Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
- the absence of the ivo shandor gozer cult involving the town citizen thing was a missed opportunity to make the story more interesting
- the fire house starbuck/post credits scene contradiction is just dumb
- Ray Stanz is not written right, I don't recognize him, Dan drinks too much vodka..
- Bill Murray is not emotionaly involved like the others OGs in this Movie
- lack of ghosts in a movie about ghosts ..
- Ivo Shandor 2 secs screen time , I mean come on ..
- Olivia Wilde as Gozer ... meh
- movie feels rushed and the editing is weird, like we are missing alot of meaninful scenes, bluray better be good
- not enough Paul Rudd
- Trevor and Lucky poorly written
- Gozer and Terrordogs all over again boring, should have made Ivo Shandor fusing with Gozer the vilain
- Almost evering interesting scenes are in the trailers, clips but shame on me for watching them
- Mini Puft should have come from stay pufts marshmallow man residues Egon collected and kept in his lab after they defeated him
-Egon took everything but the OGs arrives full equipped ... ?
- No Louis Tully
- No slimer ( should have shown him haunting Ray's occult book shop ...)
- No big baddy for the final battle

positive:

Liked Muncher's chase
Liked Egon's ghost interaction
Liked Phoebe and podcast
Liked Winston scenes
Liked every scene Paul Rudd is in

Jason may have the heart but lacks the skills of his father
tylergfoster liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 6:00 pm
Alex Newborn wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 7:35 am Ah! Sounds like she's referring to this quick shot from one of the social media trailers, which isn't in the final film.

Dang. Anyone remember which social media trailer this was?
I think it was on the official Ghostbusters Twitter maybe instagram.
mrmichaelt liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 7:58 pm
Bison256 wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 6:17 pm I think it was on the official Ghostbusters Twitter maybe instagram.
Didn't find it on their twitter or facebook. Instagram I can't get into because I get that annoying login popup. Sigh.
FWIW, I went through almost every video on their IG up through January of this year and couldn't find that shot.
mrmichaelt liked this
Not sure if I'm sure late to the party here but I think Callie was one of Egon's experiments. Pretty sure on the notes that are with all of her pictures on wall you can see "subject". Could be a good reason why she was never mentioned; he didn't want any outside contamination or skewed results, he needed to watch/study from afar.
Ryusui wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 8:37 pm
mrmichaelt wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 7:58 pm
Didn't find it on their twitter or facebook. Instagram I can't get into because I get that annoying login popup. Sigh.
FWIW, I went through almost every video on their IG up through January of this year and couldn't find that shot.
I have the entire video saved. I can upload it to my own YouTube account with an Unlisted setting if anyone wants to see it.

The full video is a little over a minute, but this unused shot of Phoebe is only .9 of a second long. She's looking at the wand and blinks, as the camera does a slight leftward movement around her.

Alex
Alex Newborn wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 9:30 pm
I have the entire video saved. I can upload it to my own YouTube account with an Unlisted setting if anyone wants to see it.

The full video is a little over a minute, but this unused shot of Phoebe is only .9 of a second long. She's looking at the wand and blinks, as the camera does a slight leftward movement around her.
Thanks, Alex. I'd appreciate that. What date do you have on your copy of the video OR did you DL it long after it was first posted? Just looking any kind of clue.
robbritton wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 5:49 am
mrmichaelt wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 5:42 am Count me on the bandwagon of those who loved the movie a lot.

Loved that Sigourney Weaver apparently only does endings for GB movies now. heh heh.

So when they ended on the shot of the Containment Unit, who else thought the dock would open and Slimer would fly out? lol. I think the square red button being on only meant the the entry grid was set (then you press the middle one to neutronize the field then push the lever down, then the bottom square button and and caged light above the unit go green). And then when the grid was shut off, that red square button came on but didn't blink, it was also a solid red, in this end tag nor did the alarm go off. So if the former, is it a metaphor for the franchise going in a new direction now that Winston is reviving it (entry grid set=new path in life set) or the latter, alluding to the unit faulting and releasing the ghosts in it?

