as an opportunity to introduce new packs just built for the Jr's.

Just a few thought's on how to start things off.
There is going to have to be a big time jump - Mckenna Grace has grown a lot in the two years since they filmed the movie. She is 15 now. In an interview this week she mentioned her next movie is filming in about 6 months. She is playing a member of 1996 USA Women’s Gymnastics Team. She is already doing physical training to prepare.

I suspect we will hear something on sequel relatively soon. Largely so they can get her scheduled before she commits to other roles. She has been very busy since she started acting at a young age. As fantastic as she was in Afterlife she will be getting more and more offers for bigger and bigger parts.

If they do not move on this fast she could be an adult by the time a sequel films.

I do not think seeing Phoebe next as a teen in Middle or High School would really be bad. The character is so mature for he age. She is really a child prodigy. She could go to college early.
Second viewing yesterday.

The only doubt that I still have is: where the hell was Podcast when Callie and Gary freed the kids from prison?

I didn't mind the OGB appearing out of the blue, I didn't care how they arrived. I was just glad they were there.
You see it all in Ray's face when the phone call suddenly ends: "Egon's granddaughter? There must be something happening.. Better call the guys".

I think a sequel is guaranteed: Jason and Gil are admitting they have ideas to explore, Ernie said they started writing and box office is speaking. I'd like to see the OGB back, now they're of the "big surprise" burden and can use them as they like.
I would really love to see all the OG's back. However if Bill becomes difficult and try's to hold things up again they can really do it without him. Don't get me wrong I love Bill, but if it means holding the franchise up for another few decades no thank you. The end credits set up for Winston being involved in some capacity whether it's on screen or off screen. We get Winston back for sure.

If there has to be a time jump maybe we get an animated series filling in the gap. I would really love to see Dreamworks involved with a Troll Hunters type of animation style. An animated series could really have the OG's training the kids.

Hard to tell if it’s an actual black fligh[…]

Matty PKE Question...URGENT

Good morning everyone! I have a local toy colle[…]

Positron Props GB1 Pack Build

Awesome!! Good luck on your build! Tom's shell i[…]

Trailer posted for release for the Frozen Empire u[…]