Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
timeware wrote:May I suggest creating an Afterlife Review topic seperate from this thread? It would give us a chance to post our reviews and critique reviews without disrupting this thread. It's also no surprise that people are using reviews to air their grievances.
Kingpin and I decided against it weeks ago. People will just have to hold back on posting their reviews and wait a few day(s) until we post the thread midnight Friday.
jonogunn wrote: November 16th, 2021, 6:31 pm
jonogunn wrote: November 16th, 2021, 6:28 pm Currently 77% on RT… usually these ratings start high then drop so I’m expecting the ratings to drop to maybe 65-70% come release day
And just like that it’s at 67% now
Wait until the audience scores come in, it'll be like night and day.
EddieSpenser liked this
SpaceBallz wrote: November 16th, 2021, 8:57 pm
jonogunn wrote: November 16th, 2021, 6:31 pm

And just like that it’s at 67% now
Wait until the audience scores come in, it'll be like night and day.
No doubt. But I usually trust the critics score more than audience. Eternals had the same effect and I’m a huge Marvel fan. That film was as bad as they say but it was also not very good in so many plot related annoying ways.
So it’s sounding like more and more the problems a lot of us thought this movie was going to have are huge problems with critics.

Critics hate nostalgia, fan service, Easter eggs, and repeated plot threads. This movie leans heavily into all of those. Especially lately after all the reverence the zeitgeist seems to have for the 80s and 90s. I’m seeing a lot of critics whose opinions I generally respect lament on how the the film just isn’t very funny.

Some of you probably don’t care about the rottentomatoes score. But it is extremely important for box office which makes it important if we wanna se new adventures of this franchise.
EddieSpenser liked this
Critics hate nostalgia, fan service, Easter eggs, and repeated plot threads.

Well, I hate to break it to the critics but that's what Afterlife is. It's a continuation of the franchise so all that old stuff is going to be there. Of course there's going to be repeated plot threads there always are in a Ghostbusters film. The group forms, investigates the ghosts, traps the ghosts, saves the day.

Shit, even if Afterlife was separate from the OG's you wouldn't be able to please everyone. Look at Ready Player Ones score. Seems pretty even for an original movie with Nalstogic repeated plot threads. Lol.
timeware wrote: November 16th, 2021, 10:44 pm
Critics hate nostalgia, fan service, Easter eggs, and repeated plot threads.

Well, I hate to break it to the critics but that's what Afterlife is. It's a continuation of the franchise so all that old stuff is going to be there. Of course there's going to be repeated plot threads there always are in a Ghostbusters film. The group forms, investigates the ghosts, traps the ghosts, saves the day.

Shit, even if Afterlife was separate from the OG's you wouldn't be able to please everyone. Look at Ready Player Ones score. Seems pretty even for an original movie with Nalstogic repeated plot threads. Lol.
I give the critics the benefit of the doubt here to a certain extent. The force awakens is nostalgia and the plot is literally another Death Star lol. But they gave it good ratings still. Perhaps Afterlife leaned on the nostalgia with too much of an in your face kind of way. I this would make sense as I had an odd feeling when I saw the clip of Paul Rudd saying “i always wanted to do this”. I feel like that is a little too on the nose and if the film is filled with those then I can see why the critics mention the nostalgia negatively.

If I recall correctly the force awakens didn’t have any of those on the nose type lines. All their nostalgia was just putting us right back into that world, with all the icon stuff and beloved characters. No need to have Fin make a joke about power converters or something.
jonogunn wrote:
timeware wrote: November 16th, 2021, 10:44 pm

I give the critics the benefit of the doubt here to a certain extent. The force awakens is nostalgia and the plot is literally another Death Star lol. But they gave it good ratings still. Perhaps Afterlife leaned on the nostalgia with too much of an in your face kind of way. I this would make sense as I had an odd feeling when I saw the clip of Paul Rudd saying “i always wanted to do this”. I feel like that is a little too on the nose and if the film is filled with those then I can see why the critics mention the nostalgia negatively.

