Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Alphagaia wrote: November 19th, 2021, 2:44 am Sorry for hijacking the thread, but could anyone who is friends with Richardless contact me ASAP?

I just got a PM from his sister wanting to get in contact with his friends on here.
No apologies necessary Alpha, I was just about to post this the same moment you did:

I know this is off-topic, but as he was an avid participant in the discussion of Ghostbusters: Afterlife I wanted to point to an update on how RichardLess is doing: LINK

If you can spare a moment to visit that topic, I'm sure he and his sister would appreciate it.
mrmichaelt, Alphagaia, Davideverona and 1 others liked this
First impressions / thoughts:

The positive:

McKenna Grace's performance was perfect
Cinematography was top notch
Muncher and the chase sequence in general was a solid action set piece
The Mini Pufts
The opening sequences with Egon
Phoebe's confrontation with Gozer
Logan Kim & Celeste O'Connor also nailed the humour and tone
What little Paul Rudd there is in the movie was, well... Paul Rudd!
SFX were great
J Reitman's direction as bankable as ever with great shots and sequences.

When it all came together it did feel like a modern Amblin flick. A lot of the quips landed. McKenna Grace was exceptional and carries the movie. Unfortunately the extent to which she carries the movie I'll talk about in a moment. Logan Kim is one to watch but the name Podcast was not justified by a punchline or explanation, other than being a Goonies reference once-removed. Celeste O'Connor wasn't given much to do, and I thought her performance hinted at a lot of comic potential. Rudd was phoning it in a little, but that's fine given his role.

The main positive is the concept behind the movie was solid, the location move felt fresh and the character of Phoebe is perfect with a ton of potential in the future, same for "Podcast" (I don't wanna call him that - was waiting for a scene near the end where he drops the name and introduces his real name)

Now on to the negative (oh boy!):

The script. This is important.
The OG Ghostbusters
Carrie Coon & Finn Wolfhard
The overlaboured call backs (Who you gonna call? Twinkie / Crunch)
The score is intrusive during the early part of the movie. Partially due to too much dead air in the script.
The final twenty minutes

So... after the excellent Egon tease, the opening introduction to the Spenglers fumbles out of the gate. Carrie Coon is a tremendous actress and her monologue at the end of The Leftovers made me well-up and was the pinnacle of the entire series. Here, at least in this cut, she is given nothing to work with and her character is so joyless it drains the life from every scene and from Paul Rudd who is inexplicably smitten with this boring alcoholic. The early exchange between Callie and her landlord is this unnatural expository dump (#1) and for the first fifteen minutes the dialogue is discordant and did not land.
The script settles itself and raises a handful of laughs mainly thanks to Phoebe, and makes reference to it's own lack of comedy, but it needed another pass or several, and it needed a comedy writer to give it a once over. Like how Phoebe Waller-Bridger was brought in to spice up the No Time To Die script. Similarly, Finn Wolfhard was hilarious in IT, but doesn't deliver here and it's a shame, he's either miscast or having an off-day or just can't make his lines funny.

So the movie is this Amblin-esque spooky adventure with an uneven script, and had it followed through, I could forgive it's shortcomings would rate it warmly as a 3/5 and great springboard for sequels.

Unfortunately, the movie derails itself, starting with that phone call to Dan Aykroyd for exposition dump #2. Firstly, hearing Ray say "Egon Spengler can go to hell" tonally, hurt the movie in the same way Callie's character brought the movie down. It did not sit well with me and it was too much of a downer. It was not given enough explanation to work. These exposition dumps reminded me of Raimi's Spider-man 3, where the intention or ideas were solid, but the execution was rushed rather than fleshed out. It also makes ZERO sense that Ray's character would doubt and resent Egon. None. That isn't respecting the characters. I understand the motivation for this thematically with the idea of generational rift, bitterness and forgiveness, the parallels with Murray & Ramis... but these topics are such huge downers that you can't shortcut your way through them in what is otherwise a light film aimed at a younger audience, but even moreso when the characters needed to tell that story arc, the OG Ghostbusters, simply aren't available for your movie... it's amazing to me this wasn't picked up at test screenings and Aykroyd's dialogue re-written and shot.

