Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Looking back at the Muncher sequence the character has a real "RGB" vibe to it, ghosts generally just throw things but Muncher had a sub machine gun built in spitting out particles of metal. Also found it funny how when Podcast threw out the trap it landed on it's side, in RGB it always landed the right way up.
I love that they show the shortcomings of the standard trap and why the RTV is a great idea.

i'm back from my third viewing! Love it more everytime I see it. Still didn't see the slinky nor the ghost sniffer. But I can confirm my theory!
Podcast wears the Ecto goggles but for no apparent reason other than them being a cool polaroid camera. As we don't get his POV wearing them at any point in the movie we can only speculate but I have one theory about it. The goggles are linked to the RTV. That's why he's able to steer it so expertly. Now I will need to see tomorrow if he wears them all the time when he steers the RTV at least in the chase sequences. But it would make sense.
He does! He wears them throughout the muncher chase in town, only outside when they head towards the bridge he doesn't. As the RTV is in clear view he wouldn't need them here.
When they flee Gozer's temple/mine with Zuul trapped inside, he wears the goggles all the way until he's driven the RTV back into Ecto.

Upgraded Ecto goggles are linked to the RTV and act like a drone camera for operation

It's a shame we don't see Phoebe try out the proton pack the first time after she finds it. When she shows it to Podcast she says that Egon showed her how it works...I would love to see that scene, no matter how roughly cut it is.

I was fuzzy about the sentinel terror dog form but I paid more attention and it is clear to me the sentinel terror dog is (just) the spectral form of the terror dogs. We can see it formed before it attacks Egon, with horns facing upward, and famously after it escapes the trap. Simple answer yet a bit disappointing.

The book Podcast reads about Gozer. We can see the cover briefly but it's clearly not the cover of Tobin's Spirit Guide we got with the Plasma Series Ray or that was teased in photos.

Also following up that scene it's Podcast and Phoebe together in her room. Next time we see Phoebe she's lead by PKE Egon to his lab. Grooberson is still flirting with Callie, so where did Podcast go? He was driven there by Gary so I don't think he left on his own. One of those nitpicks I have with the movie, same as the continuity shots of Ecto- lights on, next shot off, then on again. A shame when you consider how much time they had to smooth those things out before release.

Probably gonna see it again on Sunday. What a movie!!
LouisZeddemore wrote: November 26th, 2021, 8:01 am
Hairy Biker wrote: November 25th, 2021, 9:02 pm I was under the impression Bob Gunton was Egon in the opening.
Hm, now you got me thinking. I was under the impression Gunton was doing the spectral Egon (replacing the head in post production) and Cooper doing the opening sequence, as the car chase briefly showed some face characteristics. Could be the other way around, though.
A Vanity Fair article said Gunton did motion capture for Egon. That's all we know about his role so far.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... ife-ending
Podcast wearing the goggles I imagine was inspired by him being Ray’s symbolic successor. His enthusiasm for using the tech is bigger than anyone. His narrating events reminds me of Aykroyd’s big monologues in almost everything he has ever done. Learning Ray is a subcriber is total payoff of that connection. Even his hair is similar!
Avilos wrote: November 26th, 2021, 5:41 pm Podcast wearing the goggles I imagine was inspired by him being Ray’s symbolic successor. His enthusiasm for using the tech is bigger than anyone. His narrating events reminds me of Aykroyd’s big monologues in almost everything he has ever done. Learning Ray is a subcriber is total payoff of that connection. Even his hair is similar!
He's the heart of the new Ghostbusters!!!!!!!! :-D
Avilos liked this
For all the talk about the changes made to the proton pack, the only real visual "tech" change was the cyclotron. Some of the stuff on the spengler pack were workarounds and fixes, though they did mention upgrades as well. Though in the movie it behaved like normal, wonder if there's any scenes where upgrades working were deleted? Though im guessing the upgrades were basically the cyclotron spinning faster. And i suppose the bargraph now working differently could also be considered one.

Thinking about it, the Spengler pack may have been more powerful to some extent, as Gozer was having a hard time pushing back against it.
Last edited by gerv on November 27th, 2021, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As an artist I can see that the PP changes in Afterlife were done to balance out the symmetry. The Clippard disk was always the most anemic or bare part of the pack. In contrast to the busy ribbon cable side. It's logical they added the greeblies around the Clippard. A little too steampunk and random for my liking (rather than the sleek black manufactured look we are used to from '84)

But it makes complete sense in universe. It would have to be an "add-on" improvement, rather than a complete retooling.