And I only had 2 nitpicks about the movie: Shandor didn't need to be in the movie and his inclusion in it was overly gratuitous. And I didn't care for how the voices of Gozer and the Terror Dogs, when they were in possession of Gary and Callie, sounded.
Oh, I was certain a green arm was about to pop out of the ECU! Really threw me when it didn't!
I was expecting bricks to fly out of the wall with lights coming out of it!!!!
mrmichaelt liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 10:13 pm
Alex Newborn wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 9:30 pm

Thanks, Alex. I'd appreciate that. What date do you have on your copy of the video OR did you DL it long after it was first posted? Just looking any kind of clue.
That's the perplexing part. I can't find it in my video downloader program's queue, and when I checked its properties, it says I've had it since January of 2020, so obviously something's glitched in the metadata.

I can say however that it was in my archive sometime before October 22nd, because I used it in a recut of the trailers that I uploaded (again in an Unlisted setting) the same day as the HasbroPulse clip of Phoebe testing the pack first became available.

Here's the link. Check out which frame YouTube auto-selected for the thumbnail.

Alex
Last edited by Alex Newborn on November 22nd, 2021, 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrmichaelt, doney84 liked this
Alex Newborn wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 10:39 pm That's the perplexing part. I can't find it in my video downloader program's queue, and when I checked its properties, it says I've had it since January of 2020, so obviously something's glitched in the metadata.

I can say however that it was in my archive sometime before October 22nd, because I used it in a recut of the trailers that I uploaded (again in an Unlisted setting) the same day as the HasbroPulse clip of Phoebe testing the pack first became available.

Alex
Hmm, okay, the vertical trailer. Only a few social media site's did that size. Facebook and Tik Tok?

And that looks like the time of Trailer 2 when they first showed those shots of them going into the mine, right?
jaypakavelya wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 5:55 pm - the absence of the ivo shandor gozer cult involving the town citizen thing was a missed opportunity to make the story more interesting
- the fire house starbuck/post credits scene contradiction is just dumb
- Ray Stanz is not written right, I don't recognize him, Dan drinks too much vodka..
- Bill Murray is not emotionaly involved like the others OGs in this Movie
- lack of ghosts in a movie about ghosts ..
- Ivo Shandor 2 secs screen time , I mean come on ..
- Olivia Wilde as Gozer ... meh
- movie feels rushed and the editing is weird, like we are missing alot of meaninful scenes, bluray better be good
- not enough Paul Rudd
- Trevor and Lucky poorly written
- Gozer and Terrordogs all over again boring, should have made Ivo Shandor fusing with Gozer the vilain
- Almost evering interesting scenes are in the trailers, clips but shame on me for watching them
- Mini Puft should have come from stay pufts marshmallow man residues Egon collected and kept in his lab after they defeated him
-Egon took everything but the OGs arrives full equipped ... ?
- No Louis Tully
- No slimer ( should have shown him haunting Ray's occult book shop ...)
- No big baddy for the final battle

positive:

Liked Muncher's chase
Liked Egon's ghost interaction
Liked Phoebe and podcast
Liked Winston scenes
Liked every scene Paul Rudd is in

Jason may have the heart but lacks the skills of his father
I don't mind them using Gozer plot again, I think it makes Egon's warnings seem less believable, Ray probably thought "Why would Gozer be back if we vanished it from this dimension already". But I would've loved it if the whole town was part of the cult, I first thought Sheriff Domingo wanted to stop the kids from defeating Gozer, I really liked that idea.
mrmichaelt wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 10:47 pm
Alex Newborn wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 10:39 pm That's the perplexing part. I can't find it in my video downloader program's queue, and when I checked its properties, it says I've had it since January of 2020, so obviously something's glitched in the metadata.

Alex
Hmm, okay, the vertical trailer. Only a few social media site's did that size. Facebook and Tik Tok?

And that looks like the time of Trailer 2 when they first showed those shots of them going into the mine, right?
Youtube Shorts are also vertical but I don't think they can be longer than a minute. Also sorry for the double post I posted 4 minutes after you.
GhostFaceX wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 5:05 pm Anyone else feel like any scene with Lucky was the worst part? Literally no personality or charisma. Please don’t be in a sequel.
noticed a lot of dislikes...but is anyone really going to say they actually liked her character?
deadderek liked this
GhostFaceX wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 11:59 pm
GhostFaceX wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 5:05 pm Anyone else feel like any scene with Lucky was the worst part? Literally no personality or charisma. Please don’t be in a sequel.
noticed a lot of dislikes...but is anyone really going to say they actually liked her character?
I did, although I think that there were probably some deleted scenes that would have given her more of a character arc. I related to her being stuck in a small town that she wanted to get out of…
A slight, but possibly important article for anyone who thought the film was disrespectful to Harold Ramis: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... tbmPj-1cz8

Not saying it proves anyone wrong in their feelings, just offers a different perspective and I love the last line!
Sav C, jonogunn, Alphagaia and 3 others liked this
GhostFaceX wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 11:59 pm
I neither liked or disliked her. Though I thought she was a bit bland, most of the time.
EctoLabs wrote:Watched the movie again this afternoon and, I have to say, I enjoyed it soooo much more the second time around! Saw it this time in a lovely new cinema in East London, and had the entire screen to ourselves as it was a Monday afternoon. It felt like a private screening!