The final twenty minutes lose all integrity or semblance of an Amblin flick and it becomes some sort of meta fan-service, the OG's inclusion being no different from their cameos in the previous movie. This does a disservice to the performances of McKenna Grace and Logan Kim. I would rather the film haven no cameos and focus on Phoebe with hints of Egon's ghost, or feature Winston or Ray alone, but as a member of the central cast, than the extended cameos we get here.

Gozer was also a mistake, with little worthwhile material derived from the re-hash. The fan rumour of the containment equipment failing, and Egon having stored it out on in the middle of nowhere, would've served a much better smaller scale MacGuffin for Phoebe to overcome and connect with Egon's ghost. Everything to do with OG Ghostbusters was handled badly outside of Winston re-opening the firehouse in the post-credits.

Unanswered questions:
Was the firehouse a Starbucks or not?
Where do they store the ghosts?
How do they get back out of Egon's lab once they've slid down the pole?
How did Trevor fail 3 driving tests at 15?
What was the pay-off for Grooberson's seismology expedition to Summerville?
Why was Ivo Shandor even there?
What is Podcast's real name?
Where did the Mini Pufts come from?
What was Trevor's story arc?
Did Callie overcome her alcoholism?

There is a glimmer of hope an extended cut can smooth over some of the scripts rougher moments, but I don't see how it can redeem the finale.

Final Summary

I came out of this feeling similar to '16, but oddly having enjoyed it slightly less. It's just as non-canon to me. It's especially frustrating because they got so many elements right, eg. the Phoebe obtuse joke is SOLID GOLD, but then they fluffed the ending. A sequel retaining Phoebe and Podcast, Winston and Janine - which moves the action to New York... that could work, but NO MORE CALLBACKS PLEASE.

So... this is a 2/5 from me, hoping there is an extended cut which boosts it to a 3/5.
Last edited by Chicken, He Clucked on November 19th, 2021, 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
robbritton, Alphagaia, starang11 and 3 others liked this
This movie was an 11/10 for me.

Leaving the fan service to one side. Just how thought out Afterlife is. It is everything that GB1 was but dialed up to modern standards.

-It is funnier. I cried actual tears of laughter at some of the scenes

-You genuinely believe Phoebe is as smart as Egon was

-How her mother is such a great contrast to her

-The fact that Egon’s Ghost is made obnoxious and funny as opposed to what you’d expect from a human ghost in movies (creepy, vague, subtle, etc.) It was the perfect choice.

-Grooberson is portrayed as “every GB fan on the planet.” Look carefully at his character. He is Ray, Egon, Venkman and Winston rolled up into one. He is as childlike as Ray “whoa killer replica”, smart like Egon and has Venkmans wit and mannerisms as well as Winston’s common sense. That character was very thought out.

-The attention to detail to make even the props look more realistic than in GB1. The PKE having lost the yellow light bulbs but featuring a variety of whitebalanced lights in the wings. It adds nuance to the prop that wasn’t there in GB1.

-The RTV trap is something typical what GB1 would have done. Especially how it's so frenetic and always on this side of going out of control and smashing into something.

-How the movie positions Egon as the leading / main Ghostbuster now. Instead of Bill Murray. Harold Ramis being deceased, the character of Egon can be used whenever needed instead of trying to convince Murray do do anything. That was very strategic of the studio.

The only thing I didn’t like in the movie was muncher. It looked a bit dumb.

And for some reason I genuinely didn’t understand who the old guy in the beginning scene was. I thought it was Grooberson from the future or something. It didn’t really look like Egon.
Last edited by One time on November 20th, 2021, 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kingpin liked this
It is a strange, chopped up mess. After the muncher bust, it starts skipping so abruptly from scene to scene that I have to assume there is a huge amount of cuts made. The OG's showing up randomly, while the kid inside of me loved every bit of it, made zero sense within the story as presented.

As much as Jason was saying this was a "love letter" to the fans - I don't think he got it. It did not feel like a natural continuation of the original story. Heck, there were, what - 2 ghosts besides Muncher, Gozer and the Terror dogs? Isn't this a story about GHOSTS?

Egon going rouge, stealing all of the equipment and Ecto-1 and screwing the rest of the guys (who now, suddenly, don't believe anything he is saying??) seems more out of character than him being a deadbeat dad.