The ripcord is the same. I remember reading that the pack was designed in 1984 to accentuate the body of the actors. The shell line and lower red legris cable running along the Clippard side and the opposite ribbon cable form a sort of Coke bottle shape to accentuate the waistline of the wearer.

The ION arm and the thrower accentuate the shoulders. The cyclotron the buttocks. It's actually very thought out.

The neon yellow ripcord in Afterlife is simply to balance the added greeblies on the Clippard disk. Like the ribbon cable it is colored, but a single color, but fluorescent. Yellow because that is the only accent on GB equipment (Ghost trap, Lifegard, suit hose, etc.) Neon yellow when dirty will look almost green. Slime color. It's genius.

Whoever designed the Afterlife proton pack, for me, deserves some kind of prop design Oscar.

It is the 84 pack, containing every thought out design element that made that pack an icon. But extrapolated with 30 years more of design knowledge, while completely congruent with the language of the original design. I think it's a masterpiece.
My personal opinion on the film is that I like it better than GB2. The story and characters, acting, and music cues tying back to the original while having their own sense of style were great.

There were two moments when I felt like the acting either detracted from the film or the film just flat out stopped.

Specificially (Spoilers)
This Post Contains Spoilers
Number two
This Post Contains Spoilers
I thought the visual effects were well done overall but kind of missed that original proton stream look. GB1 and 2 had a kind of solid core with lightning around it, while this was more of red lightning with blue lightning around it. But, it does kind of make sense as Egon did modify the original equipment.

I liked the music overall but did feel times where it was too loud for the scene or it didn't quite fit the emotion of the scene. These were infrequent but were there.

However, minor gripes aside, this really was a phenomenal movie and I immediately pre-ordered the digital release after I got home from seeing it on opening day. This movie was definitely worth the wait since 1989.
One time liked this
So...I just got back from a little expedition with my brother Ogre, our youngest brother, our youngest brother's significant other, and one of their friends...

In other words, I has seen it now.

I enjoyed it more than I expected to, to be honest.

I still have plenty of things that irritated the hell out of me about it, but I won't go into that right now.

There'll be a longer commentary when I have time and have processed it a little more.
Sav C liked this
One time wrote: November 27th, 2021, 10:42 am As an artist I can see that the PP changes in Afterlife were done to balance out the symmetry. The Clippard disk was always the most anemic or bare part of the pack. In contrast to the busy ribbon cable side. It's logical they added the greeblies around the Clippard. A little too steampunk and random for my liking (rather than the sleek black manufactured look we are used to from '84)

But it makes complete sense in universe. It would have to be an "add-on" improvement, rather than a complete retooling.

The ripcord is the same. I remember reading that the pack was designed in 1984 to accentuate the body of the actors. The shell line and lower red legris cable running along the Clippard side and the opposite ribbon cable form a sort of Coke bottle shape to accentuate the waistline of the wearer.

The ION arm and the thrower accentuate the shoulders. The cyclotron the buttocks. It's actually very thought out.

The neon yellow ripcord in Afterlife is simply to balance the added greeblies on the Clippard disk. Like the ribbon cable it is colored, but a single color, but fluorescent. Yellow because that is the only accent on GB equipment (Ghost trap, Lifegard, suit hose, etc.) Neon yellow when dirty will look almost green. Slime color. It's genius.

Whoever designed the Afterlife proton pack, for me, deserves some kind of prop design Oscar.

It is the 84 pack, containing every thought out design element that made that pack an icon. But extrapolated with 30 years more of design knowledge, while completely congruent with the language of the original design. I think it's a masterpiece.
:shock:

Trust me when i say accentuating someones arsecheeks or shoulders was most definitely NOT part of the brief when designing the pack. As far as i can recall the pack was simply designed to have a cobbled together look to it and not much more than that.

As for the afterlife pack, they just done very minimal changes to it, i doubt "balance" came into the equation at all, it's more likely they simply went with what they felt looked good\interesting while maintaining the look of the originals to a large extent.
Alphagaia liked this
An article on the news feed is saying they had plans for bringing back Vigo. No please. Jason, you gave us a wonderful movie but this is just...No, I do not want another Ghostbusters II. Vigo's done. Let the CGI Egon be a one time thing of bringing actors back from the grave.