If I recall correctly the force awakens didn’t have any of those on the nose type lines. All their nostalgia was just putting us right back into that world, with all the icon stuff and beloved characters. No need to have Fin make a joke about power converters or something.
Once I see it, I'll be able to offer an informed opinion as to whether the so-called critics have legitimate gripes. My gut tells me that for the most part the critics have a very surface level understanding and appreciation for the original films. They don't care about the lore, the technobabble, or the pseudo science. They likely didn't watch the cartoon, which leaned into these things, and shaped our love for Ghostbusters. Without an appreciation for these things, how could they possibly like a third film that exists solely to further expound upon the established universe?
Last edited by JonXCTrack on November 17th, 2021, 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrmichaelt, Kingpin, deadderek and 1 others liked this
Ghostbusters does seem to be singled out by critics calling the fanbase “crybabies” and nostalgia suddenly being a bad thing, despite glowing review for Force Awakens etc.

Anyway, I would find out myself tomorrow as my ticket is booked, but… obviously after this long wait… I am ill. Perfect timing. :angryvigo:
I’ve seen the movie twice now and for what it’s worth, I don’t think they went overboard with the nostalgia at all. I believe that Jason Reitman and Gil Kenzan found the perfect balance. [removed by moderator]

People who say that it did either don’t like Ghostbusters or wanted another reboot (making another reboot would have been the worst decision imaginable in my opinion).

The original Ghostbusters universe has its rules and its tools. Afterlife introduces how everything works to a new generation.
^that’s good to hear.

Even if it’s only okay I hope Sony doesn’t lose faith in the franchise. I red a headline in a review saying that GB1 may have just been a lucky one off where everything came together and can’t be recreated.

Which I obviously disagree. Just when the new Star Wars trilogy made fans lose hope The Mandalorian comes out and proves that you can still make Star Wars related material that completely stray from the main Skywalker plot but still feel like Star Wars and exists in that world with completely unique and unrelated characters.
Davideverona wrote: November 17th, 2021, 2:41 am
Alphagaia wrote: November 17th, 2021, 2:01 am In my seat in an empty cinema, but that's to be expected at 10.00 in the morning hehe. Ten minutes to go!

Here we gooooo.
We're expecting a full review. Use spoiler tags if needed 😁
mrmichaelt wrote: November 16th, 2021, 6:50 pm
timeware wrote:May I suggest creating an Afterlife Review topic seperate from this thread? It would give us a chance to post our reviews and critique reviews without disrupting this thread. It's also no surprise that people are using reviews to air their grievances.
Kingpin and I decided against it weeks ago. People will just have to hold back on posting their reviews and wait a few day(s) until we post the thread midnight Friday.
As mrmichaelt noted yesterday, we're requesting people hold back from posting reviews until the official talkback thread goes live on Friday.
I don't think any of us should be surprised if it doesn't do the numbers we hope for - as many of us have said many times, the Ghostbusters fanbase is miniscule compared to the Star Wars or Marvel fanbase. If only we love it, and it's just for us, it's not going to make much money.

What we have to hold out for is excellent word of mouth and a family audience picking it up. It's very smart to lean on the kids and Ant-Man in the posters, as there is recognition factor for a younger audience. Certainly Finn Wolfhard has a niche pull with tweenagers too, so that can't harm it. Also children don't tend to be reading review sections, so it's a family movie that's on that the parents sort of remember - it ought to be a shoe-in for a saturday afternoon out. I figure it'll be the kids that decide on the fate of this one, one way or another.

But yeah, pandemic fear, cynical audiences, a delayed backlash to Rise of Skywalker attacking anything even vaguely nostalgic. It's an uphill struggle for Afterlife for a lot of reasons beyond anything to do with the film.

I'm desperate for it to do well, just because I love to see labours of love rewarded. I think it has been made with the best intentions, and I think a lot of critics are muddling sincerity (possibly to a mawkish degree, but hey) with cynicism because a lot of folks just don't consider Ghostbusters to have lore. It should be gags over continuity in the wider critical mindset, but there's not much anyone can do about that. They're not entirely wrong, but they're not entirely right either.