I know he'll never publicly disparage the film or his son - but I'd love to know if Ivan was actually happy with this story.
Sav C, Chicken, He Clucked and -1 others liked this
ZedR wrote: November 19th, 2021, 4:04 am I know he'll never publicly disparage the film or his son - but I'd love to know if Ivan was actually happy with this story.
Whatever we might think of this movie, I'm sure Ivan is proud what Jason did here.
I'll be posting my review when it's done, but I think the delay and studio trying to add things during the delay is responsible for some of the mess in the last act. He probably had to cut a lot of stuff for time.
The Reitmans made this movie together, for them it was a labor of love, and it feels unfair to blame Jason while somehow elevating Ivan, especially as we don't know the decision making to fit this story in the allotted timeframe.
Sav C liked this
We made it! I'm still in shock that I finally got to see a third Ghostbusters movie.

Knowing full well this was going to be a very different type of movie than 1 and 2, I had a great time, even if I didn't quite love it in the end. I'm extremely grateful it wasn't released straight to streaming during the pandemic. The things nagging me the most as I left:

1) I found bringing back all of the Gozer stuff was overkill - I think they could have easily had Egon investigating some type of new threat before his untimely passing, and then still have the rest of the movie play out in a similar way, but without a third act that felt like a sped-up remix of the original's third act. With a different actress Gozer didn't look the same which was just distracting, and going from battling Gozer on a NYC rooftop (with a huge crowd cheering them on) to...quietly battling Gozer behind a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere...it just felt odd to me. And what was with Shandor? Did I miss something there, or was his presence completely pointless? And seeing how Egon had been down there rigging the packs, did he just leave Shandor laying there? (Though his head turning and Podcast freaking out was a great moment.)

2) The Ray/Phoebe conversation just felt odd and rubbed me the wrong way. The "Egon Spengler can go to hell" line had a whiff of Luke tossing the lightsaber in The Last Jedi, like it was there just to jolt the fans. Ray dives into their history without even asking who he's talking to. He mentions the firehouse is gone, which is clearly not true in the end. And we're to take it that his friendship with Egon completely evaporated because Egon became obsessed with the end of the world happening - this coming from Ray who was always a believer and has a tattoo from Revelation on his arm?

3) I can't help but laugh at all the time we spent debating certain logistics around the OGs (mainly what they've been doing and how they physically arrive in Summerville) when apparently Jason & co. didn't worry about that stuff at all - they basically materialized out of thin air right at the last second. How did they get there? And they had their equipment with them - didn't Ray make it seem over the phone that Egon had taken everything? I hope we're not supposed to believe they got the packs from the mine in the 3 minutes between the kids leaving there and when they show up at the house. I'll need at least another viewing or two to digest that scene, but I thought Venkman had a few good lines. (And the two credit scenes, amazing)

4) And lastly, Egon - even knowing about the opening scene and his reappearance at the end, I was not prepared for how heavy-handed they would be with all that stuff. A chess piece moving overnight, cool. The pieces moving and floating right in front of Phoebe, lamps and furniture moving, just not subtle at all.

After a year and a half of delays I feel like we'll be digesting and nitpicking this one for at least that long afterward, but as a fan I'm just thrilled to finally have a new movie to do that with.

robbritton - agreed about the score, it sounded great in places but way too heavy on recycling cues from the first movie. I've seen a lot of people trash the GB2 score over the years, but I appreciated that it was different and helped set it apart from the first one.
I'd bank that down the road, if there's enough road, Murray will speak out against this movie, it's depiction of Harold and lack of comedy.

Also imagine how much the first act would've been improved if Callie was a single mum, totally happy and bossing it. The friction with Phoebe added nothing and didn't especially make sense beyond "Boo hoo my dad chose science". The whole movie suffers from these broad strokes.
Sav C liked this
starang11 wrote: November 19th, 2021, 4:46 am

2) The Ray/Phoebe conversation just felt odd and rubbed me the wrong way. The "Egon Spengler can go to hell" line had a whiff of Luke tossing the lightsaber in The Last Jedi, like it was there just to jolt the fans. Ray dives into their history without even asking who he's talking to. He mentions the firehouse is gone, which is clearly not true in the end. And we're to take it that his friendship with Egon completely evaporated because Egon became obsessed with the end of the world happening - this coming from Ray who was always a believer and has a tattoo from Revelation on his arm?
I was about to type the exact same thing. He has the Revelations 6:12 tattoo yet all of a sudden Egon is a lunatic? This whole Ray telephone thing felt like it was shot as an emergency backup or even a reshoot. Tonally it was so different to what we saw before.