I guess so much expectation over such a long time really affected my first viewing. Plus, immersing myself in GB stuff so much everyday since I started my little business probably didn't help make the film's shift in overall tone as easy to accept.

It didn't take away the issues I have with the script, but they weren't as jarring to me as before. I also found the whole movie considerably funnier and pacier for some reason.

I actually now realise that repeating the Gozer stuff in the way is does was actually a fairly clever thing, bearing in mind Jason and Gil needed to re-introduce the lore of Ghostbusters after 32 YEARS. Doing that in a sequel, as opposed to a remake or reboot, is no mean feat when they clearly need to appeal to newcomers to the GB as well as established fans. Now the franchise is finally free to continue without the constant callbacks and over-reliance on the past. And that's something really exciting.

Actually, this could have been written by me because I had that exact same experience yesterday when I went and watched it again.

I liked it way better, i was alone in the cinema because it was a monday late night screening and I also felt that the issues weren't as jarring (more on that below).

When I watched it for the first time I was totally tensed up because I waited 30 years for this movie. This time I was totally relaxed and paid more attention to the stuff that bugged me while watching the first time around.

Therefore I will cite my old post and argue with my old self:

- What was that sentinel terror dog about?

This has been talked about in the thread, the sentinel dogs are the spectral forms of the regular dogs

- Why would Egon just sit in that chair knowing this thing would come inside?

Upon second viewing it looks like he absolutely has a plan and that is shocking the dog. He already captured and hid one, therefore Gozer couldn’t be freed and now he only had to fight off the other one, which he clearly manages by shocking it (dog screams and flys off) unfortunately Egon dies from a heart attack from all this stress

- Why did the grid fail when Egon tried to activate it? He never made any mistakes in his calculations, why now ?

I guess his calculations were on point as always, it was the electrical power that failed him

- How did he manage to catch the terror dog when it was inside the well (and it immediately returned there after release)?

This point still holds up I think

- When the terror dog gets released from the trap, why does it have the horns upward like the sentinel terror dog?

See above

- Why and how is Ivo Shandor alive and who put him there ? Did Egon not care about him when he installed the proton packs in the mine ?

He only really comes alive when the well overflows (dead rising from the grave anyone?). From his story you could tell that he was very rich and had his cult following him so I guess it wasn’t hard for him to arrange him being put there after his death.
Why should Egon care about him? He was just dead and laying there, he probably thought it was interesting and moved on because Shandor wasn’t a threat.

- who put the coming years onto the wall and where was that knowledge gathered ?

the people that built the temple put the years on the wall and they probably gathered the knowledge through the same source where they read how to build the temple.
Also if I remember and interpret Podcasts dialogue correctly the mural/temple erected itself in the mine (did I get that right ?)

- Who stopped the other crossrips/Gozer comings in the past from 1984 downward?

this question still holds up

- why is there no explosion when the streams are being crossed automatically in the mine on a constant basis? Egon himself said every molecule in your body explodes at the speed of light if the streams are crossed. in the first movie the explosion is so big that it even splatters the marshmallow man

This really bugged me and so it was a scene where I paid extra attention to detail on second viewing. At the first viewing I thought the streams were crossed levelled above the well, acting as a barricade. On second viewing the streams are being crossed at an angle that leads to the crossed streams going downward into the well and thrusting the whole energy into it and I guess the explosion happens in the “lava of souls” or whatever is cooking up there. Therefore the earthquakes happen and the released explosion energy pushes the overcooking back down.

- How come Phoebe doesn’t believe in ghosts and then suddenly does without an explanation?

This has been talked about before, she is a scientist and if evidence is presented that proves something is real, why question it? Egon clearly interacts with her and that instantly makes her a believer because she saw the evidence with her own eyes and judges it without emotion

- Why is Muncher there in the factory (or whatever it is) when there hasn’t been a ghost sighting in 30 years and no ghosts can escape out of the well because of the mounted stream crossing?