I just want it to be wonderful, I guess, and I'm not sure (being an Alien fan too) how many more "hahaha it's rubbish you're an idiot!" outcomes I can take.
robbritton wrote: November 17th, 2021, 3:28 am I'm desperate for it to do well, just because I love to see labours of love rewarded. I think it has been made with the best intentions, and I think a lot of critics are muddling sincerity (possibly to a mawkish degree, but hey) with cynicism because a lot of folks just don't consider Ghostbusters to have lore. It should be gags over continuity in the wider critical mindset, but there's not much anyone can do about that. They're not entirely wrong, but they're not entirely right either.
The thing I find hugely frustrating to the point I will wrestle with anyone online over it... is the erasure of Ghostbusters cultural impact outside of the movie. For those who weren't fans, Ghostbusters was a one-off irreverent comedy... but as we know, it wasn't just that... it spawned multiple incarnations and series which broadened the lore and concept... it made a huge impact on many kids growing up in that era in the same way Star Wars did, MCU did in the last decade, Turtles did for some a few later etc.and the erasure of that as somehow being 'sad' or illegitimate, and the politicization of whether the franchise even has a right to exist is baffling... and hypocritical on a mass scale. It's extraordinary at least as a microcosm of the wider culture wars at play in modern society. I just hope the franchise can scrape through and prove itself so we get a sequel and a series, and just more of it.

On the positive side, I don't think online discourse impacts getting bums on seats in cinemas. I wonder if there will be a slightly more revealing TV trailer post release weekend showing the OG's in order to sway those still unaware this is GB3.
robbritton, deadderek, Wafflerobot and 2 others liked this
Kingpin wrote: November 17th, 2021, 3:26 am

As mrmichaelt noted yesterday, we're requesting people hold back from posting reviews until the official talkback thread goes live on Friday.
Sure, I didn't want a review right now 😁
But maybe Alpha can pm me to tell me if he liked it.
Kingpin wrote: November 17th, 2021, 3:26 am

Without trying to be difficult, can I ask why wait until Friday vs creating the thread now? I’m just trying to understand the logic of that when there are reviews popping up everywhere. I don’t know how anyone else feels but the people I most want to hear from are the people in this forum & what they think.

I feel for the people that live in countries that are getting a delayed release. The next couple weeks are going to be torture. Then again, I guess I’m in the same boat
Last edited by RichardLess on November 17th, 2021, 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alphagaia, deadderek, Wafflerobot and 1 others liked this
Today is the day!!!!!!!!!! Still not happy that we did not get our real ghostbusters 3 with the guys back in the 90s but at least this is a continuation and a set up for new adventures made by people that genuinely love ghostbusters. The kids will be older if a sequel gets made so as long as this movie is good im all for it!! come on 7pm!!!!!!! :)
Alphagaia liked this
Alphagaia wrote: November 17th, 2021, 7:01 am Lots of kids in the 4DX showing. Ten more minutes before it starts! Bring on the motion sickness for the Muncher Car Chase!
Good to hear. Would love for this to be a huge success in spite of sniffy response from some quarters. I mean, if Venom can do it, anything is possible.
Gonna try to avoid spoilers in this thread so please quote me if you reply.

Do all the other kids who get proton packs have normal proton packs or do theirs have extra wires, taped grip, shotgun grip etc?
I have a gut feeling that I shared with Alpha.
I was able to steer away from major spoilers, so this is entirely what my instinct says to me.

I don't think this will be the final chapter for the original Ghostbusters. They'll get to resolve their unfinished business with Gozer, but I strongly believe this will be a new beginning.

Why?

Because I sense a little sadness and embitterness in Ray's words.... And seeing a new generation discovering and embracing the science of Ghostbusting will revitalize his enthusiasm.

And the kids just scratched the surface of their grandfather's past. They have yet to see the Firehouse, the containment unit.

I can see the guys going back to New York. Im a couple of years the Spengler family relocate in NY too, Phoebe studying at the Columbia University and (with Trevor) helping Uncle Ray and Uncle Winston running the business (Aykroyd said in a Late Night interview: "McKenna is great, she becomes our new C. E. I.).

Maybe I'm wrong, but I firmly believe that in the next movie we'll get a live action Extreme Ghostbusters movie.
Sav C, ogswiss liked this
RichardLess wrote: November 17th, 2021, 6:30 am Without trying to be difficult, can I ask why wait until Friday vs creating the thread now? I’m just trying to understand the logic of that when there are reviews popping up everywhere.
I'm kinda curious as well. I see it tomorrow, so at least it gives me a little extra time to p̷r̷o̷c̷r̷a̷s̷t̷i̷n̷a̷t̷e̷ ̷m̷y̷ ̷a̷s̷s̷i̷g̷n̷m̷e̷n̷t̷s̷ write my review.
Ecto Containment Unit

Hey sorry I never saw this…it’s just […]

Greetings from Montana

Hey and welcome

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]