I liked Vigo, but it's time to go in a fresh direction.

It's time to bring in Sam Hain, or the Boogie Man. I mean it's the perfect set up to bring in the BoogieMan. Egon just died, and his grand daughter could be having nightmares of Gozer coming back that draws him out. I think the next villain needs to be a fresh take at a hundred percent, or a villain from the comics or cartoons that would make Gozer look like a walk through the park.
Regarding a sequel, I'm sure they will try to make one, but I'm not really thrilled at the idea. This movie worked pretty darn well overall and despite many great ideas for additional sequels, I just don't know that anything could thread the needle as close as this movie did.

I just get really nervous, especially the way that Hollywood seems to approach movies and franchises these days. I don't want Ghostbusters to become the next string of good enough to entertain and make a buck franchise.

For example, the first Jurassic World was OK. Everything after that has not been good at all. The first new Star Wars had mixed reviews and the rest, well, you know.

The point here is, I think Afterlife is a great movie. I don't want to see that great movie become a springboard for a new "blockbuster" every 2-4 years with diminishing returns each time.
There's a reason why Jason filmed Afterlife the way he did, but going back to the old villain well isn't going to work twice. It was fine to close the chapter on Gozer and pass the torch. The mini puft's are new and I could see them becoming almost as popular as the minions.

The RGB villains aren't exactly new but they have potential as to not be stale. Jason has potential to strike gold twice by keeping things fresh.
*NormalGamer* liked this
timeware wrote: November 27th, 2021, 6:40 pm An article on the news feed is saying they had plans for bringing back Vigo. No please. Jason, you gave us a wonderful movie but this is just...No, I do not want another Ghostbusters II. Vigo's done. Let the CGI Egon be a one time thing of bringing actors back from the grave.

It's time to bring in Sam Hain, or the Boogie Man. I mean it's the perfect set up to bring in the BoogieMan. Egon just died, and his grand daughter could be having nightmares of Gozer coming back that draws him out. I think the next villain needs to be a fresh take at a hundred percent, or a villain from the comics or cartoons that would make Gozer look like a walk through the park.
Villains like Samhain and the Boogieman have never debuted in live action before but there's great potential for them being the next rogues in future GB stories in film. A great opportunity to start fresh.
Jason Reitman texted Olivia Wilde, asking she would be down to play Gozer. Emma Portner did any Gozer bits that involved unusual body language and did the body performance for the spirit of Gozer.
https://www.thewrap.com/ghostbusters-af ... explained/

Don't remember if it was ever verified but on Collider's Ladies Night, Mckenna Grace confirmed the wrap gift given to everyone was that Trap on a holder with their name on it and it turns on and off (4:44 mark), when she auditioned Mckenna used the side notes and played Phoebe more robotic and flat but Jason asked her to put more 'Mckenna' in Phoebe and they ended up somewhere in the middle (22:32-23:33), and Logan slipped and fell in the Muncher scene (in the Foundry I take it) and Mckenna was the only one on set who laughed (25:48).
https://collider.com/mckenna-grace-inte ... afterlife/
*NormalGamer* wrote: November 27th, 2021, 8:56 pmVillains like Samhain and the Boogieman have never debuted in live action before but there's great potential for them being the next rogues in future GB stories in film. A great opportunity to start fresh.
Agreed, I forget if I said it in this thread or in one of the others, but I want thw next movie to not involve Gozerian mythos and to not be another end-of-the-world scenario. Also I agree we don't need Vigo to return. Just a difficult bust of the week that isn't solved in 5 minutes like what we've seen in RGB, EGB, or even in the IDW comics. Boogieman is a great example. But I wonder how he'd react to a deadpan reaction from Phoebe. :D
timeware wrote:An article on the news feed is saying they had plans for bringing back Vigo. No please. Jason, you gave us a wonderful movie but this is just...No, I do not want another Ghostbusters II. Vigo's done. Let the CGI Egon be a one time thing of bringing actors back from the grave.

The videogame brought back Vigo in the best possible way - comic relief. Trying to make him a big bad again would be a huge mistake. If they do my reaction is going to be way harsher on Gil and Jason than Afterlife. Jason can direct, but the franchise needs a writer with the creative vision when it comes to the fresh ideas and ghosts - beyond repeating what went before. Real Ghostbusters is one way they could go but I’d want the rogues gallery from the show to be significantly reimagined for live action.