Reading all your reviews and comments I had another thought. As a direct sequel to GB1 and 2, I think the video game story is superior. It ties up loose ends. As a legacy 10-20 to now 30 years later, what we got with Afterlife is the right way.

One more thing: the ecto goggles. Podcast wears them all the time, but it's never explained where they come from all of a sudden and what they actually do.

And the book he reads, which apparently explains everything about Gozer and its minions. WTF? Who wrote that? Just too convenient...
Wafflerobot, Sav C liked this
I really only had one issue with it and that was Ray’s fallout with Egon and not believing him. Ray is a true believer and exactly the kind of person who would listen to any crazy story.

It was pretty good. If you walked in expecting to see a comedy film with some of the 80’s biggest comedy stars firing on all cylinders than you will be disapointed. 2016 tired to remake the first film and it didnt work. At least this one tried a different formula and I think it worked great.
Egon not being subtle was great and a breath of fresh air. It was like “no, I really am here. No mystery here. Now follow me.” And Phoebe gets it.

Did anyone catch the maid sign in his lab?

Podcast was truly annoying.

Lucky was an absolute non-character. More like a filler. I wouldn’t have minded Trevor as much had they picked someone else to play him.

The soundtrack was pretty bad.

But I really loved the movie. It just feels so weird how different it feels from Ghostbusters II. Just like entirely different sequels.
One time liked this
I have a feeling Lucky was supposed to find out her father was a Gozer worshipper, since she admits she is 4th generation trash/crap/forgot the right word, and that's also why she is doing nothing with her life so far, as her father expects things to end soon.

Could even be that her father is in the house holding the GB hostage and she saves them to get that proton pack she is suddenly holding, with the older taking longer to suit up, but I'm just fan fixing things here.
GhostFaceX, Sav C liked this
i liked the movie a lot...but it had some weakpoints and things i didnt understand.....
1. Who killed Egon and how? Zuul, Keymaster, Gozer (in form of a Terrordog)...and how? Maybe fear? i don't know.
2. Why and how was Ivo Shandor still alive in some form? Why didn't egon did anything during the 20 Years he lived in Summerville?
3. the hole possession hookup plot between zuul & Keymaster was badly scripted. This plot was a little bit irrelevant.
4. where was the Sentinel Terrordog?
lairdphilip wrote: November 19th, 2021, 5:59 am i liked the movie a lot...but it had some weakpoints and things i didnt understand.....
1. Who killed Egon and how? Zuul, Keymaster, Gozer (in form of a Terrordog)...and how? Maybe fear? i don't know.
2. Why and how was Ivo Shandor still alive in some form? Why didn't egon did anything during the 20 Years he lived in Summerville?
3. the hole possession hookup plot between zuul & Keymaster was badly scripted. This plot was a little bit irrelevant.
4. where was the Sentinel Terrordog?
1) I'm guessing the Gatekeeper, as it haunt the chair just like in the original. He died of fear.

2)He did do a lot in the 20 years. He was building the traps and the machines needed to stop the 2021 ghost outbreak, locate the place, etc. He knew he was getting old and that's probably why he decided to sacrifice himself if his original plan failed. He hid the trap when the plan to capture both terror dogs failed and thought out a plan b on the spot, he had to get the help of his family.

3) yeah I agree, but at least it led to an awesome looking skeletal Gozer.

4) Don't know, could be the Sheriff in disguise, which perhaps got cut for time? Total fan fiction though.
lairdphilip liked this
I loved it. I know it was shameless fan service and far from a perfect script, but I think it was exactly what I've been waiting on for the last 30+ years. I really feel like Sony tried to do it the "right" way to be true to the fans.