I think Kingpin said it right, he gets “summoned” because the well starts to overflow and ghosts start to show up (kind of like in the first movie)

- Why do they have to keep driving once the stream has gotten a hold of Muncher ? Should that not stop him from moving forward?

This one has been talked about before as well. He is a class 5 and he seems pretty strong (even biting himself free from the stream). More streams might have helped and also you can’t forget that Phoebe is a twelve year old kid and a twelve year old can never have the overall body strength of an adult to hold the stream.

- Why would (out of all beings in the GB universe) Ray be the one to not believe or help out Egon when he talked about another crossrip ?! And why would someone like Egon leave everyone behind, steal the equipment and go out on his own after everything that happened?!

This is the thing that probably bothered me the most upon first viewing so I paid extra extra double extra attention to every detail. While I watched the movie for the first time, Rays first line about Egon shocked me so hard that I could barely pay concentrated attention to the rest of the conversation because it is very important what is being said.
Ray said he wanted to believe Egon when Egon called him for the first time after disappearing 10 (!) years prior and then wants to go into detail but the sheriff hangs up the phone.
I think that Ray actually knew that Egon was right (because he always was), but was just so deep in grief after 10 years without contact, that he blew him off. After the phone is being hung up, you can see IT ALL in Rays face (stellar job by Aykroyd): This is the confirmation that Egon was right and Ray is absolutely sad and sorry that Egon has passed and he couldn’t make up with him before his death and also that he has to get the guys to help out with this.

- If Egon took all the equipment when he left, how can the OGs be in full gear when they show up? Are those the packs from the mine ? If so, how did they get it or knew they were there ? Why and how do they even show up out of the blue and arrive just in time?

Egon did not take all of the equipment, he only took all of the traps, misheard it on first viewing. They can show up in full gear because they have always had it. The packs are theirs.
Them showing up out of the blue kind of holds up because the timing is just a little bit too perfect (but it is a movie, so I guess it’s ok for dramatic purposes).

- When Gozer shows up she does absolutely nothing but sit there on the throne ? Whats the agenda? Doesn’t the traveller show up in one of the pre chosen forms as the destructor? Whatever happened to that ? What are the rules for this?

Since Gozer is a god I think that it wouldn’t make sense for her to run around and ask people to choose a form. Like a king she sits on the throne and waits for people to come to her. When Phoebe arrives, Gozer thinks she wants to sacrifice her because she clearly doesn’t seem to be threatening her

- Why do the OGs just casually try to cross the streams on Gozer ? In the first movie they did it to reverse the particle flow through the gate and therefore close it. Here they just want to blow everything up or what?

I guess that really is the plan. They thought they can’t catch Gozer and also they didn’t have a trap anyway, so they decided (probably beforehand and off screen already) that they will cross the streams and aim at Gozer so the explosion will blow Gozer up just like when Gozer was the Marshmallow Man. I mean what else could they do? They did not know how the situation will play out and how the logistics were at the farm. Crossing the streams is basically the only “superweapon” they have.

- The whole Gozer Showdown situation comes off as too comical, too Real Ghostbusters like to me. In the first two movies the villain was always presented as a real threat to the guys and to the world. I did not have that feeling here at all.

On the second viewing I totally don’t know why I felt like it was too comical, loved everything about it on second viewing. Sure Gozer doesn’t come off as a threat but if you pay real good attention you can actually see that Gozer seems to be afraid (body language, keeping hands over the dogs) of the OGs. Everyone of the OGs does a stellar job in revitalizing these characters. Aykroyds face mimic is totally Ray. And Murray as Venkman is as if he never left. Some people complained about the lack of emotion towards Egons ghost, but this is not Bill Murray reacting to Harold Ramis’ ghost, it’s Peter Venkman reacting to Egon Spenglers ghost and that reaction is absolutely in character. Peter Venkman has been making snarky remarks in the face of the end of the world almost 40 years ago and has never been that emotional on the outside (maybe on the inside but covering it up through jokes) so I think Murray absolutely nailed it. Ernie Hudson is also absolutely in character as Winston and I really like his reaction towards Egons ghost and also his overall presentation in the end credit scene.