Given Jason hinted at Ecto 1A having it’s own plot… I’m worried we’ll get Afterlife: Spot the GBII Reference Edition… and I DO NOT want that. I want Ghostbusters with a new antagonist. Do the Hellhattan idea, a rival team, an RGB story as basis - don’t give us Vigo brainwashing people via smartphone.

Let Dan loose on the script while an original writer is still with us, and then Jason and Gil can reel him in and ground it afterwards whilst continuing to tell the story of their own characters. The way Aykroyd is kinda shafted when he is an original creative voice is disappointing.
gerv wrote: November 27th, 2021, 3:14 pm
One time wrote: November 27th, 2021, 10:42 am As an artist I can see that the PP changes in Afterlife were done to balance out the symmetry. The Clippard disk was always the most anemic or bare part of the pack. In contrast to the busy ribbon cable side. It's logical they added the greeblies around the Clippard. A little too steampunk and random for my liking (rather than the sleek black manufactured look we are used to from '84)

:shock:

Trust me when i say accentuating someones arsecheeks or shoulders was most definitely NOT part of the brief when designing the pack. As far as i can recall the pack was simply designed to have a cobbled together look to it and not much more than that.

As for the afterlife pack, they just done very minimal changes to it, i doubt "balance" came into the equation at all, it's more likely they simply went with what they felt looked good\interesting while maintaining the look of the originals to a large extent.
As weird as it sounds I remember Chuck Gaspar or Terry Windell describing this. The scene that was playing behind him as he explained it was the moment the door to Dana's destroyed apartment falls in and the guys are seen in the light coming from behind.

I will edit this post with the interview as soon as I run into it again.
Why do you all think they didn't really say proton pack..or at least Ray didn't? He called it something thrower and collider pack.

Also what do you think the timeline is from 91-2021? Like when did Egon leave, call Ray etc

A movie like this doesn't need to have a big bad. I'd love to see more run of the mill ghosts get captured in action scenes. But this franchise could easily transition to a mystery type of movie (I guess like scooby do?). Visiting a haunted house, finding secret rooms etc, finding a ghost that's friendly. Each movie doesn't have to have a demigod that brings tons of PKE to the world etc.
GhostFaceX wrote:A movie like this doesn't need to have a big bad. I'd love to see more run of the mill ghosts get captured in action scenes. But this franchise could easily transition to a mystery type of movie (I guess like scooby do?). Visiting a haunted house, finding secret rooms etc, finding a ghost that's friendly. Each movie doesn't have to have a demigod that brings tons of PKE to the world etc.
A sequel will hopefully have the budget for several "busting" sequences like the Scoleri's or Muncher, but movies like these 100% need a central antagonist as a macguffin to structure the various comedic / dramatic / scifi elements. Otherwise what you're describing is a TV series. And given they already sort of did a haunted house with the Dirt Farm, and have hinted at a return to NYC... I don't think they'll be doing a spooky mansion story any time soon.
GhostFaceX wrote: November 28th, 2021, 1:25 amWhy do you all think they didn't really say proton pack..or at least Ray didn't? He called it something thrower and collider pack.
I think he just said those terms during the jail phone call scene. He said something like, "His neutrona thrower, collider pack, all the traps, 16 ounces of fuel isotope all gone. He cleaned us out."
GhostFaceX wrote: November 28th, 2021, 1:25 amAlso what do you think the timeline is from 91-2021? Like when did Egon leave, call Ray etc
There's a separate thread about it in this Afterlife section.
GhostFaceX wrote: November 28th, 2021, 1:25 amA movie like this doesn't need to have a big bad. I'd love to see more run of the mill ghosts get captured in action scenes. But this franchise could easily transition to a mystery type of movie (I guess like scooby do?). Visiting a haunted house, finding secret rooms etc, finding a ghost that's friendly. Each movie doesn't have to have a demigod that brings tons of PKE to the world etc.
They could have it be a really strong ghost or a demon controlling the lesser ones, like in the Conjuring movies, just as long as it's not interested in taking over the world, imo.

Also, just use your edit button instead of posting twice or more in a row. I merged these two.
Corey91 liked this
On this page, a few pics down, you’ll see the famous BTS pic of Gozer sitting on top the four GBs. Does this remind anyone of how Gozer sat in the new movie?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... p/74648750

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]