Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
I have to admit the tone of some of these reviews is worrying me a little. I was prepared for (and understood the audience recognition need for) a Force Awakens nostalgic leaning style deal, but I don't need to be bombarded by "do you remember?!" in every single scene particularly. For example I felt the symmetrical book stack in the first trailer was unnecessary and distracting and was really hoping the whole film didn't skew that way.

Maybe it's just that all my UK non-GB fan friends are flagging the Guardian review and going, "Ah, I knew it'd be rubbish from the word go"... It's quite dispiriting.

Reassure me, all! It's going to be ok, right?
If there is a logical reason for it then I don't mind an abundance of member berries, but don't overdo it.

For instance, regarding the booksstacking:
This Post Contains Spoilers
robbritton, SpaceBallz liked this
robbritton wrote: October 13th, 2021, 4:13 am I have to admit the tone of some of these reviews is worrying me a little. I was prepared for (and understood the audience recognition need for) a Force Awakens nostalgic leaning style deal, but I don't need to be bombarded by "do you remember?!" in every single scene particularly. For example I felt the symmetrical book stack in the first trailer was unnecessary and distracting and was really hoping the whole film didn't skew that way.

Maybe it's just that all my UK non-GB fan friends are flagging the Guardian review and going, "Ah, I knew it'd be rubbish from the word go"... It's quite dispiriting.

Don't worry about the guardian review. While that paper does some good work on politics their opinion and culture articles are identity politics focused garbage. I think most Brits know that.
RichRyan1507 liked this
robbritton wrote:I have to admit the tone of some of these reviews is worrying me a little. I was prepared for (and understood the audience recognition need for) a Force Awakens nostalgic leaning style deal, but I don't need to be bombarded by "do you remember?!" in every single scene particularly. For example I felt the symmetrical book stack in the first trailer was unnecessary and distracting and was really hoping the whole film didn't skew that way.

I wouldn’t worry. I just found out that one of my friends was at NYCC and saw the movie. He said it’s great. I trust him. He refused to give me any spoilers because he said going in with as little knowledge as possible will make the experience even better.
robbritton, Alphagaia, groschopf and 1 others liked this
Screw the negative reviews.

There's a few different types of critics we are going to have to sit, or read through. The paid critics who never saw the original films, the critics who went to see it who didn't want to see it and are getting paid anyway or the generational gap of critics who were 30 when the original film came out, and those who are still bitter from five years ago.

I hate Rotten Tomatoes, but the high score is a good sign. This could just be the woodstock generation wagging their fingers at the Pacman generation. Don't woory about it.
groschopf, SpaceBallz liked this
Big Spoiler for Movie Opening
lozbloke, Jimsy33 liked this
People are putting WAY too much emphasis on critic reviews, RT scores, etc. Seriously, not a single person should give a rats ass what those people think about the film, whether it's positive or negative! It's one of the things I hate about this ridiculous "influencer" generation and how much importance is put on other people's opinions.

It sounds like this is truly the best GB3 any of us could have hoped to be made at this time, under these circumstances and as long as you love it, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I know Rotten Tomatoes has a major effect on the success and longevity of a film in theaters, but it sucks people put so much stock in it these days.

Enjoy the movie for yourself!

I could not be more excited about what folks are saying about the film and based on what has been revealed, this is going to be an incredibly special experience for fans and non-fans alike!
lozbloke, Dr.D, Kingpin and 2 others liked this
moviemaker29 wrote: October 13th, 2021, 8:42 am People are putting WAY too much emphasis on critic reviews, RT scores, etc. Seriously, not a single person should give a rats ass what those people think about the film, whether it's positive or negative! It's one of the things I hate about this ridiculous "influencer" generation and how much importance is put on other people's opinions.

It sounds like this is truly the best GB3 any of us could have hoped to be made at this time, under these circumstances and as long as you love it, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I know Rotten Tomatoes has a major effect on the success and longevity of a film in theaters, but it sucks people put so much stock in it these days.

Enjoy the movie for yourself!

I could not be more excited about what folks are saying about the film and based on what has been revealed, this is going to be an incredibly special experience for fans and non-fans alike!
My friend, who's as big a fan as I am, who saw it at NYCC said it was amazing - and that's all I need to know to be hyped.
Alphagaia wrote: October 13th, 2021, 8:58 am I've decided to stay away from this thread now on. Not everyone uses spoiler tags and it's impossible to ascertain what is real or not.

On top of that it's just the same few arguments on repeat so I think I'm good.

Have a good one, and see you on the flip side!
We'll look forward to seeing your input and participation again once the film's on general release.