I also have a theory about the dogs and their spectral form/manifestation out of the wall:
When the time is imminent and the well starts flowing (whatever higher rule (years on the wall) triggers that) the dogs become powerful enough to take their physical form, go out and possess someone and so forth and summon Gozer. Before that they have their spectral form and actually are (like the name says) “sentinels” of the temple etc. That is why they are outside of the well and Egon can catch one.

This is a long text and I want to thank everybody for reading and if you want to, discuss the points.

Overall after the second viewing this thing grew on me more than I could have thought, absolutely loved everything this time around. Yes it is not perfect, but to me it is a masterpiece and seeing it again opened my eyes. I suggest everyone to see it again that was skeptical upon first watch.
robbritton, jonogunn, CaptainAssholay and 1 others liked this
TheManEatingToaster wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 10:54 pm Youtube Shorts are also vertical but I don't think they can be longer than a minute. Also sorry for the double post I posted 4 minutes after you.
Thanks. Hmm, it's still advertising Summer 2020, so it has to be between December 09, 2019 and March 30, 2020 before the date was changed to March 2021. I think.
Bison256 wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 6:13 am Shandor wasn't alive, he was a Revanent. Notice how he only came to life when the "souls" got close to the surface. His soul/ghost, reanimated his preserved dead body.
Absolutely loved his head turn, though. That was great.

Just wished he didn't have to split.
Timo liked this
mrmichaelt wrote:A Vanity Fair article about Bill, Dan, and Winston's filming in the climax: the first part they shot was they 're launched into the side of Ecto-1, Bill riffing on Peter's stalling, Olivia Wilde breaking character, Wilde eating lunch with Hudson while she's in the Gozer suit, Jason encouraging Dan to join in on insulting Gozer, Bill teasing Ernie about the hidden mat under the dirt he's laying on, Bill's injury, and confirming Bob Gunton did the motion capture for Egon's ghost.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... ife-ending
“Danny and Ernie and I together, not in separate scenes, but TOGETHER—there’s a force.” —Bill Murray

My heart. :love:
*NormalGamer*, Merrimon liked this
Alphagaia wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 6:17 am Absolutely loved his head turn, though. That was great.

Just wished he didn't have to split.
It probably wouldn’t have worked for a whole load of reasons but having Shandor absorb the power of Gozer and become a demonic vessel / physical manifestation for her would’ve allowed for a slightly different visualisation of the character compared to the first film. Could’ve played out exactly the same way except instead of Olivia Wilde you have JK Simmons with red eyes doing a menacing lightning walk. I would’ve liked that anyway, no offence to Gozer.
jonogunn, Alphagaia liked this
GhostbustersZorge wrote: - Why do the OGs just casually try to cross the streams on Gozer ? In the first movie they did it to reverse the particle flow through the gate and therefore close it. Here they just want to blow everything up or what?

I guess that really is the plan. They thought they can’t catch Gozer and also they didn’t have a trap anyway, so they decided (probably beforehand and off screen already) that they will cross the streams and aim at Gozer so the explosion will blow Gozer up just like when Gozer was the Marshmallow Man. I mean what else could they do? They did not know how the situation will play out and how the logistics were at the farm. Crossing the streams is basically the only “superweapon” they have.
It's not so much "What else could they do?", I chalked it up to the OGBs being a little over-confident. Bill Murray actually does a good job of wearing that confidence on his face, like "We got you before like this, we'll get you again".
GhostbustersZorge liked this
Just not entirely sure what they think will happen by crossing the streams directly at gozer? They know last time it resulted in a massive explosion that they barely survived so why lead with that. Especially when they are mere feet away from people they are trying to save?

Also a random side note:
As their entrance was a bit janky- just a "hey you!" And cut to them just stood there and then proceed to smack talk and slowly turn on their packs while gozer just watches, could have been a bit more "f*** yeah!"

For example I had thought instead of that, it cuts from the scene of gozer about to give the kids the electric finger(sounds a bit wrong I know) then to a wide low angle shot from further away, possibly slow motion?, of the OG's legs as they walk towards the scene. And as an homage to the "Got your stick" scene cuts to a closeup of a thrower being pulled, then to close up of maybe the cyclotron as they turn the packs on ( the sound possibly catches the attention of gozer- a quick cut to her looking towards the source of the sound) then closeups of the throwers as they extend the barrels and then open fire on gozer to knock her away from the kids. Then coming in with the "have you missed us" line or whichever before the riffing?

Might be a bit too much fan fiction-y but I think that kind of entrance would have delivered a more impactful return for the original characters?
:blush:

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]