Since the first time I saw the movie in the 80s I've loved everything about the franchise. The moment I walked out of Ghostbusters 2 I asked my dad "when will Ghostbusters 3 come out?" I can't put into words how deeply happy it made me to see this film. I have a laundry list of easter eggs, cannon inconsistencies, and tweaks, but I decided to not leave that here and instead just express how grateful I am to this community, to the actors and artists involved, and to Sony for finally making a dream come true.
Ok, after seeing the movie yesterday and thinking about it till now, my mind is an absolute mess.

Overall I liked the movie, the actors were great, especially McKenna. The overall way the movie was crafted really spoke to me, very well made.

The Problems that I have with it are all plot/writing based.
Maybe some things went over my head, maybe I am not seeing some things connecting so please help me out if you have an answer or explanations for my questions:

- What was that sentinel terror dog about?

- Why would Egon just sit in that chair knowing this thing would come inside?

- Why did the grid fail when Egon tried to activate it? He never made any mistakes in his calculations, why now ?

- How did he manage to catch the terror dog when it was inside the well (and it immediately returned there after release)?

- When the terror dog gets released from the trap, why does it have the horns upward like the sentinel terror dog?

- Why and how is Ivo Shandor alive and who put him there ? Did Egon not care about him when he installed the proton packs in the mine ?

- who put the coming years onto the wall and where was that knowledge gathered ?

- Who stopped the other crossrips/Gozer comings in the past from 1984 downward?

- why is there no explosion when the streams are being crossed automatically in the mine on a constant basis? Egon himself said every molecule in your body explodes at the speed of light if the streams are crossed. in the first movie the explosion is so big that it even splatters the marshmallow man

- How come Phoebe doesn’t believe in ghosts and then suddenly does without an explanation?

- Why is Muncher there in the factory (or whatever it is) when there hasn’t been a ghost sighting in 30 years and no ghosts can escape out of the well because of the mounted stream crossing?

- Why do they have to keep driving once the stream has gotten a hold of Muncher ? Should that not stop him from moving forward?

- Why would (out of all beings in the GB universe) Ray be the one to not believe or help out Egon when he talked about another crossrip ?! And why would someone like Egon leave everyone behind, steal the equipment and go out on his own after everything that happened?!

- If Egon took all the equipment when he left, how can the OGs be in full gear when they show up? Are those the packs from the mine ? If so, how did they get it or knew they were there ? Why and how do they even show up out of the blue and arrive just in time?

- When Gozer shows up she does absolutely nothing but sit there on the throne ? Whats the agenda? Doesn’t the traveller show up in one of the pre chosen forms as the destructor? Whatever happened to that ? What are the rules for this?
- Why do the OGs just casually try to cross the streams on Gozer ? In the first movie they did it to reverse the particle flow through the gate and therefore close it. Here they just want to blow everything up or what?

- The whole Gozer Showdown situation comes off as too comical, too Real Ghostbusters like to me. In the first two movies the villain was always presented as a real threat to the guys and to the world. I did not have that feeling here at all.

To me the movie left a lot to be desired. I wanted to like it, I wanted to love it, I wanted it to be perfect. And it isn’t. I just wrote myself into a rant here, I am sad about me not being able to like the movie as much as I would have wanted to.

If anybody can explain at least some of these points away, I’d be very happy.
I don’t want to be that negative about everything.

On one hand I am totally happy that we got the movie and that it is not a bad movie. On the other hand I’m totally thrown off by the points I just mentioned.
I will give this another few viewings and hope that it will grow on me.
I was happy with the film. I was extremely surprised at how well the actors were for Phoebe and Podcast.

The prologue was badass as hell. The fact that they essentially made Egon the equivalent of a star wars force ghost worked better than I expected.

I agree that the movie felt pretty heavily edited, especially in the last act and I'd love there to be a directors cut set for a home release but even if not, I'm happy with where they're taking the franchise. I hope it does well enough to continue the story.
Kingpin liked this
GhostbustersZorge wrote: November 19th, 2021, 6:28 am
- If Egon took all the equipment when he left, how can the OGs be in full gear when they show up? Are those the packs from the mine ? If so, how did they get it or knew they were there ? Why and how do they even show up out of the blue and arrive just in time?
Ray said, "Egon took Ecto1 our Cadillac, his neutrona thrower, His Coliderpack, all the Traps and 60oz Fuel Isotope"
I saw it on Wednesday after we watched the first two films, and listened to the GBII soundtrack on the drive to the theater.