We'll probably create a whole new topic for that so that there's a fresh start. :)
groschopf, Sav C liked this
Likewise gentlemen, I will be stepping away from this thread. But I wanna say it's been quite a ride. I know like alot of you, I've been waiting for this movie basically my whole life. It's been so nice to have been a part of this community for all these years, watching all the different versions of GB3 come and go...convinced it would never really happen. Can't wait for the next few months of agonizing over every detail of this new story.

See you on the other side fellas...
Kingpin, moviemaker29, robbritton and 4 others liked this
I had another thought about the direct/indirect references. If the story is so heavy on the new characters discovering who the OGB were, then I don't think the reference aspect will be as distracting as some of these reviews are implying. Maybe a few will seem a little too much, but if those are funny, then mission accomplished, I say.

With that said, I would really prefer that Gozer/Zuul are not in the sequel, should it happen.
pizzarat wrote:I had another thought about the direct/indirect references. If the story is so heavy on the new characters discovering who the OGB were, then I don't think the reference aspect will be as distracting as some of these reviews are implying. Maybe a few will seem a little too much, but if those are funny, then mission accomplished, I say.

With that said, I would really prefer that Gozer/Zuul are not in the sequel, should it happen.
Agreed. I'd like to see this set up a live action streaming series. I feel like that format lends itself to new Ghostbusters content for a longer period of time. It also lends itself to guest spots from the old guard, should they want to appear. Dan Aykroyd showed up on Catherine Reitman's Working Moms a few times. Ernie Hudson showed up in an episode of How I Met Your Mother. Bill Murray would likely never show up again, but who knows.
pizzarat, groschopf liked this
pizzarat wrote: October 13th, 2021, 10:59 am With that said, I would really prefer that Gozer/Zuul are not in the sequel, should it happen.
100%. I get why they're doing it for this film, but it does feel a bit like well-trodden territory (especially after reading the IDW series).

Surely they'll introduce new villains going forward.

pizzarat, JonXCTrack, robbritton and 1 others liked this
groschopf wrote:
pizzarat wrote: October 13th, 2021, 10:59 am With that said, I would really prefer that Gozer/Zuul are not in the sequel, should it happen.
100%. I get why they're doing it for this film, but it does feel a bit like well-trodden territory (especially after reading the IDW series).

Surely they'll introduce new villains going forward.

Leslie Nielsen - well done.
JonXCTrack wrote: October 13th, 2021, 11:06 amAgreed. I'd like to see this set up a live action streaming series. I feel like that format lends itself to new Ghostbusters content for a longer period of time. It also lends itself to guest spots from the old guard, should they want to appear. Dan Aykroyd showed up on Catherine Reitman's Working Moms a few times. Ernie Hudson showed up in an episode of How I Met Your Mother. Bill Murray would likely never show up again, but who knows.
Since Ernie mentioned a 4th film possibly in the writing phase. I'd be down for something as simple as Dan or Ernie hanging around and mentoring the kids. Kinda like Egon in Extreme Ghostbusters. Not taking the spotlight from the cast, just popping in and sharing old man wisdom. If any of the other OG's wanna pop up, that's cool too.
Kingpin, pizzarat liked this
Bloodvayne wrote: Since Ernie mentioned a 4th film possibly in the writing phase. I'd be down for something as simple as Dan or Ernie hanging around and mentoring the kids. Kinda like Egon in Extreme Ghostbusters. Not taking the spotlight from the cast, just popping in and sharing old man wisdom. If any of the other OG's wanna pop up, that's cool too.
Dan and Ernie being mentors to a young team would be perfect.
Wafflerobot, groschopf, SpaceBallz and 1 others liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: October 13th, 2021, 1:03 pm
Bloodvayne wrote: Since Ernie mentioned a 4th film possibly in the writing phase. I'd be down for something as simple as Dan or Ernie hanging around and mentoring the kids. Kinda like Egon in Extreme Ghostbusters. Not taking the spotlight from the cast, just popping in and sharing old man wisdom. If any of the other OG's wanna pop up, that's cool too.
Dan and Ernie being mentors to a young team would be perfect.
TOTALLY. They were great as a duo in that "judgment day" scene in the first film.

Winston's able to the see forest when Ray is just planting his face in a tree and studying it. They'd be great at counterbalancing one another educating a new team on technical details without overlooking the wider picture.
Kingpin liked this
What's crazy to me at this point is how worthless the reviews have turned out to be.

Spoilering some broad points made by the reviews in case anyone is dodging them:
I still have no idea what to expect. I've loved everything we've seen so far. The Ecto-Muncher chase alone looks legendary. So regardless, I think this movie is truly made for us, and that's awesome.

Very excited Ernie has let slip about a potential sequel because I don't think we'll be waiting as long as we have for Afterlife.

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]