Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
I suspect that if nothing else, the studios will attempt to save AMC when theaters reopen by drastically altering their profit share for a few movies or for a few weeks. They won't necessarily like taking the hit, but what good is it having a bunch of movies waiting for release if there's no operating theater chain to release them in?
droidguy1119 wrote: April 7th, 2020, 5:36 pm I suspect that if nothing else, the studios will attempt to save AMC when theaters reopen by drastically altering their profit share for a few movies or for a few weeks. They won't necessarily like taking the hit, but what good is it having a bunch of movies waiting for release if there's no operating theater chain to release them in?
Since movie studios are barred by law from owning movie theatres and the Trump administration wants to do away with that law, some people are thinking the movie companies will let the theatres go bankrupt and then take them over. That would be bad for everyone. Let’s hope the big conglomerates do the right thing.
droidguy1119 wrote: March 30th, 2020, 9:24 pm This movie is too expensive to have ever gone to digital. I would say (and I might be too lenient) that a $50m budget is going to be about the most expensive movie that got zero theatrical play any studio is going to risk going to digital.
Disney is now putting Artemis Fowl straight to Disney+ after it was suppose to go to theatres. The official budget is 125 million but after delays and some reshoots I’ve heard it’s a bit higher.

Of course there’s the already announced Trolls 2 from Universal which cost about 90 million.

So I guess it all depends on the individual movie. Let’s be honest, Artemis Fowl was never going to be a hit or a franchise. Disney+ is probably the smart move for it.
Alphagaia wrote: April 8th, 2020, 8:55 am I'm not sure if we can compare the position from Disney with Sony.

Disney can funnel their losses into spicing up their own Channel in a world where everyone has to stay home and watch television. They can kickstart their platform way earlier now, and Sony just doesn't have that luxury.
That’s true, no one can really compare with Disney. I wasn’t trying to make that comparison.

I was just noting that these 2 movies released on streaming platforms or VOD cost more than 50 million.
I will, and should amend to: no movie with a budget of over $50m that the studio has genuine big box office hopes for is going to go to digital (it sounds like Artemis Fowl wasn't exactly looking like a big win). And it's true that Disney is arguably the outlier here, since Disney+ money is going into their coffers. Maybe if Universal makes good on their thoughts about buying VUDU from Walmart, then we'll see if maybe Universal puts some non-Fast stuff up.
Studios have a serious interest in movie theaters being open so while we don't have AMC theatres here I imagine there will be some type of bail out done for the theatre chain being they just did a bunch of add ons to their experience and as mentioned studios are not gonna make 20 million dollar films for streaming only...they're no doubt looking at their metrics for what they do release and release early but will this assist in ending the theatre experience? In my opinion? no. Will it help reshape lot of maybe how films are released and the seating structure of theatres? Maybe. Like the housing market here in Canada I imagine there's some big changes coming. In the mean time...I keep hoping they'll bump the film to June 2021 rather then March...I don't feel like watching a film made near me in summer is gonna be as fun to watch knowing it's still snowing outside :(
RealGhostbusterJay wrote: April 25th, 2020, 5:16 amIn the mean time...I keep hoping they'll bump the film to June 2021 rather then March...I don't feel like watching a film made near me in summer is gonna be as fun to watch knowing it's still snowing outside :(
Only way this is going to happen is if Sony's previous summer 2021 films can't get made or are unavailable. As mentioned, this is going to be the big question for studios. They're all going to have somewhere between 1.5 and 2 years' worth of movies to put out in 1 year, so they have to move Summer 2020 stuff to Spring 2021 because Summer 2021 stuff is already slated.
Kingpin liked this
Assuming we're all in a good enough position to have the cinemas open again in a close approximation to pre-pandemic conditions (I'm still not quite used to referring to a "pre-pandemic world"), next spring is probably going to be a rather busy one, movie-wise.
deadderek liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: April 26th, 2020, 1:24 am
RealGhostbusterJay wrote: April 25th, 2020, 5:16 amIn the mean time...I keep hoping they'll bump the film to June 2021 rather then March...I don't feel like watching a film made near me in summer is gonna be as fun to watch knowing it's still snowing outside :(
Only way this is going to happen is if Sony's previous summer 2021 films can't get made or are unavailable. As mentioned, this is going to be the big question for studios. They're all going to have somewhere between 1.5 and 2 years' worth of movies to put out in 1 year, so they have to move Summer 2020 stuff to Spring 2021 because Summer 2021 stuff is already slated.
At the end of the day we can state our views on how they'll roll out projects. I worked on films that didn't see a release for years after they were supposed to. It really just depends on so many things that we have no control over. In the meantime I'll keep hoping.
Feeling is they had a slight chance in August/September to release the film before wave 2 of the Pandemic. The worst of the Pandemic is said to be happening in December. Depends on the other flu confusing people, and if/when states/countries go back under Lockdown in October. Hopefully people will take the second wave seriously. I'm more worried about people not taking state/country orders seriously and making things much worse than they should be.

Hopefully by March though, everything will be getting back to normal in time for the release. But that assumes theaters will still be around to show films in March. That's a completely different matter.
Since the main discussion thread is temporarily locked, I will post this here: Sony has licensed off another movie, their Cinderella adaptation, this time to Amazon Prime. Personally, I actually think this reinforces the fact that Sony is holding Afterlife for theaters (which I would guess the majority of users firmly believe to begin with), since this comes after Jason posted that Instagram update.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/cami ... 234968065/
groschopf, deadderek liked this

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]