What a tremendous film! There were some very minor issues I had, but like all good films, they didn't matter in the end because the acting carried the suspension of disbelief.

The only things I didn't like were...

-The score was great by itself, but there were too many instances of literally carbon-copying the Bernstein score for the exact same beats. The Venkman piano theme and the trap-closing music would've been more than enough.

-there weren't enough ghosts in general, especially during the ghost montage

-I'm assuming the idea for the post-credit scene came after filming was completed, because Ray said the firehouse was turned into a Starbucks.

-the lack of any real connectivity to GBII, while unnecessary, was annoying, considering they referenced a Kenner toy from 1987 and ran out of ways to reference the first film by the end. The first film is obviously very important, but it felt treated like it was severely underrated, which it's not.

-The first 30 minutes or so felt super awkward, but I almost feel like it was intentional since they're trying to re-establish a universe for the first time since 1989. I'll need to re-watch it to re-assess how I feel.

-Finn Wolfhard was the weakest/least interesting character in this film. Maybe that's a good thing for the "Stranger Things clone" clamoring people.

Overall it's a really great film, and I can't wait to watch it over and over again for free as an AMC employee.

That is so cool about the Gigameter. Did anyone see the toaster from GBII or hear the 60's version of the theme song? I completely didn't.
Ecto24601 liked this
lairdphilip wrote:
GhostbustersZorge wrote: November 19th, 2021, 6:28 am
Ray said, "Egon took Ecto1 our Cadillac, his neutrona thrower, His Coliderpack, all the Traps and 60oz Fuel Isotope"
Ok, thank you that explains it.

Also i think i wrapped my head around the sentinel terror dog problem. There simply is no sentinel terror dog. What we saw in the beginning behind the chair and also what came out of the trap were simply the spiritual versions of Zuul and Vinz. From the toys i thought the sentinel terror dog was a new entity. Guess that made me missunderstand those scenes because they looked so different from their physical forms combined with the wrong knowledge about a "new" kind of terror dog.
GhostbustersZorge wrote:
lairdphilip wrote:
Ok, thank you that explains it.

Also i think i wrapped my head around the sentinel terror dog problem. There simply is no sentinel terror dog. What we saw in the beginning behind the chair and also what came out of the trap were simply the spiritual versions of Zuul and Vinz. From the toys i thought the sentinel terror dog was a new entity. Guess that made me missunderstand those scenes because they looked so different from their physical forms combined with the wrong knowledge about a "new" kind of terror dog.
There was a trailer breakdown with Jason Reitman and he said the Sentinel Terror Dog was the form that the Terror Dogs take just before they possess someone. So that whispy look we saw just before Zuul attacked Egon is a Sentinel Terror Dog. The whispy look of Vinz Clortho when he escapes the trap is a Sentinel Terror Dog. The only issues I have with this, are A) the Toy makes it seem like a whole new entity; and B) Why is this even necessary?

As for the HQ being a Starbucks - I think the post credits scene was an afterthought, and they didn't have time to reshoot Aykroyd's phone call with Phoebe. I think the easiest explanation is that the HQ was owned by Stantz and Starbucks bought the HQ from him. Winston, then turned around and bought the HQ from Starbucks. Ray was none the wiser, and maybe didn't go to that section of town because the memories were too painful.
JonXCTrack wrote: November 19th, 2021, 9:32 am...The only issues I have with this, are A) the Toy makes it seem like a whole new entity; and B) Why is this even necessary?...
Exactly this.
Last edited by Kingpin on November 20th, 2021, 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.Reason: Fixed quote coding
Curious on everyone's thoughts on this - but now that we've seen Afterlife, and knowing what we know about "Alive Again" and the kind of sequel Ivan was really pushing for prior to 2016, do you think Afterlife was the way to go?

While it's hard to compare a finished movie with something that only existed on paper, I found Phoebe and the overall family angle to be much more endearing than seeing a new group of 20/30 year old comedy stars subbing in for the OGs.
Kingpin liked this

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]